Weather...

ducklite

I've read at least a dozen posts from people this week complaining that the weather wasn't what they had expected or packed for on their cruise. Am I the only one who takes 30 seconds to look at one of the online weather forecasters (Weather Channel, Weather Underground, etc.) and check the weather for the next 10 days before I leave on a trip (cruise vacation, business, or otherwise) to see what I need to expect and be able to pack appropriately?

Was the weather not what they expected, or what they packed for. Many people cruise to escape cold weather. It's disappointing to spend all that $ and have cool weather - regardless of whether you were prepared or not

Also, those forecasts aren't always accurate - especially 10 days out.

In Northern Europe, at least, there's absolutely no point checking the weather for 10 days hence. You might as well toss a coin, heads for hot, tails for cold. Maybe weather in other parts of the world is more predictable.

Even average conditions aren't that much of a guide - going anywhere without a coat, for example, is a bit rash. We went to Lake Garda (Italy) in May 2002 - the average temperature is 22C (71F), but on our first day it was 6C (43F) - though on the lake it felt quite a lot colder. And for 2 of the 6 days, it didn't stop raining.

The temperature did reach double figures by the end of the week. (Into the fifties Fahrenheit.)

Was the weather not what they expected, or what they packed for. Many people cruise to escape cold weather. It's disappointing to spend all that $ and have cool weather - regardless of whether you were prepared or not

Also, those forecasts aren't always accurate - especially 10 days out.

It seems to be a combination of both. I know the forecasts aren't perfect, but they'll at least give you an idea.

Weather is what it is, there's nothing you can do but be prepared and make the best of it.

I've read at least a dozen posts from people this week complaining that the weather wasn't what they had expected or packed for on their cruise. Am I the only one who takes 30 seconds to look at one of the online weather forecasters (Weather Channel, Weather Underground, etc.) and check the weather for the next 10 days before I leave on a trip (cruise vacation, business, or otherwise) to see what I need to expect and be able to pack appropriately?

I often think the same thing....did you not look at the weather forecast? However, I will admit when I go out of town on business for just an overnighter, I often just "assume" the weather wherever I am going is the same as it is at home! Obviously, I am usually surprised by the weather where I am going and usually it is I am freezing!

I agree with OP! Nowadays it's so easy to check a ten-day forecast for any area, especially to know of any fronts headed that direction. Have made a game of it the past few years, writing down the forecast for wherever we'll be on a given day and then seeing how close the weather channel came. Most have been reasonably good; at least not enough off to ruin a day.

I think what ducklite is saying is that there seems to be a number of passengers who appear to complain about the weather on their cruise, and blame the cruise line. I know there have been a couple of posts this week implying that the cruise line should have prepared them for colder than expected weather. Of course, these same posters complain about absolutely everything on their cruise including smoking rules and a lot of other stuff they would have known about if they had done their research.

JMO -- but I think I lot of people have the idea that when they go on a cruise, the weather is going to be perfect -- sunny, no humidity, no rain, no winds, no rough seas, temperatures in the low 80's and the water warm everywhere.

I always check the weather for part of our vacations. Since we are usually gone for over 3 weeks, I can check for the first 10 days. But I pack so that we are prepared for anything.

Exactly. Coming from Minnesota, we have some cold winters. On some of our winter cruises and vacations, the weather isn't as nice as I would. Is it nicer than the temps in Minnesota when we're gone? Yes, usually, but if I take a cruise out of Florida or out of California, I'd want the weather to at least be in the mid to upper 70s. If it's upper 60s or low 70s, when you factor in being near or on the water, it's going to feel cooler than that, and you aren't going to want to be out on deck much.

I think what ducklite is saying is that there seems to be a number of passengers who appear to complain about the weather on their cruise, and blame the cruise line. I know there have been a couple of posts this week implying that the cruise line should have prepared them for colder than expected weather. Of course, these same posters complain about absolutely everything on their cruise including smoking rules and a lot of other stuff they would have known about if they had done their research.

It's a combination of people complaining about the weather, the cruise line's lack of control over the weather, and how they were uncomfortable because they made an assumption that proved to be wrong. It's all three.

I agree, the majority of things people complain about they would have known had they done the least bit of research or even just read their cruise docs.

Exactly. Coming from Minnesota, we have some cold winters. On some of our winter cruises and vacations, the weather isn't as nice as I would. Is it nicer than the temps in Minnesota when we're gone? Yes, usually, but if I take a cruise out of Florida or out of California, I'd want the weather to at least be in the mid to upper 70s. If it's upper 60s or low 70s, when you factor in being near or on the water, it's going to feel cooler than that, and you aren't going to want to be out on deck much.

That's a risk you take if you cruise in the winter. If you want to be sure that it will be warm to hot every day, only book in the spring, summer, and early fall.

It's 45 degrees at my house an hour from Port Canaveral right now. That's not atypical for this time of the year. People have this crazy notion that all of Florida is sunny and hot year round, if they'd do a teensy bit of research they'd find out that they are mistaken.

That's a risk you take if you cruise in the winter. If you want to be sure that it will be warm to hot every day, only book in the spring, summer, and early fall.

It's 45 degrees at my house an hour from Port Canaveral right now. That's not atypical for this time of the year. People have this crazy notion that all of Florida is sunny and hot year round, if they'd do a teensy bit of research they'd find out that they are mistaken.

Plus it rains in Florida - quite a lot. The last time we cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale it was chilly and raining when we walked outside at the airport. There were quite a few folks in shorts and sandals waiting for taxis who looked a bit uncomfortable. I always check one of the websites that have the monthly temperature / rain averages to get an idea of what the weather might be like in a certain area.

In this age of easy to obtain information, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Oh yah, I forgot. Few take blame for anything these days......... have to point the finger at someone else. Never our own fault for much. :rolleyes:

I think the last time I didn't check out the weather for my destination was back in 1993, when I didn't have access to the Internet. When to Seattle with my mother in November for a few days. It snowed. I had planned to take a walking tour of the area while my mother played bridge in a tournament. Fortunately I did bring a coat, but other than that....

Even if I'm going someplace for the day, I try to check out weather.com and maybe wunderground.com.

I imagine there are many people who come to Los Angeles for the first time, thinking it's always sunny and warm here. Hmm, today it was in the 50s as a high. Clearing skies after a rainstorm. Sometimes it gets colder during the winter, but we've also had temps in the 80s if the Santa Ana winds are blowing. We have many days in the spring where it's overcast in the morning. But if someone does their research, they would find out that most of our rain does come between November and March, and that we have something called "June Gloom" during the spring. And that the water in our ocean won't be like the warm water by the beaches of Miami. But it beats having to worry about keeping the water flowing in one's pipes during the winter or warming up the car before driving off.

Patty--We blame that thinking on the Rose Parade.

There are many places in SoCal that have to worry about pipes freezing-Frazier Park, Mt Baldy, Wrightwood. All three of those are no further than 90 minutes from either of us.

Of course I know that now, since I've been cruising since 2007 and I've experienced some cooler and downright cold temps in Florida. But you're right, it is a misconception that Florida is hot all year round. I've learned to pack for more than just hot, sunny weather when we cruise. But the people I work with seemed shocked when I told them how chilly the weather was in Jacksonville after I got back from our most recent cruise.

Would I ever think of blaming the cruise line for chilly or cold weather? Of course not, the cruise line isn't a god that can make sure it's always 85 and sunny when I'm board. And I'm still going to have a great time and how much fun I had on vacation is always the main focus, but if the weather is less than ideal, I will usually mention that as an aside.

Oh, and no, if I wanted to make sure every day was warm to hot, I'd cruise out of San Juan more often. Cruising the Caribbean in the spring and fall doesn't make much sense if the main purpose of a winter vacation is to escape the cold winter. If you experienced even one winter in the north, you'd understand better--temps below zero with windchills that can get to -30 and colder, not to mention snow, ice, and freezing rain that happen.

weather, you can try your best to wish for the best. and each port will be different than the next.

Planning your trips, getting the best price, always comes with some type of fun?

if you want to enjoy your trip, do not let some weather bother you.

we were poured on in ports but for a few minutes, where you wanted the rain, and other ports where it rained all day. and snowed on during summer, in Alaska. Some people never seen snow, some never seen rain on one side of street?

So again prepare, if taking a light poncho is out of the question, because you may not look cool, then so be it.

If you experienced even one winter in the north, you'd understand better--temps below zero with windchills that can get to -30 and colder, not to mention snow, ice, and freezing rain that happen.

I lived in the Northeast (including a few years in Syracuse) for over 40 years. I certainly understand cold, snow, ice, sleet, and freezing rain, and don't need a lecture on it. :rolleyes:

So again prepare, if taking a light poncho is out of the question, because you may not look cool, then so be it.

I hate ponchos, they are hot and clumsy. I bring an umbrella when I travel though.

then a garbage type will do :D a rain jacket acts as many uses and that is what we take, also an umbrella, like you said. some of the ships already have that in the closets, they think ahead and try to cater to peoples needs, what more can you ask for?

then a garbage type will do :D a rain jacket acts as many uses and that is what we take, also an umbrella, like you said. some of the ships already have that in the closets, they think ahead and try to cater to peoples needs, what more can you ask for?

You're missing the point. Ponchos of any type are hot and clumsy. I use an umbrella.

I lived in the Northeast (including a few years in Syracuse) for over 40 years. I certainly understand cold, snow, ice, sleet, and freezing rain, and don't need a lecture on it. :rolleyes:

Ahh... Syracuse - a city I love to hate, but need for their airport!! ;) :)

The only time We've ever complained about the weather at any port (Caribbean) was... it was just too damned hot and humid!! :D

Archived