We can brings small knives again

DrD

Small pocketknives and an array of sporting equipment -- banned from aircraft cabins in the wake of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks -- will once again be allowed in U.S. planes, the head of the Transportation Security Administration said Tuesday.

Knives with blades that are 2.36 inches (6 centimeters) or shorter and less than a 1/2 inch wide will be permitted on U.S. airline flights as long as the blade is not fixed or locks into place. Razor blades and box cutters are still not permitted.

Two golf clubs, toy bats or other sports sticks -- such as ski poles, hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks or pool cues -- will also be allowed in carry-on luggage.

Transportation Security Administration head John Pistole said the changes will take effect April 25 and will bring the United States into alignment with international rules.

Small pocketknives and an array of sporting equipment -- banned from aircraft cabins in the wake of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks -- will once again be allowed in U.S. planes, the head of the Transportation Security Administration said Tuesday.

Knives with blades that are 2.36 inches (6 centimeters) or shorter and less than a 1/2 inch wide will be permitted on U.S. airline flights as long as the blade is not fixed or locks into place. Razor blades and box cutters are still not permitted.

Two golf clubs, toy bats or other sports sticks -- such as ski poles, hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks or pool cues -- will also be allowed in carry-on luggage.

Transportation Security Administration head John Pistole said the changes will take effect April 25 and will bring the United States into alignment with international rules.

Yes.. I just had my many year Swiss knife STOLEN from me by the TSA.

The TSA agent told me that I was a "threat to air commerce"...

(Imagine that!?!?! I flew jets for over 40 years and, served in the military!)

I had it hanging on a house key, I had in my carry-on. I was bitter about her taking it away from me and, I am still bitter.

It was MY FAULT for not putting the house key in my luggage. I just never gave it one iota of a thought.

Now, TSA has at LAX, I understand averages over 40 of the little Swiss knives daily. B-T-W.,

I used them mostly for nail clipping with the little scissors.. :mad:

I saw this as well today. How long will it take for the cruise lines (who aren't using TSA) to stop confiscating multitools and the like?

Yes.. I just had my many year Swiss knife STOLEN from me by the TSA.

The TSA agent told me that I was a "threat to air commerce"...

(Imagine that!?!?! I flew jets for over 40 years and, served in the military!)

I had it hanging on a house key, I had in my carry-on. I was bitter about her taking it away from me and, I am still bitter.

It was MY FAULT for not putting the house key in my luggage. I just never gave it one iota of a thought.

Now, TSA has at LAX, I understand averages over 40 of the little Swiss knives daily. B-T-W.,

I used them mostly for nail clipping with the little scissors.. :mad:

So why didn't you just mail it home to yourself? My DH has carried a little swiss army knife for as long as I have known him. He travels a lot for work and doesn't always remember to leave it at home. When the rules first changed, he lost 3 knives. In the last couple of years, he has mailed his knife home 3 times. TSA had mailers at security and he just had to pay a ridiculously high postage fee. Sad part of the whole thing is, twice he has mailed his knife home from Denver though he leaves from Boston and typically connects in Denver.:cool:

Why are you carrying knives? I travel extensively and after flying around the world to many different countries over many years I have yet needed a knife during my journey. :confused::confused:

They are a threat, and as for all those sports equipment, it belongs in only one place, and that isn't in the cabin. They can also be used as a weapon.

People bring enough junk onboard which clutters up the luggage space and delays boarding, and as a result take off, because someone can't get their precious oversized carry on (the size of these are sometimes a joke being allowed to be classed as carry on, the owner can't lift them, and why should the cabin attendants risk a hernia because of someone's overweight bag?) and it also delays disembarkation while people struggle getting the bags out.

IMHO the airlines and the authorities have become far to lenient in what they allow onboard. It should be even stricter in my view. Less clutter, fewer potential weapons and smaller carry on bags mean a faster more relaxing journey.

Why are you carrying knives? I travel extensively and after flying around the world to many different countries over many years I have yet needed a knife during my journey. :confused::confused:

That has been your experience and opinion.

They are a threat, and as for all those sports equipment, it belongs in only one place, and that isn't in the cabin. They can also be used as a weapon.

So can a hot cup of tea or coffee, a pen, a pair of high heels, and/or a belt? What ever do we do now?

People bring enough junk onboard which clutters up the luggage space and delays boarding, and as a result take off, because someone can't get their precious oversized carry on (the size of these are sometimes a joke being allowed to be classed as carry on, the owner can't lift them, and why should the cabin attendants risk a hernia because of someone's overweight bag?) and it also delays disembarkation while people struggle getting the bags out.

Totally agree with you here.

IMHO the airlines and the authorities have become far to lenient in what they allow onboard. It should be even stricter in my view. Less clutter, fewer potential weapons and smaller carry on bags mean a faster more relaxing journey.

Well it isn't in line with UK rules so anyone from the US expecting to take knives onboard in your carry on, don't be surprised if its confiscated by security at airports here. The TSA rules don't apply in the UK.

Well you have a problem with knives, sports equipment, and carry on bags. I suppose you think pretty soon we should all travel naked to make it simple, faster and safer.......

Well it isn't in line with UK rules so anyone from the US expecting to take knives onboard in your carry on, don't be surprised if its confiscated by security at airports here. The TSA rules don't apply in the UK.

Very true indeed...if one is expecting to fly into the UK to pick up a cruise. Under those circumstances, it would be ill advised.

So why didn't you just mail it home to yourself? My DH has carried a little swiss army knife for as long as I have known him. He travels a lot for work and doesn't always remember to leave it at home. When the rules first changed, he lost 3 knives. In the last couple of years, he has mailed his knife home 3 times. TSA had mailers at security and he just had to pay a ridiculously high postage fee. Sad part of the whole thing is, twice he has mailed his knife home from Denver though he leaves from Boston and typically connects in Denver.:cool:

Excellent question..

It was because the post office at DEN was NOT open as yet. We were at the terminal at 6:30 AM for an 8:10 AM

departure... Plus, even if it was open, I would have dreaded to have to stand in the TSA security line AGAIN... :(

You never know when your plane might get lost in a storm and land up on a tropical, deserted island. You just never know. :rolleyes:

My little Swiss knife is a personal use tool, like scissors, nail file, toothpick, tweezers and, a little 3 in. knife blade.. Hardly takes up ANY space..usually in my pocket for personal hygiene.

And, most certainly NOT a "threat to air commerce". Only a fool would believe that!

Excellent question..

It was because the post office at DEN was NOT open as yet. We were at the terminal at 6:30 AM for an 8:10 AM

departure... Plus, even if it was open, I would have dreaded to have to stand in the TSA security line AGAIN... :(

I am pretty sure he got the mailer at security, filled out a form they had, paid and went on his way. He didn't have to go out and come back to security. He hasn't had the problem in a while because he gets frisked before he leaves the house now because Santa is getting sick of putting a new knife in his stocking every year.:rolleyes::p

My little Swiss knife is a personal use tool, like scissors, nail file, toothpick, tweezers and, a little 3 in. knife blade.. Hardly takes up ANY space..usually in my pocket for personal hygiene.

And, most certainly NOT a "threat to air commerce". Only a fool would believe that!

This is the one my DH carries. The knife is 2 1/4 inches long! Tiny little thing.

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Classics/Classic-SD/53001

Yes, the change is coming and I know from working with TSA I do not feel it is the right move...but I feel it is getting to please the public...and when the day happens again terrorist attack...then people will want the stricter rules again.

TSA does not steal your things that your given the option of taking it back to your car, checking it in, mail it to yourself, or give it to someone that is not flying. Passenger choose to surrender the item.

I myself fly many times...I have even had to surrender items due to forgetting and knew it was my mistake ( it was due to an airline said I got free bag check in and when I went to do it...said no and told me to carry it on instead.had forgot that liquids was in there).....cause when I choose to fly I know the rules I have to go by!

I will be waiting for people to start complain that different type of clubs wanting to be included....I for myself would love to see a monopod or tripod ...but know it is not allowed and know I have to still check it in and follow the rules if I like it or not...when I choose to fly.

Friends had a small knife/corkscrew confiscated by security from their carryon when boarding the Enchantment in Baltimore last week. They said it was because of the knife.

And yet they could have gotten a much bigger and better knife at Chops. That's just stupid.:mad:

This is the one my DH carries. The knife is 2 1/4 inches long! Tiny little thing.

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Classics/Classic-SD/53001

Ha! :D

That was it..mine was black.

I now have a RED one, just exactly like that one...so,

I can see it better, if it is in my carry on. ;)

I bet when the Swiss Army knife folks made those, they never envisioned it to be a

"threat to air commerce"... :(

Ha! :D

That was it..mine was black.

I now have a RED one, just exactly like that one...so,

I can see it better, if it is in my carry on. ;)

I bet when the Swiss Army knife folks made those, they never envisioned it to be a

"threat to air commerce"... :(

Also who would of thought that planes would fly into the twin towers and come down in NY by terrorist!....20 years ago!

I will be waiting for people to start complain that different type of clubs wanting to be included....I for myself would love to see a monopod or tripod ...but know it is not allowed and know I have to still check it in and follow the rules if I like it or not...when I choose to fly.

Tripods are allowed in your carry-on; many photographers, myself included, fly with them all the time. I have heard some airlines don't like or allow them, perhaps the one you usually fly, but it isn't a TSA thing. No way is my expensive tripod being put in my checked bag so the baggage handlers can steal it!

Archived