Just off Caribbean Princess - Passengers save a life

Luvadayatsea

Embarkation Day, Saturday, April 13. You know the wonderful feeling you get when you finally board the ship and you feel your stresses melt away as you look forward to a wonderful week of cruising? For those of us around the main pool between approximately 1:30 and 2:00, those feelings quickly vanished as screams for help filled the pool deck.

I turned to see a woman floating face down unconscious in the pool. A man quickly jumped in while another helped him pull her onto the deck. Her friend (I couldn’t tell if she was family or friend) and others were screaming for help, indicating that the woman wasn’t breathing. I was on the upper deck and away from the stairs, so by the time I reached the stairs she was surrounded by at least 6 passengers who were assisting her. Recognizing I could add no value to the situation, I stood by with everyone else and watched and prayed.

Thankfully, she was surrounded by fellow passengers who could and did aid her. Two women in particular provided the most direct aid – one provided continuous chest compressions (the blond haired woman wearing jeans and a white shirt) while the other assisted and kept her stable (a dark haired woman wearing red pants and a white shirt). All the while the other four or five passengers who were also assisting were screaming at Princess staff for medical assistance and a defibrillator.

The injured woman was clearly turning blue at this point, but the chest compressions paid off and the woman vomited and began breathing. Shortly thereafter, an EMT (non-passenger although it wasn’t clear if she was from the ship’s staff or associated with the Port) came with emergency equipment and took control, administering oxygen, running an EKG, and administering other procedures. The injured woman was conscious at this point and I could see her eyes were open and lips were moving. Other emergency staff arrived with a stretcher and they administered aid for another 10 minutes and then secured her for transport. Then she was wheeled off the ship, alive, and transported to the hospital.

This terrifying ordeal lasted approximately 40 minutes. But the first 10 minutes were the crucial time period that saved that woman’s life. To the passengers who aided the woman, your selfless heroism saved her life. To the two women who provided the most direct aid, there is no doubt she would not be alive without your quick action and persistence in administering aid.

To Princess, if it wasn’t for these brave passengers, you would be addressing the death of a passenger. Your response was simply unacceptable. It took 11 minutes (I timed it – the eleven minutes is accurate) from the time staff yelled to your poolside staff for medical assistance until the EMT showed up. If this EMT was indeed on ship’s staff, then an 11 minute response time is unacceptable. If the EMT wasn’t on ship’s staff, then passengers should be made aware that there are no emergency medical staff on-board who can aid in life or death situations. And I hope you (Princess) expressed your deep gratitude for the life saving actions of these passengers in an extremely significant way, especially for the two women who provided primary aid.

I was impressed knowing I was travelling with passengers of such high character who would immediately come to the aid of a stricken or injured fellow passenger. At the same time, I was deeply concerned by the poor response from Princess staff and the implications if another medical emergency arose.

I do not know the woman’s condition. And I can only hope she has a full recovery. I feel sorry for her and her friends and family to have her cruise so abruptly turned into a near-death tragedy.

The pool band was setting up their instruments for sail-away while aid was being administered. And shortly after the event, the sail-away festivities began. Obviously, it felt a little strange to be partying and celebrating shortly after this near-tragedy.

It’s not clear to me whether the woman was stricken or fell and hit her head, although judging by the way they handled her, I believe she fell and there was concern for a head or neck injury. Due to the woman vomiting during resuscitation, and possibly due to blood in the pool, the pool was closed off for the rest of the day and part of the next day as they drained and sanitized it.

If any fellow passengers have more news, please post it. I wanted you to know that among the chair hogs and self-serving people we encounter on cruises, there are selfless people who are willing to put someone else’s welfare ahead of their own.

Bravo to all of you who helped save this woman’s life that day!!

I will keep that woman and her family in my thoughts and prayers. I must report a few years ago my friends and I were about to disembark after a wonderful cruise. We had breakfast in the dining room and were about to make our way off the ship when one of "the girls" felt so ill she could not even walk. We told a Princess rep and they tried ( as did we) to get her to see the ships doctor before we even exited the ship.. but, being stubborn she refused. The rep was amazing!! She got a wheelchair and ran interference through customs and baggage pick up as we were going to take her to a hospital in FL. (once we got in the taxi of course my friend decides "nah" she would rather suffer until she got home...turns out she was passing kidney stones..)

But, I would say we must of gotten a great rep!

While in Greenland last year during our TA on the Caribbean Princess, I suddenly felt dizzy while shopping in the one little store that was open. I stepped outside and sat down on a platform, then laid back a bit. Almost immediately two members of the crew stopped to see if I needed any help and offered to call medical help for me. I was feeling better after getting out in the fresh air and didn't need help, but I really did appreciate their concern and offer. As it turned out I came down with the flu the next day. I was impressed with their actions.

Love and Star, I'm glad you had positive experiences with assistance from Princess staff. Your experience mirrors the consistently high level of customer service I have experienced from Princess.

As the event unfolded, several staff showed up, but none attempted to assist in administering aid. I can only speculate 2 things: One - perhaps the trained medical personnel are off the ship during disembarkation/embarkation; and two, I hate to say this, but perhaps due to liability concerns, non-medical or untrained staff may be prohibited by Princess to administer first aid.

I hope I'm wrong on both counts, but the delayed response and lack of direct involvement by staff leave me wondering.

We too were on the Caribbean Princess last Saturday and wittnessed some of your detailed account. Thanks for your post as we only wittnessed the minutes before the medical person arrived. Not having any medical training, we felt kind of helpless in this situation. It was good to see that other passengers were there that obviously had more than some basic first aid training. We were glad to see the medical person arrive and her lifted from the pool. Our thoughts and prayers to the woman and her family.

Ken

I am not making excuses for the amount of time it took for the EMT, nurse, or whoever it was that came with equipment and took over, but one must realize that during embarkation, almost all of the elevators are blocked for use for getting boarding passengers to their cabin deck. That alone could create a delay. Also, add the fact that the Medical Center on ships the size of the Caribbean is usually on deck 4, and this all took place up on deck 16, which could certainly be another reason for the delay.

I seriously doubt that all the ACLS certified personnel from the Medical Center on the Caribbean would be permitted to be off the ship during embarkation. They, in particular, have to know that "ship" can happen ANY time. My understanding is that by maritime regulations, only a certain percentage of crew members can be off a cruise ship any time the ship is in port, and I have to believe that would also apply to the medical personnel.

I do have to say that I don't imagine there are many crew members that have been trained to to perform CPR. JMO, of course. But if they are not trained to do it, they really cannot be of any assistance in that sort of emergency. All they really could do is communicate the nature of the problem to the appropriate person, who would then be responsible to get the necessary personnel to where the emergency is occurring.

So happy to hear that passengers were quick to respond to the problem. Thank goodness for this woman they were. I hope that we hear news that she was fine afterward but a very scary episode for all involved and those watching on. Not a great way to begin a holiday.

I am not making excuses for the amount of time it took for the EMT, nurse, or whoever it was that came with equipment and took over, but one must realize that during embarkation, almost all of the elevators are blocked for use for getting boarding passengers to their cabin deck. That alone could create a delay. Also, add the fact that the Medical Center on ships the size of the Caribbean is usually on deck 4, and this all took place up on deck 16, which could certainly be another reason for the delay.

I seriously doubt that all the ACLS certified personnel from the Medical Center on the Caribbean would be permitted to be off the ship during embarkation. They, in particular, have to know that "ship" can happen ANY time. My understanding is that by maritime regulations, only a certain percentage of crew members can be off a cruise ship any time the ship is in port, and I have to believe that would also apply to the medical personnel.

I do have to say that I don't imagine there are many crew members that have been trained to to perform CPR. JMO, of course. But if they are not trained to do it, they really cannot be of any assistance in that sort of emergency. All they really could do is communicate the nature of the problem to the appropriate person, who would then be responsible to get the necessary personnel to where the emergency is occurring.

I agree! Thank goodness someone with cpr knowledge was present. The woman was saved by the heroic deed.

I don't know the specifics, so it is impossible to know if 11 minutes is too long or about right. But one thing I know is that given the typical demographic of Princess cruise passengers, there is almost always a doctor or retired doctor (same goes for nurses) within earshot. That alone gives me peace of mind when I am in open water. God bless those who reacted and no doubt saved the day.

Fair, well-written report, thank you. I agree, that is way too long for assistance.

I personally know how awesome fellow passengers can be. When we had a serious accident while on a Princess tour, our fellow passengers ran to our aid. We were really lucky to have a couple firefighters and nurses on our tour of about 40 people. One even came equipped with a knife, which was crucial in cutting us out of our seatbelts as we hung upside down. I will be forever grateful for their assistance and I always try to pay it forward when I see someone in need of help.

Just in case you don't know - there are telephones in all public areas of the ship including on the open decks. Outside they look "official" because they are weather-proofed. You can always pick up the nearest phone and dial 911 to report an emergency. This will hasten response.

Also, there are always at least one doctor and nurse on duty at all times.

I am not making excuses for the amount of time it took for the EMT, nurse, or whoever it was that came with equipment and took over, but one must realize that during embarkation, almost all of the elevators are blocked for use for getting boarding passengers to their cabin deck.

The medical staff have a special card to call/use the elevator.

There is a slot inside the elevator, below the call buttons. When

they insert the card, the current calls are dropped, and the elevator

goes directly to the floor they request.

We had a brief delay one evening when a nurse 'took over' our

elevator in this manner. I'm not complaining, just recounting

what happened.

Love and Star, I'm glad you had positive experiences with assistance from Princess staff. Your experience mirrors the consistently high level of customer service I have experienced from Princess.

As the event unfolded, several staff showed up, but none attempted to assist in administering aid. I can only speculate 2 things: One - perhaps the trained medical personnel are off the ship during disembarkation/embarkation; and two, I hate to say this, but perhaps due to liability concerns, non-medical or untrained staff may be prohibited by Princess to administer first aid.

I hope I'm wrong on both counts, but the delayed response and lack of direct involvement by staff leave me wondering.

Unless they are the Medical Staff, ship's staff would not interfere with ongoing resuscitation efforts. There should not be any break in the rhythm of the chest compressions. Once someone is "in charge" of the incident they remain that way until the EMT's arrive. This is basic CPR training procedure.

Sue

Last year my friend fell from the AFT steps going down to the pool. She fell from about half way down steps and face planted onto the teak deck. She was bleeding and it is a miracle she didnt break her teeth. Immediately another passenger approached and said she was an EMT and offered assistance, next a retired dentist approached to lend assistance. Within about 5 minutes the 2 ship EMT's arrived. They assessed the sitaution and took her to the medical center for further evaluation. The dr prounounced her sound enough to continue the cruise and she was advised to eat only soft foods. She was horribly bruised and swollen and is still having numbness in her front teeth. The ship board med team was awesome. However, my friend and her husband were very grateful to their fellow passengers for immediately coming to her aid. The dentist approached our group a couple of times during the cruise to check in on her. There are many great people in this world.

I remember being on 2 different cruises that where a public announcement was made for emergency blood donations. It was so amazing how many people showed up at the medical center.

Agree that there are many wonderful caring and giving individuals especially nice when you are cruising.

DH belongs to the 'Men's Shed' here in Australia and has been asked to go on a first aid course. I read this thread and am so pleased that he will get this instruction - you never know when someone will want you to be pro active.

I remember being on 2 different cruises that where a public announcement was made for emergency blood donations. It was so amazing how many people showed up at the medical center.

Agree that there are many wonderful caring and giving individuals especially nice when you are cruising.

For this reason, I now bring my blood donor card with me on cruises. Awhile ago, someone told me that they won't let you donate blood onboard unless you have it with you. ;)

This story reinforces my thoughts that cruisers are good people! I hope someone posts with an update on the victim's condition! I hope she is recovering! Good job, first responders!
People from all over are good. Among the stories out of Boston's horror last week is that everyone injured will survive, in large part due to the number of ordinary people who ran TOWARD the blast sites, not away. They improvised tourniquets, literally held arteries, etc. Unimaginable heroism.

Unless they are the any break in the rhythm of the chest compressions. Once someone is "in charge" of the incident they remain that way until the EMT's arrive. This is basic CPR training procedure.

Sue

Agree with Sue, at least this is what we are taught in my area....my mother, age 86, crawled out of her wheelchair to assist one of her friends, after she started choking on food and passed out due to lack of oxygen. My mother, crawled out of her wheelchair, got down on her hands and knees and took out the woman's dentures, tilted her head back and gave chest compressions. The woman expelled the chunk of food and began to breathe spontaneously...

The medical staff eventually arrived, but my mother already had gotten the woman back, and they allowed her to take charge till EMT's arrived...

Archived