CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

I can't imagine Carnival not giving you a refund. Well actually i can, just hoping for the best. I'd call and not take no for an answer. Be firm but not rude.

Carnival has said a "technical problem" with the back up generator. Technical problem is an intentionally vague term. Their lack of transparency makes it hard to say whether the ship will be okay to cruise or even in service.

A back up generator when you're in the middle of the ocean really isn't a back-up. It's essential.

I agree. I don't like the term "technical problem", it sounds like they're hiding something. They should just call a spade a spade and say there's an engine problem, generator problem, propulsion problem or whatever it is. It's already pretty obvious that the ship is not going anywhere so not sure what they think they are gaining by equivocating.

I was on carnival dream Nov2010 for Thanksgiving. Room was on 6th floor.. The strong sewer smell at times wafted around and the crew tried to cover it up in the hallways with heavy scented sprays.. kinda gross...wont board her again...

Have you ever flown out of St Maarten? That mountain right in front of you... the suffering? OK, it was not really all that bad.:rolleyes:

No, but I have seen the planes fly in by the beach. It would be kind of scary to fly into there. Not sure about out- maybe?

OK, I chalked the Triumph to it can happen but now issue on the Dream, a bit unsettling for me.

We are leaving on the Conquest in 1 1/2 weeks. Now am slightly nervous. Can they just put mechanics on the ships - I suppose my idea is far fetched but heck at this point.....

I agree. I don't like the term "technical problem", it sounds like they're hiding something. They should just call a spade a spade and say there's an engine problem, generator problem, propulsion problem or whatever it is. It's already pretty obvious that the ship is not going anywhere so not sure what they think they are gaining by equivocating.

They could be calling it a "technical problem" because "technically", they haven't figured out what the problem is.:eek:;):p

Also, I know they are flying people home but what happens to people that do not have passports? For example, some people do not have passports because they are legal residents of the U.S. and have not obtained U.S. Citizenship. Some passport issues are much more complicating then someone not having a passport because they were too lazy to go and get one.

Um, you can't become a non-citizen resident of the US without entering the US on a passport issued by your country of citizenship--and it's required to keep that passport current as long as they remain in the US. Anyone who is not a US citizen would be required to show their passport before boarding the ship.

You know, we're first time cruisers. We paid everything off literally a week after Triumph. SHIP happens! ;) I was stranded in an airport by myself for 3 days when I was 8 months pregnant, yet I will still fly. It was frustrating at the time, but I look back and laugh at it now. First world problems! If our ship was to break down on our cruise, yeah I'd be annoyed. BUT I would look at it as an adventure my husband and I would be on. There's no point in getting all riled up over something you cannot control. My entire family (about 30 of us) spent a lot of money renting cabins and camping spots on a canoe trip weekend one Memorial Day. Guess what? It rained the entire weekend, the river was flooded, and we couldn't go canoeing. Instead of pouting about it, we held mud volleyball tournaments in the rain. Some of the best memories are from that vacation! If people will no longer cruise because of these two incidents, that's their prerogative. I am so excited for our first cruise! We will hope for the best, and prepare for the worst!

“Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain." [ or play volleyball ;) ]

So, reading through the posts...it seems that Carnival did not make the decision to halt sailing because of the back up generator problem, but that it would have been illegal to do so per Caribbean/US law??

Could someone clarify....I hint a touch of spin by CCL if that is the case....

Here's what CCL said:

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue with the ship's backup emergency diesel generator which our engineering team is currently working on. Yesterday, during regularly scheduled testing of the ship's emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred

Not sure exactly what that means, mechanically, but the ship is not cleared and/or able to sail at present.

Buy low - sell high, the lows are coming and Carnival will rebound.

Now back to the ball game.

Not necessarily...stocks are based on corporate profits and with all the money Carnival has going out it may not be a profitable company....time will tell...:rolleyes:

Charter flights are not exempt from customs rules, and they're no longer on a close loop cruise. They'd be required to have passports, and CCL is going to have to work that out before they can fly those people home.

Yup, and that's their responsibility. People post like those without passports will never be able to return home.

Sheesh! I like Carnival. I sail Carnival (and the other major lines) but this is seriously getting ridiculous! :eek:

What is going on? Are the ship builders cutting corners to meet deadlines, are the cruise lines cutting corners to meet bottom lines? :confused:

Something is not kosher, and as a stockholder (for years now) I want some answers. :confused:

OK, I chalked the Triumph to it can happen but now issue on the Dream, a bit unsettling for me.

We are leaving on the Conquest in 1 1/2 weeks. Now am slightly nervous. Can they just put mechanics on the ships - I suppose my idea is far fetched but heck at this point.....

I believe there are always mechanics on the ships...aren't there?? :confused:

Charter flights are not exempt from customs rules, and they're no longer on a close loop cruise. They'd be required to have passports, and CCL is going to have to work that out before they can fly those people home.

Yes, and it will be worked out and these people will get home just fine.

Is their poilcy differnet than other cruislines?

It is up to the cruiselines, if they want to require passports for boarding.

There are a couple of cruiselines that do.

But the big lines don't because they know that it will cut out the folks who just refuse to buy a passport.

But it is up to their discretion to begin requiring passports.

Bill

I've seem some amatuer cheerleaders but in the first five or six pages I haven't seen any really good shills yet. Somebody in the social media department is asleep while on duty.

Me, I'm trying to decide between Holland America and Celebrity for next year's cruise. If you MUST sail the big C, try the Ecstasy, we had a great time and she's already been on fire once, so the odds are with you. :eek:

Hate to be Peter Putter, but I had a friend that said just that in the World Trade Center bombing in '93. The one in '01 took him from us, returning just the month before.

huh?.. Orlando is Port Canaveral lol. Orlando is land locked but is the closest big city/ airport so it is referred to as being Port Canaveral/Orlando.

Orlando is the closest major airport to the port of embarkation, Port Canaveral. Approx 1 hr driving distance away IIRC.

I guess you would rather Carnival tries to sail with all of those passengers and have a repeat of the Triumph sailing... Kudos to Carnival for getting everyone back to MCO to either catch flights or shuttles to port. I am also wondering how ICE will handle the passengers who are traveling with no passport..... should be interesting...

I am very surprised that CCl has just announced only a partial refund for guests currently on the Carnival Dream in St Maarten.

The guests are going to have an difficult time getting back to Port Canaveral and I think we are looking at a growing outrage.

Should it not be the place of passengers on this sailing to decide if the partial refund is inadequate? Just wondering.

Yeah, and 2 days from now you'll see someone else posting here, "Do I really need a passport?"

I sail RCCL, so i don't need a passport:D JKJKJKJK:D I know it could happen to any cruise line.... Hmmmmm:rolleyes:

Darn I was so close to booking the Magic for this past January (price) and ended up booking the Independence of the Seas because I found it a little cheaper. After these 2 incidents my wife and MIL say they will never sail Carnival. I guess no inexpensive cruises for me.....:(

Archived