explorer dry dock?

I had heard they move the Explorer dry-dock up to Feb 2014. However the cruises for Feb 2014 are still showing on the RC website. My own opinion is that they will be tying in the dry-dock with Quantum sailings. I guess we have to wait until the Nov and Dec 2014 schedules for Explorer are published.

I'm curious about the "broken windows". We were on EX in Nov the cruise after Sandy and the "broken windows" turned out to be ONE window in the gym that broke because something broke loose on the railing and hit the window. This storm that they just went through was much smaller and less intense than Sandy was. I'm betting the broken windows turn out to be one or two broken by something hitting them. I'm not sure why broken windows makes you think drydock needs to be done right away. They can and do fix them while in port.

Edited by BND

We were on the Enchantment the first cruise out of dry dock and a window in the Windjammer was broken. It rained our first sea day and the new carpet got soaked. There is so much work planned for a drydock that a broken window is a minor detail and not something that is necessarily going to be fixed in drydock.

Don't know exactly when the Explorer is going to dry dock (keep hearing Nov/Dec of 2014), but it SURE does nees it soon! It is one of my favorite RCI ships, but it does need a refurbish now.

Edited by Arzeena

I am on Explorer now. It sustained worse damage than Sandy. Three windows on the deck 3 dining room broke and water poured in at 10:45 in the evening on Thurs. the crew did a terrific job of drying the dining room out. 3 wind screens were broken next to the peek a boo bridge. The ship will be dry docked on Dec. 2014. It needs It badly. Rumor has it Quantum will be going to Bayonne. Rcl will have to compete in NY with NCL's new Breakaway. With that being said we still love the crew on this ship and are having a great time.

I am on Explorer now. It sustained worse damage than Sandy. Three windows on the deck 3 dining room broke and water poured in at 10:45 in the evening on Thurs. the crew did a terrific job of drying the dining room out. 3 wind screens were broken next to the peek a boo bridge. The ship will be dry docked on Dec. 2014. It needs It badly. Rumor has it Quantum will be going to Bayonne. Rcl will have to compete in NY with NCL's new Breakaway. With that being said we still love the crew on this ship and are having a great time.

How about a little more info. You got into San Juan this am and missed Labadee? Why? Trying to figure out how the windows broke as the one that broke during Sandy did because something broke free and hit it. Those windows are made to withstand wind and waves.

Guest maddycat

According to RCI's drydock schedule, the Explorer is now scheduled for Feb. 2014.

RCI drydock schedule

Would you please post what teas are available in the Windjammer and the Promanade Cafe?

Latest schedule says EX will be done in Feb 2014.

I'm just not seeing where. We are currently booked on Explorer Feb 9th 2014. On the RCI site, I did a cruise search and the Explorer is constantly cruising all of Dec, Jan, and Feb. So either the drydock schedule linked elsewhere in this thread is wrong, or the cruise schedule is wrong. (or my date math is, been known to happen :D ) Maybe when I have time later I'll do a more in depth search.

I'm just not seeing where. We are currently booked on Explorer Feb 9th 2014. On the RCI site, I did a cruise search and the Explorer is constantly cruising all of Dec, Jan, and Feb. So either the drydock schedule linked elsewhere in this thread is wrong, or the cruise schedule is wrong. (or my date math is, been known to happen :D ) Maybe when I have time later I'll do a more in depth search.

Explorer is cruising all the way through November 1st 2014. While it's true the website says February 2014 it's just my opinion that's a date that won't happen. Other cruise sites have projected late 2014 early 2015.

Maybe we should start an Explorer refit betting pool? Closest to the real date gets a free cruise. My date would be January 6th, 2015.

Explorer is cruising all the way through November 1st 2014. While it's true the website says February 2014 it's just my opinion that's a date that won't happen. Other cruise sites have projected late 2014 early 2015.

Maybe we should start an Explorer refit betting pool? Closest to the real date gets a free cruise. My date would be January 6th, 2015.

My 1st choice would be from mid November 2014 unti 12-22-14. Your date of 1/6/15 would be my 2nd choice, to much $$$ to be made around the XMass Hoiliday for RCCL.

Edited by FIRELT5

I had heard they move the Explorer dry-dock up to Feb 2014. However the cruises for Feb 2014 are still showing on the RC website. My own opinion is that they will be tying in the dry-dock with Quantum sailings. I guess we have to wait until the Nov and Dec 2014 schedules for Explorer are published.

I already have a cruise book on ExOS for April 2014...hope it's back from dry dock by then ;)

My 1st choice would be from mid November 2014 unti 12-22-14. Your date of 1/6/15 would be my 2nd choice, to much $$$ to be made around the XMass Hoiliday for RCCL.

If the EX's drydock takes place in November 2014...will she return to Bayonne? :confused:

I believe the EX is not showing on the port schedule for St.Maarten in 2014/2015 so that makes me wonder if she is going to be sailing from a different port after drydock.

With any luck the Explorer will dry dock Dec. 2014 and be replaced by the Quantum of The Seas.

What happens to the EXOS after 11/6/14 ??? that's the Question.

Hopefully we will have an answer by Mid-April

• 10 months later...

We were on the EOS a few months ago and heard from the staff that she will be moved to the Asian market after Quantum debuts. I was also on her during Sandy and especially love her for safely getting us through those 80 mph winds and waves up to Deck 7. The Quantum looks beautiful but much pricier than the Explorer.....

OK, since this thread was bumped, it's important to note that Explorer dry dock will be Feb. 2015. The link provided above does state this. This old thread may confuse some people if they don't notice the date of the original post. :)

They added itineraries for Explorer during Freburary and March. The way the schedule is now, Explorer's dry dock cannot come before March 12, 2015.

Edited by clarea

They added itineraries for Explorer during Freburary and March. The way the schedule is now, Explorer's dry dock cannot come before March 12, 2015.

What happens if the decide to do it in February anyway? I've heard of cruises getting canceled because they changed the dry dock. I'm really hoping this doesn't happen to me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What happens if the decide to do it in February anyway? I've heard of cruises getting canceled because they changed the dry dock. I'm really hoping this doesn't happen to me.

If they do move up the dry dock, then they would cancel a bunch of cruises, and normally give some consideration to the folks who got cancelled.

However, I would expect it to be very difficult to change a dry dock date on short notice. I've read here that it's difficult to even get a dry dock berth, that they are booked months in advance. Plus all the logistics of getting the workers and equipment to come together.