Aft Balcony addiction

warmwinds

Oh the wake, as I saved one so I can sail a bit on a crappy day, as I can feel the air & hear the sound of the water & just feel at ease. So thank you for sharing peace & quiet ;-)

Nov 20 we are 9201 on Summit ready to not nick the Canal as we go through. Then May 20 we are set the the reunion cruise in Alaska again on Summit & can't wait to see our humpbacks from Maui, so we chose 7206 so we have better water view of them feasting away in tribes, who make bubble nets to trap the fish so they can inhale them. Unreal that at 100,000# male weights 60,000# or less returning to Alaska. They leave in April to swim 3000 miles back to Alaska every year, then in November to head back to Maui. Then mom at 60,000# who weights after delivery & nursing 150 gallons of milk shot down the throat of their baby, who swims back to Maui & is left to fend for itself..........

Last year we were kayaking from Embassy out past the green turtle farm we have there, and resting in the beautiful water when we were hit by a 2,000# 2 week old baby who gave us quite a surprise but didn't dump us. He even came up to see if we were OK. Mom in the distance swam under us to him, with that beautiful coral blue movement under water, which we know is a whale.

Now Sept-Dec we are ready to grab a AFT CC for another TA depending on ports for it.

Hi Joan, thank you for the offer but I cannot cruise at the beginning or end

of any month. This one falls right in the middle of both of those things.

Also, it is much more $$$ than is in my budget.

Lois,

I know what you mean. We would not be on that cruise if we had to pay the price Celebrity is asking today. When we booked, a CC cabin was $2,000 p/p. Today, it is shown as $3,800 for a guarantee. Either we got the deal of the year, or Celebrity has gone nuts.:eek:

:eek:

I've heard of the aft-balcony addiction...and now that I've seen photos, I have to say that my breath was sucked out of me and I am shaking!! ;)

My first cruise was indeed and iside...my second cruise was an ocean-view...my third was a balcony.

NOW I want an AFT!

OK....I'm thinking of the Mercury for a Panama Canal sailing in 2007. Do the older Celebrity ships have aft balconies as well or is it just the M class????

If not, can anyone give a suggestion of the best cabin to book on the Mercury??? I'm booking so far in advance I should be able to have my choice.

The only aft cabins on Mercury are oceanview (no balcony).

Best Mercury cabins? sky suites on Deck 12 (not deck 10), because SS balconies on deck 12 are around 4X bigger than SS deck 10 balconies . . . of course, Mercury's RS and PH suites are pretty good, too.;)

The Century (a C-class ship), once it goes through drydock next Spring, will have aft balcony cabins on its sky deck (deck 12) . . . something to look forward to!

:eek:

OK....I'm thinking of the Mercury for a Panama Canal sailing in 2007. Do the older Celebrity ships have aft balconies as well or is it just the M class????

If not, can anyone give a suggestion of the best cabin to book on the Mercury??? I'm booking so far in advance I should be able to have my choice.

Century already have aft balcony cabins on the Penthouse Deck but they are currently classified as suites even though they are standard sized.

Best value bet for a large non-suite balcony on the Mercury are the 4 cabins that bookend the Sky Suites--1200, 1201, 1240, 1241. Their balconies are extremely deep--something like 13 ft deep.

On M class, are some CC aft better than others?

Does deck or anything else make a difference?

As far as aft CC balconies go, there are two significant distinguishing factors in my mind:

1. The cabins on Deck 9 are less attractive because of they are right underneath a public deck so it is a little less private and prone to noise (furniture being moved in the morning, etc). Not a big problem to warrant rejecting the cabins but if there are other cabins available on Deck 7 & 8, they are more preferable.

2. 7212, 8176, and 9164 are wheel chair accessible cabins and their balconies are wider than the normal CC balconies.

• 1 year later...

I am part of this club as well. I tried to book one of them on two of the transatlantics that were opened today - and the cabins are all gone on both crossings. They were booked at 8:32 this morning by a TA. All the rooms had names on them already. Very disappointing.

We'll be in an aft cc on 4/22 to Hawaii (deck 7) on Infinity and we are hoping to love the experience as much as we did when we were in a corner aft verandah suite on HAL's Zuiderdam a few years ago. I understand the cabin will not be as large but I hold out high hopes for our second cruise on "X" in a very long time!

I'm wondering though (and had hoped we'd hear something from those currently making the trip and haven't) about the weather to expect during the crossing both ways - not so much the seas but the air temp and whether we'll even be able to comfortably use that splendid aft cc balcony.

Anyone with their thoughts?

Aloha!

We'll be in an aft cc on 4/22 to Hawaii (deck 7) on Infinity and we are hoping to love the experience as much as we did when we were in a corner aft verandah suite on HAL's Zuiderdam a few years ago. I understand the cabin will not be as large but I hold out high hopes for our second cruise on "X" in a very long time!

I'm wondering though (and had hoped we'd hear something from those currently making the trip and haven't) about the weather to expect during the crossing both ways - not so much the seas but the air temp and whether we'll even be able to comfortably use that splendid aft cc balcony.

Anyone with their thoughts?

Aloha!

In 2006, we did this cruise twice...in Jan. and in Oct. When we left L.A. in Jan. it was raining and a bit cool. We found that by the next morning, it was comfortable to use our balcony for breakfast. In Oct. the weather was just great. Keep in mind, that the aft's don't have the wind issue, that side balconies experience. You will love it...

Enjoy your cruise~

Karyn

Archived