Anything Montreal

sebas030

Ah... so we could taxi before the tour and drop the bags (can't leave them at the start of the tour because it's a restaurant) then free shuttle backs to Old Montreal. Then another taxi to temp facility. The tour end is close to all this as is our condo.

Or, come by taxi from the condo after the tour and if we miss the shuttle keep going with the taxi? I didn't catch originally that there were taxi's at the temp facility... that will be our back up.

Thanks for reassurance.

Ah... so we could taxi before the tour and drop the bags (can't leave them at the start of the tour because it's a restaurant) then free shuttle backs to Old Montreal. Then another taxi to temp facility. The tour end is close to all this as is our condo.

Or, come by taxi from the condo after the tour and if we miss the shuttle keep going with the taxi? I didn't catch originally that there were taxi's at the temp facility... that will be our back up.

Thanks for reassurance.

Just to make sure we understand each other,

The luggage consignment tent is located at the Alexandra pier in Old Port.

So you could taxi ( or walk if it is close enough ) to the tent at the Alexandra pier and drop the luggage there. Then do your walking tour of Old Montreal and after the tour, walk ( or taxi ) to the tent at the Alexandra pier to get your luggage and hop on the shuttle to the temporary pier where your ship will be and sail away !

IF the shuttle is not running anymore for whatever reason, you can pick-up your luggage at the consignment tent located at the Alexandra pier ( open until 6pm ) and get a cab from there to the temporary pier.

Have fun and enjoy Montreal !

At the cruise Canada N/E conference, Montréal presented a new video which gives a nice overview of stuff to do day and night in the city. No commentary, but like they say in French "Une image vaut mille mots" which roughly translates into "One picture is like a thousand words". Here is the link:

For people who have more questions about Quebec City, I created a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51050431#post51050431

Hopefully, superposter Sebas030 will answers questions there too.

The Montreal video is beautiful. After viewing it, my husband asked, "Can we go NOW?".

Hi,

The Ile d"orlean is not a borough of Quebec city, it is a town of it's own and the public transit doesn't go from one town to the other...unfortunately

So you would have to switch between the 2 transit system and the time tables are really really not good for people wanting to go on the Island in the morning and exit later in the afternoon.

A taxi could be an option...the Island is pretty near Old Quebec ( about 10 miles or 20 minutes without traffic ) and would cost about 40$ per way.

I would walk a mile on my knees for Monna's black currant products....but that's just me ;)

Maybe a Uber would be an option ?

Thanks for the info. Hoping to find one or two others to share a taxi over to Ile d'Orleans. I must go! Mona calls to me!!

Good morning all,

A little update this morning about the Uber situation in the province of Quebec.

Like I posted earlier in this thread, the provincial Government and Uber came to an agreement recently. BUT this agreement has to become a law, it has to be voted on at the parliament, etc... before it is official.

So, that being said, it could take up to 3 months before all of that is done...

In the past 2 days 15 Uber drivers saw there cars towed away, impounded and fined about 3500$.

This is just a warning...Uber should be plan "C" or "D" in your travel plans...

Just be prepared to alter your plans on spot !!

I'm the person who asked about Quebec City. Thank you for the great info, including the translation of the bus 1 caution. I need to get from down south (by Blvd Champlain & Rue Champlain, I think) up to the Musee Civilisation to meet a tour, so I would have been a little thrown off if the bus had gone right by where I thought it would stop! And yes, you're right, during the times of day I'm likely to travel, there are two buses per hour, not one.

Thanks also for the advice about the funicular versus bus 1, but I knew that bus 1 would only be good for getting to where the rest of the ships dock, and not to the Frontenac. However, I believe bus 21, a mini-bus, goes reasonably close to the Frontenac, so transferring to that one should be an option. However, I think I'm going to avoid the funicular in the morning on the day we're there, as there are 4 (gasp!) cruise ships in town that day, and I'm thinking there may be long lines for the funicular. Therefore, the tour company says they run a little shuttle from Musee Civilisation (lower town) to take me up to the Frontenac for the tour bus. I could also take a cab or the 21. I'll probably take the funicular back down after the tour, after exploring a little up top, and then walk around lower town a bit before going to the Gare Fluviale area to catch bus #1 back to where our ship will be. It's a little more complicated than I'd like, but I'm used to public transportation so I know I can do it.

We were in Quebec City 30 years ago, so I saw the basics of the upper and lower towns; hence the desire to get out in the countryside! Thanks for the pictures of the chocolate shop and where to go for the view. I'm guessing my husband will buy chocolate dipped ice cream and I'll go to the water to look around, but we'll see.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Is something going on in Montreal on June 11. I'm having a really hard time find a hotel that day. We are returning from our cruise and will stay until the 13th and don't want to have to change hotels.

Thanks

http://montreal.about.com/od/montrealevents/a/grand_prix_week_2.htm

http://www.go-montreal.com/attraction_events_jun.htm

Edited by LHT28

Hello!

Our cruise ends in Montreal on May 6. Based on the news article linked to a few posts back, guess we are the first of the season.

We have spent quite a bit of time enjoying Montreal on prior visits, and have decided to head to Ottawa after our cruise to visit with friends from a prior cruise and see their city. What is/are the best option(s) for car rental near the terminal?

Thank you!

Several major car rental agencies have offices near the port. I cannot recommend one over the other since I have never rented a car in Montreal. In the following link, you will find directions on how to get to them from Quai Alexandra (main cruise ship terminal) as will as links to their offices.

http://cruises.alamontreal.com/access-to-montreal/

I do not know if some of the companies have a service to bring the car directly to the terminal, but I would definitely ask them. Also, although the drive to Ottawa is prettty straightforward, bringing a GPS might be handy since all road signs will be in French. Since Montreal is a big city (with busy rush hours), I would try getting out of the city between 10:00 AM and 15:00.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

Jolie, thank you - that website is great. I booked an Avis car rental with our corporate account and this will work out great. We disembark on a Saturday morning so I would think traffic would be less an issue (Yes, been to Montreal before so I know a little about the traffic there!).

Thanks again!

Hello!

Our cruise ends in Montreal on May 6. Based on the news article linked to a few posts back, guess we are the first of the season.

We have spent quite a bit of time enjoying Montreal on prior visits, and have decided to head to Ottawa after our cruise to visit with friends from a prior cruise and see their city. What is/are the best option(s) for car rental near the terminal?

Thank you!

Have you considered taking the train?

check VIARAIL.ca

You can sit back & relax

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. Planning our time in Montreal as our cruise ends there June 10th. Options include booking a later flight that day and doing a "quick tour." What would we do for a few hours with luggage? I am 40's- but my mom and aunts are late 60's and would have trouble navigating luggage. Could book a hotel for the night, (but would have to get up and get to the airport early to arrive home at a decent time for work on Monday.) So this would give us an afternoon/night in Montreal. What could we do, where would we stay?

looking through the posts, but a little confused about what will be happening in June 2017. Which pier? Are ubers an option? Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Hello. Planning our time in Montreal as our cruise ends there June 10th. Options include booking a later flight that day and doing a "quick tour." What would we do for a few hours with luggage? I am 40's- but my mom and aunts are late 60's and would have trouble navigating luggage. Could book a hotel for the night, (but would have to get up and get to the airport early to arrive home at a decent time for work on Monday.) So this would give us an afternoon/night in Montreal. What could we do, where would we stay?

looking through the posts, but a little confused about what will be happening in June 2017. Which pier? Are ubers an option? Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Well, your main problem is that you're arriving smack in the middle of Grand Prix weekend - so getting a hotel for 1 night might not even be an option, as often hotels have minimum stays during that weekend (if you can find one with availability). The quick tour option seems OK, but there will be lots of traffic and road closures downtown, so even that may be a challenge.

As the previous poster has stated because of the F1 Grand Prix, it will be difficult to find a hotel room just for one night. I checked a very large hotel booking website I use frequently, already 90% of the accommodations on their listing are reserved for June 10th. If you really want to spend one night in Montréal and you like adventure along with your relatives here is an idea sleeping at the port. Starting May 16th, people who want can sleep at the Village by the Locks. More info. here: https://www.villagedesecluses.com/home

You will be docked at Quai Alexandra, main terminal near Old Montréal. They should have a luggage consignment like last year. I suggest leaving your luggage there for a few hours and visiting attractions near the cruise terminal. A few are a walking distance from there. Here are some suggestions of places I have visited and I liked:

The Pointe-à-Callière Museum (Montreal Museum of Archeology and History): https://pacmusee.qc.ca/en/exhibitions/

The Notre-Dame Basilica: http://www.basiliquenotredame.ca/en/

You can also take a walking tour of Old Montréal which I have taken and found interesting. Viator also offers bus tours with transfer to the airport afterwards. Here is the link: (they are affiliated with Trip Advisor and thus Cruise Critic so I guess it is okay to put the link here): https://www.viator.com/Montreal-tours/Shore-Excursions/d625-g24?page=1&activities=all&sortBy=PRICE_FROM. Because of the Grand Prix, you might be better off taking a walking tour.

Here is a good map of the cruise terminal: http://www.port-montreal.com/en/access-to-berths.html. You actually see on it the museum and cathedral I suggested visiting.

Ubers are an option but there were issues with that service last year in Montréal (see post # 455). I think the whole situation is ok now but I am not sure...

I will try to not break any rules this time.

I am a 41 years old cruise addict and I live in Montreal...I have been living here all my life.

I would love to help any cruise addict, like myself, who are coming to Montreal and give you pointers about the city.

Feel free to ask and I will try to help you have a great time.

Sebastien

Definitely want to get there sometime in the near future! When Montreal hosted the "Exposition '67" , I represented the US as a solo guitarist as part of the amateur talent corp that performed during the event. It was a pretty cool experience for an 11-year old that had never ventured very far from PA! Have never been back but I came across a cruise over the past few years that stops at Montreal as part of a Canadian Maritimes and St. Lawrence Seaway trip...definitely want to do it. Research I've done indicated that some of the buildings are still there and have been designated for various uses. Too bad the cruise doesn't end at Montreal since then I could add a few additional days and perhaps get around to see more than will undoubtedly be allowed by just a day in port. Then again, could also just drive up there sometime as part of a more extensive road trip.

Too bad the cruise doesn't end at Montreal since then I could add a few additional days and perhaps get around to see more than will undoubtedly be allowed by just a day in port. Then again, could also just drive up there sometime as part of a more extensive road trip.

There are several cruises that start or end in Montreal ... shop around

I know that Seabourn has one that does. I don't quite care for their itinerary as much though.

You could check out HAL, Oceania, Regent,Crystal, Viking .silversea

Just depends on what route you are wanting to do & time of year

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I have looked at a few of the cruise lines mentioned. My interest is primarily in visiting some or most of these ports - Baie-Comeau, Gaspe, Perce, Iles de la Madeleine, and Saguenay Fjord. Otherwise, if I just wanted to stop at the usual ports that are on a New England / Canada itinerary such as Quebec, Charlottetown, Halifax, Bar Harbor, etc. it would be easy to choose from many different cruise lines. I've done one with Celebrity, which was very nice, but I like the idea of trying a smaller ship (have never been on one) to do the St. Lawrence Seaway. The one I'm looking at with Pearl Seas starts in Toronto, then the Thousand Islands, Montreal and continues east. As for time of year, my preference would be either later Sept / early October or April / May.

Edited by three4rd

Have you looked at the Holland America itineraries? Both the Maasdam and Veendam do cruises out of Montreal or to Montreal.

Thanks! I looked at HAL and they don't go to the ports I'm looking for. They DID have one that visited the places I'm interested in a few years back but then they haven't offered that same itinerary since.