Getaway Fare - post here how close to sailing allocated cabin no.

JM-1972

Okay I think I understand Getaway a bit better now. We did our first 2 nighter on Azura last month and paid a vantage fare (price wise I thought it wasn't bad) and therefore we specified our cabin and dinner arrangements. So With gateway fares I think it is a case of. you pay less but take your chances!

Spot on you have a clear choice.

Gan Canny

Dai

My guess is tomorrow. Check your cruise personaliser late morning.

Good luck

Sue

Thanks for that Sue - I'll keep checking! Will the only indication be that my luggage labels will show the cabin number? I'm new to P&O so the whole cabin allocation/upgrade issues are a bit of a mystery but I'm reading all the posts and trying hard to get a handle on it all!

Can I ask did you get the gty you booked or was it changed at all?

We have the same category of cabin but on a higher deck and midships. As I said before, I'm new to P&O so I'm not quite sure how all this works but I think that represents a reasonable up-grade on where we might have been allocated a cabin.

We did book a Getaway a couple of months ago and the prices have gone down a great deal since then so I am assuming those who booked the same grade of cabin later than us at a much lower cost will be given the cabins where we thought we might be and we've been shuffled along to a better location. Or is that too simplistic? :confused:

Kruzseeka,

Well done on you mid ships cabin. I think you may be right how the cabins are allocated. We got a top grade balcony cabin mid ships and although we booked after the getaway had dropped twice it went down again after we booked.

Have a great cruise.

Sue

Finally got ours for our June 4th sailing - i.e. leaving in 13 days time.

The grade we have been allocated is now showing as sold out on the website (Vantage - it was never available on Getaway) - whereas the Getaway grade we booked is still available.

We officially got an upgrade (from fore/aft balcony to mid balcony) but given its right above the lifeboats I'm not sure I'd consider it one :p

(I would prefer to be able to look down & see the sea but at least its not D95 which can also be overlooked by the scenic lift :eek: )

Its also opposite the launderette :eek:

OH is going to love that as he tries to sleep in:D

(I might get him down to breakfast yet :))

Can start planning properly now :D

We have the same category of cabin but on a higher deck and midships. As I said before, I'm new to P&O so I'm not quite sure how all this works but I think that represents a reasonable up-grade on where we might have been allocated a cabin.

We did book a Getaway a couple of months ago and the prices have gone down a great deal since then so I am assuming those who booked the same grade of cabin later than us at a much lower cost will be given the cabins where we thought we might be and we've been shuffled along to a better location. Or is that too simplistic? :confused:

That sounds good to me, and I like the way you think it works, not too simple at all.

Just noticed on our cruise personliser that our cabin has been allocated - top category of inside. We booked our getaway price on wednesday 22nd May for mini cruise on 7th June and it was the last available inside. Was told only 1 outside left on entire ship so obviously all cabins must have gone now.

This is just a thought, but is it not possible that P & O may base upgrades on previous passenger loyalty rather than whether you booked vantage or getaway. For instance a getaway cruiser who is in the Caribbean tier may get priority over a vantage cruiser in the Pacific tier.

Booked yesterday fornext week 8th June Ventura to Fjords. Paid £529 for a balcony :) (outsides were a fab £399). Cabin allocated within a few hours by email - C209 high/fwd. Checked in online today.

Very happy with cabin and exceptionally pleased with the deal.

We have just returned last week (22nd May) from 14 nights on Arcadia to the Baltic. Great cruise, but got stung by Vantage fares :eek:, which dropped last minute by over £1,000 each - ouch. This is getting some of our money back :D. Who will ever buy a Vantage fare again? - not me for sure. Who is the P&O marketing boss who came up with this mad con trick? Big mistake - everyone will of course go Getaway now.

This is just a thought, but is it not possible that P & O may base upgrades on previous passenger loyalty rather than whether you booked vantage or getaway. For instance a getaway cruiser who is in the Caribbean tier may get priority over a vantage cruiser in the Pacific tier.

A good and kind thought, unlikely however as P&O have a history of trying to attract new customers and leaving the old codgers like me alone as we are hooked already.

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

A good and kind thought, unlikely however as P&O have a history of trying to attract new customers and leaving the old codgers like me alone as we are hooked already.

Gan Canny

Dai

You're probably right. We have never had an upgrade but I always assumed the ship was either full or upgrades were being issued to "more deserving causes."

However, this would surely be one of the fairest ways to give upgrades and would also explain why people like Scriv had recently missed out.

Sorry this is off topic but do P & O have a set policy or is it completely random?

You're probably right. We have never had an upgrade but I always assumed the ship was either full or upgrades were being issued to "more deserving causes."

However, this would surely be one of the fairest ways to give upgrades and would also explain why people like Scriv had recently missed out.

Sorry this is off topic but do P & O have a set policy or is it completely random?

You realise that most of the upgrades are not actually what they seem. People have booked getaway on a guarantee basis. They get the lowest grade of cabin they have booked, inside, outside balcony etc and then are slotted in to the cabins not sold which may be only 5% of the total cabins. The exact figure of course you would never find out.

BTW can I volunteer to be a deserving case:)

Gan Canny

Dai

Archived