Carnival Inspiration Engine Problems?

wallyboag

My sister is on the Inspiration in Ensenada today and reports that she was awoken at 5 AM by a intercom page into her room "Alpha Team - Alpha Team - Starboard Boiler Engine Room"

I'm trying to find out more information from her, but haven't had a response back. Hopefully this is a minor situation, and if not, luckily they are in port!

My sister is on the Inspiration in Ensenada today and reports that she was awoken at 5 AM by a intercom page into her room "Alpha Team - Alpha Team - Starboard Boiler Engine Room"

I'm trying to find out more information from her, but haven't had a response back. Hopefully this is a minor situation, and if not, luckily they are in port!

Boy is this jumping the gun.

Got another message from my sister. Turns out this all happened yesterday in Ensenada and the have already left port and are on their way back to Long Beach. Must have been a minor incident and everything is now taken care of!

Alpha is one of the terms used to respond to a medical situation, sounds like an injury to a crew member in the engine room.

Got another message from my sister. Turns out this all happened yesterday in Ensenada and the have already left port and are on their way back to Long Beach. Must have been a minor incident and everything is now taken care of!

I think madthumper gave an explantation of what might have happened. You must have missed his post.

Thanks madthumper for explaining it to us who keeps forgetting what Alpha means.

They should be on their way home by now. Ensenada was on Wednesday. Inspiration is on a Monday-Friday itin.

I just came back from the cruise. A fire started in the boiler room early in the morning, and a message went out throughout the ship including in the staterooms. The captain came back on the intercom at 8 am and told us that the fire had been contained. Some people in the lower decks could smell the smoke. Thankfully it did not affect the cruise. It did wake up the entire ship rather early though!

I just came back from the cruise. A fire started in the boiler room early in the morning, and a message went out throughout the ship including in the staterooms. The captain came back on the intercom at 8 am and told us that the fire had been contained. Some people in the lower decks could smell the smoke. Thankfully it did not affect the cruise. It did wake up the entire ship rather early though!

SERIOUSLY??? Another engine fire on a Carnival ship???

I think madthumper gave an explantation of what might have happened. You must have missed his post.

Thanks madthumper for explaining it to us who keeps forgetting what Alpha means.

Except from what I've learned about ships, Alpha Team is Carnival's code for the fire squad. (That according to John Heald's blog, Smoke on the Water, part 1 entry from the Splendor incident). Bright star is the code for a medical emergency. Bright star will forever be burned into my memory from the cruise when it was called three times over an 8 day cruise.

Just because there was a fire on the ship doesn't necessarily mean that there are going to be any problems with navigation, though.

• 4 weeks later...

On Liberty last week, they called for Alpha Team main deck in the middle of the afternoon. I never heard another word about it but when we went back to our room to get ready for dinner, the green emergency lights were lighting up the hallway and doors!

IJB, I believe you said you just got back off the Inspiration? We are thinking of doing this cruise this fall. I know this is ONLY your opinion, but would you mind giving me your pros/cons of this ship, and the itinerary.

Alpha typically means medical emergency in the maritime community (Bravo = fire; Oscar = man overboard, etc.), but Carnival does have its own unique set of codes (e.g. Bright Star)... so I'm not entirely sure what Alpha means to Carnival.

I'm taking an extra weeks worth of my prescription meds next week just to be on the safe side!

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

That sounds like me. We booked our 1 week land vacation AFTER our cruise instead of before just to give us a buffer before having to return to work.

These sorts of things were never a thought prior to the last 6 months.:eek:

Archived