Getaway Fare - post here how close to sailing allocated cabin no.

JM-1972

P and O as well as other cruise lines need late availability customers to mop up their excess cabins.

I understand the need to offer incentives to those early bookers as they form the backbone of their business and there is nothing more disconcerting for an early booker to see their cruise being sold for half of what hey have paid.

I am nevertheless confused as to why P and O need to embark on seemingly to punish those late bookers. Making them pay for shuttle buses is IMO, rather petty and is unlikely to result in late bookers opting for a Vantage fare instead. I also note that under the T & Cs in the 2014 brochure it states that Getaway passengers 'MAY' be charged for shuttle bus services. It is anybody's guess what this will entail.

As far as dining options are concerned, a late booker is aware that they will have to accept what is available. Why they can't be told what is left when they book makes little sense as it will not impact upon those who have already booked.

Giving extra benefits to early bookers is a much more positive marketing strategy than penalising those late bookers.

where do u get these cruise countdown clocks on your posts??

there is a tool at the top blue bar of this forum "count down clocks"

that gives you a link to use in your signature, so then go an edit the signature so it shows up there.

In respect to the choice of dining times and rooms for getaway fares, its fare enough to just not allocate rooms and dinner times until the last minute, so people who want to pick can do as they pay for that priveledge.

I really am not fussed on the room we get, its not like we have any choice in a regular hotel either, sometimes you get a nice view from the top floor, other times you face the back of the kitchen bins.

The shuttles seem to be cheap anyway, and I've not even seen any reference to them on the cruise i am going on, so not all cruises get them anyway.

With regards to Getaway cabin allocation. I booked a getaway fare for a mini-cruise on Azura last year and received a cabin allocation 2 grades higher than booked about 10 weeks prior to sailing.

On the wider Getaway vs Vantage argument. Certain cruises on certain dates will make me want to book well in advance to guarantee the cabin I want in a good location on the ship such as when I cruise on Arcadia next year. For other cruises if the deal is right and the time is right then I'll go Getaway and take my chances

shanks

With regards to Getaway cabin allocation. I booked a getaway fare for a mini-cruise on Azura last year and received a cabin allocation 2 grades higher than booked about 10 weeks prior to sailing.

On the wider Getaway vs Vantage argument. Certain cruises on certain dates will make me want to book well in advance to guarantee the cabin I want in a good location on the ship such as when I cruise on Arcadia next year. For other cruises if the deal is right and the time is right then I'll go Getaway and take my chances

shanks

I totally agree. Going on a Getaway to the fjords shortly as an "extra" but for my main holiday to the Caribbean or wherever I want to know where my balcony cabin is and get my dining preference. If I need to pay for that pleasure, so be it.

is it right that if your on a getaway deal, that the shuttle buses arent free?

Having just booked a getaway on 27th April, to fjords and Norway I sure hope you do get free shuttle bus. I am mobility challenged so as a first time cruiser, I am getting worried. On another note we had our cabins booked as a balcony, travel agent tells me midship on c deck is a great cabin. Happy sailing

Having just booked a getaway on 27th April, to fjords and Norway I sure hope you do get free shuttle bus. I am mobility challenged so as a first time cruiser, I am getting worried. On another note we had our cabins booked as a balcony, travel agent tells me midship on c deck is a great cabin. Happy sailing

I think you'll get your shuttle bus for free this month, it's next year that you will probably have to pay on a Getaway.

To get back to the OP's subject, we received our e-ticket and luggage labels today, but still don't know what cabin we're going to get. As we booked a Getaway fare for a balcony, does that automatically mean that they don't tell us where we shall be until we board the ship? :confused:

We had been looking forward to knowing where we'd be, but no such luck :(

To get back to the OP's subject, we received our e-ticket and luggage labels today, but still don't know what cabin we're going to get. As we booked a Getaway fare for a balcony, does that automatically mean that they don't tell us where we shall be until we board the ship? :confused:

We had been looking forward to knowing where we'd be, but no such luck :(

I wouldn't print the tickets and luggage labels until a few days before you are due to go. We did a getaway with Cunard last year and printed the tickets and luggage labels and had to re-print when the cabin was allocated a week before we went.

Will we be advised by email of our cabin number or should we constantly check on Cruise Personaliser? :confused:

Check ur Cruise Personaliser thats how I knew. Dont print ur luggage labels until last minute and it will be on there. Dont worry its all good and u will have a fantastic time!!! Soooooooooooooooo wish I was going again. Shuttle buses are free too for Getaway fares x:)

We're on X308 leaving two weeks today (better think about packing!) and had cabin allocation yesterday. Pleased with allocation. We booked an outside and hoped we wouldn't get the lifeboat view or a porthole but have a mid outside with a window. Happy with that for what we paid.

We still have 6 weeks before we cruise so I guess that means another 4 weeks before cabin is allocated. Today we rec'd the holiday information brochure. This was a lovely surprise as in the past when we have booked a getaway deal we have not rec'd one.

Thank you P & O.

Sue

Archived