CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

Sad to hear as lots of peoples special vacation are up ended..

Lightening rarely strikes the same place twice unless management as a whole has put up lightening rods in the same place for stupid reasons.

I predict there will soon be a management adjustment that re-aligns the priority and focus of people at the company

Not trying to be a Carnival cheerleader (because I'm not), but on this cruise they had already made all of their ports......the next 2 days were sea days. Although they are going to be late coming back in, the inconvenience is not as great as if this happened early in the cruise......

People will be outraged and unsatisfied no matter what they do or don't do. This is definately going to give Carnival a HUGE blackeye.

I don't think they will be late. There is no reason why CCL can't get those people home in time.

I am sorry to those that are having their cruise shortened and upcoming cruise canceled. It really sucks to have unexpected events happen anytime, during long planned vacations it's even worse. I hope that most can salvage the balance of their vacation time and still get a well needed opportunity to relax and get away from most of lifes problems.

I am a bit adventurous and tend to flow with the ups and downs of life. I sailed on the Dream in Jan '12 with my DD and had a great time, rebooked her for 12/7/13 anniversary cruise with DH and am still looking forward to being on the ship again. We are not worried and know that if something did happen that Carnival would do their best to keep us as safe as possible.

My friends know that I love cruising and asked me at the time of the Triumph's problems said things like "Aren't you glad you're not on THAT ship?!!" I honestly told them that I wished I was on that ship instead of one of the passengers that was having a hard time as it wouldn't have bothered me and I would have loved the free cruise and extra days of adventure". I'll be saying the same thing if I get asked again now about the Dream.

I do not have CCL stock..... or any stock for that matter but I can tell you, that I am considering a small investment in this company, I have a feeling that the naysayers and recent events may result in price drop and am thinking this might be a very good time to get some. I have confidence that Carnival will be making it a good investment for the future as well as for those already holding.

Per your red Lobster comparison...If I heard on the news someone got salmonella at a Red Lobster, then heard a month later someone got salmonella at another Red Lobster, yeah, I would stop eating at Red Lobsters.

This. I hate to say it, because I LOVED my Conquest cruise last year-- but after all these issues, I'm done with Carnival. Flame me if you want, but I just don't want to take the risk when I pay for a vacation. RCCL, here I come.

This is freaking a bunch of BS! Carnival really needs to complete proper maintenance on their ships. I have a one week scheduled on Glory in May which I paid a good amount of money for and with all these issues it makes me not even want to go! I have a wary husband of sailing and I had to calm his nerves when the Triumph accident and explain that was a fluke however, now the Dream to. Carnival should offer all passengers who have cruises booked regardless of ship a refund. These are not isolated incidents anymore...

Fortunately they can do it in waves and a crew should be legal for 2.5 round trips a day. There's no reason that 3-4 planes couldn't get them all back to MCO before mid-morning on Sunday. I suspect that they'll keep the crew on board for now until they determine just how long it will take to fix the problem. Hopefully they will also compensate them for the lost tips for missed sailings.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the crew will be holding their breath waiting to be compensated for loss of tips (for this and the next canceled sailing) -- after all, CCL is taking a huge financial hit for the incident . . .

The point is that they should have issued a statement late last night that read something like this:

Miami, FL, March 13, 2013--The Carnival Dream has experienced generator problems after a scheduled maintenance test while docked in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten this afternoon. There were temporary problems with elevators and some public restroom facilities, however the majority of passenger services and amenities have continued without interruption. The ship has power and scheduled meal service was provided. All regular evening activities went on as scheduled.

There are currently XXXX passengers and XXXX crew on board. There have been no injuries as a result of this situation.

Engineers are working on the problem, and further information will be released as it becomes available.

But then no one could blame CNN for this latest breakdown and early communication, even challenged so very early in this thread.

I have come to realize (at least) this particular forum is not "Cruise Critic" where a wide variety of views are welcome, in actuality its "The Carnival Propaganda Site".

Its where Carnival is perfect in every way, Carnival never, ever has any problems, no delays, no fires, no human sewage running down the walls. Its where the media and passengers are mean and lying if they ever tell about any problem that happens, and the customers are greed no-goods if they expect refunds.

Yes, The Magnificent Carnival Cruise Line is perfect in every...single...way, and WOE to anyone here who openly disputes that in any respect. You will get promptly folded, spindled, and mutilated by the planted cheerleaders here.

Who needs a live Calypso band anyway? "How Great Thou Art" should wail homage to the Magnificent Carnival Cruise Line on cruises, 24/7.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/14/power-outages-overflowing-toilets-reportedly-plague-another-carnival-cruise/

Blomberg Business Week had a critical article on Carnival this week titled "Will Carnival Party On?" Basically it was saying that the bad news Carnival keeps sustaining is tarnishing the brand and it may not be able to change that image with refunds, price discounts and future cruise credits. Too much bad news sticks with the customer and the fact that the Carnival CEO cared more about playing golf when the Triumph was in trouble did not send a positive image either to the consumer. :o

It's much worse for the customers who have made travel arrangements, arranged for time off, and paid significant amounts of money only to be let down by a corporation who's top executive admitted a few days ago that the company needs a ramped-up maintenance program. So, I feel absolutely no sympathy for Carnival. I feel sorry for myself and the thousands of other Carnival customers who trusted this company.

I have no sympathy for Carnival. Just saying its a pr nightmare. I'd never cruise Carnival, even before this happened. I just prefer RCL. But now I definitely prefer it more than ever.

Stuff happens, things break with even the best maintenance or even brand new items....seems to me that Carnival was looking out for passenger safety by not sailing with a broken emergency generator. Quite frankly technical problems could and do happen on every line. Just as they happen to all airlines, all car manufacturers, etc....just about anything you purchases. Nothing and no one can guarantee 100% reliability. IMHO it is how the company reacts to the problem once it occurs that tells me if I want to do business with them again. I will still be sailing on CCL. Your choice to not do so.

At this point, I don't think we know who told them they couldn't sail. Nor how long what's keeping them from sailing was broken.

Good bye then...

You can say that but at some point the bad publicity is going to have an impact. Most people don't have loyalty to a brand. If someone looking to cruise sees all the issues that carnival corporation and carnival cruise lines are having it might make them decided not to sail on Ccl. Honestly if I was looking to cruise in the near future I probably would not go with carnival. Yes things break down but two incidents in a month or two would make me question their maintenance.

Did Olive Garden break down in the Caribbean?

No, the Olive Garden in St. Maarten was serving up Salmonella laced food. Carnival won't allow anyone back on the ship that ate there. The passengers without their passports are now stuck eating Olive Garden food through the weekend until they get special clearance from Customs.

How is this board different from the Royal board or NCL board?

It is the same thing on those....(been reading the NCL board for months now, getting ready for next year's Dawn cruise)

I like going over to the Royal board, when they change something, just to see them freak out, like the Carnival folks in here do...(was especially awesome, when the announcement about Carnival using Coco Cay was announced)

It is wonderful entertainment on a rainy day.

Bill

I don't read the other boards, so, I qualified the statement by saying "(at least)".

OTOH, Carnival sure makes the headline news MUCH more than Royal or NCL, doesn't it? LOL!

I am sorry to those that are having their cruise shortened and upcoming cruise canceled. It really sucks to have unexpected events happen anytime, during long planned vacations it's even worse. I hope that most can salvage the balance of their vacation time and still get a well needed opportunity to relax and get away from most of lifes problems.

I am a bit adventurous and tend to flow with the ups and downs of life. I sailed on the Dream in Jan '12 with my DD and had a great time, rebooked her for 12/7/13 anniversary cruise with DH and am still looking forward to being on the ship again. We are not worried and know that if something did happen that Carnival would do their best to keep us as safe as possible.

My friends know that I love cruising and asked me at the time of the Triumph's problems said things like "Aren't you glad you're not on THAT ship?!!" I honestly told them that I wished I was on that ship instead of one of the passengers that was having a hard time as it wouldn't have bothered me and I would have loved the free cruise and extra days of adventure". I'll be saying the same thing if I get asked again now about the Dream.

I do not have CCL stock..... or any stock for that matter but I can tell you, that I am considering a small investment in this company, I have a feeling that the naysayers and recent events may result in price drop and am thinking this might be a very good time to get some. I have confidence that Carnival will be making it a good investment for the future as well as for those already holding.

There will definitely be a price drop because so many investors are going to be dumping the stock. Remember....the Concordia lawsuits are not even settled yet.....:)

I am very surprised that CCl has just announced only a partial refund for guests currently on the Carnival Dream in St Maarten.

The guests are going to have an difficult time getting back to Port Canaveral and I think we are looking at a growing outrage.

Since Carnival is probably going to charter flights back to MCO, passengers who do not have a vehicle at Port Canaveral will already be at the airport for their return home. Others I am sure will be bussed back to Port Canaveral to pick up cars. I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival isn't looking at flight schedules of the affected guests to try and get them back at the right time to match up with scheduled flights home.

They cannot expect to be compensated like those passengers on the Carnival Triumph. These passengers were stranded for a day and then from what I understand flown back to the US. It's a whole different scenario then what happened back in February, and I think the partial refund is adequate.

Archived