Please Help Ultimate Beverage Lets Get Fact

Cruisegirl6

Any other recent experience for this -- if you order a drink over $10 are they making you pay for the full drink as opposed to the difference? On RCI you only pay for the difference, which is very fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Asked and answered many times. If the drink is over $10 you pay for the whole thing. If you prefer RCI's option then it is there for you to use.

I cannot personally find many things that are over the $10 limit.

Edited by Beaver1975

Asked and answered many times. If the drink is over $10 you pay for the whole thing. If you prefer RCI's option then it is there for you to use.

I cannot personally find many things that are over the $10 limit.

Sorry my question asking about RECENT experience apparently irritated you, but thank you for answering. As a very experienced cruiser I'm well aware that these programs and their rules are constantly changing.

I'm also well aware that another cruise line, of which I am a high level loyalty program member, is available to me as a vacation option... but thank you for the reminder.

No irritation here. Just answering the question again as you asked it again.

The answer is also contained in the terms and conditions listed on NCL.com. ;)

Glad to hear it, and thank you again. Frankly, I trust the information I get here over anything on the cruise line's website... Although perhaps I'm unfairly indicting the NCL website based on my terrible experiences with the RCI website LOL, where critical information is constantly wrong.

Glad to hear it, and thank you again. Frankly, I trust the information I get here over anything on the cruise line's website... Although perhaps I'm unfairly indicting the NCL website based on my terrible experiences with the RCI website LOL, where critical information is constantly wrong.

Trusting anonymous strangers on an Internet forum over the stated terms of a product that will cost several hundred dollars is probably not the smartest decision. Read them then ask for clarification if you need it.

Trusting anonymous strangers on an Internet forum over the stated terms of a product that will cost several hundred dollars is probably not the smartest decision. Read them then ask for clarification if you need it.

Not sure why you assume I haven't read "the stated terms of [the] product," but thank you for your advice. I've somehow gotten along just fine in the cruising world with a good deal of help from knowledgable posters on CC over the years. Even if the above poster was wrong about the very minor aspect of the beverage package I asked about, which I'm quite confident s/he is not, I'll survive (and the error would be favorable to me anyway). No need to be dramatic.

MY advice is to not trust cruise line websites as gospel. If you want to read many examples of a cruise line website materially misleading people, hop on over to the RCI forum. I haven't dealt with NCL for long enough yet to know whether they suffer from any of the same issues with their website, which happens to be why I came here to verify with the most current information.

Edited by Dave85

Okay... can someone help us out with the math here?

We (three, but lets just say two because one of us is a three and a half year old) are booked for a 10 day cruise in an inside cabin because that's all we need, but with this inside cabin you can't get the promo that is going on right now.

If we switch to a oceanview, the minimum to be able to get the promotion, the cost of the trip goes up $340.

How many drinks are $340? Over the course of 9 days (the last doesn't count) for two people how much would we need to drink a day to make it worth upgrading our room to save money on drinks in the long run with the promo?

We (three, but lets just say two because one of us is a three and a half year old) are booked for a 10 day cruise in an inside cabin because that's all we need, but with this inside cabin you can't get the promo that is going on right now.

If we switch to a oceanview, the minimum to be able to get the promotion, the cost of the trip goes up $340.

How many drinks are $340? Over the course of 9 days (the last doesn't count) for two people how much would we need to drink a day to make it worth upgrading our room to save money on drinks in the long run with the promo?

It's difficult to answer that, not knowing what you drink, but to give a simple calculation, if you work on a drink that costs $10 including tips then you would get 34 of them for that cost, so just a couple each every day would make it worth it.

If you drink beer then as long as you drink more than 4 each per day then it would be worth it.

Wine is slightly harder. For $340 you can get about 14 bottles using Viva Vino, but paying by the glass you are probably only talking about a couple of glasses each every day.

Just as an aside, why doesn't the last day count? If it is a 10 night cruise then you have 10 evenings as you are likely to be onboard for most of the drinking time on embarkation day. Or is it just a 9 night cruise?

Edited by KeithJenner

The way I see it, in addition to figuring out how many drinks is "worth it", don't you also need to figure in how much it's worth to you to have the oceanview vs an inside? Surely that's worth something.

Over the course of 9 days (the last doesn't count)
If you are referring to disembarkation day, you're right: it doesn't count. Your cruise will have 10 full afternoons/evenings, plus disembarkation day which will actually be day 11 of your 10 day cruise. And you can in fact continue to use the UBP on disembarkation morning if you are so inclined.

Also at 3 1/2 years old your child would be getting a child soda package as well. That price also fits into the equation. Our daughter was able to get any of the juices used as mixers for the other drinks form the bar with her soda package, orange juice, pineapple juice, apple juice, etc. She loved a sprite/juice combo.

I just booked my cruise, and it was a no brainer to upgrade. My total cost moving from an inside cabin to outside guarantee was only $80 pp ( UBP was free). They offered a $200 cabin credit, UDP ($238) or UBP ($770). I ended up in cabin 5070. I feel it is worth the additional cost just for the view.

My wife and I have used the UBP on both our cruises with NCL. We don't consider ourselves heavy drinkers but enjoyed the variety of drinks offered.

If we had bought our drinks we would have spent over $2000. If you drink a couple of sparkling wines with your evening meal, several in the theatre and regularly the rest of the day it doesn't take long before it adds up. I think it is exceptional value considering they are all premium brands and allows you to try a bit of everything without worrying how much it will all cost.

hic!! hic!!

It's difficult to answer that, not knowing what you drink, but to give a simple calculation, if you work on a drink that costs $10 including tips then you would get 34 of them for that cost, so just a couple each every day would make it worth it.

If you drink beer then as long as you drink more than 4 each per day then it would be worth it.

Wine is slightly harder. For $340 you can get about 14 bottles using Viva Vino, but paying by the glass you are probably only talking about a couple of glasses each every day.

Just as an aside, why doesn't the last day count? If it is a 10 night cruise then you have 10 evenings as you are likely to be onboard for most of the drinking time on embarkation day. Or is it just a 9 night cruise?

$340 divided by 2 people divided by 9 nights is $18.89 per day, including gratuity.

Before gratuity, that's $16.43 per day. That is about 2 mid grade drinks... or maybe 2 drink of the days and like a soda.

$340 divided by 2 people divided by 9 nights is $18.89 per day, including gratuity.

Before gratuity, that's $16.43 per day. That is about 2 mid grade drinks... or maybe 2 drink of the days and like a soda.

My wife likes a Malibu bay breeze by the pool and wine our a cocktail at dinnet, so two during the day, two at dinner.

I drink rum and coke or Jack and coke almost exclusively, but its a boat in the tropics so I will most likely get something with an umbrella at some point..

My wife likes a Malibu bay breeze by the pool and wine our a cocktail at dinnet, so two during the day, two at dinner.

I drink rum and coke or Jack and coke almost exclusively, but its a boat in the tropics so I will most likely get something with an umbrella at some point..

You will make out then... and you will have a window too. I'd do it! :)

And oops I quoted the wrong person.

And if you regret your umbrella drink you can toss it and change back to your jack and PEPSI or rum and PEPSI (lol)

You will make out then... and you will have a window too. I'd do it! :)

And oops I quoted the wrong person.

And if you regret your umbrella drink you can toss it and change back to your jack and PEPSI or rum and PEPSI (lol)

A window overlooking a beautiful life raft.. but yes, there will be a window.

We got lucky on the Jewel, the cabin was the one with a tiny little thing outside so it was basically unobstructed, but this time it's the Gem and I don't know if I can pull that off again.

A window overlooking a beautiful life raft.. but yes, there will be a window.

We got lucky on the Jewel, the cabin was the one with a tiny little thing outside so it was basically unobstructed, but this time it's the Gem and I don't know if I can pull that off again.

You get to select the room (not a guaranty)? Check deck plans and cabin reports and see if you can find something good. :)

My wife and I have used the UBP on both our cruises with NCL. We don't consider ourselves heavy drinkers but enjoyed the variety of drinks offered.

If we had bought our drinks we would have spent over $2000. If you drink a couple of sparkling wines with your evening meal, several in the theatre and regularly the rest of the day it doesn't take long before it adds up. I think it is exceptional value considering they are all premium brands and allows you to try a bit of everything without worrying how much it will all cost.

hic!! hic!!

Hello Silverhairedbee!

I was excited to see your comment about sparkling wine in regards to the UBP (because I love it, too!). Do they serve it by the glass or do they serve you the little split bottles? I seem to remember getting the little bottles in the past & was worried those wouldn't be part of UBP even though there are some available for less than $10! Thanks in advance!

Hello Silverhairedbee!

I was excited to see your comment about sparkling wine in regards to the UBP (because I love it, too!). Do they serve it by the glass or do they serve you the little split bottles? I seem to remember getting the little bottles in the past & was worried those wouldn't be part of UBP even though there are some available for less than $10! Thanks in advance!

Hi WCAS74,

We drank Prosecco which was served by the glass as far as I knew. It was included because it fell within the price limit of $9 which I think it was at the time. I don't recall if any other sparkling wines fell into that price bracket but we could have as much as we liked. We are looking forward to that again!!

Thanks for the sparking wine info! I enjoy Prosecco, so I am happy (& excited!).

One other question--this will be our first experience with the UBP. We are used to having a bottle of wine at dinner. Are the bar waiters pretty attentive at dinner if you have the UBP? We would probably want to have 2 (or 3) glasses of wine with dinner and I'm just wondering if the servers are as attentive as they would be if we were paying for each drink! We received the UBP as part of our booking and think we will buy the UDP, so will probably eat most dinners in the specialty restaurants.

Thanks again.

Are the bar waiters pretty attentive at dinner if you have the UBP? We would probably want to have 2 (or 3) glasses of wine with dinner and I'm just wondering if the servers are as attentive as they would be if we were paying for each drink!
Maybe there are some (bad) servers who treat people differently depending on whether they have the package or not, but it would be pretty hard to determine for sure that this was really happening, wouldn't it? Sometimes the servers get very busy and you may have to wait longer than you'd like to get that next glass of wine. It will obviously not be as fast and convenient as having your own bottle to pour from right at the table. But we've never experienced a problem getting multiple glasses of wine with the UBP during a meal.

okay... Can someone help us out with the math here?

n/a

Edited by Bocadude85