Beware of RCCL Visa Card

.....Pssssstt.....Hey buddy...can you spare 35000 points?..............:D

At the moment I need every last one of them. But if for some reason I have to cancel my cruise, I will loan you 35,000 points. But you have to pay me back 40,000 points within 12 months. LOL

Is loan sharking ok here on Cruise Critic? Sometimes I just don't have the energy or the inclination to read the fine print.

Do not use the RCCL Visa Card for onboard credit.

You can't be 100% sure you are going to have your onboard credit until you are on the ship and if it's not there, you will never get and it can really ruin a vacation.

I have been told very clearly by both Bank of America and RCCL that they have no ability to give you credit after the fact. So you end up with a bunch of points, no plans for another cruise and a bill for expenses you thought were free...

The online points redemption must have glitched. A Customer Service Representative from RCCL told me she could see the credit applied (it must have been the $500 off the cruise because I now know they can't be seen) and even though the Guest Services Manager on the cruise gave me her card and said it could be fixed afterwards (obviously not). Both were inaccurate and unknowledgeable.

Save yourself a big disappointment during your cruise and headache after the cruise and stick to using points for cruise credits, those you can see and verify.

Thats the reason why I called the Redemption center and this nice agent from Oregon assisted me with redeeming the 10,000 points . She told me that some people were having trouble with redeeming their points online and thought it went through until they boarded and there was a problem. The agent told me its best to redeem your points at least 3 weeks or more before the cruise so it gets processed. They split up your OBC into increments of 5,000 points =$50 and it can be used either for the entire cabin or for an individual on the reservation such as a teenager.

I hope this clears it up. Oh and be sure you have the confirmation# given at the time of redemption. Be aware that once these points have been redeemed unless you cancel the cruise you can't get them back. As these points are non-refundable they are used before the refundable OBC from your Travel Agent etc.

At the moment I need every last one of them. But if for some reason I have to cancel my cruise, I will loan you 35,000 points. But you have to pay me back 40,000 points within 12 months. LOL

Is loan sharking ok here on Cruise Critic? Sometimes I just don't have the energy or the inclination to read the fine print.

Hey! that's Mob math.....Uncle Vinny?...Is that you???...so long as you refer to it as a "bailout" it is permissable.....:D

Hey! that's Mob math.....Uncle Vinny?...Is that you???...so long as you refer to it as a "bailout" it is permissable.....:D

Hey, that's roughly 14.2875 %............that's not bad considering you can take up to a year to pay it off.

I'm sorry you had an issue, but know that it is helpful to others. I, too, am planning to use 50K+ points on my upcoming cruise for OBC as my cruise is already paid in full. And the nice folks at Bank of America had already suggested that one month pre-cruise I should contact them an request the points be applied to the OBC account since it typically takes about 2 weeks for this transaction to take place. Reading your post will definitely cement this in my mind, and I will print copies of everything to take with me. I'm sorry you had a bad experience though.

I've used the credit card OBC several times without trouble. I've always done a couple things to protect myself:

- I don't wait 'til the last minute to send away for the coupons.

- I send them return-receipt-requested, and then I call to verify that they've been credited properly.

- I bring xerox copies of the paperwork on the cruise (though I've never needed to use it).

Since I'm paying college tuition with my Royal card these days, I should be racking up some big points!

I have used for onboard ship credit twice and no problem...but curious to know how easy and how it will work when I use the 75,000 for companion free 7 day cruise....going to plan that soon.

I've used the credit card OBC several times without trouble. I've always done a couple things to protect myself:

- I don't wait 'til the last minute to send away for the coupons.

- I send them return-receipt-requested, and then I call to verify that they've been credited properly.

- I bring xerox copies of the paperwork on the cruise (though I've never needed to use it).

Since I'm paying college tuition with my Royal card these days, I should be racking up some big points!

Actually, no more coupons- it's all done on-line now, and then they email you a confirmation of your points redeemed.

We usually go to the front desk at the beginning of the cruise to verify with them the credit is there. We have had times when it was not and when we provided a copy of our paperwork they were able to get it resolved within a day. Thought this might be useful info for others.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I have used for onboard ship credit twice and no problem...but curious to know how easy and how it will work when I use the 75,000 for companion free 7 day cruise....going to plan that soon.

Julie,

I'm using 75,000 points for a companion fare on Oasis - sailing this Saturday, March 30. I redeemed the points online in January and received an immediate confirmation email. I included my reservation #, ship and sail date. Easy peasy. This was my second companion fare redemption (online is so much better than the old method).

I patiently waited, and waited, and waited. RCCL applied the points 3 weeks prior to the sail date. The reservation was booked directly with RCCL, so when the points were applied, my total amount for the cruise was reduced by the discount (when logged on to the reservation in "my cruises").

I received the maximum discount of $1250! They charged me $10 for the cruise so I would qualify for the 7 C&A cruise points.

I have never used points for OBC, so I can't speak to the OP's sad story. I get a much better value this way - I'll be using 125,000 next time (free cruise for 2).

~Vicki

I had no problems with my points/obc.

There is a chance to print a copy when you select where you want to use your points on the website. I brought the copy with me on my cruise just in case. Any TA can also check to see if it is there.

Another thing people should be aware of, although it might not apply in this case, check your spam folders in your emails when you're expecting an email and don't see it.

Julie,

I'm using 75,000 points for a companion fare on Oasis - sailing this Saturday, March 30. I redeemed the points online in January and received an immediate confirmation email. I included my reservation #, ship and sail date. Easy peasy. This was my second companion fare redemption (online is so much better than the old method).

I patiently waited, and waited, and waited. RCCL applied the points 3 weeks prior to the sail date. The reservation was booked directly with RCCL, so when the points were applied, my total amount for the cruise was reduced by the discount (when logged on to the reservation in "my cruises").

I received the maximum discount of $1250! They charged me $10 for the cruise so I would qualify for the 7 C&A cruise points.

I have never used points for OBC, so I can't speak to the OP's sad story. I get a much better value this way - I'll be using 125,000 next time (free cruise for 2).

~Vicki

Thanks Vicki....

I take then you make the reservations first and then use your points to get credit your reservation...I also always make my reservations with RCCL directly. So sounds like it is really easy! :)

Then one more question...if you don't mind..then it depends on the amount credit is what room cat. you take....so if you took a suite you could get that amount verse a inside rate.:confused: Thanks.

Yes - I made the reservation with RCCL last September, then redeemed the Visa points in January online. Typically the points are not actually applied until closer to the sail date (3 weeks prior for mine). I used my BOA Visa to pay for the cruise, so when the points were applied, the amount was credited back to my Visa.

The $$ amount you receive is based upon the price of a minimum available ocean view stateroom at the time the points are applied (not when you redeem them). The maximum value is $1250. Whatever amount you receive comes off the price of the 2nd person's cruise fare, regardless of stateroom category.

I was very fortunate on this one - my Boardwalk balcony ended up costing me $6.61 total (cruise & tax). First I used my Emerald balcony discount, then I grabbed a price drop 2 days before final payment, and redeemed Visa points. The total when I booked was $1571.61 (cruise & tax) - $125 - $190 - $1250 = $6.61

I don't think it's common to receive the max $1250 (a fine return on 75,000 points!). This is an expensive spring break cruise, and the minimum ocean view was priced at $1259 when they applied my points. I did this in 2011 and received $950 off on that sailing. We use the card for everything possible and always pay the balance off monthly - so this costs me nada. I smile every time I whip that puppy out!

Yes - I made the reservation with RCCL last September, then redeemed the Visa points in January online. Typically the points are not actually applied until closer to the sail date (3 weeks prior for mine). I used my BOA Visa to pay for the cruise, so when the points were applied, the amount was credited back to my Visa.

The $$ amount you receive is based upon the price of a minimum available ocean view stateroom at the time the points are applied (not when you redeem them). The maximum value is $1250. Whatever amount you receive comes off the price of the 2nd person's cruise fare, regardless of stateroom category.

I was very fortunate on this one - my Boardwalk balcony ended up costing me $6.61 total (cruise & tax). First I used my Emerald balcony discount, then I grabbed a price drop 2 days before final payment, and redeemed Visa points. The total when I booked was $1571.61 (cruise & tax) - $125 - $190 - $1250 = $6.61

I don't think it's common to receive the max $1250 (a fine return on 75,000 points!). This is an expensive spring break cruise, and the minimum ocean view was priced at $1259 when they applied my points. I did this in 2011 and received $950 off on that sailing. We use the card for everything possible and always pay the balance off monthly - so this costs me nada. I smile every time I whip that puppy out!

Wow that is great...I was wondering if you could add those discounts when you booked it ...also if you can use a next cruise certificate when you book it.

we too have cashed in for free full cruises. Don't think I'll every do on board credit or $ off. Takes away from the game of it all. I smile too when using and payoff balance each month. This upcoming September on Oasis, they have given us the amount of the credit as of the date that we cashed in and they verify that amount of what will apply. $1,989-not full value but we'll take it cause the Junior suite had a 55 old discount and C & A balancy discount-Smile baby Smile.

Actually, no more coupons- it's all done on-line now, and then they email you a confirmation of your points redeemed.
Main points: Don't wait 'til the last minute, bring your paperwork along with you on the cruise. Still valid.

hi i applied for the rccl card a week or so before my cruise on monarch. we just got off monarch on monday, when i got home i recieved the card in the mail. i activated it lastnite thinking about using it to make a payment for our cruise on liberty in nov. so how many points do u get if u use it for rccl? are they double points then

has anyone ever used it for other stuff like to pay a bill like phone bill stuff like that

hi i applied for the rccl card a week or so before my cruise on monarch. we just got off monarch on monday, when i got home i recieved the card in the mail. i activated it lastnite thinking about using it to make a payment for our cruise on liberty in nov. so how many points do u get if u use it for rccl? are they double points then

has anyone ever used it for other stuff like to pay a bill like phone bill stuff like that

Hi Tara,

You get 2 points for every dollar spent on Royal stuff, like cruises, SeaPass bill, excursions, and Choice Air. You get 1 point for all other charges.

Archived