Alcohol now being destroyed

antsp

I wonder how the dining room staff will handle corkage for someone who has already paid the $15 corkage for an extra bottle of wine to have in their cabin and who then decides to take it to the dining room.

When the corkage is paid, there will be a Princess emblem stamped onto the bottle label.

I wonder how the dining room staff will handle corkage for someone who has already paid the $15 corkage for an extra bottle of wine to have in their cabin and who then decides to take it to the dining room.

No second corkage fee

There is no comparison as the drinks are watered down. :rolleyes:

Exactly! My biggest gripe on the Carribean Princess last Nov. was the very noticible lack of alcohol in all my drinks. Give us our money's worth at least!

Tony

IMO this policy is probably the aftermath of the death of a college student from alcohol poisoning. I think Princess probably has weighed that fact that the odds of young person guzzling a bottle of Merlot is pretty slim & even if they did, they most likely would just get ill, but not die.

If this new policy saves the life of one young person, to me it's a small sacrifice to pay.

I decided several years ago that the hassle of bringing contraband liquor onboard was offset by buying a couple of bottles on line to have in our room. What did tick me off was returning from a 2010 cruise, and going to our local liquor store to check out wine prices of wines that were in my wine package. I was charged $28 a bottle for wines that were $7 in the liquor store. I understand the cost of storage, etc, but seriously, 400%? If I am sailing from a port where wine is reasonably priced, I will gladly pay the $15 corkage, and still come out well ahead of what Princess would charge me for a wine package.

Royal Caribbean emailed me an offer that for $700.00 you can have all the beer,WINE,anything you want,but if I book with them now ,I can have that for NO cost....all the wine,beer,all drinks....FREE.....great promotion and look at the crap Princess is throwing at us!!:confused:

Royal Caribbean emailed me an offer that for $700.00 you can have all the beer,WINE,anything you want,but if I book with them now ,I can have that for NO cost....all the wine,beer,all drinks....FREE.....great promotion and look at the crap Princess is throwing at us!!:confused:

So cancel and go book with Royal Caribbean. It's not like Princess is holding you prisoner. If you're unhappy because you feel Princess is mistreating you, then you should take your business elsewhere.

So cancel and go book with Royal Caribbean. It's not like Princess is holding you prisoner. If you're unhappy because you feel Princess is mistreating you, then you should take your business elsewhere.

Didn't say they were mistreating me or I wouldn't have taken 16 cruises with them and only one RCL.Just saying that they are offering a great deal,especially when everyone seems so worked up about bringing wine on board,corkage fees,etc( I don't drink wine)that there are other options.I really don't care if they restrict any of it. I can afford whatever they charge.It doesn't matter. Do like a bargain though,like anyone.You have a nice night.:rolleyes:

What ever happened to taking a vacation to see new places and meet new people? If you don't like the rules of the road then take another route. It's that simple. Believe me complaining about this will not change a thing since I would guess that most of Princess' customers are light drinkers at best, at least from what I saw on my trips with them. If you owned a bar would you allow people to bring their own alcohol in? I think not. Talk about over priced drinks, go to a ball game or a concert. Granted, there seems to be a lot of miscommunication about this issue but the bottom line is in the Princess bottom line. Enough already...Move On...Happy Easter..

IMO this policy is probably the aftermath of the death of a college student from alcohol poisoning. I think Princess probably has weighed that fact that the odds of young person guzzling a bottle of Merlot is pretty slim & even if they did, they most likely would just get ill, but not die.

If this new policy saves the life of one young person, to me it's a small sacrifice to pay.

I am sure this will make a difference in stopping drinking to excess by college students.

What ever happened to taking a vacation to see new places and meet new people? If you don't like the rules of the road then take another route. It's that simple. Believe me complaining about this will not change a thing since I would guess that most of Princess' customers are light drinkers at best, at least from what I saw on my trips with them. If you owned a bar would you allow people to bring their own alcohol in? I think not. Talk about over priced drinks, go to a ball game or a concert. Granted, there seems to be a lot of miscommunication about this issue but the bottom line is in the Princess bottom line. Enough already...Move On...Happy Easter..

Good point!

Perhaps those who eagerly spout that if you don’t like these turns of events then move on to another company have not acquired the passenger classification of those who are, for example, Elite. Those long-term passengers who have given Princess a small fortune in custom. The perks received for the status have been well earned plus, as possible shareholders, are recipients of additional benefits. So for them walking away from the line has financial consequences. And should those who bark on actually be shareholders, they certainly aren’t doing themselves or the company any favors by doing so.

Fully enforcing a relaxed and seldom-applied rule regarding alcohol constitutes a total change in company policy and without a full and open disclosure of this has had and will continue to have consequences. And this rule as interpreted and applied by this “petty” officer who’s actions were described by the OP even more so.

Fully enforcing a relaxed and seldom-applied rule regarding alcohol constitutes a total change in company policy and without a full and open disclosure of this has had and will continue to have consequences.

If one prints a boarding pass, or luggage tag, the disclosure

would be obvious to most.

Many won't like it, but it is really, really hard to miss.

Certainly anyone who has posted to this thread is aware of the

change.

I am sure this will make a difference in stopping drinking to excess by college students.

Forgot to add.

Thinking like this is why lawmaker feel that we can not have "nice things". Think large sodas, normal light bulbs, and certain firearms. Sorry, but if a kid that is "smart enough to get into college" drinks himself to death, he needs to be allowed to go the way of the slowest gazelle.

This policy came about because of money and not some student that was allowed to venture out unsupervised into the real world.

If one prints a boarding pass, or luggage tag, the disclosure would be obvious to most.

Many won't like it, but it is really, really hard to miss.

Certainly anyone who has posted to this thread is aware of the

change.

Obvious to "most" but not all. Disclosure should be that every passenger be so advised, preferably without resorting to small print when such a change is being made. And what of those who but read this site and do not post, Cruise Critic is a source of passenger information dissemination and should not be relied upon to get the cruise companies' message out.

Obvious to "most" but not all. Disclosure should be that every passenger be so advised, preferably without resorting to small print when such a change is being made. And what of those who but read this site and do not post, Cruise Critic is a source of passenger information dissemination and should not be relied upon to get the cruise companies' message out.

Princess could add a pop-up that you have to accept

when you try to print your boarding pass or luggage tags.

"Princess will now charge you for bringing wine on board.

Anything beyond the rules will be discarded by a belligerent

food and beverage manager who should have been

terminated long ago.

CLICK HERE TO ACCEPT"

I don't think there was any notification at all when unlimited wi-fi was dropped from suites.

A potential passenger when making a reservation to sail with Princess has neither a boarding pass nor luggage tag with which to consult. This new “rule enforcement” need be common knowledge before deciding to purchase a voyage.

As to the "belligerent" implementation of this now enforced rule, I am sure that each will find his or her own way to extract their pound of flesh without cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Thank You, Of course the drinkers are going to be on one side and non-drinkers on another. I don't drink at all but my husband likes a drink once in awhile. Being elite Princess fills our bar every cruise and every segment on a long cruise. Last year on the World cruise they filled it 5 times. We had so much we actually had a coctail party for friends we made just to get rid of it. Like everything in life there are rules and should be followed. But I do believe they should be enforced. Last year on the World cruise I saw people bringing on liquor on in port and would walk on with it in plain view while others were stopped and had it taken til the last day. My point is just that whatever the rules, they must apply to everyone. That was the only complaint I would have had. If you are on vacation save some extra money for that drink you need or want. But the rules do need to apply to everyone not just hit and miss.

Lets just get back to what cruising is all about and enjoy the sights and sounds. The beautiful Ports and meeting new and long lasting friends. Look forward to your next vacation with anticipation not sour grapes and have fun. Life is way to short to sweat the small stuff.

We have traveled all the cruise lines and Princess is our cruise line of "choice". In our opinion we look for the best itineraries and service not who has the best alcohol policies.

To the OP, you know you just got caught and you admitted it. I do believe though that Bar Manager/Officer was in the wrong if he treated you with anything less than total respect and should be reported. I'm sure Princess will look into it especially if others have crossed his path and received the same treatment. Smile people...it is more productive than a frown.

Happy Easter to all !!!! Wherver you go travel safe!

Janet

As to the "belligerent" implementation of this now enforced rule, I am sure that each will find his or her own way to extract their pound of flesh without cutting off their nose to spite their face.

This is quite sad, to think that some will seek to make others suffer because they chose to take a vacation that no longer meets their needs. If you're already booked, suck it up and enjoy your cruise. Cut out a specialty restaurant or a spa treatment or a shopping excursion. Go without liquor or wine beyond two bottles, if necessary. Then make future vacation plans that more closely meet your needs. Don't go looking to extract a pound of flesh from anyone. What a sad way to vacation.

I think Princess needs to call each and every customer, fully disclose the "new" policy (like smuggling booze was ever an acceptable practice) and make sure they repeat the policy back so there is no misunderstanding. Then, they should allow a "cooling off" period where regular smugglers can still practice their craft and finally hard-set point where they will enforce said rule.

Based on what I am reading, past that hard-set date, booking cabins should become much easier since occupancy rates should drop by at least 50%.

No more chair hogging!!! YAY !!

As I have said already

This new ruling is goiung to hit all those passengers who fly in from outside the USA

They legitimately buy Duty Free Liquor on the outward leg of their journey

They spend a few days before and after their cruise in the USA

Are they going to see their liquor poured down a drain becauae they dare to board a princess ship ?

Suely if before all this they could have the liquor stored for safe keeping till the end of their voyage why can that not be done now

Those from outside the USA need a defintive answer

There should still be creative ways around the policy. Pour the alcohol into plastic water or pop bottles instead of their original, labeled packaging.

You could also pour your liquor into a wine bottle and bring it on within the rules of the alcohol policy. I doubt they're going to open a wine bottle and check to see if it's actually wine.

If the alcohol policy becomes so restrictive that it's impossible to get around it, then you need to consider that when booking. It is a shame for people who are already booked, though.

As I have said already

This new ruling is goiung to hit all those passengers who fly in from outside the USA

They legitimately buy Duty Free Liquor on the outward leg of their journey

They spend a few days before and after their cruise in the USA

Are they going to see their liquor poured down a drain becauae they dare to board a princess ship ?

Suely if before all this they could have the liquor stored for safe keeping till the end of their voyage why can that not be done now

Those from outside the USA need a defintive answer

You will not get a definitive answer on these boards. That will have to come from Princess. Whether Princess monitors these boards is not important, they do not post official company announcements here.

Archived