Paris Restaurants

karen sharpe

We will be leaving shortly for our first trip to Paris and we have booked the following restaurants for dinners.....I would really appreciate a little first hand traveller's advice on these three choices(Trip advisor seems to be okay with them) and any info on some fabulous lunch spots. ... Paul Chene , L'Ange 20 and Le Grand Colbert.

Thanks! Karen.

Hi,

We dined in L'Ange 20 in May and had a wonderful time; in fact, mine is one of the reviews on TripAdvisor. If I had to characterise our evening there in one word it would be 'fun'. The food was great and the price amazing, €28 for three courses, but it was the ambience that made the occasion outstanding. This was, in large part, due to the waiter, Christopher, who was our welcoming host and master of ceremonies for the evening.

Our first impressions were not great. The restaurant is situated in a rather dingy side-street in the Marais and the dining room is tiny and cramped. The chef/patron, Thierry, cooks the food in full view of the diners. You will be seated shoulder to shoulder with your dining companions who, at least for the early seating, are likely to be English speaking tourists. To get the most from your visit, it is necessary to be of a sociable nature and willing to engage in conversation with your fellow diners. This creates, if you are lucky, a marvellous sense of bonhomie as the evening wears on and the wine and conversation flow in equal measure.

On arrival, you will be greeted by Christopher who will propose a glass of Vie en Rose sparkling wine to start proceedings. For the main course, I had the slow-cooked lamb which was melt in the mouth tender and my companion had the salmon which she thoroughly enjoyed. As well as by the glass and bottle, wine is also available in 50cl pichets which are great value. I had a pichet of red Bordeaux and my companion had a pichet of white wine. Both were recommended by Christopher and you can trust his advice. My companion was by now in discussion with Thierry, the chef and cooking just a few feet away, over the recipe for his carrot purée which he gladly gave her.

It was a great evening, due both to the quality of the food and the atmosphere, and we will be returning to L'Ange 20 when we next visit Paris in September.

Dermot

karen sharpe ~ WOW how I envy you just going to Paris - our trip was last October and I'm ready to go again! (plan on in 2014!)

Paul Chene ~ a fabulous little place - SO happy DH chose it!!! It was the best meal ever - and that's coming from NYC "foodies" that have been fortunate to eat in some marvelous places thanks to a daughter who's a restaurant manager and her husband who's a chef!!

Anyway - the restaurant is very small (tiny!) with no real bar and that adds to its charm! But don't get there too early!! Unfortunately we did due to rain that interferred with a pre-visit to the Eiffel Tower. We mistakenly thought we'd have a pre-dinner drink at the bar and kill time - wrong! After a moment of "horror" that passed on Harold Audouin's face (he's the owner and that evening the waiter!) he graciously seated us! We explained we were sorry for being early and I even said please ignore us - but he was the perfect host offering us champagne and we felt that we were eating in his dining room at his home! There's room for about 25 diners and that night besides us there were about 10 people - he was the only one waiting on us - and he is very charming!!!

Dinner was fantastic - I think its the only restaurant I remember going to that there were no prices on my menu - DH's had prices - real "old fashioned"!!!

First he appeared with an amuse-bouche ~ a small offering of muscles in green sauce (yes, I later wrote everything down - often do that with great meals!) DH had venison pate and I had pan seared FoieGras in cognac sauce, I usually don't eat foirgras but it sounded SO good and tasted even better! He even came over with a large jar of cornichon that he said he had made from his grandfather's recipe to go put the pate. I think he served a sorbet between this and the main course.

For an entree DH had roasted goose breast with orange liqueur sauce and I had a Lute of scallops with truffles - the scallops were in the shell with puff pastry covering the whole shell - he came over to present it and then took i to cut open the shell and served it with the bottom containing the food and the top still cobered with the pastry on the side - just fantastic!

We had a cheese course - I think we chose 3 or 4 cheses - and then I had creme brulee and DH had Profiteroles au Chocolat. I think he also served us after dinner drinks but can't remember what.

DH said we had a Rhone red wine but I can't find the name - must have gotten lost with the other papers! Dinner was expensive ($325) but I'm sure a large part was the wine - DH has expensive tastes! He couldn't remember the cost of the wine but said the list is excellent with wine prices at all ends. But no matter what cost - dinner was well worth it!

Sorry this is SO long - but dinner there was more of an experience that a meal!! Our only "problem" - we ate there our 2nd night and nothing could compare with it!! I don't think we were trying to "top" Paul Chene but no matter where we ate, and we did go to some very good places during the rest of the trip, we'd always find ourselves talking about some part of THAT meal!!

Hope you enjoy your experience and please report back - I'll be curious to "hear" what someone else thinks of Paul Chene!!

As for lunch - we had a delightful meal at a little place on Rue Cler - don't remember the name and also at the Flotilla at Versailles - by the Grand Canal. We tended to have quicker lunches. Another good dinner - and I think they're open for lunch - was Bofingers near the Bastile Monument.

Have a GREAT time - we can't wait to go back in 2014!!!!

Thanks so much Dermot...great review and advice....were there any other fun spots you stopped for lunches?

Hi Karen,

We were your typical tourists and had lunch in two museums: Musée d'Orsay and Musée Jacquemart-André. I would not describe them as fun spots, but both dining rooms were amazingly beautiful and the food was also good. Clearly, the following information will only be relevant if you are intending to visit these museums. If you are, then please book your tickets online to avoid the long queues.

You can see a photo of the Musée d'Orsay restaurant, which was originally opened in 1900 and is redolent of the elegance of la belle époque, at this link,

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/visit/services/restaurants.html

The food itself receives mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, but we found it very good. We had to queue for twenty minutes to get a table, but it was worth the wait.

The café of Musée Jacquemart-André is routinely described as the most beautiful dining room in Paris and features a frescoed ceiling by Tiepolo.

http://www.paris-insider.com/history/musee-jacquemart-andre-small-museums-huge-appeal

Civilised living does not get much better than sipping wine and eating good food in such surroundings.

As a rule of thumb, when out and about on the streets of a foreign city at lunch time, we find it a safe bet to choose a café that is packed with locals. Avoid eating in such touristy areas as the vicinity of Notre Dame cathedral where a cup of coffee will set you back €6.

I'm very interested in this thread too. Thanks for all of the tips. I have one question. I have read that the restaurants expect reservations for dinner. What about lunch? Do we need reservations for lunch too? I just want a cafe lunch. But maybe at one of the famous ones. More wine than food. For dinner too. :D

I'm very interested in this thread too. Thanks for all of the tips. I have one question. I have read that the restaurants expect reservations for dinner. What about lunch? Do we need reservations for lunch too? I just want a cafe lunch. But maybe at one of the famous ones. More wine than food. For dinner too. :D

I'm not sure about needing reservations for lunch, unless you plan on going somewhere like L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon. Which we did, and had them cancelled on us, but that's a whole 'nother story....

Just be aware that if you are planning to be in Paris anytime other than the absolute dead season, those lovely, famous cafes are going to be wall-to-wall people. We stopped by late (around 2pm) to see about getting lunch at either Les Deux Magots or Cafe de Flore when we were in Paris in late December. The tables were packed so tight that if you dropped your napkin, it would land on someone else's lap -- I kid you not.

Sounds romantic in theory, not so much in practice. We skipped it. There are many other, less well known places where you can grab an excellent lunch without the marquee prices, crowds, and attitude.

Cruisemom, I'm open to any suggestions. We are staying on the left bank in the Saint Germain section. We like to eat within walking distance, even if it is a long stroll. I am trying to get a handle on where to eat from what I read in the various guide books. I am getting a little more anxious than usual because a) we need a Sunday and I'm reading that many restaurants are closed on Sunday, b) I keep reading that you need reservations or they will treat you poorly, plus I don't like waiting around for a table. We don't need a fancy classic french restaurant. I don't think for two days we have to spend the valuable time on eating.

I'm not sure about needing reservations for lunch, unless you plan on going somewhere like L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon. Which we did, and had them cancelled on us, but that's a whole 'nother story....

Just be aware that if you are planning to be in Paris anytime other than the absolute dead season, those lovely, famous cafes are going to be wall-to-wall people. We stopped by late (around 2pm) to see about getting lunch at either Les Deux Magots or Cafe de Flore when we were in Paris in late December. The tables were packed so tight that if you dropped your napkin, it would land on someone else's lap -- I kid you not.

Sounds romantic in theory, not so much in practice. We skipped it. There are many other, less well known places where you can grab an excellent lunch without the marquee prices, crowds, and attitude.

I'm going to suggest that you wander over to the Chowhound website and browse the France group. Some fantastic suggestions are coming out of there!! It is more of a foodie group than what you find over on T/A (which is more tourist-driven).

Cruisemom, I'm open to any suggestions. We are staying on the left bank in the Saint Germain section. We like to eat within walking distance, even if it is a long stroll. I am trying to get a handle on where to eat from what I read in the various guide books. I am getting a little more anxious than usual because a) we need a Sunday and I'm reading that many restaurants are closed on Sunday, b) I keep reading that you need reservations or they will treat you poorly, plus I don't like waiting around for a table. We don't need a fancy classic french restaurant. I don't think for two days we have to spend the valuable time on eating.

I agree with Slidergirl's suggestion to look at Chowhound for ideas. But I'd also say that for the short time you're going to be there, I wouldn't stress about every meal. It really is fine to just find a place for lunch by serendipity.

Thanks. We usually do that, just wander around until we see something. I was beginning to believe that was not possible in Paris. But I am learning otherwise. Thanks.

I agree with Slidergirl's suggestion to look at Chowhound for ideas. But I'd also say that for the short time you're going to be there, I wouldn't stress about every meal. It really is fine to just find a place for lunch by serendipity.

We will be leaving shortly for our first trip to Paris and we have booked the following restaurants for dinners.....I would really appreciate a little first hand traveller's advice on these three choices(Trip advisor seems to be okay with them) and any info on some fabulous lunch spots. ... Paul Chene , L'Ange 20 and Le Grand Colbert.

Thanks! Karen.

We have been to Paul Chene and L'Ange 20.

Paul Chene is more upscale, expensive, and more traditional French with a touch of chef creativity. Harold is the owner and treats his guests as if they were in his dining room. This was our nice night out. Chateaubriand, wine, foie gras, profiteleros were all outstanding. I would go back.

L'Ange 20 is small, casual, has great prices and great food. It's fun and friendly and all tables in this small restaurant are very close together. It has more of a bistro feel and you will find many Americans and Brits at L'Ange 20, and that probably has much to do with the Trip Advisor reviews.

Both restaurants are English friendly. You can tell that Harold really enjoys seeing people from all ove the world and will engage you on your likes dislikes and try to get you to try new things.

Yup, for lunch, we were on the run during our short Paris vacation and usually looked for a place where we could grab a sandwich on a baguette in the proximity of site we were visiting. Not sure if the places OP mentioned in this thread are even open for lunch.

Thanks Fotopeg for the info. I fully understand the emotion behind your feeling about amazing spots to eat in while in Europe. Many of our best travelling memories are about the local restaurants, from cliffs to deserts..

Outside of Paul Chene our only other dining extravagance is The Grand Colbert..I want to do a Diane Keaton at table # 30 with my Jack Nicholson!

I can't imagine how wonderful it will be to eat Foie Gras with homemade pickles AND "local" wine from The Rhone.!

Dermot... thanks I like the idea of having one lunch surrounded by a little opulence and Hub of Hockey...I agree we have heard that Paris is the city of amazing sandwiches...we will be eating lunch as we walk and it has always been best to look for the restaurant that is packed with local people.

Besides all this need for me to stress about the preplanning there are always amazing hotel concierge's to consult for each decision.

BTW have any of you had the breakfast at Hotel Ibis on the way to Versailles?

Oh that looks wonderful, will be in Paris for 10 days in Oct. pre cuise. Staying in the 4th, and that looks very walkable.

We really enjoyed our dinner at Les Papilles. It is a set menu that the chef changes every day. Everyone in the restaurant is served the set menu. Reservations a must. Here is their website. We walked here from our hotel which was located near the St. Michel metro.

http://www.lespapillesparis.fr/EN_index.html

Thanks Fotopeg for the info. I fully understand the emotion behind your feeling about amazing spots to eat in while in Europe. Many of our best travelling memories are about the local restaurants, from cliffs to deserts..

Outside of Paul Chene our only other dining extravagance is The Grand Colbert..I want to do a Diane Keaton at table # 30 with my Jack Nicholson!

I can't imagine how wonderful it will be to eat Foie Gras with homemade pickles AND "local" wine from The Rhone.!

Dermot... thanks I like the idea of having one lunch surrounded by a little opulence and Hub of Hockey...I agree we have heard that Paris is the city of amazing sandwiches...we will be eating lunch as we walk and it has always been best to look for the restaurant that is packed with local people.

Besides all this need for me to stress about the preplanning there are always amazing hotel concierge's to consult for each decision.

BTW have any of you had the breakfast at Hotel Ibis on the way to Versailles?

Ibis breakfast is a good value and good take before Versailles because it's quick and the food is decent and fresh.

Archived