Getaway Fare - post here how close to sailing allocated cabin no.

JM-1972

Hello.

We booked just last week (Getaway ) for Arcadia going to Fjords and North cape on May 22nd. Cabin allocation today on the "cruise personaliser". We have exactly what we booked and in a midships position so we are happy.

Shirpa

Well, I booked over a year before my recent cruise and even before the brochure came out. We booked a guaranteed inside cabin because it was all we could afford and opted for automatic upgrade. Got free parking and choice of sitting and table.

On board we realised we were in the minority who had paid a brochure price. Late bookers had amazing price slashed deals,just a fraction of what we had paid plus great outside cabins,even with balconies, and were then boasting of being upgraded further and changed to the desired sitting with no problem. Also heard tell of lots of extra OBC's for them as well!!

For us early bookers - zilch. Lesson learnt - getaway fares next time!

Not happy.

Hi everyone

We sail on the Oceana On May 31st and got our cabin today, didn't get an email just looked on the cruise personaliser. We had a getway mini suite, I emailed and requested an aft one if possible (only 6 at back) and got the cabin I wanted, well chuffed :D:D:D

Hi everyone

We sail on the Oceana On May 31st and got our cabin today, didn't get an email just looked on the cruise personaliser. We had a getway mini suite, I emailed and requested an aft one if possible (only 6 at back) and got the cabin I wanted, well chuffed :D:D:D

Well done, who did you email with your request?

Scriv - Don't always believe what people say when they're talking about money. I'm sure some people like to tell others what a fantastic deal they got, just a bit of 'one up man ship'. I personally would change the subject, especially at the meal table, if someone asked me what I paid for my holiday. I would consider it quite crude to discuss money with someone I'd only just met. To me, asking someone what they had paid is no different to asking 'How much did you pay for your house?'. We are all different, some have several cruises a year, perhaps in an inside cabin and try to keep spending to a minimum. Others may cruise once every few years, but choose to have a suite. We are all different and make our choices for different reasons. If anyone asks me next month, whilst I'm on my cruise, what I paid for my holiday, I will just say 'How much do you earn a year?'. I only discuss money with very close friends or very close family.

Exactly and my sentiments too.

We didn't ever tell anyone what we had paid, but it was impossible to avoid hearing the last minuters who were so delighted with their bargains.

And I really don't blame them for being delighted and I don't begrudge them at all, but it would have been nice if we could have had just maybe an offer of an upgrade, even at a cost.

Unfortunately it is human nature to boast about a bargain you may have received, be it a holiday or something in the sales. I am sure we are all guilty of this :)

I'm sure Scriv did not ask about prices but had no choice but to listen to the braggers.

I was curious about Vantage fares and upgrades so thought I would see what would happen if I asked to upgrade. Our cruise departs in 4 weeks so they will be allocating the Getaways shortly. I checked first and they had plenty of 4 berth deluxe cabins still available. They are now on sale for the same price we paid for our standard balcony. On phoning P&O we were told that yes we could upgrade at the cost of £350 per adult and £120 per child. I was not expecting a free upgrade but surely say, £50 each would have been adequate. Bearing in mind that, even if they sell the deluxe cabins now, they will only be getting the same from the Getway as we paid for our cabin anyway. In fact it will be less as we also paid 2 child fares.

Don't get me wrong I am really looking forward to my holiday and will thoroughly enjoy it, but I certainly think P&O need to have a rethink on their policys.

Scriv, I reiterate everything everyone has said on here but would just add that those who have taken advantage of Getaway fares (and I am one of them) do not get any OBCs whatsoever. What you get is the chance of a cabin at a good price, no other extras, so you pays your money and takes your choice, i.e. whatever P&O allocate. I think we all learn the more we cruise and also the more we read these boards picking up tips from other cruisers, but its a very hard lesson you have learned and I do feel for you very much indeed.

We are now looking at another cruise and, having paid one Getaway price only to find even that dropped by another £500 a little later, will now wait a bit longer before grabbing the first Getaway fare advertised. P&O really do need to do something before they either lose their valued regulars or before they go broke! :eek:

Scriv - I wouldn't of suggested for one minute , by what you said, that you had asked anyone about the price then paid for their cruise. But for others to be bragging about their costs is, to me, distasteful. Yes, I may say to a friend or family that we have a real bargain and are going on a late book holiday, but I certainly don't want others to know what I paid. No benefit will ever come of people discussing money with someone they don't know. It could lead to an awkward situation or resentment.

I don't even intend to tell anyone whether I booked from the brochure or whether I booked a getaway. I won't ask others on the cruise either, because I don't care. Good luck to them if they got a bargain and the same to those who paid more, but got their choice of cabin, some nice OBC, 1st choice of dining and will be having an equally enjoyable time.

I think what got me the most was that the people we heard were even higher upgraded when checking in and actually did receive these extra extras I mentioned when they checked in or very shortly before they boarded.

And although we had registered over a year ago for an automatic upgrade from an inside cabin, we were not offered one and another passenger in the same boat - pun not intended, lol - asked and was told she was not eligible.

It's this that rankles, not sour grapes that others have got a better deal at the last minute, which as I have said, I don't begrudge at all.

That is the thing that is wrong. If you book a late deal, you should not get a upgrade should someone have pay the full price and been waiting to see if they have an upgrade. I think it is P&O being lazy. It is easier to give late bookers the left over cabins, whatever grade they are, rather than upgrade people who have previously had a cabin allocation. Perhaps P&O should seek to change this, although I feel that they won't because they are making some of their client base happy but giving them an upgrade after paying a very cheap price. Very unfair, but I don't think it will change much in the near future.:confused:

and this is what is so unfair about it. If I had waited, instead of booking over a year ahead, I would be in a nice balcony instead of my inside cabin.:rolleyes:

Or not on the cruise at all as we would not be on ours in September as the grade of cabins we want have been sold out for a long time.

If you meet someone who tells you they have paid very little for a cabin then ask them what it was and undercut it by a hundred or so and tell them they have been done. Then walk away.

Gan Cany

Dai

:cool:

Or not on the cruise at all as we would not be on ours in September as the grade of cabins we want have been sold out for a long time.

If you meet someone who tells you they have paid very little for a cabin then ask them what it was and undercut it by a hundred or so and tell them they have been done. Then walk away.

Gan Cany

Dai

:cool:

haha, good one;)

Good news. Got our cabin allocation today. Highest grade balcony cabin mid ships B deck.

3 berth cabin even though only 2 of us booked.

2 weeks today we will be on board unpacked and happy having enjoyed the free drinks in the peninsular club lounge.

Sue

Good news. Got our cabin allocation today. Highest grade balcony cabin mid ships B deck.

3 berth cabin even though only 2 of us booked.

2 weeks today we will be on board unpacked and happy having enjoyed the free drinks in the peninsular club lounge.

Sue

How were you informed - email, CP or from your TA?

Whereas I am genuinely pleased for you, Sue, please have a thought for those like me when you are on your cruise and don't boast about it too much in front of those left in an inside cabin without any OBC 'cos they booked early. I feel sick. I really do not want to consider a P and O cruise ever again.

Archived