Vegetarian Options on Princess

IECalCruiser

Our upcoming Baltic cruise on the Emerald will be our 15th on Princess, but our first traveling with our DD who is an ovo-lacto vegetarian. I have done some searches but still have some questions. We prefer to eat in the dining room most of the time. I know that breakfast won't be a problem and that there is at least one appetizer, soup, salad and entree option for lunch and dinner that is vegetarian. I have also seen a veggie burger as another option at lunch and in the grill. However, I have not seen any available anytime options for dinner.

We traveled with a friend on our last cruise who had heart and diabetes issues and needed a low fat/low salt diet. He worked with the head waiter each night to modify menus items to meet his needs. Is that also an option for vegetarians? I know that DD won't starve but it might be nice to have more than one vegetarian option each evening.

I was on a strict diet when I went on my Princess cruise last October. Prior to my cruise, I went on the Cruise Personalizer and filled out the information regarding my diet. Each night someone came to my table and took my order for the next nights dinner. I ate a lot of grilled Vegetables each night and they were so tasty. Princess really made it easy to stick to my diet. I need to go on another cruise just so I can get back on track. :o

Does your daughter like Oatmeal? I would go to the buffet area in the morning for Oatmeal (with Brown Sugar) and Fruit (usually pineapple). I really like their Oatmeal. A few times, I also asked someone if they could make an egg for me with no butter or oils.

Also, I'm sure you know about the Salad Bar. If your daughter uses a special dressing on her salad, I would bring some from home.

Does your daughter like grilled cheese? I bet she could get that made at the grill area.

You may have already read this but I thought I would paste it here for you. I copied this off of the Cruise Personalizer.... "Vegetarian items are designated on our dining room menus with a "V" and vegetarian selections are featured in all dining locations, including the buffet. Although we do not offer a vegan menu, some vegetarian selections may be suitable to your requirements. Certain menu items, but not all, may be modified to accommodate your diet. Tofu, egg-free pasta and vegetarian burgers are available onboard and can be prepared in a variety of styles. Please liaise with your Head Waiter or the Maitre d'Hotel upon boarding to confirm suitable selections."

Enjoy your cruise. I'm sure your daughter will have an amazing time. I wish I was going with you! Take care AND Enjoy!!

Hi I'm on a vegan diet and it was very difficult on my Jan Ruby Princess in MDR despite an excellent head waiter but the kitchen did not seem to understand vegan. But lots of vegetarian choices at every meal but with lots of cream/milk/cheeses. We ended up going to the buffet for every meal; much better choices there. I am going on Emerald Princess soon and will skip the MDR altogether. So good for vegetarian not good for vegan. Have a good time....

Vegan too and it's harder. Seeing she eats eggs and cheese, she's not going to have any problem with the menu. I found that Princess seems to design the vegetarian selections for egg and cheese eaters. She can order the pasta dishes and if it comes with meat/fish, omit them.

Be careful depending too much on the V in the menu. Twice, I have seen dishes with meat in the description marked with a V. Also, sometimes they have both a meat and vegetarian version of an item. I've learned to order my meal by saying "the vegetarian" as opposed to what is actually on the menu.

That being said, as a vegetarian, I'm never hungry on a cruise. :-)

I loved the vegetarian options on my last princess cruise, I had no issues ever as a lacto-ovo. I put it on my cruise personalizer. There was a note in my room to meet with a head waiter to confirm what I could and could not eat. In my opinion in the food was great. I was told I could always see the menu the day before and make requests (this was even with anytime dining). I never had to, if there were items that were similar as someone else stated, I always pointed and said the Vegetarian. She can order tofu with steamed vegetables any time, just have to give a day notice.

Edited by HappyGirl2578

Hi I'm on a vegan diet and it was very difficult on my Jan Ruby Princess in MDR despite an excellent head waiter but the kitchen did not seem to understand vegan. But lots of vegetarian choices at every meal but with lots of cream/milk/cheeses. We ended up going to the buffet for every meal; much better choices there. I am going on Emerald Princess soon and will skip the MDR altogether. So good for vegetarian not good for vegan. Have a good time....

You can request Tofu and steamed veggies in the main mdr.

Besides the daily vegeterrian dish, there is often a daily pasta w/o meat. The Always available includes a Fettucine Alfredo which is very good. As well, my DH often chose 2or 3 apps/soups/salads in stead of a main.

No problem if she eats milk products.

Edited by Liz54

She will be fine, but the vegetarian choices on our 2 most recent cruises lended heavily to the Indian style - I.e. curries and some strange combinations. There is always spaghetti with red sauce in the MDR and I ordered it many nights even though it was not listed. I also got steamed veggies every night and they were great! The pizza by the pool always had cheese pizza. And the burger bar always had veggie burgers that the cooked separately in a skillet - they were very slow to cook also! I received the following nights menu each night by the maitre d and he would ask if I needed anything special.

Our upcoming Baltic cruise on the Emerald will be our 15th on Princess, but our first traveling with our DD who is an ovo-lacto vegetarian. I have done some searches but still have some questions. We prefer to eat in the dining room most of the time. I know that breakfast won't be a problem and that there is at least one appetizer, soup, salad and entree option for lunch and dinner that is vegetarian. I have also seen a veggie burger as another option at lunch and in the grill. However, I have not seen any available anytime options for dinner.

We traveled with a friend on our last cruise who had heart and diabetes issues and needed a low fat/low salt diet. He worked with the head waiter each night to modify menus items to meet his needs. Is that also an option for vegetarians? I know that DD won't starve but it might be nice to have more than one vegetarian option each evening.

I personally do not recommend the veggie burger.... and it's fried on the same grill as the regular burgers...so not sure how she feels about that. But I DO recommend the cheese pizza. =)

I could fill up on that!!!

Thanks for the responses. DD also uses soy milk because straight milk upsets her stomach. When I went into Cruise Personalizer to fill out the Written Dietary Requests Form which is required for lactose intolerant, kosher diet, gluten free/no wheat, baby food, food allergy and distilled water requests that they also have information about vegetarians. They don't make it easy to find :rolleyes:

Be careful depending too much on the V in the menu. Twice, I have seen dishes with meat in the description marked with a V. Also, sometimes they have both a meat and vegetarian version of an item. I've learned to order my meal by saying "the vegetarian" as opposed to what is actually on the menu.

That being said, as a vegetarian, I'm never hungry on a cruise. :-)

One of the vegetarian dishes served to my granddaughter on our November Ruby cruise did have bits of meat in it.

She will be fine, but the vegetarian choices on our 2 most recent cruises lended heavily to the Indian style - I.e. curries and some strange combinations. There is always spaghetti with red sauce in the MDR and I ordered it many nights even though it was not listed. I also got steamed veggies every night and they were great! The pizza by the pool always had cheese pizza. And the burger bar always had veggie burgers that the cooked separately in a skillet - they were very slow to cook also! I received the following nights menu each night by the maitre d and he would ask if I needed anything special.

Interesting how many variations ship to ship. My DH loves curries and did not see one vegeterrian curry on the Carribbean Princess in February!

• 4 years later...

I've only done two cruises with Princess but I have never had problems with the vegetarian options. Having one or maybe two vegetarian options is pretty common in land-based restaurants so I’m pretty used to it by now. The Maitre d' came up to me on the first night of both cruises and basically explained to look for the V on the menu. I was happy with just the one option, or having the Fettuccine Alfredo if the nightly vegetarian option really didn’t look appetising. I think I only did that a couple of times.

Saying that, I’m a pretty easy to please vegetarian and I like lots of different cuisines. A friend of mine who is also vegetarian would have had a lot of problems if she was on a cruise as she is very picky (doesn't eat mushrooms, or onions, or tomatoes, or olives etc.). I much preferred the one time I went on Celebrity as they had a separate vegetarian menu with multiple choices for each course – actually sometimes I found it difficult to choose, which is not something I’m used to! But I pick my cruises based on timing and itinerary, and I’ve got my next Princess cruise booked for next month.

This thread is over four years old. I wish Cruise Critic would have threads automatically time out from new responses after a certain period of time without any--perhaps two months. There are several newer threads about vegetarian options on Princess ships.