Just off Riviera - Musings, Ramblings and Notes

Dr. Cocktail

Dr. Cocktail - you said you took one of the cabins with the extended balcony. We originally took one, but was able to upgrade to a PH on deck 11 for a reasonable sum, but due to the overhang, had practically no sun there. For our next O cruise - March 2014, we again booked a B-3 cabin - 7108, which is the first one towards the stern. We like to avoid the crowds near the pool, so are hoping to have 2 loungers put on the balcony and get our sun there. Is that a reasonable expectation (assuming that it is a sunny day?)

Hi Benita: with much discussion, we were able to get one chair - two was not possible.

If you're coming from Boca, I would just buy one or two cheap ones (seriously) at Target or such and bring them along.

Hi Benita: with much discussion, we were able to get one chair - two was not possible.

If you're coming from Boca, I would just buy one or two cheap ones (seriously) at Target or such and bring them along.

Funny, you should mention that. Awhile ago, there was a discussion about whether O would allow the cabin steward to place loungers on the extended balconies - those are the only ones big enough to accommodate them. I threatened to bring along our own if that was not possible, but I was able to look at the balconies while in port on this cruise and many had the O loungers on them. I was curious to hear if there was enough sun exposure to get a tan, as part of the balcony is still under the overhang.

Funny, you should mention that. Awhile ago, there was a discussion about whether O would allow the cabin steward to place loungers on the extended balconies - those are the only ones big enough to accommodate them. I threatened to bring along our own if that was not possible, but I was able to look at the balconies while in port on this cruise and many had the O loungers on them. I was curious to hear if there was enough sun exposure to get a tan, as part of the balcony is still under the overhang.

All depends on where the sun is in relation to the ship's position ie there is more than enough exposed area to get a tan if the sun is out!!! Our stewardess said sometimes they can get loungers and sometimes they can't (that's today's nonanswer!!!)

We couldn't use the veranda for the last three days as it was too cold and, of course, in Guatemala it was too hot!

This will be out our third time in a B4 extended veranda coming up. We never thought of asking for loungers but will do so for our cruise next month. On our last two cruises, I moved the chair out into the extended part of the deck and there was plenty of sun provided the sun was in the right direction. My husband sat under the eave in the shade. Depends where you are if the wind is a factor. We like the extended balconies.

Benita - since i was the one who made the comment about the extended balcony - I'll share this - we were in 7135 - a PH3 on the starboard side that sits at the stern of the ship with the 'wrap-around' veranda.. We asked ahead of time for two lounge chairs to be placed on the extension and they were there when we boarded. (And yes, Dr Cocktail, i did read the entire post and realize she was talking about a different cabin category --- don't like to get my hand slapped twice! :cool: )

Really enjoyed reading all of your comments about the Riviera.

We will be on the Riviera in June.

Could you tell me about the shows, and are they at the same time every evening?

What time do we have to go to have a leisurely dinner, if we want to see the show that evening?

Really enjoyed reading all of your comments about the Riviera.

We will be on the Riviera in June.

Could you tell me about the shows, and are they at the same time every evening?

What time do we have to go to have a leisurely dinner, if we want to see the show that evening?

Not knowing how "leisurely" you care to make your Dinner, I'll restrict my response to the timing of the Entertainments.

The shows in the Main (Riviera) Lounge do not start at the same time each evening, as the running time of the performances will vary, but you can count on them having an early show at around 6PM and a later one at around 9PM. (actual times will be listed in the daily program).

The Orchestra plays for dancing beforehand, for about a half an hour, and in any case the Horizon's Lounge has dancing to live as well as recorded music from 6PM until closing time (think midnight) every night.

Those shows in the Riviera Lounge will not be duplicates of one another, as Oceania typically doesn't repeat performers (or performances) unless one is predicted to be a particularly big draw.

This does not apply to the ship's "troupe" of singers and dancers of course, as they perform in a series of different shows throughout the voyage.

We were just on the Riviera for the 2/22 sailing. There was one show in the Riviera lounge every night @ 9:30 except the last night which was @ 6:00. We made all but one show with either an 8:00 reservation in a specialty restaurant or a 7:30 in our suite. The night we ate in LaReserve we didn't get there in time.

Not knowing how "leisurely" you care to make your Dinner, I'll restrict my response to the timing of the Entertainments.

The shows in the Main (Riviera) Lounge do not start at the same time each evening, as the running time of the performances will vary, but you can count on them having an early show at around 6PM and a later one at around 9PM. (actual times will be listed in the daily program).

The Orchestra plays for dancing beforehand, for about a half an hour, and in any case the Horizon's Lounge has dancing to live as well as recorded music from 6PM until closing time (think midnight) every night.

Those shows in the Riviera Lounge will not be duplicates of one another, as Oceania typically doesn't repeat performers (or performances) unless one is predicted to be a particularly big draw.

This does not apply to the ship's "troupe" of singers and dancers of course, as they perform in a series of different shows throughout the voyage.

Hi JimandStan:

Our sailing on Riviera only had one show in the lounge each evening at 9:30. There were no early shows.

I had a very long and relaxed chat with David Shermet, the amazingly affable CD about this issue. I said I liked to dine late and never had the chance to see the shows and on the one evening I pushed to make the end of the Lloyd Weber show, people were standing two deep at the back.

He said that when they tried two shows, the early one would have literally 40 people show up which looked terrible for the performers. However, he said that one show put huge stress on the Grand Dining Room with everyone itching to get out on time. There was no easy answer.

We have only had 1 show at 9:30pm one night they did have a special show at 8pm

But most cruises have 1 show

I think with the Inaugural cruises that J & S were on they did have 2 shows so that the special TA's & friends could see it all

We were at shared tables for the specialty restaurants, with leisurely service. With a 7:30 reservation, we got out just about 9:30, which is early enough to see a show, but not early enough to get a seat, so there were huge crowds standing. The problem is, there is a large section of seating behind that area and unless people stood behind the center few seats, they blocked the view from that section, so there were loads of people yelling to others to move over. Not too pleasant, so we started skipping the shows. If there was one at 6pm, I probably would have gone. Next cruise, I think I will make reservations for 8:30 and skip the shows entirely. The shows are popular enough that the demand outreaches the seats when there is just one show and I do not want to put up with the aggravation.

I found a nice-looking sign on the web, but it can't be uploaded here, so perhaps something along the lines of the following simple sign could be posted outside the concierge and executive lounges, with special mention of "NO BATHROBES" added to it.

ANE-8384_300.gif

Why in the world are passengers allowed to "hang" aroung the ship in bathrobes? I can see if you are in the spa or by the pool..but I don't want to see that in public areas.. what the heck is going on?

We were at shared tables for the specialty restaurants, with leisurely service. With a 7:30 reservation, we got out just about 9:30, which is early enough to see a show, but not early enough to get a seat, so there were huge crowds standing. The problem is, there is a large section of seating behind that area and unless people stood behind the center few seats, they blocked the view from that section, so there were loads of people yelling to others to move over. Not too pleasant, so we started skipping the shows. If there was one at 6pm, I probably would have gone. Next cruise, I think I will make reservations for 8:30 and skip the shows entirely. The shows are popular enough that the demand outreaches the seats when there is just one show and I do not want to put up with the aggravation.

+1

There is not much of a slope so that raised area at the back has a poor view as it is but with folks standing in the walkway it is impossible. Staff s/b dealing with this but I have not seen it happen. A couple of times when we did arrive late and decided to stay we, like others in that back area have left due to the constant bobbing and weaving around those folks in the walkway

We also usually dine later and with just the one show each evening we do not get to see a show. Might drop in to take a quick look (and keep our heads out of others sight lines) but like you do not want to deal with people standing in the walkway or disturbing others while trying to find a seat (though the rows are nice and wide to pass by those already seated)

I sympathize if the early shows have had such a small audience. If they offered a 6:00 pm show we would definitely attend and enjoy a before dinner cocktail in the theatre rather than on our balcony. Knowing now that they have occasionally staged early shows we will watch Currents in case they do this on an upcoming cruise. It would be great - we just might increase the audience by 5%

Fortunately, I consider dinner my evening's entertainment. Nothing could draw me away from a lovely meal with good conversation, especially not the kinds of so called shows most cruise lines offer. This is just my opinion and I understand that others may feel differently.

Fortunately, I consider dinner my evening's entertainment. Nothing could draw me away from a lovely meal with good conversation, especially not the kinds of so called shows most cruise lines offer. This is just my opinion and I understand that others may feel differently.

We do consider dinner as our evening entertainment as well, one reason why we prefer to dine late but that does not preclude a drink and show before dinner. We do not expect to be captivated at the shows but simply relax and a little entertainment after a full day touring. And if there is stand-out moment, all the better

We've been on 6 O cruises, albeit on the R ships, and there haven't been 2 shows per night. EXCEPT last cruise on Regatta, there was the magician one night at 6 pm and then 3 times there was a short show in Horizon at 10:30 pm or so.

I'm with you on this one, wripro. Rarely go to a show, often go to a lounge for a while, like listening to some nice music, something low-keyed and quiet. Then off to bed! Don't think this will change on Oceania--they seem to share even entertainment providers with Regent, so my expectations are low.

My dining experiences on Oceania have taught me that the larger the party at your table, the lengthier the dining experience. If you choose a table for two only, you easily can dine very leisurely and beautifully in less than two hours, but as you add more people, the service time slows down. (Also, there always will be someone choosing every course offered, which also substantially affects the timing as well.

So I am much more social on nights that I have no interest in the show on offer.:)

]We asked ahead of time for two lounge chairs to be placed on the extension and they were there when we boarded.[

Could you please tell me whom you asked? We'll be in 7135 in just a few weeks and would love some lounge chairs! Thank you.

]We asked ahead of time for two lounge chairs to be placed on the extension and they were there when we boarded.[

Could you please tell me whom you asked? We'll be in 7135 in just a few weeks and would love some lounge chairs! Thank you.

I had initially gone online to the 'Guest Services' to make the request for chairs ahead of time, but on arrival notice there were no loungers. Soon after checking in, a cabin attendant came by to say hello & at that point I asked for the lounge chairs and to stock the fridge with our preferred drinks. The fridge was stocked that evening and the chairs appeared on the deck the following morning when we were at breakfast. We thoroughly appreciated the rapid service and the extended balcony is well worth it..

Archived