Euro Exchange

You will only need Euros (or other local currency if outside the Eurozone) off the ship. Onboard, everything is in dollars.

Your best exchange rate will be from a local ATM in the country you're visiting. Make sure your ATM card is setup for international use (inform your bank you're going) and also make sure you understand any transaction fees / etc that may be charged.

Some US banks can provide foreign currency, if you order in advance. The exchange rate is far better than what you'd get at the foreign exchange desk at the airport. This might be a way to get a little currency for use before you find an ATM.

On a TA, you don't have many ports, so I wouldn't think much local currency would be required.

There are no good exchange rates in the US. I will get some from my local Wells Fargo branch - you can go the the website of any bank and somewhere find their daily exchange rate. They will have a calculator to figure how many you get for your money. My first stop on my TA is Ponta Delgada, Azores, and I will get more there from an ATM. Since we will terminate that cruise in Harwich, and I will need pounds to pay for the transfer to London, I will get some GBP, too.

This is what it looks like on Wells Fargo:

https://www.foreignexchangeservices.com/FES/paint.html?focusid=CalculatedCostLabel

EM

I always use the ATM method. You get the interbank rate for the day which is MUCH better than the exchange stores or banks. Just make sure you know what your bank will charge you to use your card at a foreign ATM. Some foreign ATMs also have a fee that they will disclose when you put in your card. We have always managed to find foreign ATMs that do not impose a charge to recieve local currency. Happy sailing

We plan to use the ATM method as well to get Euros when we arrive in Rome, but I had a related question: Is there a "best" way to change euros back to dollars when coming back?

If you are planning another trip, I would keep them. Hopefully you will not have too many Euros after your trip, we always try to spend what we take out of the ATM. If you do have paper currency, I would suggest your bank. No one in the states will convert the coin back to US $

We plan to use the ATM method as well to get Euros when we arrive in Rome, but I had a related question: Is there a "best" way to change euros back to dollars when coming back?

Just pace yourself and use your credit card for most purchases/restaurants. If you have a few Euro left over, save it for your next trip. If you try to change it back into Dollars at an exchange kiosk, you will take a real beating.

There are no good exchange rates in the US. I will get some from my local Wells Fargo branch - you can go the the website of any bank and somewhere find their daily exchange rate. They will have a calculator to figure how many you get for your money. My first stop on my TA is Ponta Delgada, Azores, and I will get more there from an ATM. Since we will terminate that cruise in Harwich, and I will need pounds to pay for the transfer to London, I will get some GBP, too.

This is what it looks like on Wells Fargo:

https://www.foreignexchangeservices.com/FES/paint.html?focusid=CalculatedCostLabel

EM

I wouldn't get any Euro before you leave. There's an ATM in the Ponta Delgada cruise terminal, or several banks across the street from the terminal. You'll get the best exchange rate that way.

we took euros out of the atms when off the ship, tried to use credit card for most purchases, cash/euros for food and small items. towards the end of our trip we tried to clear out the euros, any left we gave to our room attendant/food server as an extra tip - also on the flight home, the airlines collect any coins or monies for charity - good way to get rid of anything you don't want.

Bring a coin purse. The smallest Eurobill is e5. Cashiers (and the people behind you) do not mind when you are fumbling for the correct change.

Also the clerks love small bills.

In Rome had an issue using an e50 bill in a busy neighborhood supermarket. It was like an 'I Love Lucy' episode for me to get around e35 in change.

ordered on-line and it is fed exed to you for free if your order is 1000USD r more....

Rate of course is better than airports, ship.

We were on 12 day Med and only paid cash and did not use ATM or

credit card once!

Bernadette

• 2 weeks later...

I always exchange before I go but that is from GBP to euros - my son on the other hand takes cash in our currency to europe and exchanges cash at their banks or at an exchange place. He won't use the ATM as hes worried it will swallow his card

Archived