Is it safe to walk from Placa Catalunya to Columbus statue during the day?

Hello - I will be traveling alone and my hotel is at the top of the las Ramblas near the Placa Catalunya. I could take a cab for about 15 euros from the hotel to the ship but was thinking of walking to the Columbus statue to catch the shuttle to the port. I board the ship on a Monday.

How safe is it to walk the las Ramblas with my luggage (one carry on and one large wheeled duffle)? Has anyone done it? What was your experience?

Thanks

Dena

You may find that the bigger problem is that your ship is quite a long distance from the Columbus statue, since the port is huge. Are you picking up a ship's shuttle at the foot of the Rambla?

It is very unlikely that you would be mugged on La Rambla in daylight, as it is a very busy street, but you could have your pocket picked, or your handbag dipped into without your knowledge if you have both hands full wrangling your bags, especially if you stop to shop or watch the street performers.

I would enjoy the walk empty handed, but with luggage, I would opt for the taxi.

[Yes it is Safe.

Barcelona:

TO HELP GET BEARINGS:

See two maps:)

City

Port

Placa de Catalunya (Plaza/Square)see lower middle yellow

is hub of the hop on hop off buses (blue red)(Green transfer)

and is at upper end of La Rambla

barcelona-hop-on-hop-off-tour-north-to-south-route-in-barcelona-49597.jpg

PORT MAP

and transfer buses

from Columbus Monument (1) to Ships

starting at lower end of La Rambla

Barcelona-Port-Map.gif

I've walked many times pulling suitcases including a few occasions when I was accompanied by my Mum in her later 70s/early 80s. You are more likely to be pick pocketed when standing still or sitting down

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I've been to Barcelona twice. Both times I was aboard a Holland America Line ship. The first time, the shuttle was free (boarded at World Trade Center). The second time, there was a charge (boarded behind the market area close to the water). Note: we did not embark from Barcelona, so my situation is different.

Both trips there were issues of timing. The first time there, the shuttle was infrequent during the later hours (e.g., they didn't send extra shuttles close to our All Aboard and hundreds of passengers waited for over an hour). The second time, when we arrived another ship was disembarking, so the shuttle line was so long we opted to walk (the first time we weren't allowed to walk from the port). I'm guessing that the pick up times in town were regular, though.

It's really up to you, but if it were me, I would take the taxi in a heartbeat.

Just walk with a purpose, like you know where you are going. Ignore the street performers and the kiosks. You can go back and "sightsee" on La Rambla later. I've walked from top to bottom at midnight, no problems. I did notice that, out late at night, there were some touts out closer to the Columbus statue area "advertising" either strip bars or prostitutes...

Absolutely safe. Observe the same caution as for any big city i.e pick pockets etc but it is a main street. As to whether it is practical to haul the cases down there is your decision, I'd get a cab for practicality, but that wasn't your question:)

We love Barcelona; have a wonderful trip.

This is good to know. I was born, raised and live in NYC and have never had a problem with pickpockets. I do marvel at how many people stop to watch and take pictures of subway performers and must have their pockets picked in the process. they seem oblivious.

I have also travelled extensively and use precautions (cross body bag and walk with a purpose) and never had a problem though I have seen many pickpockets in action (rome, paris, istanbul).

That being said, I too am frugal and also an avid walker and it irked me to think I had to take a cab from the hotel to get the port shuttle bus because of pickpockets. so thanks for the encouragement. I am travelling solo and have one carryon and a cross body bag. I plan to scope out the Ramblas the day before and see how unsafe it seems.

One question--is there an alternate street (perhaps not as direct but I don't mind walking) that leads from the top to the bottom of the Ramblas? I am staying at the Hotel Jazz.

thanks for all

This is good to know. I was born, raised and live in NYC and have never had a problem with pickpockets. I do marvel at how many people stop to watch and take pictures of subway performers and must have their pockets picked in the process. they seem oblivious.

I have also travelled extensively and use precautions (cross body bag and walk with a purpose) and never had a problem though I have seen many pickpockets in action (rome, paris, istanbul).

That being said, I too am frugal and also an avid walker and it irked me to think I had to take a cab from the hotel to get the port shuttle bus because of pickpockets. so thanks for the encouragement. I am travelling solo and have one carryon and a cross body bag. I plan to scope out the Ramblas the day before and see how unsafe it seems.

One question--is there an alternate street (perhaps not as direct but I don't mind walking) that leads from the top to the bottom of the Ramblas? I am staying at the Hotel Jazz.

thanks for all

You are better of staying on Las Ramblas than using the side streets on either side.

You do not have to walk down the central section where most tourists walk. There are pavements (sidewalks) on either side if you prefer. If you are walking on the side, with luggage, you could be about to go into one of the hotels along there. No one knows you are walking to the shuttle.

Having read what precautions you normally take, I would say you would not have any problems. Most of the pick-pocketing happens when people stop to look at things not when they are walking briskly and with a purpose.

You are better of staying on Las Ramblas than using the side streets on either side.

You do not have to walk down the central section where most tourists walk. There are pavements (sidewalks) on either side if you prefer.

Having read what precautions you normally take, I would say you would not have any problems. Most of the pick-pocketing happens when people stop to look at things not when they are walking briskly and with a purpose.

Thisis spot on. There are some literal alley ways which mender through the gothic quarter down to the seafront but La Ramblas is the best route, as mentioned above.

As you are forewarned and experienced I realy don't think you'll have a problem.

I can't make comment regarding how you get to your ship since ours had once the further away docks and we ended up just taking a cab to our hotel after the cruise. We did Transatlantic, so didn't come and go from the same port.

I do know we walked up and down Las Ramblas both night and day to get a perspective of both atmospheres. At no time did we ever feel unsafe or threatened in this location. And it sounds like your hotel will probably be pretty close to the Columbus Statue. I would certainly have no problem walking this street day OR night by myself. As others have warned, there are a lot of professional pick pockets in this area. We didn't have trouble ourselves but I know others have. Best advice I can give is to stay alert and be aware of your surroundings. Barcelona is a wonderful city.

Cathy

Archived