Excursions on our own

CruisingLover

Hi

We will be on a cruise to Alaska June 30th (NCL Pearl). We have been on cruises before but have always done the cruise sponsored excursions. Because there are 5 people in my family and excursions in Alaska are so expensive :eek:, we are trying to figure out the least expensive way to book things. We will be going to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan & Victoria.

So far, we think we want to do the Mendenhall Glacier & Mt. Roberts Tram in Juneau (that's the only stop we have figured out so far). If we book it thru the cruise it would be a total of $345 for the 5 of us. However, they also have just the Mt. Roberts Tram cruise sponsored excursion that would cost us (for all 5) $135 (cheaper than the price I found online if we booked ourselves). My question here is, are there busses just waiting at the pier for people like us that would say "hey, we want to go to Mendenhall Glacier. How much do you charge?" If, for instance, they do and they only charge $8 per person (something my brother in law thought he read) that would only be $40. Add that to the $135 equalling $175 and that would allow us to do the glacier and the tram for $170 LESS than the package the cruise put together.

Has anyone done excursions on their own (and am I making any sense :o)?

Tracy

Hi

We will be on a cruise to Alaska June 30th (NCL Pearl). We have been on cruises before but have always done the cruise sponsored excursions. Because there are 5 people in my family and excursions in Alaska are so expensive :eek:, we are trying to figure out the least expensive way to book things. We will be going to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan & Victoria.

So far, we think we want to do the Mendenhall Glacier & Mt. Roberts Tram in Juneau (that's the only stop we have figured out so far). If we book it thru the cruise it would be a total of $345 for the 5 of us. However, they also have just the Mt. Roberts Tram cruise sponsored excursion that would cost us (for all 5) $135 (cheaper than the price I found online if we booked ourselves). My question here is, are there busses just waiting at the pier for people like us that would say "hey, we want to go to Mendenhall Glacier. How much do you charge?" If, for instance, they do and they only charge $8 per person (something my brother in law thought he read) that would only be $40. Add that to the $135 equalling $175 and that would allow us to do the glacier and the tram for $170 LESS than the package the cruise put together.

Has anyone done excursions on their own (and am I making any sense :o)?

Tracy

First of all, I would do a Search on this board for "Mendenhall Glacier bus" and I bet you find alot more information than I remember. From this board we learned that there are buses that run from the pier to the glacier and it was very reasonable - under $10 I think. We got the tickets in a booth just off the main pier (and the buses park there). You can take your time at the glacier and get back on one whenever you want.

As to the tram, I would not book anything now. The tram is very close to the pier and you should just get your tickets there. The reason for waiting is the weather - if there is low cloud cover (often is) you likely do not want to waste your money going up the tram. If you cannot see the top of the tram from the ground, you will not see the view the other way around!

FYI - quick web search shows Tram price of $31 for adults and $15.50 for kids (6-12). 5 and under free.

DaveOKC

There are a lot of recent posts about exactly this .. The bus to the glacier is $8 each way .. The tram is right at the port and doesn't require any reservations ... I've read it only makes sense on a clear day so booking in advance leaves you with an expenditure that may not be worth the cost. You can rent a car from Avis for around $60 for the day and get out and about more ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yes - what everyone said. And not just Juneau, but in all your ports you can do on your own and save ALOT of money from the cruise line price.

Our sailing last summer (same itinerary) I booked every port on my own. Easy to do, and a big savings. Plus you get smaller tours, set your own pace, and usually get to see more than the large cruise line tours do.

First of all, I would do a Search on this board for "Mendenhall Glacier bus" and I bet you find alot more information than I remember. From this board we learned that there are buses that run from the pier to the glacier and it was very reasonable - under $10 I think. We got the tickets in a booth just off the main pier (and the buses park there). You can take your time at the glacier and get back on one whenever you want.

As to the tram, I would not book anything now. The tram is very close to the pier and you should just get your tickets there. The reason for waiting is the weather - if there is low cloud cover (often is) you likely do not want to waste your money going up the tram. If you cannot see the top of the tram from the ground, you will not see the view the other way around!

FYI - quick web search shows Tram price of $31 for adults and $15.50 for kids (6-12). 5 and under free.

DaveOKC

Thanks Dave :) That was the price I found online too but the cruiseline only charges $27/person that's why I would probably book thru cruise. However, you make a good point of not booking it because of possible bad viewing weather. Do you know if there would be a chance of the tram running out of tickets assuming the weather is nice?

There are a lot of recent posts about exactly this .. The bus to the glacier is $8 each way .. The tram is right at the port and doesn't require any reservations ... I've read it only makes sense on a clear day so booking in advance leaves you with an expenditure that may not be worth the cost. You can rent a car from Avis for around $60 for the day and get out and about more ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I guess the $8 each way would make it $80 for the 5 of us then.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do at each of our stops?

Thanks (again)!

Tracy

Thanks Dave :) That was the price I found online too but the cruiseline only charges $27/person that's why I would probably book thru cruise. However, you make a good point of not booking it because of possible bad viewing weather. Do you know if there would be a chance of the tram running out of tickets assuming the weather is nice?

Tracy

Since it is just a tram ride, I would doubt they would ever run out of tickets. From what I understand, you go up, see the view, see amovie if you want and wander around up there. The website says to allow one hour. So, they are constantly moving people up and down, thus little capacity problems I would think.

DaveOKC

In Skagway I recommend renting a car and driving into the Yukon on you own. It is much cheaper than riding the train. And you can stop and take as many pictures as you want. The train doesn't stop.

Tracy

You may also want to look at buying a Northern Lights coupon book. I believe (you can double check online before you purchase) that there is a coupon for buy 1 get one free for the Mt. Roberts tram! So even at $31/person if you use the coupon you'll still be getting it cheaper than through the cruiseline.

In Ketchikan, you may want to consider taking the city bus to Totem Bight/Potlatch Parks. The bus is $1/person each way and the parks are free, but they do request a donation to help with maintenance. You can also walk around Creek Street (free) and shop (not so free especially if you find something you like).

Some of my ideas for inexpensive excursions:

The Alaska State Museum in Juneau is close to the cruise ships berths, and worth a visit. Check their website for admission costs. Also, I can't believe that the Mt. Roberts Tram ever runs out of tickets. The trams run continuously.

In Skagway it would be a good idea to rent a vehicle if you want to travel into the Yukon. The scenery along the road is great, and it is an easy drive. The National Park Service headquarters is also a good idea since it has great interpretative signs and information.

The Totem Heritage Center in Ketchikan is often overlooked. In the past the admission has been $5.00 per adult, and it is a great option if Ketchikan is experiencing some of its "liquid sunshine."

Hi,

There is a chat thread titled "Ketchikan on the Cheap", or something very similar. One of the posters gave a whole lot of info for several free and inexpensive things to do.

My DW and I are thinking of splurging in Skagway for an excursion that lets us stand atop a glacier. But that means one of our other stops (Juneau or Ketchikan) has to be done on the cheap.

We are thinking of renting a car for around $60 (as someone else mentioned) and then going on our own. We saw a TV show on the LiveWell Network called "Motion". They went to Ketchikan and Misty Fjords and Skagway (too I think) on a couple of different shows. In Ketchikan they went to Ward Lake and hiked around it. We will probably to the same and then check out the various other sights in town.

This cruise will work out best for you if you do a lot of research on each port. Only you know what interests your family.

In most Caribbean ports we go to a beach, tour the island with a taxi or visit a couple museums. I can decide that day what I want to do.

In Alaska you have to be more proactive. Most of the best tours/activities are booked ahead of time. [whale watch, train ride, flightseeing, etc] You may not be interested in any of those with 5 people in your group. It gets pricey.

We followed the high/low approach. We paid for high priced excursions in 2 ports and found lower priced options in 2.

I created a 3 ring binder for our trip and had all of my reservation numbers for our trip. We booked all of our activities ahead and independently. That way we spread the cost of the trip over many months.

This cruise will work out best for you if you do a lot of research on each port. Only you know what interests your family.

In most Caribbean ports we go to a beach, tour the island with a taxi or visit a couple museums. I can decide that day what I want to do.

In Alaska you have to be more proactive. Most of the best tours/activities are booked ahead of time. [whale watch, train ride, flightseeing, etc] You may not be interested in any of those with 5 people in your group. It gets pricey.

We followed the high/low approach. We paid for high priced excursions in 2 ports and found lower priced options in 2.

I created a 3 ring binder for our trip and had all of my reservation numbers for our trip. We booked all of our activities ahead and independently. That way we spread the cost of the trip over many months.

And anything that includes traveling with a binder is a great idea!

We will be on your same cruise - hi! If you want, check in here at our Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1777599 You might ask there too what people are planning to do. I know sometimes groups can be formed from these roll calls to get group discounts or make minimums.

What are the ages of the 5 of you? Are there children? Older adults? DH and I are going to be with our 9yr old DD (and 24 extended family members...but only figuring out excursions for ourselves!) I have been askng a ton of questions of the very nice folks here :) and doing a lot of research. It's true that it's best to figure out what you'd like to do first, then you can price shop. From all that I've heard, don't be afraid to book outside of the cruiseline. BUT...as I just learned the hard way a few days ago, don't wait too long for something you really want to do. The smaller charters are going to fill up quickly, and some are already booked! There some great sounding excursions that can only be booked through the cruiseline, though, so if find one you like, go for it!

So far, these are our plans:

Juneau: DH is doing a Heli/Ice Climb. DD & I are Whale Watching with Captain Jack, then going to Mendenhall. Will do a hike there, then back to the dock area. Not sure if we'll try to eat there or take the Tram up...but playing that by ear.

Skagway: Not totally set yet but looking at trips out in Haines. These would be independent. Probably a hiking/kayak combo. It's a long day and we're trying not to get back on the ship until we absolutely have to! We'd rather explore the town of Haines than Skagway. But I also read great things about the White Pass excursions. They may seem pricey but when you consider how long you're out with them, per hour, they're really not that much.

Ketchikan: Fishing/Wilderness dining excursion through NCL. I checked prices for this elsewhere and it was the same price.

Victoria: Ziplining! DD really wanted to do this - so glad we were able to fit it in, esp in Victoria where we had no other real plans. Booked through NCL as it looked like, with transportation, cost would be the same as trying to do independent.

We are also spending a few days in Seattle on our way out :)

Good luck - hope to meet you there!

• 2 months later...

We cruised thru these three ports back in Sept 2006. Had a great time making our own tours. I'm a bit hazy about the details given the years passed.

Ketchikan - walked through the town on our own.Enjoyed the salmon ladder, the better art shops (including Ray Troll's place - fun), took a little funicular up or down to some totems, walked on some back streets and came across a stream/river that had many salmon spawning. We were able to see them up close for as long as we wanted - a highlight of the trip. Stopped at the local supermarket on the way back and bought some inexpensive smoked salmon to take back. Checked our email for free at the library.

Juneau - took that independent inexpensive shuttle bus to and from Mendenhall. Paid the minimal entry fee. Went on a great three mile hike I'd read about in a guide book and got to see the glacier and lake closer up. Encountered a tour group from the ship doing the same hike. They paid $89 each to go on the hike. We paid less than $20 each. We did miss out on the guide's talk tho'. Checked our email for free at the public library and went to see William Spear's fanciful enameled pin/zipper pull collection at his store.

Skagway - went on a 2-3 mile hike around a nearby lake, very calm and pretty. Also walked some of the few side streets of Skagway and talked with local residents. Highly recommend a short walk over the footbridge to Yakutania Point just past the airport by the docks. Was able to walk/sit amongst a lovely natural area that had great views of the water and mountains. Still remember the amazing fragrance of the long row of native rose bushes right near the docks.

We are going to be back to Alaska later this summer and are looking forward to doing some new and some familiar touring again. Enjoy - whatever you do!

In Juneau, I would recommend taking the Mendenhall Express bus and hiking around there. Also, Mt. Roberts tramway, if the weather is clear. If you want to splurge, do whale watching. We used Harv and Marv's.

In Ketchikan, Totem Bight Park is an inexpensive way to go. A little more expensive, but totally worth it is the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour. If you want to splurge, try a Misty Fjords floatplane. We used Island Wings.

Skagway, we rented a jeep and drove out to Emerald Lake in Yukon. This was our favorite day. The scenery was breathtaking and we could stop on our own schedule. Car rentals are even less expensive than the jeep rental.

Archived