Where is Explorer now?

Dw tells me the trip has been very rough, and they will not be calling at Labadee as scheduled. PR will be first port call. Anyone have any other information.

I figured with the storm they'd have a rough ride, but this is the first I've heard anything about a port issue. Does that mean your DW is onboard? Those onboard would know more than we would.

I just received a message on facebook.

Maureen

4:09pm Mar 7

Hi very very windy and rocky on the way down!!!! We are missing Labadee and will go to PR as our first port.Windows in the DR broke. The tabletop blew off on our balcony. Thank god things are finally settling down.

I just received a message on facebook.

Maureen

4:09pm Mar 7

Hi very very windy and rocky on the way down!!!! We are missing Labadee and will go to PR as our first port.Windows in the DR broke. The tabletop blew off on our balcony. Thank god things are finally settling down.

That doesn't sound like fun. I checked AIS, but it is out of range. Hope things improve and you hear more soon.

From what I can tell, they were only off the coast of Norfolk at 0100 today according to sailwx (I think that's zulu time which is GMT, meaning 8 or 9 pm last night. They should have been farther south. When EX passed Sandy in the fall, they had one window at the front of the ship (gym) break due to something breaking lose and hitting it. This storm wasn't as intense or large as Sandy. It'll be interesting to see. We missed Sandy by one cruise and now missing this storm by one.

I just checked Marine Traffic and EX is heading into San Juan. My guess is she'll be there before 9 am (ET), so they're getting extra time there since they apparently did miss Labadee yesterday. THey're coming in from the north instead of from the west like they would from Labadee. I just find it interesting no one else onboard has posted about it. With them being in San Juan today, we should hear more.

She's docking right now (7:30 am ET) in San Juan. If they're there til they're scheduled, it makes for a nice long day to leave the San Juan area and nice excursions.

I just checked Marine Traffic and EX is heading into San Juan. My guess is she'll be there before 9 am (ET), so they're getting extra time there since they apparently did miss Labadee yesterday. THey're coming in from the north instead of from the west like they would from Labadee. I just find it interesting no one else onboard has posted about it. With them being in San Juan today, we should hear more.

Just spoke with BFF, she is on the ship now. They arrived in San Juan at 8 this morning, and will still till approx 10 tonight. Because of the storm they encountered, they could not make it to Labadee. Much damage was sustained to ship. She stated 118 MPH winds reported and 38 feet waves. NO FUN for anyone aboard. I will attempt to update if I receive any further info.,

How long will it take to fix windows? I honestly expected the glass to be stronger.

I will be on the next cruise.

We're on Friday. Windows are easy to fix. Like I said previously, a window was broken in the gym during Sandy by something breaking lose and hitting it. I'm thinking the ones broken in the MDR probably were hit by patio furniture or something like that. The windows are made to withstand high winds and waves. We'll find out more on our cruise.

Just spoke with BFF, she is on the ship now. They arrived in San Juan at 8 this morning, and will still till approx 10 tonight. Because of the storm they encountered, they could not make it to Labadee. Much damage was sustained to ship. She stated 118 MPH winds reported and 38 feet waves. NO FUN for anyone aboard. I will attempt to update if I receive any further info.,

That is a pretty good storm..... On the Hurricane Sandy cruise the Captain told us that he saw the wind peak at 160 knots (180mph) for a short time. The wave height was about the same in Sandy.

Sometime during the cruise there will be a meet the Captain get together. Tell her to watch the Compass for it. That is when you can ask the Captain and other officers questions. That is when we found out the real story about going through the hurricane instead of the rumors flying around the ship.

Archived