We Will Never Cruise With RCI Again

I'm half considering trying to pack a small bottle of booze just so I can see / get to experience the infamous "naughty room"

hehehe....I was delighted when on our recent cruise, friends of ours were called to the "naughty room". We went with them just to see what it was like. :D:D

Like the OP, they had left their wine in their luggage and had to open it to show that it was just wine. And yes, I told them to pack it in their carry-on.

We looked at it as an adventure, joked around with the staff, our friends opened the suitcase, showed them their three (yes, three!) bottles of wine and were allowed to take all back to their stateroom.

Wasn't there so I don't know but was the OP nasty to staff? IMHO, you get what you give.

This guy(or girl) has been totally busted by the experienced sleuths on Cruise Critic. I'm always amazed when someone is clearly trying to get around the rules, then blames the cruise line when they're questioned. Would they complain about a cop who was "rude" when pulling them over for speeding? Never mind...they probably would:rolleyes:

I didn't realize the aim of Cruise Critic was to 'totally bust' people. I thought it was to help people to get the best out of their cruising experience. How stupid of me! Yes I would complain if a cop was 'rude' - I would expect them to be professional and courteous no matter what the circumstances.

I didn't realize the aim of Cruise Critic was to 'totally bust' people. I thought it was to help people to get the best out of their cruising experience. How stupid of me! Yes I would complain if a cop was 'rude' - I would expect them to be professional and courteous no matter what the circumstances.

Relax...we're all just having fun with this one.

Good detective work by our fellow CCers, but I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and make an assumption since they haven't returned. It sounds like they wanted to smuggle liquor but upon learning the bags would be scanned, packed 2 bottles of wine. Then, they weren't happy with the attitiude of crew upon having the bags checked.

I view the checking of possible contraband as a law enforcement task, albeit ship security. If they aren't all puppies and smiles, I would hardly let that bother me.

Maybe RCI should offer luggage delivery service for naughty room bags but again, at 7pm, I'm not sure I would want to wait the extra time for the bag to be delivered. i would have wanted that bag in my hand at that moment so I could unpack and get on with my cruise. I still think this is a rather trivial issue to swear off an entire cruise line, but I also can't help but think there were more issues than just this, causing the OP to feel the way they do.

As I posted above RCI's FAQ's say quite the opposite, To me TAS Guidelines means no liquids:eek: in carry-ons!

TSA Guidelines apply to the air travel portion of your trip, if you're flying. That's meant as a reminder to people that, regardless of what you are allowed to bring onboard the ship, when boarding a flight, you are subject to TSA Guidelines. I can see how someone could misinterpret the statement, though, and think it applies to boarding the ship. :cool:

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

I think people are misunderstanding this line - What they're trying to say is that just because you're going on a cruise and THEY want you to have the wine in your carryon doesn't mean you have an exemption from the TSA for your flight to the departure point.

It does not mean you need to follow TSA guidelines at the port.

Upon review - what Paul65 said 2 mins ago ;)

the beauty of Cruise Critic is the freedom for anyone to post one's own personal experience or opinion and have strangers either support or attack them.

imho, the OP was venting, which was their privilege.

We, on the other hand, can't resist to hit Reply and post our imho.

Some of y'all are a hoot..... a bunch of comedians, which is why I follow CC (plus I learn so much). ;)

At first I though... no way! I now think I really underestimated the legs this thread would have:eek:!!!

Happy to do my part...LOL. The naughty room has to be one of the most popular topics, along with shorts in the MDR, formal night...some topics never run out of steam;)

I guess I will chime in here and help make the 7 pages happen. At least 3 pages have posted since I started reading this thread. I have not taken my first cruise yet, but in preparation for it have learned many tips and tricks here on CC to make my cruise more enjoyable and with far fewer problems. One of the very first things I learned was not to try and bring my wine onboard except in my carryon. I even went so far as to discard my rum runners which I had purchased to sneak in some more wine in my checked baggage. If I do get sent to the naughty room it will be for an honest mistake and I will not make a big deal of it and ruin my or my DW's whole cruise. If I unexpectedly encounter a rude, crude or obnoxious ship's staff member I will have no problem addressing that issue then and there whilst maintaining my usual charming demeanor.

On a recent cruise with RCI one of our bags did not show up to our cabin by 7pm so I went to inquire and was told the bag had been "confiscated" because it had alcohol it in. I was then led to a little room by a very unpleasnt employee and instructed to open the bag so they could see what was in it. While several employees stood staring at me I got down on the floor and opened the bag and showed them two bottles of wine. Their published policy allows two bottles of wine per cabin. I was then told ok you can take your bag now (with the wine inside) and I was left to schlep the bag all the way to my cabin. Throughout this episode I was never offered any apology or kind word by any of them.

We are vetern cruisers on many different lines. I'm not at all happy about this encounter and it will be my last RCI cruise.

One should thank God their lives are so great that such a frivolous encounter can generate such ire. I thank RCCL for being thorough in their search for contraband. I don't want to be surrounded by it when I'm on vacation.

Wasn't there so I don't know but was the OP nasty to staff? IMHO, you get what you give.

I am betting this is the case. If the OP went down to the naughty room with the "where's the bleepity bleep is my bag" I am pretty sure the staff would not be all rosy and cheery. Of course none of us were there so can only take the word of the OP.

If (and that is a big if) they were courteous to the staff and had a rude response that is unacceptable.

As for having the bag delivered, I agree I would rather schlep it to my cabin than wait for them to deliver it, especially at that point. Maybe an offer to bring it later should be provided, but then we would get they didn't deliver my bag for 2 hours, I'm not cruising with them anymore thread :rolleyes:.

If you check the past history, they ask a lot of really mundane other questions for "veteran cruisers" too.

I do not believe they have cruised often or they would certainly know much of what they asked. Odd! Just sayin:cool:

This is how treat their customers, like crap, it's not a petty reason. It's this and alot more reasons not to cruise with them. So good for you to say no more to this disrespect.

Brad, did you get lost? This isn't a RCCL food topic. :confused:

This seems like a pretty minor issue, if them doing their job is even an issue, to swear off a cruise line. Was the rest of the cruise bad, or did this just sour your mood? But if its that big a deal to you, I wish you the best in your future cruises.

This!!!!!!!:)

My contribution to the 7 page goal. No words can express how dumb it is to not sail again because of a call to the naughty room. Be happy "someone" thinks you can be a little naughty.

How was the rest of cruise? How many "naughty" people did you encounter during the cruise? Did you do any other "naughty" things. Come on OP, share. This is going to get juicy!

JUST KIDDIN' - I was just being "naughty". :p

Hey, you can always sail Carnival. They don't have time to stalk people's luggage, they are too busy paddling the ship to the next port! LOL LOL :) :)........ Dang, I was being "naughty" again! Sorry! :)

Archived