Majesty or Enchantment of the Seas?

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are hoping to take a cruise for our one year anniversary in August. He has never been on a cruise and does not want to take a lot of time off of work so we were looking at a 3-night cruise that leaves on a Friday and returns Monday. We live in West Palm Beach. There is one on the Majesty out of Miami and one out of Port Canaveral on the Enchantment. The Enchantment is about $100 more total for us and I guesstimate an hour further drive. But it appears the Enchantment has recently been refurbished and has some of the amenities the Majesty does not.

So...which would you choose and why? Or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: I am used to sailing on the bigger ships such as the Oasis or the S-class on Celebrity. I also really want my bf's first cruise experience to be a good one so he wants to go on many more ;-)

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are hoping to take a cruise for our one year anniversary in August. He has never been on a cruise and does not want to take a lot of time off of work so we were looking at a 3-night cruise that leaves on a Friday and returns Monday. We live in West Palm Beach. There is one on the Majesty out of Miami and one out of Port Canaveral on the Enchantment. The Enchantment is about $100 more total for us and I guesstimate an hour further drive. But it appears the Enchantment has recently been refurbished and has some of the amenities the Majesty does not.

So...which would you choose and why? Or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: I am used to sailing on the bigger ships such as the Oasis or the S-class on Celebrity. I also really want my bf's first cruise experience to be a good one so he wants to go on many more ;-)

Fot this reason I suggest Enchantment. Newer ship, larger staterooms, and Solarium are improvements over Majesty.

Just look at it this way...

The Sovereign-class ships (Majesty is one of them) are being removed from the fleet for a reason. They are older, cramped, and have a lot fewer amenities. They are not being refurbished and are being moved to the Pullmantur line one at a time, which is a smaller Spanish brand name under the same larger company umbrella. Her sister ship Sovereign is already there and the other sister Monarch is going there in a month or so. She won't be long in following.

The Vision-class ships (Enchantment is one of them) are being upgraded with the "Oasis-class on every ship" program and are all being refurbished with the latest technology. Enchantment is fresh out of that rehab.

Weigh that in the balance.

ETA: To be 100% correct, the Sovereign-class ships are being re-branded and I'm sure that includes some sort of refurbishment when they head over to Pullmantur. I meant they are not being refurbished under the Royal Caribbean name.

We were looking at trying to fit a short cruise into our schedule and our choice was between Enchantment or Majesty on mothers day weekend. We cruised on Enchantment 5 years ago right after they stretched it and we really enjoyed it then so we decided to go again especially since it just came out of dry dock. Majesty is good but from what Enchantment was 5 years ago it is better. Looking forward to seeing the upgrades.:)

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!

We sailed and had awesome time on both EOS and MOS. That being understood, I would choose Enchantment over Majesty any day because it is a nicer ship in terms of how it is laid out and in terms of its public areas.

Public areas are much-much nicer on Enchantment than on Majesty.

Enjoy your up-coming cruise and may you celebrate many more anniversaries!

As much as I love the Majesty, I would definitely pick Enchantment for this one. Adults only Solarium, nicer dining room, Chops Grill, just to name a few amenities EOS has over MOS. Pus, balcony rooms!

I agree for all of the same reasons. :)

Thanks everyone! I'm convinced to go with Enchantment...now to convince my cheap boyfriend!

Definitely Enchantment. As you know, vacation memories will last a lifetime. If you think about all the dumb stuff one spends money on everyday,

like gasoline here in wonderful Connecticut, cable and cell phone bills, morning coffee, etc., $100 more for a nicer ship to get away from it all is money well spent. ;)

• 1 month later...
Thanks everyone! I'm convinced to go with Enchantment...now to convince my cheap boyfriend!

Too bad you already decided. I wanted to add my two cents!!!

Cabin size on Majesty of the Seas:

Inside: 119 sq ft

Ocean View: 122 sq ft

Superior Ocean View: 157 sq ft

Cabin Size on Enchantment of the Seas:

Inside: 140 sq ft

Large Inside: 146 sq ft

Ocean View: 154 sq ft

That alone SHOULD be the deciding factor but on a four day cruise, which is approximately ninety hours long, I average about only 28 hours in the cabin...(four nights with about six hours of sleep and one hour changing and showering daily). If that is not enough...Ship differences include...

(1) The Enchantment of the Seas is 109 feet longer than the Majesty of the Seas. The Majesty is 880 Feet long vrs the Enchantment 989 Feet. However, the Enchantment "feels" a lot longer because the Majesty has three sets of elevators (Bow from Deck 1-11, Centrum (middle of the ship) from decks 3-7, and stern from decks 5-14) so you were never really far from an elevator. The Enchantment only has two sets of elevators (Bow going from deck 1-10 and the Stern going from 1-11) which makes for really LONG hallway walks.

(2) The Majesty has 14 "passenger" decks whereas the Enchantment only has 11 "passenger" decks. In essence, they took a giant hand and squished the Majesty (Sovereign Class) ship and squashed it down from the top and let it expand front and back to make the (Enchantment) Vision Class. While the Majesty is 74,077 gross tons, the Enchantment is 81,000 gross tons. Most of that difference went to improving/enlarging crew areas however. <== not a fact, just an opinion. Both ships however never feel crowded except at meal/show times.

(3) The specialty restaurant on the Enchantment is a "Chops grille" for $30 extra and has a complimentary "cafe" off of the Solarium whereas on the Majesty the specialty restaurant is a Johnny Rockets which makes killer shakes for a small surcharge and also has a complimentary "deli".

(4) On the Majesty, the gym/spa, er um excuse me, the "Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center" is a single level whereas on the Enchantment it is two floors. I have not been on the Enchantment in a while so I do not remember the gym on the Enchantment. Sorry. On the Majesty, the gym was never crowded, except the first day, and got more and more open as the cruise progressed as fewer and fewer people came back.

(5) Last, but not least, on the Majesty, I hardly ever saw the kids, Adventure ocean is in the back of the ship above the spa/gym and the food (windjammer/pizza) was in the front. I remember on the Enchantment, Adventure Ocean is directly above the windjammer and I saw the kids a lot more as they usually ran between both. As you can probably tell from my wording I eat A LOT and do not have any kids and why I went on the Majesty six times to only twice on the Enchantment. Hope this helps.

Again, this is just my opinion and does not reflect any actual facts or figures. Any misinformation is due to my faulty memory and is my fault alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone! My boyfriend and I opted to skip a cruise and booked a Disney vacation. But...then I checked the prices and my boyfriend started having disney doubts, so...we are leaning back towards a cruise. And I think we'll definitely go with the enchantment!

Thanks again everyone! My boyfriend and I opted to skip a cruise and booked a Disney vacation. But...then I checked the prices and my boyfriend started having disney doubts, so...we are leaning back towards a cruise. And I think we'll definitely go with the enchantment!

FWIW, we've sailed twice on the Majesty and we're headed back for a third this fall. We really enjoy the 4 day cruise with the extra stop in Key West, which has become one of our favourite stops.

Like the OP, I live in the West Palm Beach area. We've sailed out of both MIami and Port Canaveral. Although the drive to PC is an hour longer, it is a lot easier and more relaxing than the hectic drive down to Port Miami. Plus you can park at one of the nearby off site parking places at PC cheaper and be driven the short ride over to the port.

We've sailed both Majesty and Enchantment several times each. The only way I'd sail Majesty over Enchanment is if I were doing the four-night cruise on Majesty that goes to Key West. But because you are talking about a three-night cruise, I'd definitely choose Enchantment.

A heads up here. You said you have sailed on Oasis and on Celebrity S-Class ships. Neither Enchantment nor Majesty are in a league with those modern, fabulous, incredible ships. I'm hoping you won't be disappointed. Enchantment claims to have Oasis-style upgrades, but it is still Enchantment not truly Oasis or Allure.

But it is very kind of you to make concessions in order to interest your boyfriend in cruising. In fact, Enchantment may be an ideal first step into cruising. Then he'll have so much to look forward to in the future by sailing on Oasis, Allure, maybe Quantum or Anthem later and all of the elegant Celebrity S-Class ships.

Have a wonderful time and I hope your boyfriend comes to love cruising as much as you do.

Archived