New 2013 inclusive beverage program details

Bill Leiber

Phil, I agree the 'all inclusive' strap-line was very misleading. I assumed it would be the same as Regent, etc.

Minor quibble, but slightly misleading. Even on Regent you can't get Château Lafite Rothschild or Dom Perignon (or lots of other lesser quality wines); they also have a defined list that is generally available, with better stuff for sale. But I agree their list is considerably broader than this one.

That said, this list is not bad. :) I do wish there were something bubbly (and I'd be fine with a Spanish cava), but the list includes wines that I did not hear when I called the Azamara help line. I'll need to discuss with my wife, but, even if we want a little upgrade, we're not looking at a lot of money. Sure wish the release had been a few days earlier; it would have alleviated a lot of unnecessary anxiety.

BUT, I do sympathize with the beer drinkers. Becks (now made by AB) is acceptable, but if you want something good and not hoppy, you're out of luck.:(

We are on the Journey in April - prior to the cruises with the inclusive drinks that start then. If I were to purchase a classic drinks package, would that be similar to the list Mr Lieber posted above? Also the classic package says all beer brands, is that only the 3 offered above or the 26 brands available in a beer package.

It also said on Mr Leibers post that we can look on the website to find out what beers are in a beer package, and go to a FAQ section, but I can not seem to find them anywhere. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

The answers to my questions will determine whether we purchase a package or not.:)

I think Bill published the list more quickly than AZ were able to update their website. I can't find it either.

We have cruised on most lines and dipped into the 'luxury' market last year with a trip with Regent.

After witnessing declining standards on P&O we really enjoyed the Regent experience and booked Azamara for this Summer.

I also feel the lack of clarity of the 'all inclusive' question has not shown Azamara in a good light.

It is not nearly as 'inclusive' as Regent and I can imagine some people will be disappointed.

There are so many options/upgrades I can see plenty of confusion...........not least for the poor crew.

Having said that the list of inclusive drinks/wines are fine by us and to be honest the price we paid is considerably less than Regent.

If we enjoy the excellent food and service that others on this forum have spoken about we will think we have made the right choice:)

My husband and I are huge water drinkers. Don't drink any soda, he might have 1 beer on the cruise and minimal wine in the dining room. On previous AZ cruises, all water was included, even the Evians and Pelligrino's. That was a huge deal to us since we drink it all day long. Now, we have to buy a package or pay for the "premium" waters? I know in the grand scheme of the cruise, it isn't a huge amount of money, but it is just one more thing we have to consider when pricing out and comparing cruises. Very disappointing that this has now come in to play as well.

My husband and I are huge water drinkers. Don't drink any soda, he might have 1 beer on the cruise and minimal wine in the dining room. On previous AZ cruises, all water was included, even the Evians and Pelligrino's. That was a huge deal to us since we drink it all day long. Now, we have to buy a package or pay for the "premium" waters? I know in the grand scheme of the cruise, it isn't a huge amount of money, but it is just one more thing we have to consider when pricing out and comparing cruises. Very disappointing that this has now come in to play as well.

We have never had Evian and Pelligrinos included on any of our Azamara cruises, always paid extra for them - I believe this was always how it was meant to be, but sometimes waiters did not interpret the regulations correctly. For still water the included bottle - I cannot remember its type, it was generic - was absolutely fine. It would have been nice to have a generic sparking water included at no additional cost but its not a deal breaker for us.

Another Azamara mess. And poor Bill is the messenger of the lousy message.

He is in an untenable position

The whole policy makes no sense. The choices are poor to be sure. The labeling "all inclusive" is absurd

Remember that they were calling this "bespoke?" Budweiser?

At what point will the on board experience compensate for all this mismanagement?

Phil, I agree the 'all inclusive' strap-line was very misleading. I assumed it would be the same as Regent, etc.

The marketing also mentioned International beers, yet only American ones are on Bill's list.

Maybe the spirits list is incomplete, as I don't see a dark rum, yet many of the cocktails are made with dark rum. Maybe one can ask for the cocktail without all the additions, just the rum!

I shall, of course, do my usual cruise review

Tim

I think you'll find that Beck's is a European Brand from Germany, it may be produced in the States (and the UK) under licence, so technically Bill is right about 'International' beers. However, the taste may be different to the 'European' blend if the ship is supplied from the States.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beck's_Brewery

Apart from that I am looking forward to my usual Margarita or G&T in Mosaic but now at no cost!

Steve

Edited by mara01

Going off at something of a tangent - are there any non-alcoholic beers or wines available on the Inclusive list ? Silversea carry alcohol free red, white and sparkling plus alcohol free beers. I know that they are regarded as one step up the cruise ladder and provide champagne as a matter of course but the alcohol free option should be available on Azamara without being regarded Premium. Any ideas ?

Hi Bill,

We have a question for you.

My husband and I are on the Quest British Open Cruise in July and have purchased the Perry Golf Package. It includes a "Standard Drink Package", a previous value of $29.95 per day per person.

Since standard drinks are now included in the cruise price, will Azamara include an up-graded drink package, similar in value to the now redundant standard drink package, in the Perry Golf Package?

Thanks for your help.

I shall, of course, do my usual cruise review

My advice would be not to let the communication by Azamara of the enhancements sour the anticipation of your cruise. It does sound from some of the dialogue on this board that they've gone to hell in a handbasket, but my experiences have been of a wonderful ship and crew, both of which will hopefully put things in perspective. Please come back and tell us how you got on.

Phil

They haven't been included on my previous cruises either.

Phil

No Cosmo. :(:(:(:(:(

I guess they can't please everyone.

Don't give up. It appears there are drinks listed that include all the ingredients of a Cosmo. Clearly they can't list every drink that might exist (e.g., they don't list a gin and tonic, but clearly it's included), so it's worth asking, either here on on the ship.;)

OK here goes:

So Tim doesn't feel that Bill is making him feel like a valued guest. Hmm, ok, not sure that is his job but then again not sure how you feel he has done something to give you the impression he doesn't value us all either!

Beers. Yes, they suck. Bud is possibly the worst beer in the world, imho, and Becks is only just passable. That is a very limited selection indeed!

All inclusive and what it means. Again, you want vodka and coke, included. You want Scotch and soda, check. Bottle of water, Yep. Red, white or rose wine, fill your boots. A beer, well, see above but I guess they would claim it is covered. So I guess my point is, that is all inclusive in terms of them supplying you with 'an option' of all the choices available.

Yes it's not Guinness or Boddingtons or Estrella Damn (more's the pity!), no you can't get a Stoli, no the $50 dollar wines are not included or a glass of Cristal, so you may have a point about the marketing of it. Interestingly is it called all-inclusive anywhere else in the worl other than the UK????

Plus, why do people seem to approach their first cruise with such trepidation when all you hear on here is that the cruises are wonderful and you should not let any CS breakdowns worry you!

Anyway, where's Proctor when you need someone to have a good moan, this thread is severely lacking his input! :eek:

I am very much looking foward to Larry serving me up a 'Salty Dog' on my cruise on Quest in just 13 sleeps time! Whoop whoop! :D

Another Azamara mess. And poor Bill is the messenger of the lousy message.

He is in an untenable position

The whole policy makes no sense. The choices are poor to be sure. The labeling "all inclusive" is absurd

Remember that they were calling this "bespoke?" Budweiser?

At what point will the on board experience compensate for all this mismanagement?

Actually Laraine, the on-board experience probably does still compensate for the rest of the muddle and hassle the the Company seems determined to create. The on-board experience really is just that good. There is a point at which that well may become history, but it hadn't been reached for us as of last October on the Journey. It does seem to me that the more management manages then the more uproar is created. Perhaps well enough should be left alone and not "tweaked " so much.

Just musing a little,

Ed

Edited by greeneg

Although not detailed I'm guessing that with vodka and triple sec being on the inclusive list they'd make one for you with the cranberry and lime/lemon juice from the free soda list.

Phil

I agree with what you and NC&KY wrote. I am hopeful. Even if they don't I still feel the list is fair so I won't be a whiner. :)

OK here goes:

All inclusive and what it means. Again, you want vodka and coke, included. You want Scotch and soda, check. Bottle of water, Yep. Red, white or rose wine, fill your boots. A beer, well, see above but I guess they would claim it is covered. So I guess my point is, that is all inclusive in terms of them supplying you with 'an option' of all the choices available.

! :D

Where does it say "All inclusive"? It must be in the UK because Azamara is not marketing itself that way in the US as far as I have seen.

Where does it say "All inclusive"? It must be in the UK because Azamara is not marketing itself that way in the US as far as I have seen.

I think that is the question being asked - in which countries is the wording "All inclusive" being used and in which is it not.

I cannot fully put my hand on my heart about what words were used in Azamara UK's own marketing but open every UK tabloid newspaper and the word is included in travel agent/online reseller UK cruise adverts. If we could name websites, I could send you to some right now where these words still are in place in the UK. Indeed one of the resellers is a subsidiary of Royal Carib where if you click on their All Inclusive cruise tab, up pops some Azamara cruises.

Trouble is AI means different things to different people - my interpretation was always based on what I had experienced in hotels abroad - a reasonable range of items were included but top shelf (and sometimes middle shelf) were ere excluded

As has been said, boxes have been ticked - whether you like how the box was ticked is the issue

I do wonder thought - and I think this applies to spirits predominantly - if we did blind tasting how many of us could really really tell. Again we could tell bottom vs top shelf - but what about bottom included by Az vs middle not included

DH may miss his Peroni, I plan to bring some bottle labels and stick them on the Becks bottles, after a few will he really know?

(Just joking, in all seriousness, life is too short for me to worry about this!)

Edited by uktog

I think that is the question being asked - in which countries is the wording "All inclusive" being used and in which is it not.

I cannot fully put my hand on my heart about what words were used in Azamara UK's own marketing but open every UK tabloid newspaper and the word is included in travel agent/online reseller UK cruise adverts. If we could name websites, I could send you to some right now where these words still are in place in the UK. Trouble is AI means different things to different people - my interpretation was always based on what I had experienced in hotels abroad - a reasonable range of items were included but top shelf (and sometimes middle shelf) were ere excluded

I understand. We are back to the same issue of marketing. Perfect case in point was our Celebrity Silhouette cruise in December. It exceeded our expectations in every way, but note that we went with lowered expectations as we paid a low per diem and were traveling on a large "mass market" ship. Flash forward and I was really surprised to find some negative reviews from those on the same ship when we returned. But guess what? Those reviews stated that Celebrity was not the "Luxury" experience that their travel agents had hyped. I had missed the part about the Celebrity tag line of "Modern Luxury" because I have never thought of Celebrity as a luxury line, so never had those expectations.

Edited by Jade13

Trouble is AI means different things to different people - my interpretation was always based on what I had experienced in hotels abroad - a reasonable range of items were included but top shelf (and sometimes middle shelf) were excluded

I would even say more: In Turkey or Egypt a FIVE star All In resort will only offer LOCAL spirits and everybody knows and agree. And now here some people complain about the limited choice but I think what AZ "more inclusive" is offering now is far above all you can get in ALL IN resorts !

Perhaps you could help me and point to where that phrase was used and by whom?

Way back when the original enhancement announcement was made. They were calling the enhancements a bespoke experience. Larry primentel later directed marketing not to use the word. We all had a good laugh

So far nothing they have done is remotely bespoke

Thanks, Bill, for posting the comprehensive list. Because I enjoy those sweet drinks (yes, pina colada, bay breeze, daiquiri, etc.) and never drink beer, I am very happy with the selection offered.:)

Edited by CintiPam