Top-Rated Ellen DeGeneres in Sydney! Lovin' Australia!

Personally, I don't think it matters who promotes our country to the Americans as I think we are too far away for the majority to travel here.

I have travelled a fair bit in the U.S due to having relatives just across the border in Canada as well as visiting friends in Ohio and the common response I heard when people asked where I was from was "I would love to go there but it's too far away" or that the flight is too long.

Australians and New Zealanders are used to long flights as it is our only option if we want to go anywhere.

The Chinese are our biggest tourists and when I was on a land based holiday in India a few months ago the advertisement promoting Australian tourism was being shown frequently on the telly.

Regards Elaine.

I think its an excuse when people say 'its too far to travel to' people often become jealous when you mention a vacation to a far away place and they start Colin up with excuses. I'm from NYC and there is NO place that's too far me to travel! I feel sorry for those who cannot physically travel, but those who can and won't, oh well. Australia is not going to come to you.

I think its an excuse when people say 'its too far to travel to' people often become jealous when you mention a vacation to a far away place and they start Colin up with excuses. I'm from NYC and there is NO place that's too far me to travel! I feel sorry for those who cannot physically travel, but those who can and won't, oh well. Australia is not going to come to you.

Mothballs: the common response I heard when people asked where I was from was "I would love to go there but it's too far away" or that the flight is too long. Australians and New Zealanders are used to long flights as it is our only option if we want to go anywhere. The Chinese are our biggest tourists and when I was on a land based holiday in India a few months ago the advertisement promoting Australian tourism was being shown frequently on the telly. Regards Elaine.

Appreciate very much the good and wise comments from heatherandfred and Elaine. YES' date=' sadly, some have real physical limits, but for many, it is just a [i']"mental thing"[/i]. As we are planning for our January and February time and adventures in Australia and NZ, it clearly is a long, long way to go. BUT, from everyone with whom I have talked and who has been there, they rate it as really and super "WORTH IT!!". Fortunately we just got our long flights booked using American Air Freq. Flyer miles, including nice, added stops in Hawaii, coming down and going back.

THANKS for all of the sharing and ideas from those down under! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,555 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I have no opinion either way on Ellen as, like with most 'celebrities', I have never met her. I have seen glimpses on TV and I guess it's like with Oprah et al with people seeking something and these people tapping into that need. Sort of like the envangilists without the religion. I say good luck that she can make a living entertaining people.

As for her opinion of Australia as a travel destination on a paid-for trip to promote herself and Australia, I don't care to be honest - it's unlikely to be a warts and all review. If the interest generated brings more tourists then that's good.

Actually I am more interested to get Terry from Ohio's opinion after his trip next year. I have enjoyed reading his posts and seeing the amount of prep he has done. I can see that for Terry half the fun is in the planning :)

I consider I am very fortunate to live in Sydney and be able to cruise Aus, NZ & Pacific from a port just a 45' drive from my home. But later this year we are venturing further and flying to Singapore to cruise home, and then next year I hope to fly to Seattle & cruise Alaska, Hawaii and on home to Sydney.

I have no opinion either way on Ellen as, like with most 'celebrities', I have never met her. I have seen glimpses on TV and I guess it's like with Oprah et al with people seeking something and these people tapping into that need.

Actually I am more interested to get Terry from Ohio's opinion after his trip next year. I have enjoyed reading his posts and seeing the amount of prep he has done. I can see that for Terry half the fun is in the planning :) I consider I am very fortunate to live in Sydney and be able to cruise Aus, NZ & Pacific from a port just a 45' drive from my home. But later this year we are venturing further and flying to Singapore to cruise home, and then next year I hope to fly to Seattle & cruise Alaska, Hawaii and on home to Sydney.

Appreciate the encouragement from mr walker. YES, will be happy to share my likes and comments from visiting in and around Cairns/Port Douglas, Adelaide/Kangaroo Island, Sydney and Hobart/Tasmania during our early 2014 adventure. Agree that much of the fun is on the research, preparing and planning. I really enjoy learning more about all of the various options, these countries, the cultures, nature, history, architecture, etc. Good luck on your cruises from Singapore and Seattle. Big, exciting journeys!!

From the News in Australia tomorrow morning, they have this headline: "Ellen DeGeneres leaving Melbourne, may call Australia home" with these highlights: "DeGeneres is leaving Melbourne this morning, boarding a Qantas jet for Los Angeles. She leaves after a triumphant two days in Melbourne. At the party last night in her honour at the Grand Hyatt by the Premier Denis Napthine, Qantas, Swisse and Channel 9, DeGeneres told the Herald Sun they were humbled by the response of Australians to the trip. DeGeneres was accompanied by her mother Betty everywhere she went on the trip. Like her daughter, she said Melbourne has been a highlight of the trip. The crowd at the Grand Hyatt was a who's who of the entertainment, sporting and business worlds. Everyone on the red carpet was unanimous in their admiration for DeGeneres. Earlier DeGeneres said she could imagine making Melbourne her home. 'I can see us living here one day,' she said. 'Not for a while as I've got shows to do, but I can see it happening. This is the most incredible trip, I will never forget it.' "

Also from USA Today on the TV show taping in Melbourne, this headline: "Fans mob Ellen DeGeneres' Melbourne show". The story said: "5,000 fans showed up Tuesday at the star's Melbourne show. 'We have done a few outdoor shows — we did one with Beyoncé in Central Park,' Ellen told the crowd. 'We have had more people here than Central Park, more than Sydney — I love you all.' The Herald Sun reports that the crowd started out at 3,500 and an extra 1,500 were let in, Ellen was reported to be 'blown away' by the numbers. 'The outpouring of support for our show here has been unbelievable,' Ellen said."

Full stories at:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/ellen-degeneres-and-wife-portia-may-one-day-call-australia-home/story-fn907478-1226607139898

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/03/26/fans-mob-ellen-degeneres-melbourne-show/2020421/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,637 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Hi HeatherandFred

I have always been of the opinion (based on my personal observation) that we don't get many Americans coming to Australia - BUT, there are plenty in Europe and the UK :) I think there is a reason that they don't come here much - probably more than just "too far away". Any thoughts ??

Barry

A great story. We usually stay at the Grand Hyatt, it's a beautiful hotel. One thing that bugs me about these grand events is that in the "who's who A list" is that sportsmen get a gig. Australia worships these usually inflated egotistical people who play sports like they are gods. It isn't even that we are performing well either!

It's sad that some of the people who do great work volunteering, like SES, or the scientists who discover something that truly makes a difference to the world etc etc, never ever get the invite to these events. Just wrong.

Hi HeatherandFred

I have always been of the opinion (based on my personal observation) that we don't get many Americans coming to Australia - BUT, there are plenty in Europe and the UK :) I think there is a reason that they don't come here much - probably more than just "too far away". Any thoughts ??

Barry

I found Americans do not get as much holidays as the rest of the world.

Look at us here in Australia. Four weeks paid annual holidays a year. If you are lucky and depending on the type of work you do, the hours you work and what time of day you work you could end up with six weeks paid holidays a year.

Europe is much the same from what I hear.

When I talk to Americans on travels they often tell me that they do not get the amount of holidays we get and have to look for something short and sweet.

As far as these celebrities go. All I know is that this woman talks the talk of Americans and they listen to her. That is beneficial to our tourism in that way. I dont watch the show, I dont know anything about her apart from being a tv host. At the moment the local news I watch has had nill coverage of her which is what I expect. When you tune into the other networks that cover these visits I am often left scratching my head as to why on earth there are screaming and hysterical fans out there that burst into tears on sight of a celebrity. I just dont get excited like that over anything and cant understand it.

Australia worships these usually inflated egotistical people who play sports like they are gods.

Isn't a matter of like attracts like? Surely this applies also:

Australia worships these usually inflated egotistical people who are on TV like they are gods.

Perhaps the deserving people who do good things are actually busy doing those things to attend??:):):)

And I agree with Sutho who wrote "..... I am often left scratching my head as to why on earth there are screaming and hysterical fans out there that burst into tears on sight of a celebrity".

And I have nothing against Ellen.

Hi HeatherandFred

Barry

Interesting Barry.Are you saying that perhaps it is too expensive to travel downunder?

I still think it is the long flights that put the Americans off and they can travel to Europe and the UK in a lot shorter time.New York to London is about 7 hours.

Although I haven't cruised a lot I have been fortunate to travel on land tours to many countries and I always find that the Americans talk about how long it took to arrive at a destination.

As I stated in a previous post,we Aussies and Kiwi's think nothing of long flights as we have to do it if we want to go anywhere.

As far as celebrities go I'm not really interested unless it is the Commando from the Biggest Loser.That man is sex on legs;)

Regards Elaine.

Isn't a matter of like attracts like? Surely this applies also:

Australia worships these usually inflated egotistical people who are on TV like they are gods.

Perhaps the deserving people who do good things are actually busy doing those things to attend??:):):)

Yes. Good points indeed.

Interesting Barry.Are you saying that perhaps it is too expensive to travel downunder?

No -- I really have no idea why. Sutho has brought up a very relevant point about their shortish amounts of annual leave - and certainly for US East Coasters, it is a long way to Oz.

I suspect that the allure of Australia just isn't there - when compared to the history and sights of Europe.

Barry

When the Australian Dollar was 50c to the US Dollar the Americans just loved coming downunder. They got $2 for every 1 of theirs, and when they checked out a price in a restaurant or shop they just halved it.

Also do not believe all the Hollywood hype about rich Americans. Most citizens are on an hourly rate we wouldn't even get out of bed for , and as Sutho said , 2 weeks holiday is the norm for most US workers and not 1 day more.

Oh for goodness sake! Even if we only get a few thousand from the US it will be worth it. The only Americans who can afford to travel are the wealthy and from what I have observed after being there numinous times is they spend big. I observed a American pay $100 for what he believed was an original Boomerang (A piece of Plastic).

Regarding the comments about the ‘wife’ stop being small minded.:mad:

Hi HeatherandFred

Barry

JMO, I think people are scared. They're afraid to experience other cultures that are NOT their own. They may be unsure of how to act or what to say. I go on every trip with the mindset that no one is going to be racist towards me, because I'm black( you'd be surprised how many folks don't travel because of this stupidity!) I LOVE traveling and it started at an early age. My mom has been to every continent except Antartica. I admire travelers and those who can make a go of it!

I found Americans do not get as much holidays as the rest of the world.

Look at us here in Australia. Four weeks paid annual holidays a year. If you are lucky and depending on the type of work you do, the hours you work and what time of day you work you could end up with six weeks paid holidays a year.

Europe is much the same from what I hear.

When I talk to Americans on travels they often tell me that they do not get the amount of holidays we get and have to look for something short and sweet.

As far as these celebrities go. All I know is that this woman talks the talk of Americans and they listen to her. That is beneficial to our tourism in that way. I dont watch the show, I dont know anything about her apart from being a tv host. At the moment the local news I watch has had nill coverage of her which is what I expect. When you tune into the other networks that cover these visits I am often left scratching my head as to why on earth there are screaming and hysterical fans out there that burst into tears on sight of a celebrity. I just dont get excited like that over anything and cant understand it.

I know some jobs you don't get a lot of vacation time. Schoolteachers in the US get 3 months off, plus all holidays in between. At my job, I have a bank of which my vacay time goes in. If I don't take any, it can accrue to many weeks. I think it all depends on where you work.

Oh for goodness sake! Even if we only get a few thousand from the US it will be worth it. The only Americans who can afford to travel are the wealthy and from what I have observed after being there numinous times is they spend big. I observed a American pay $100 for what he believed was an original Boomerang (A piece of Plastic).

Regarding the comments about the ‘wife’ stop being small minded.:mad:

I find that not to be true. I'm far from wealthy. Mom is retired nurse with an excellent pension. Lol. I save my pennies and go on holiday when the spirit moves me. I think if people do their research, bargains are to be found. As for that American who payed $100 for a boomerang....smh...pure silliness.

Interesting comments posted here. Some I agree with, some I do not. It is true that in the US we generally don't get as much vacation time as other countries. Two weeks is the general minimum, not maximum. Many people receive much more (myself fortunately being one of them :D). Haven't been to OZ or NZ yet but will definitely get there some day! Up til now for me it's more about experiencing different cultures. I've visited many countries in Europe, the Middle East & South America where I've been able to do this. Not that OZ/NZ culture is the same as in North America, but you are a young continent like us and don't have the rich history as in other parts of the world. That being said I truly can't wait to visit "down under" someday & see your beautiful country & meet the friendly locals!

I live in Melbourne but spent a couple years in Nashville. It was a big deal for people there to go overseas, less frequent than for Australians or kiwis. There were too many good destinations on the mainland you could drive to. If you had kids would you go to Disneyworld or Warner Brothers movie world? If you like theatre would you go to Melbourne or broadway? If you like coral reefs you have Hawaii, Fiji and the Caribbean closer.

Australia needs to sell itself on the combination of sites and people, and trips by Ellen and Oprah do a very good job of this. As do campaigns like "best job in the world". It's a safe destination with friendly people and top notch health care. I think you have to want to meet Australians (and koalas) to travel here.

From the Sydney Morning Herald this morning, they have this headline: "Is that island for sale? DeGeneres house hunts Down Under" with these story highlights: "Ellen DeGeneres' love of Australia offers her US audiences the first glimpse into her Australian tour including her wish to buy one of Sydney's historic landmarks. 'Is this a river?' asked her octogenarian mother Betty as she sailed through one of the world's most famous waterways, Sydney Harbour. 'It's the Mississippi,' DeGeneres replied. She is also seen looking to buy a property in Australia's biggest city. 'That's a cute little island,' Ellen told her crew, pointing to the historic Fort Denison. 'There's a cannon on it, too. Find out if that island's for sale.' Unfortunately for Ellen, NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell is the only one who can decide if Fort Denison can be sold, as it would require a change of law. 'We can't sell it,' said a spokeswoman from the Sydney Harbour National Park. 'We're going to show you everything that happened,' Ellen tells her audience, before clarifying 'not everything. They have a lot of nude beaches there.' "

Sounds fun and interesting!!

Full story at:

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/is-that-island-for-sale-degeneres-house-hunts-down-under-20130404-2h8gk.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 125,980 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Archived