!!! SILHOUETTE !!! Western Caribbean- The Ultimate Review & Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

DSC02209_zpsd23d6f35.jpg

Back inside the solarium.

DSC02214_zps4d35e0a8.jpg

Our favorite spot! It had a nice view of the ocean and I could keep an eye on my equipment while I was on the tub.

DSC02218_zpsf13b734f.jpg

DSC02219_zpsb8cdbac0.jpg

DSC02221_zpsad20a899.jpg

DSC02222_zps5b583b9e.jpg

You can always find a spot with ease.

These were taken with the underwater camera while we were in the Jacuzzi

DSC00571_zpsfc81d1b1.jpg

DSC00576_zpsa750ee7d.jpg

DSC00585_zpsb499b61a.jpg

While in the solarium we noticed how the noise leaks in every time the doors open, that actually turned out to be a good thing as sometimes there was a good band playing outside and I would run out for some good tunes.

I was also worried about maybe too many kids running through that area to get to the main pool area, but that was never an issue (and remember this was a spring break cruise) most kids were aware that this was a non kid area and they were very polite about it.

A few kids during our voyage did go in the solarium but always with their parent and they were always in absolute silence. I guess they just wanted to relax as much as everyone else.

I really don't know how many hours we spent in the solarium, it was by far our favorite part of the ship. And what is even better is that every time we went we got the same lounges, it was almost like they were ours. I don't think I ever saw the solarium crowded, not even on our last day which was the only good weather one.

And that's it for this set.

Thanks Gambee - our dedication to your legion of fans is admirable!!

Jose breakfast treats sure looked tempting...I see they had my favorite almond croissants...don't recall seeing sticky buns at Cafe al Bacio before. Will "need" to try those for sure.

I didn't realize the silhouette didn't have an outside bar on the OV cafe level. I thought that was a new design on the Reflection.....you've taught me something new!!

You're very welcome glad you liked that set, I woke up a little early so why not.

Great pictures Gambee, I've gained five pounds from looking at the food pictures. ;) I appreciate the compliment and encouragement about the live review. I will do my best and hope for the best

No worries, my pleasure.

Awesome review so far.

Are the confectionary items in the Cafe al Bacio complimentary?

Thank you.

Yes they are complimentary, I never got any because they were so busy all the time.

You will just LOVE IT when you get it. We had an accessible aft on our cruise last week and OMG was all I could say when we first entered the cabin, followed by OMG OMG OMG when we actually went out on the balcony. Just AMAZING!!!

DH now has asked me, will I ever be satisfied with getting just any other cabin again???

That is the big question, not only that but we have one of the longest balcony on breakaway. I am sure we will be amazed by it :)

Thanks for taking the time to post some more of your review this morning:) Those early morning sea views (and those pastries) put me in the right mood to start out my day:p I feel so fortunate that I have that to look forward to soon.

Glad I set your day in the right way :)

I'm not gambee, but yes, they are. Only the drinks at al Bacio are a charge (but they are included in the premium packages).

Correct, thank you for verifying that for me.

I was going to say the same thing! My husband is going to call me a cougar when he reads this post.:D

Great photos of the pastries at the cafe! They made my mouth water!

I don’t think I would like to be so exposed on the aft cabins (just my preference).

It depends on the ship, on breakaway they dont appear to be as exposed. I hope that stands true once on board.

Wowza!!! This review is awesome!!! Just booked this cruise for January. Can't wait to see and read more!

Thanks for joining, hope you have a great cruise!

joining the fan club here, such a fantastic, thorough review of the ship! As you can see, we are on the Allure in June, and your review helped immensely. We had the Silhouette booked for later this year, but had to cancel. And too funny, we are thinking of the Breakaway! Can't wait to see your review on that one!

Thank you so much for your pics of the kids area. After seeing them, I think we will stay with RCCL till my daughter is older (or go on X as a couple w.o. Kids). The area looked really "meh" to me, not inviting at all.

I'm hoping you don't get too ill on Day 2. Let me tell you, if I mixed all those drinks I don't think I'd be able to get out of bed in the morning!

I did not get that ill, but it was enough to send me to bed early. Thanks for posting Bella, I am glad that the kids club pictures helped you solidify your decision. Glad to have you aboard =)

I was trying to upload a couple of photos for you to see of our balcony and I see that they did not post. Trying again. We had 2 lounge chairs, 2 Adaranda (excuse spelling please) style chairs, a coffee table, and a round table with 4 chairs to sit and enjoy breakfast.

Looks like a great balcony, I can't wait for ours :D

Thanks for all the great pictures and the detailed review! We're heading out on the Silhouette this coming Sunday and are soooo excited :)

Did you find there was enough to do on the ship? Just curious because of your previous trip on the Allure, which seemed like it had endless things to do and endless areas to check out. (I just caught up on that review the other day and had so much fun reading it. I might have to check out Allure for my next cruise)!

Thanks for all the great pictures and the detailed review! We're heading out on the Silhouette this coming Sunday and are soooo excited :)

Did you find there was enough to do on the ship? Just curious because of your previous trip on the Allure, which seemed like it had endless things to do and endless areas to check out. (I just caught up on that review the other day and had so much fun reading it. I might have to check out Allure for my next cruise)!

Enough things to do, well that really depends what you like to do. As much as the Allure, no way, no where near it. But there are other type of activities that may or may not appeal to you. I don't want to rush to conclusions, but I suggest you look at the dailies and go from there. I am sure the ones on your voyage should be very similar.

Great review Gambee!

...You have three options.

1) shoot in manual mode and expose for the main subject;

2) shoot in S, A or automatic modes and adjust your EV +1, 2 or 3 (depending upon background light intensity);

3) use your cameras built in HDR capabilities.

The 4th option might be to switch metering to "Spot Metering", if available on that camera.

The HDR approach is probably the better approach.

ken

Edited by Ken076

The 4th option might be to switch metering to "Spot Metering", if available on that camera.

The HDR approach is probably the better approach.

ken

Yeah I think I am just going to stick to the HDR one, Spot Metering is a little of a hassle.

OMG, what a great answer! I can't believe he came with that!

Thanks for the comment and following me, it is appreciated :)

Well mom, there you go.

Thank you so much, I am sure she will go get the product once she gets out work. Thank you for the detailed explanation :), I hope this works for those pants. I really love them.

Let me know if she has success.

This is the most incredible review I've ever seen! Your pictures are invaluable! People can describe things in great detail, but actually seeing a photo makes everything so much clearer.

I haven't got a trip planned on the Silhouette (yet!) but I'll certainly file this away for future reference.

Thank you sooooo much! (looking forward to the rest)

I did spot me in the middle of video, but totally missed Gambee for the entire cruise, and I kept looking for him too. My video was not working the entire cruise, so I have no idea if I sounded good or like I too many champagnes at the sail away.

You sound very good to me. :)

NancyLuvs2Cruise & I kept looking for Gambee & Mom for the entire cruise too. One evening Nancy called me over at the Martini Bar, I thought she had said "Come over and meet Gambee from our roll call!" So I greet him and start saying how much I love his photos and am so happy to meet him and thank him for taking so much time writing... and the guy looks at me :confused: He is "Lucky" from Las Vegas not Gambee; however he too is a very nice guy. :o :)

So Gambee we missed you and thought of you often at the Martini Bar. ;):D

Edited by still-learning

Let me know if she has success.

Will do, hopefully it does, I really love those pants. I am actually thinking about getting another pair :)

This is the most incredible review I've ever seen! Your pictures are invaluable! People can describe things in great detail, but actually seeing a photo makes everything so much clearer.

I haven't got a trip planned on the Silhouette (yet!) but I'll certainly file this away for future reference.

Thank you sooooo much! (looking forward to the rest)

You're very welcome, glad you're enjoying it. Thanks for joining us in our adventure.

I did spot me in the middle of video, but totally missed Gambee for the entire cruise, and I kept looking for him too. My video was not working the entire cruise, so I have no idea if I sounded good or like I too many champagnes at the sail away. /quote]

You sound very good to me. :)

NancyLuvs2Cruise & I kept looking for Gambee for the entire cruise too. One evening Nancy called me over at the Martini Bar, I thought she had said "Come over and meet Gambee from our roll call!" So I greet him and start saying how much I love his photos and am so happy to meet him and thank him for taking so much time writing... and the guy looks at me :confused: He is "Lucky" from Las Vegas not Gambee; however he too is a very nice guy. :o :)

So Gambee we missed you and thought of you often at the Martini Bar.

Now that is a funny funny story, it got a good laugh out of me. I can only imagine the Lucky's face :confused:.

Thanks for sharing that story =)

Will do, hopefully it does, I really love those pants. I am actually thinking about getting another pair :)

Gambee

Travel hint : Baby wipes are UNBELIEVABLE when getting out stains!!!!

For what it's worth, I know Oxyclean isn't supposed to bleach out anything but it did bleach out an area on a blouse of mine. If your pants aren't white I would apply it but NOT leave it on too long!

Gambee

Travel hint : Baby wipes are UNBELIEVABLE when getting out stains!!!!

For what it's worth, I know Oxyclean isn't supposed to bleach out anything but it did bleach out an area on a blouse of mine. If your pants aren't white I would apply it but NOT leave it on too long!

You know funny that you mention that, mom actually used them on my pants.

But yeah the pants are white, so I am hopping that the oxyclean works.

It's too bad you didn't get to enjoy any of the concerts on the lawn. On our January cruise they had a jazz concert at night on the lawn as we sailed away from San Juan. They laid out blankets, a small wooden table for your drinks, and these really cool little blue lights. If you purchased a glass of wine, you also got a free cheese plate. This was one of the coolest things we have ever done on any of our cruises.

However, other than the great jazz concert, I agree with you that the lawn area is pretty useless. The majority of it was roped off for our entire 7 day cruise.

Gambee, the first thing I do in the morning after signing on and checking my April 29 Roll Call is to check your thread. I'm going to have Silhouette withdrawal after our cruise and my have to go back over your photos.:) One thing I do hope is that the pastries will be available at breakfast in the Oceanview Café on this cruise. On the Millennium last year, by the time we got down to breakfast, there were NO pastries left :(.

I just went through 16 of this thread to read about the ports. Still no info on the ports. Great review, but a bit much without covering the ports.

Well, I'm sure if you continue to follow the review you will find information on the ports when gambee gets to days he was in port. Remember patience is a virtue.

Gambee, the first thing I do in the morning after signing on and checking my April 29 Roll Call is to check your thread. I'm going to have Silhouette withdrawal after our cruise and my have to go back over your photos.:) One thing I do hope is that the pastries will be available at breakfast in the Oceanview Café on this cruise. On the Millennium last year, by the time we got down to breakfast, there were NO pastries left :(.

You can always order some through room service. This way you are sure to get some. :rolleyes:

You can always order some through room service. This way you are sure to get some. :rolleyes:

We tried that once and all they brought up was a croissant not a pastry even though that is what we had requested and this was like 6:30am :(.

Another problem we had was going down to breakfast at 9:00 am (we are late risers normally) but the buffet is still supposed to be open, many stations did not have any food left and what was left at other stations was cold. Plus, most of the stations did not even have anyone manning them if you wanted to ask a question or ask for something when the bin was completely empty. I felt like Celebrity really fell down on this. I suppose if we showed up for breakfast at 7:00 everything would have been full but of course then you would have to stand in line with the crowd. The point is the buffet is open at 9:00 am for breakfast and it should be completely full of all offerings at that hour just as it is at 7:00 am. As you can see, I was not pleased with the breakfast buffet.

Edited by Tenn4ever

Well, I'm sure if you continue to follow the review you will find information on the ports when gambee gets to days he was in port. Remember patience is a virtue.

gambee's review is excellent and probably very helpful to someone that has never cruised on an S Class ship. I have been on an S class, so reading through many pages did tax my patience.

However, if gambee's review of the ports is as good as the first part, it will be worth waiting for.