Liberty of the Seas picks up Cubans.

I'm also intrigued....

CD Rich Edwards posted this on his facebook this morning:

"I have a saying...that things always happen on your FIRST and LAST cruise....

My first cruise...picked up 2 cubans....YAY...keeps the blood flowing :)"

Watching from out balcony. It appears we picked up two refuges on our way back to Ft Lauderdale. I am sure I will hear more from you than I will on board. Anyone know the story?

Yes, LOS picked up 2 today. Can't tell the whole story just yet, but these 2 were not your ordinary refugees. They were actually going the other way.

Yes, LOS picked up 2 today. Can't tell the whole story just yet, but these 2 were not your ordinary refugees. They were actually going the other way.

WOW, not what I expected to hear. Maybe Miami was to expensive, or they were returning home for health care.

All joking aside hopefully they were in good condition.

We saw the tail end of it. We saw a young boy on the way back to our cabin and he asked if we saw the excitement. When we got back to the cabin many of our neighbors were out on their balconies talking about it. Does anyone know the whole story?

Yup,

We were on that cruise...could feel the vibs as we slowed...and a list of close to 5 degrees as she turned....

Got everybody's attention..found out later what it was. Captain

announced something like this. "3 people in small boat, in distress,

and we are taking them aboard". He said we might be delayed, however

he poured on the coals...we made up that lost half-hour easily

overnight.

Not sure of their outcome. With wet foot/dry foot rule..they are probably already back in Cuba now.

Good move on the Captains part...being on time in port. Hope everybody

made their (expensive) flights OK.

We did express debark..home in Ft Lauderdale at 8:10 AM.

Bob

Actually, according to the message conveyed by captain, there were "2 young men" who had given a distressed signal by waving a white cloth. Having a port side balcony, I was able to see the open boat (about 18') actually approach the LOS. There were 2 young men aboard with life jackets and they disembarked with duffel bags. The boat had several empty jugs on board (presumably for gas), some bottled water and soda. According to the captain's message, the 2 young men had shown proof of US residency and claimed that as they were heading back to Cuba they had become disoriented and were running out of gas. LOS staff climbed into the distressed boat and spray painted "USCG OK" on the floor and sides of the boat, which was later released and allowed to drift off. The US Coast Guard then sent a cutter to rendezvous with LOS and picked up the 2 men. Lady luck was certainly on their side that night. There's been no mention of the event in any of the local South Florida newspapers, so it must be something that sadly happens with some measure of frequency.

Actually, according to the message conveyed by captain, there were "2 young men" who had given a distressed signal by waving a white cloth. Having a port side balcony, I was able to see the open boat (about 18') actually approach the LOS. There were 2 young men aboard with life jackets and they disembarked with duffel bags. The boat had several empty jugs on board (presumably for gas), some bottled water and soda. According to the captain's message, the 2 young men had shown proof of US residency and claimed that as they were heading back to Cuba they had become disoriented and were running out of gas. LOS staff climbed into the distressed boat and spray painted "USCG OK" on the floor and sides of the boat, which was later released and allowed to drift off. The US Coast Guard then sent a cutter to rendezvous with LOS and picked up the 2 men. Lady luck was certainly on their side that night. There's been no mention of the event in any of the local South Florida newspapers, so it must be something that sadly happens with some measure of frequency.

That's pretty much true. They did have U.S. status and were trying to flee to Cuba, partly because of active warrants. They have been returned to the U.S. and arrested.

That's pretty much true. They did have U.S. status and were trying to flee to Cuba, partly because of active warrants. They have been returned to the U.S. and arrested.

Thanks for the update Paul. I was wondering what the full story was after your first post.

I thought maybe they were continuing the invasion at the Bahia de Cochinos. :cool:

Archived