Getaway Fare - post here how close to sailing allocated cabin no.

JM-1972

You realise that most of the upgrades are not actually what they seem. People have booked getaway on a guarantee basis. They get the lowest grade of cabin they have booked, inside, outside balcony etc and then are slotted in to the cabins not sold which may be only 5% of the total cabins. The exact figure of course you would never find out.

BTW can I volunteer to be a deserving case:)

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

Yes, I do realise that but I have now read a few posts insinuating that people were being upgraded from inside to outside/balcony.

You can certainly volunteer to be a deserving cause as long as you get in line behind me.:)

This is just a thought, but is it not possible that P & O may base upgrades on previous passenger loyalty rather than whether you booked vantage or getaway. For instance a getaway cruiser who is in the Caribbean tier may get priority over a vantage cruiser in the Pacific tier.

When asked, the CEO's PA told me it is based on ....................when booked, amount paid and loyalty!!

So, we'll see in five weeks. For July on Arcadia, I booked an EC Guarantee 'deluxe' balcony so that would be at either end and not in the middle. We paid £1639, now £899 (OUCH!!!), and this will be only our second, and probably last, cruise with P&O after their deplorable customer service on the Azura last year, including management on the ship and on shore, and we are giving them another chance.

We'll see what the 'beloved' computer comes up with.......................

Yes, I do realise that but I have now read a few posts insinuating that people were being upgraded from inside to outside/balcony.

You can certainly volunteer to be a deserving cause as long as you get in line behind me.:)

Have to agree with Dai on this one. The majority of upgrades are for the same type of cabin just in a " better " position on the ship. So you may go up a deck or 2 or go from forward / aft to midships. But to move from inside to outside / balcony, whilst not unheard of, is pretty rare.

This year in particular, it will be far easier logistically, for P&O to just slot the Getaways into any available cabin, rather than it would be to rearrange the Vantage passengers then allocate the Getaways.

There have been a few comments on other forums and facebook that some Vantage passengers have had an upgrade but judging by the outraged comments of these passengers, I don't think P&O will be bothering again :).

I suppose that, in theory, part of the Vantage package was to be able to book the cabin that you wanted. Perhaps P&O are of the opinion that the majority of Vantage passengers are exactly where they wanted to be on board.

In theory tillybilly321, the cabin of choice is booked with vantage, but often it's a case of choosing from what is available, with the request of a free upgrade should this become available. Has anyone ever heard of an upgrade under these requests?

We are going on the Aurora World 2014, and booking well in advance were not able to get our real preference, so this " perk" is to us a non advantage and not really worth anything.

As I said before we did much better on a getaway to USA and Canada.

Yes, an upgrade is not always beneficial to everyone.

Whereas I would have loved an upgrade from an inside cabin to a window/port hole last time, I would not want one on my next cruise where I have booked a particular cabin especially because of its location in a very quiet and very stable part of the ship and ideal for my OH who has difficulty sleeping.

I have already booked this and have been taken out of the 'Upgrade pool'.

When asked, the CEO's PA told me it is based on ....................when booked, amount paid and loyalty!!

So, we'll see in five weeks. For July on Arcadia, I booked an EC Guarantee 'deluxe' balcony so that would be at either end and not in the middle. We paid £1639, now £899 (OUCH!!!), and this will be only our second, and probably last, cruise with P&O after their deplorable customer service on the Azura last year, including management on the ship and on shore, and we are giving them another chance.

We'll see what the 'beloved' computer comes up with.......................

Thanks for that info. Interesting, and seems fair enough if true.

July will be our 10th P&O cruse and have yet to receive any upgrade. :(

To get back on topic, last week we booked a getaway fare for Arcadia on July 21st. I will post when we are allocated.

I messaged P&O on their face book page and this is the message I got back

As a general rule, all guaranteed cabins should be allocated by 3 days prior to departure at the latest. There are some circumstances, however, when this is not possible.

You will be allocated a cabin that may be anywhere on the ship, but at least at the grade you have booked at. It is not possible to request a specific cabin if you are booked on a guarantee basis.

Passengers who are booked into a guaranteed cabin will receive generic luggage labels prior to embarkation if a cabin has not been allocated before tickets/luggage labels etc are sent.

At check in, unless you have been notified before hand, you will be advised of your cabin. We will be aware of which cabin you will have been allocated and therefore your luggage will be delivered to your cabin.

I messaged P&O on their face book page and this is the message I got back

As a general rule, all guaranteed cabins should be allocated by 3 days prior to departure at the latest. There are some circumstances, however, when this is not possible.

You will be allocated a cabin that may be anywhere on the ship, but at least at the grade you have booked at. It is not possible to request a specific cabin if you are booked on a guarantee basis.

Passengers who are booked into a guaranteed cabin will receive generic luggage labels prior to embarkation if a cabin has not been allocated before tickets/luggage labels etc are sent.

At check in, unless you have been notified before hand, you will be advised of your cabin. We will be aware of which cabin you will have been allocated and therefore your luggage will be delivered to your cabin.

Sounds like a standard four star hotel :)

We sail on Azura three weeks on Tuesday, cabin allocated on Friday, L222 should be nice sailing into Venice, can't wait!!:)

Sylvia

We're on the same cruise and also received our cabin allocation on Friday - A522.

Gill

Do you get an email informing you of the allocation or do I just keep checking my cruise planner, I don't go until 14th July so not expecting to hear yet I was just wondering ?

Janis

It was on cruise personaliser I havnt had an email

Sent using Cruise Critic forums

App

We sail on the 7th July too, on Arcadia, and still have to be allocated a stateroom - maybe tomorrow just 14 days out from departure...............

I recognise your handle from our liberty TA roll call. Enjoy your July cruise and see you in October :)

App

It was on cruise personaliser I havnt had an email

App

We are on the Oriana 7th July, received our cabin allocation yesterday, - A deck forward - also very pleased seems a good spot. We did receive an email. Then found it on our cruise personaliser.

Archived