Passenger Talent Show?

kee

I have been on several RCI cruises and have never seen a passenger talent show. I have seen kareoke but never a "talent" show. I know many parents would love to show off their little future stars abilities but I have never seen or heard about it. Even in the kareoke they don't let children sing unless it is designated as a "family" kareoke. I really don't think a passenger talent show would be a big hit. It would be boring and would only be attended by the parents of the children or friends.

We were on last Spring's TA on the Jewel, and they had an adult only Talent Show. I don't mean the material was "adult", but that kids were not allowed to participate. There were not a lot of kids on the cruise, so I don't know if the Adventure Ocean staff had something similar.

I can't say I have ever seen a Talent show either previous to this cruise, but I assumed it was due to the Cruise Director staff having a lot of time to fill with 6 sea days :).

There just happened to be a class of college age young adults on the cruise who provided lot's of good entertainment for the show. There was a good mix of instrumentals, dance, singers. My 20 yo daughter was with me, who is currently into hooping, and choreographed a routine to music. As with the Karaoke singoffs, there are also plenty of older adults who do a really, really good job performing. There was no "winner" as there usually is with Karaoke. It was just a performance.

There used to be a passenger talent show on Rhapsody when it was sailing out of Texas. My friend who has a beautiful voice loved to sing in the show. There were many other very talented passengers including musicians and people who could dance. We did this cruise every year and really enjoyed the show. We never saw any children and have wished they still did this show on ships sailing from Texas.

The only time I have seen a passenger talent show was on one of the longer cruises... the one I remember was a TA. They held it in the afternoon... I guess because they did not want too many people to see it:o! It really was not bad..... but not really ready for prime time either. I did a 14 day this past October and do not recall a passenger talent show other than Karaoke.

Years ago saw it on vision of the seas! People had to audition, I think the day before. Didn't just let people up there, was held in main showroom, with the ships band.

Some of the people brought their outfits with them, and their music, which they gave to the band.

One girl did a Reba macintire song..was excellent! Probably is lead singer with a band.

Was not karaoke!

The last cruise I was on (Carnival) had a talent show. I don't remember any kids participating. A couple of the participants obviously were land-side professionals. One said he had a "traveling show" ... whatever that means, but he was pro-level. Another said he finished 4th in America's Got Talent, an older guy doing Sinatra tunes.

Wasn't some kind of grade-school production.

I've seen a couple of passenger talent shows, but I think they were on Princess...can't recall for sure. But, I really like them and was amazed at the talent on board. I'd like RCL to add them!

Guest maddycat

There was an adult passenger talent show on the Explorer in Nov. The best talent show that we ever attended was on a Celebrity ship. It was a crew talent show and the crew was very talented. Some could be professional performers.

In the 80's and 90's Carnival always had a passenger talent show. It was held in the main theater with the orchestra and the passengers had to audition. It was always very well attended and usually excellent. I can still remember a couple of guys singing Dock of the Bay accapello that brought the house down. What is truly amazing is that I can still remember them, but not what I did yesterday. HaHa! I say bring back the show!!!

On the Explorer in November, the better performers from the week long Karaoke were invited to do a talent (singing) show on the last afternoon at sea in the theatre. It was very entertaining. Two brothers from Ireland (in wheel chairs) were excellent. There was also ''C'' from New Jersey and of course ''Elliott'' also from New Jersey and formerly from The Bronx. He was our tablemate and although he was not a professional he was way up there in talent. I love Karaoke and amateur performers(with their clothes on):D

I have been on several RCI cruises and have never seen a passenger talent show. I have seen kareoke but never a "talent" show. I know many parents would love to show off their little future stars abilities but I have never seen or heard about it. Even in the kareoke they don't let children sing unless it is designated as a "family" kareoke. I really don't think a passenger talent show would be a big hit. It would be boring and would only be attended by the parents of the children or friends.

Beg to differ. Seen a talent show on a previous Royal cruise a few years ago. Thought it would be pretty bad. Especially when a father and daughter, he on the piano, were introduced to perform a piece from Phantom of the Opera. The girl was a older teenager and had a magnificent voice. Another act was a group of 4 guys that were also really good. They screened them well.

Sorry to disagree, but I expect professional talent on a cruise.

Carnival, unfortunately, has taken this to the extreme with a couple of evening shows where passengers took over.

Sorry, but I don't want RCCL to follow the same path and cheapen the whole entertainment program!

I started cruising in 1991 and all the ships had talent shows back then and they were awesome! This was before they started doing karaoke which is usually the same 3 or 4 people singing over and over - BORING!! A few of the most memorable acts I have seen were a blind man with his dog, who I had seen around the ship, playing the piano and singing what I believe is a Garth Brooks song, High friends in Low places? OMG - He brought the house down. I also remember an 80 year old woman in red sparkly hot pants tap dancing and singing On the good ship lollipop. By far, my favorite was on an Easter cruise and the Catholic priest on the ship did a performance of Right said Fred's I'm too sexy !:D I WISH they would do this instead of karaoke, karaoke, karaoke....:(

Carnival, unfortunately, has taken this to the extreme with a couple of evening shows where passengers took over.

Sorry, but I don't want RCCL to follow the same path and cheapen the whole entertainment program!

Not everything is for everyone on any ship. You don't have to go to any show you don't want to.

If it's not your cup of tea, don't go.

I agree with you completely on this one. Carnival has made a passenger talent show the main entertainment one night (the last night) instead of having a regular show. I'd rather RCCL not do this as well.

Not everything is for everyone on any ship. You don't have to go to any show you don't want to.

If it's not your cup of tea, don't go.

It's not just a matter of not having to go. It's a matter of having them remove normal, professional entertainment and replacing it with an amature talent show. I have seen RCCL do a karaoke talent show, but it was done in the afternoon in the main showroom. Not promoted as the prime entertainment of the evening.

Archived