Tongass National Forest or Ketchikan Rainforest

misskimt

Your title covers 100's of miles and really means nothing in terms of any "tours". Copy and paste the actual tours.

There are numerous hiking trails all over Ketchikan, well marked and available to easily go on your own. Guided "hikes", are limited- unless labled strongly as expert, challenging etc. Otherwise the basic tours are walks- going as fast as the slowest person.

Princess offers two interesting rainforest hikes in Ketchikan. Tongass and Ketchikan. Which is better? Thanks!!

When we went to Ketrchikan we took the public bus to the Totem Bight Park and Potlach Park. [side by side] We hiked on our own through a trail in the rainforest beside the parks. It was not a guided tour--but, to see the thick moss and vegetation growing on everything was interesting. The trees, path, hand rails-- everything felt liked it was flocked with velvet. [pretty cool] But, I woud not have paid to do the hike. What do the two hikes include?

Ketchican -2.75 hours/ activity level moderate.This delightful three-hour tour will give you the rare opportunity to commune with nature in the breathtaking setting of the Ketchikan rainforest.Your rustic adventure starts with a scenic coastal drive to Herring Cove, where a naturalist will guide you along improved trails to experience first-hand the splendor of the forest and a multitude of plants in the lush rainforest. Wandering through tall stands of hemlock, spruce and Alaskan cedar, you will be encouraged to stop at viewing platforms to photograph this natural wonderland.

Your guide will then lead you along the trail to an elevated boardwalk overlooking Eagle Creek

Tongass-4 hoour also moderate. This is a rainforest walk with a twist. Your four-hour adventure starts when you board a motorized inflatable Seahawk, your vessel for the short but exciting cruise along the coast of Clover Passage. This is a country rich with wildlife and along the route you may have the opportunity to observe whales, Steller sea lions, harbor seals, bald eagles and migrating seabirds.Landing at a beautiful secluded beach you will be instructed to follow your guide through the ancient Tongass National Forest, which is the nation's largest national forest at almost 17 million acres (almost 5.7 million acres has been designated as wilderness). Home to a diverse cross-section of animals including bears, eagles, salmon, sand hill cranes, wolves and trumpeter swans, you will learn about the many amazing botanical species native to this region. Your guide will also be able to point out the wonderful Western red cedars and yellow cedars that early Natives depended on for spiritual enrichment, shelter and transportation. The trail you will be taking is mostly boardwalk, well maintained and about one mile in length but you will need a good degree of physical fitness to enjoy the walk.

Maybe we should try on our own. Thanks

Which would be the easiest to get to using a rental car?

It isn't a matter of driving to either of these tours. It likely is private property for the first one, and with a boat required for the second one- you won't be driving there either.

Ward Lake, Preserverance Trail, Deer Mt, are all well traveled hiking areas.

These tour descriptions- are GREATLY enhanced, with the "possible" wildlife. Most of the time, it becomes a folige trip. Wildlife is skimpy at best, and you can see eagles all over Alaska.

It isn't a matter of driving to either of these tours. It likely is private property for the first one, and with a boat required for the second one- you won't be driving there either.

Ward Lake, Preserverance Trail, Deer Mt, are all well traveled hiking areas.

These tour descriptions- are GREATLY enhanced, with the "possible" wildlife. Most of the time, it becomes a folige trip. Wildlife is skimpy at best, and you can see eagles all over Alaska.

That's a shame. We really enjoyed our time hiking in the Hoh Rain Forest in Washington state. It was beautiful and although we didn't see much in the way of animals, the foliage was the real star! (We can see eagles almost everyday out our front windows so that's not a priority for us.)

Do any of the hiking trails you mention offer a rain forest habitat?

Thanks for your input!

That's a shame. We really enjoyed our time hiking in the Hoh Rain Forest in Washington state. It was beautiful and although we didn't see much in the way of animals, the foliage was the real star! (We can see eagles almost everyday out our front windows so that's not a priority for us.)

Do any of the hiking trails you mention offer a rain forest habitat?

Thanks for your input!

A shame? This WHOLE area is rainforrest. :)

A shame? This WHOLE area is rainforrest. :)

OK, I didn't understood your previous post. It is possible to get to the trails you mentioned - Ward Lake, Perseverance Trail, Deer Mt - in a rental car and they are in the rainforest. Is that what you're saying?

Which would you recommend for a 5 (or so) mile hike? It will be mid May (so that may limit our options) and we have 9 hours in port.

OK, I didn't understood your previous post. It is possible to get to the trails you mentioned - Ward Lake, Perseverance Trail, Deer Mt - in a rental car and they are in the rainforest. Is that what you're saying?

Which would you recommend for a 5 (or so) mile hike? It will be mid May (so that may limit our options) and we have 9 hours in port.

Yes- :) I would recommend Preserverence, which is past Ward Lake. Could also easily make a stop at Totem Bight and/or Potlatch Park, for some totem looks - print out the guide, and get some Alaskan Culture. Deer Mt I haven't done very far.

I would inquire at the visitor center- the trail conditions, since you are so early in the season.

Yes- :) I would recommend Preserverence, which is past Ward Lake. Could also easily make a stop at Totem Bight and/or Potlatch Park, for some totem looks - print out the guide, and get some Alaskan Culture. Deer Mt I haven't done very far.

I would inquire at the visitor center- the trail conditions, since you are so early in the season.

Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it!

Ketchican -2.75 hours/ activity level moderate.This delightful three-hour tour will give you the rare opportunity to commune with nature in the breathtaking setting of the Ketchikan rainforest.Your rustic adventure starts with a scenic coastal drive to Herring Cove, where a naturalist will guide you along improved trails to experience first-hand the splendor of the forest and a multitude of plants in the lush rainforest. Wandering through tall stands of hemlock, spruce and Alaskan cedar, you will be encouraged to stop at viewing platforms to photograph this natural wonderland.

Your guide will then lead you along the trail to an elevated boardwalk overlooking Eagle Creek

Tongass-4 hoour also moderate. This is a rainforest walk with a twist. Your four-hour adventure starts when you board a motorized inflatable Seahawk, your vessel for the short but exciting cruise along the coast of Clover Passage. This is a country rich with wildlife and along the route you may have the opportunity to observe whales, Steller sea lions, harbor seals, bald eagles and migrating seabirds.Landing at a beautiful secluded beach you will be instructed to follow your guide through the ancient Tongass National Forest, which is the nation's largest national forest at almost 17 million acres (almost 5.7 million acres has been designated as wilderness). Home to a diverse cross-section of animals including bears, eagles, salmon, sand hill cranes, wolves and trumpeter swans, you will learn about the many amazing botanical species native to this region. Your guide will also be able to point out the wonderful Western red cedars and yellow cedars that early Natives depended on for spiritual enrichment, shelter and transportation. The trail you will be taking is mostly boardwalk, well maintained and about one mile in length but you will need a good degree of physical fitness to enjoy the walk.

Maybe we should try on our own. Thanks

Neither of these are 'on your own' tours. The 1st one is located out at Herring Cove, only reached if you're renting a car or taking a taxi. It's the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary and if I'm correct they 'may' deal with you direct if you show up there, but since it's part of a tour, I don't know. I'd call them. (907) 225-5503. I've done the tour - it's a slow (read - super slow) walk through an established path through the rainforest. It's very informational, the guides are filled with knowledge and point out nearly everything in the forest. It's an interesting walk. I did it once and my only complaint was it was SO slow (and ultimately short).

The other is definitely a tour - they take you out to another island. :-) I haven't done this tour and don't 'think' you can book separately with them. The Company is Alaska Travel Adventures

If you're looking for hikes in Ketchikan, as BudgetQueen has said - Ward Lake, Perseverance Trail, Deer Mountain - are all good ones, as are the Rainbird Trail and even Carlanna Lake.

Here's an explanation of the Deer Mountain (more difficult) and Rainbird Trail (moderate). Both of the trailheads for these hikes are located within 5 miles of the downtown area. Carlanna Lake(easy) trail is another one of my favorites and is just a couple miles further in town.

If you rent a car you can go to the Ward Lake (easy)/Perseverance Trail (more difficult) area which has about 8 great hikes (I go there once a week rain or shine and hike the trails with a friend). As BudgetQueen suggested, stop by the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center where they have trail maps and can give you details of the specific hike you are interested in.

ALSO....if you're going to do one of the hikes be SURE to stop by the Ketchikan Visitor Information Center and pick up a Spot. If you get lost or hurt you can activate it and the Ketchikan Volunteer Rescue Squad will get your exact location. It's free - just drop it off when you return.

Enjoy!

Rene

Neither of these are 'on your own' tours. The 1st one is located out at Herring Cove, only reached if you're renting a car or taking a taxi. It's the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary and if I'm correct they 'may' deal with you direct if you show up there, but since it's part of a tour, I don't know. I'd call them. (907) 225-5503. I've done the tour - it's a slow (read - super slow) walk through an established path through the rainforest. It's very informational, the guides are filled with knowledge and point out nearly everything in the forest. It's an interesting walk. I did it once and my only complaint was it was SO slow (and ultimately short).

The other is definitely a tour - they take you out to another island. :-) I haven't done this tour and don't 'think' you can book separately with them. The Company is Alaska Travel Adventures

If you're looking for hikes in Ketchikan, as BudgetQueen has said - Ward Lake, Perseverance Trail, Deer Mountain - are all good ones, as are the Rainbird Trail and even Carlanna Lake.

Here's an explanation of the Deer Mountain (more difficult) and Rainbird Trail (moderate). Both of the trailheads for these hikes are located within 5 miles of the downtown area. Carlanna Lake(easy) trail is another one of my favorites and is just a couple miles further in town.

If you rent a car you can go to the Ward Lake (easy)/Perseverance Trail (more difficult) area which has about 8 great hikes (I go there once a week rain or shine and hike the trails with a friend). As BudgetQueen suggested, stop by the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center where they have trail maps and can give you details of the specific hike you are interested in.

ALSO....if you're going to do one of the hikes be SURE to stop by the Ketchikan Visitor Information Center and pick up a Spot. If you get lost or hurt you can activate it and the Ketchikan Volunteer Rescue Squad will get your exact location. It's free - just drop it off when you return.

Enjoy!

Rene

Thanks for the additional information. It's very helpful!

• 2 months later...

Enjoy!

Rene

I had the same questions as the OP, so I found this post to be very useful. Thank you!!!

My take is that you are paying Princess a lot of money for them to take you on a walk in the woods or a short boat ride followed by a walk in the woods. You will see lots of trees and few if any animals. You will also walk at a pace dictated by the slowest person in the group who thinks that they are mobile but really are not. You will go crazy if you are used to walking at a reasonable pace.

My suggestion to to check out the internet sites that describe DIY walks and do one. Just make sure that someone knows which walk you are taking just in case.

DON

Archived