New here, and I need a push

I am trying to book a last minute cruise for my family. I'm a researcher by nature, but sometimes I just can't stop. I think I'm there now.

Our little guy will be 35 months old on the cruise. So I narrowed it down to Disney, RCI, and NCL. I ruled out NCL due to the age issues. I'm hoping that RCI or Disney might let him into the kids club since he's out of diapers, but if not at least I know there are other options for him there. My sister had no problem getting her 2 year old into the program with her sisters, but I'd like to hear the experiences of others here too.

Now I'm trying to book our cabin. I think we should try RCI Oasis/Allure. Looks like we can save a good amount of cash doing the Oasis Western Carribean. It's saying that the JS is only $500 (total) more than the balcony staterooms available. This seems worth it for the bathtub for my little guy.

I've been pouring over all of your great posts in here, but figure I need to jump in here somewhere. So if anyone can give me some thoughts on any or all of the issues I've mentioned here, I'd love to hear them!

We signed up for the Oasis western carib cruise for Jan 18, 2014. Prices are quite good on that one also. Seems as thought the Oasis cruises charge more most likely demand driven. Early Jan usually has low demand. We have been on many RCL cruises but never Oasis class, we have heard from many that the ship itself is a destination. I would think your family would find it enjoyable.

Mike

Oasis is a wonderful ship.

A JS is a wonderful cabin.

If you decide against the JS, I am told some parents pack a small, inexpensive inflatable pool/tub for the little ones for bathing and playing. Depending upon the size of the family (more kids?), you might also consider two connecting cabins, if still available.

Also, Royal Caribbean runs sales every Tuesday for selected last minute cruises for new bookings only. Usually one can see the updated list via this link Thursday afternoons. So, you might consider check the list to see if a better price is coming....unless that JS price is so good you decide to jump on it:). What sail date are you considering?

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

I am trying to book a last minute cruise for my family. I'm a researcher by nature, but sometimes I just can't stop. I think I'm there now.

Our little guy will be 35 months old on the cruise. So I narrowed it down to Disney, RCI, and NCL. I ruled out NCL due to the age issues. I'm hoping that RCI or Disney might let him into the kids club since he's out of diapers, but if not at least I know there are other options for him there. My sister had no problem getting her 2 year old into the program with her sisters, but I'd like to hear the experiences of others here too.

Now I'm trying to book our cabin. I think we should try RCI Oasis/Allure. Looks like we can save a good amount of cash doing the Oasis Western Carribean. It's saying that the JS is only $500 (total) more than the balcony staterooms available. This seems worth it for the bathtub for my little guy.

I've been pouring over all of your great posts in here, but figure I need to jump in here somewhere. So if anyone can give me some thoughts on any or all of the issues I've mentioned here, I'd love to hear them!

You might try the family form here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

for question about what's available for your 35 month old. Although I suspect it might be a just ask when you get onboard and see what they say. It probably varies from ship to ship with a child on the border of the age range.

We went on Disney when our kids were younger, and we went on Allure last summer (3 boys).

Disney was a great experience; it is really magical and we saw LOTS of characters while onboard. The kids loved it.

To me, Allure is good for families, but it is more of a late-night experience. Part of the fun of Allure is seeing lots of shows, and eating at some nicer places, and that is best done without very small children.

That being said, I am sure you would have a good time on either one.

Thanks for weighing in.

I think we're going to go out on the last trip of April. I still haven't decided who or where to book through though. I read that Cruise Critic sells cruises. I'd love to support them in appreciation of all of the great resources I've found here, but I can't figure out how to purchase through them.

Plus, you would get double Crown and Anchor points with the Junior Suite as well.

Hello Hawkeye, I'm from Texas as well, born and raised. But no longer there, I grew up in Diboll, close to Lufkin and Nacogdoches, where are you from? :)

It's probably the fact that I'm not a parent, but 35 months????

A month shy of 3? Almost 3? About to turn 3? Or even 3?

Nope. 35 months.

I believe she was trying to stress the point that her son could be withheld from the kids club because he is one month away from the age 3 cut off.

Just did a quick check on the prices for the April 27 sailing. These are appx. as I rounded off.

JS $5300

Family Ocean View balcony $4800

regular D3 balcony $3800

The difference was indeed $500 but the family balcony is the same size (290 sq ft) as the JS. The real difference between a balcony and a JS is $1500. Not sure if the family balcony has a tub or not but the only other difference would be the double points. Best of luck in your decision.

Just did a quick check on the prices for the April 27 sailing. These are appx. as I rounded off.

JS $5300

Family Ocean View balcony $4800

regular D3 balcony $3800

The difference was indeed $500 but the family balcony is the same size (290 sq ft) as the JS. The real difference between a balcony and a JS is $1500. Not sure if the family balcony has a tub or not but the only other difference would be the double points. Best of luck in your decision.

There seems to be limited availability for cabins for three on the cruise.

OP, do you by chance have a grandparent or sitter who might wish to come along? You might find you could book a balcony cabin for two of you and a neighborhood balcony across the hall for other two for about the same price as a JS for three. Of course, airfare might be an issue, but I thought I'd throw out the idea. Also taking a fourth for childcare might open your options to other cruises lines...you might find a deal on some other ship for an inside plus a balcony or such.

OP- I nanny and have had a few different families cruise on both lines (both with over 3 kids with ages starting as young as your child's age and as old as 10).

From what I had gathered from them, they liked the Allure because of all the activities they could do as a family and plus they loved the kids programs available to them onboard the ship. Adventure Ocean has a program available with the My Family Time Dining where they will pick up the children from dinner and take them to the children's activities in the evening so that mom and did can enjoy the more grown up activities and offerings on board the ship. They actually loved this option as they knew the kids were having fun and being taken care of while they enjoyed their vacation.

As far as their stateroom went, they had a family suite that was an oceanview I believe...not too sure on how much it ran them [i didn't want to be rude by asking and they liked that alot. Mom and dad had their space and the kids had their spaces respectively.

When they cruised Disney, they said that the kids liked it however the parents felt like they were on character overload alot of the times and it made for their kids bedtimes to be rather difficult. But, not every child operates the same. They liked the dining offerings and the theming of the kids deck. They thought that they staterooms were good as well for what they needed to do and liked that it had the curtain to separate the room as necessary. With the food, I found that they enjoyed the kid friendly options for everyone onboard Disney. They were a bit vague on their sailing but they did mention that there was ALOT for the kids to do.

Each children's program is designed with each appropriate age bracket in mind. I didn't really say any little little ones on my Allure cruise and the family I nanny for saw a couple on their Disney sailing. None the less, its a tough decision and even they couldn't narrow down their favorite.

Hope I was able to help a little. If you have any questions, you're at the right place!

Happy Cruising!

Missy

It's probably the fact that I'm not a parent, but 35 months????

A month shy of 3? Almost 3? About to turn 3? Or even 3?

Nope. 35 months.

Yes, LOL, I am stating how close he is to 3 as I'm really hoping he can join the kids club for 3 year olds. For the record I have no idea how many weeks old he is either.

It's probably silly for me to even be concerned about all of this since we never leave him with anyone other than family here, so I may change my mind once we arrive. For some reason the group idea makes me feel better about it all.

Now I'm just struggling over where to book it through and whether it's worth shopping for the various TA perks.

Starryeyes: Yes the cabin choices are limited on some sites when I enter my little person in. I can't tell if it's the third body or the fact that it's a child that takes away a few options. It took me a bit to even realize it was happening. It's fine since I don't want the boardwalk or central park balcony anyway.

This vacation planning gig is stressful! Last night I was reading about people here stalking cruises for better prices. Is this likely to happen or do they more likely keep going up as the date gets closer. I would book a cruise for tomorrow if we didn't have appointments preventing this. We need a vacation!

Missie: Thanks for your comments. My husband was worried about the Disney overload since we were just at Disney World in the fall and although lots of fun...less relaxation than a vacation usually promises.

Ourusualbeach: The $500 difference was actually between the deluxe balcony and the JS at the time. Of course I missed it.

Yes, LOL, I am stating how close he is to 3 as I'm really hoping he can join the kids club for 3 year olds. For the record I have no idea how many weeks old he is either.

It's probably silly for me to even be concerned about all of this since we never leave him with anyone other than family here, so I may change my mind once we arrive. For some reason the group idea makes me feel better about it all.

First of all- GREAT CC name!

The kids groups n Disney are wonderful..but there are a gazillion kids in the group, as opposed to Royal Tots- I have never used Tots, but it does not seem to have the insanity level of Disney. It is GOOD insanity, mind you- but our kids never wanted to leave. One evening we couldn't even find our then 33 month , who was there with our two 57 month olds... because he fell asleep under some other kid's blankie in a corner. I would JUMP on that JS!!!

Have a great vacation!

Archived