New Cagney's Menu

Tideone

"NCL must charge Ocean Blue a "lease" and Ocean Blue to make a profit found they had to rise their price. A land based resturant is expensive to "lease", it must be crazy expensive in a ship."

I personally don't buy that and have not seen that in writing. Even if that is entirely true, NCL has already increased prices while reducing offerings and servings with the Cagney's changes so it doesn't seem out of the ordinary. I would also think that NCL would be very concerned about a 3rd party making pricing decisions that affect overall consumer satisfaction on one of their marquee attractions aboard their newest ship.

"Eat at the Long Horn or Texas Roadhouse have 18 oz. rib-eye with apps,salads and desserts thats around $80 or more without a tip. In Cagney's that $60 is inclusive of tip."

I agree with your analogy of dining at the Long Horn or Roadhouse with one small caveat: Cruisers (including NCL) are still paying a portion of their cruise fare for meals food and drinks (non-alcoholic of course) that are included in the price.

"NCL cruises are still a lot less expensive than most other non-camping vacations I have taken. Crips, air fare to the embarkation port cost a quarter or more of the cruise price in most cases."

Again, I agree with you that cruises are still a price/performance leader versus land only vacations. I'm also still an NCL fan, which is why I'm posting my opinions and feedback on this board. We can always hope that NCL makes changes for the better

I read on another post about the Ocean Blue not being handled by NCL. I do not 100% know if its fact, but some lines (Princess) their spa is run by a separate company. So we know it is done.

Every thing I purchase is more expensive than in the past. Folks are not happy with $5 extra paying at Cagney's (Supposedly less attractive menu, but IMO more attractive). What about paying $15 more just to fill you car with fuel every couple days? Or for smokers to pay way more than $5 a day to smoke. It is all what one is "willing" to pay. I cruise once a year, sometimes more. $5 more per person certainly is not going to deter me from what I enjoy. I will probably be giving my taxi driver a $5 tip for a 10 minute ride in the NYC in a couple weeks.

Also Certified Angus Beef is more expensive than the standard beef. It is not a step down in quality. I purchase it here at home and don't plan on going back if I can help it.

Edited by NH Cruisers

I read on another post about the Ocean Blue not being handled by NCL. I do not 100% know if its fact, but some lines (Princess) their spa is run by a separate company. So we know it is done.

Every thing I purchase is more expensive than in the past. Folks are not happy with $5 extra paying at Cagney's (Supposedly less attractive menu, but IMO more attractive). What about paying $15 more just to fill you car with fuel every couple days? Or for smokers to pay way more than $5 a day to smoke. It is all what one is "willing" to pay. I cruise once a year, sometimes more. $5 more per person certainly is not going to deter me from what I enjoy. I will probably be giving my taxi driver a $5 tip for a 10 minute ride in the NYC in a couple weeks.

Also Certified Angus Beef is more expensive than the standard beef. It is not a step down in quality. I purchase it here at home and don't plan on going back if I can help it.

On most cruise lines, the spas are Steiner. Steiner hires their own personnel, pays them and gives the cruise line a portion of their profits (not sure if they pay rent as well). Most shops on the ships are the same. Not sure if the cruise lines have a say with regard to what they charge or not.

Not only is the beef more expensive, the cost of most foods have gone up as well.

First of all you hijacked this thread --it is on Cagney's new menu---secondly you are misinformed about Ocean Blue--NCL as stated in press releases it is their restaurant run by NCL and the price will adjust with seasonal prices of seafood like any other upscale seafood restaurant.

also: from the NCL website

"Food Network star, Iron Chef and New York City restaurateur Geoffrey Zakarian continues to dazzle guests with a selection of three incredible seafood dining experiences exclusively on Norwegian – Ocean Blue by Geoffrey Zakarian, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront and The Raw Bar. Ocean Blue by Geoffrey Zakarian taps Chef Zakarian’s 25-plus years of experience and passion for refined cuisine, prepared with the freshest ingredients and accompanied with an extensive wine list, as well as Zakarian’s signature cocktails."

Basically he is under contract to supervise/develop menu and quality--- the workers--waiters and chefs -- are regular NCL employees. NCL buys all the food and owns the restaurant period.

now hopefully this thread can go back to Cagney's menu. All this is on NCLs website.

BG

BG

First of all you hijacked this thread --it is on Cagney's new menu---secondly you are misinformed about Ocean Blue--NCL as stated in press releases it is their restaurant run by NCL and the price will adjust with seasonal prices of seafood like any other upscale seafood restaurant.

also: from the NCL website

"Food Network star, Iron Chef and New York City restaurateur Geoffrey Zakarian continues to dazzle guests with a selection of three incredible seafood dining experiences exclusively on Norwegian – Ocean Blue by Geoffrey Zakarian, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront and The Raw Bar. Ocean Blue by Geoffrey Zakarian taps Chef Zakarian’s 25-plus years of experience and passion for refined cuisine, prepared with the freshest ingredients and accompanied with an extensive wine list, as well as Zakarian’s signature cocktails."

Basically he is under contract to supervise/develop menu and quality--- the workers--waiters and chefs -- are regular NCL employees. NCL buys all the food and owns the restaurant period.

now hopefully this thread can go back to Cagney's menu. All this is on NCLs website.

BG

BG

The posting was about Cagneys menu and price increase staying on topic how it compared with Ocean Blue increasing their price. How on earth is anyone to have a conversation if everything can be called into question of being "thread hijacking"? I think I just hijacked the thread saying this! Sorry.

I like the new Cagney's menu myself.

First of all you hijacked this thread --it is on Cagney's new menu---secondly you are misinformed about Ocean Blue-

BG

BG

Not exactly. The workers are NCL employees hired, trained, and managed by Zakarian. The exec chef onboard has no control or say about the restaurant (his words) NCL does not does not select the suppliers and food. This is a very different arrangement for NCL and they don't control the pricing only there share of the revenue.

Not exactly. The workers are NCL employees hired, trained, and managed by Zakarian. The exec chef onboard has no control or say about the restaurant (his words) NCL does not does not select the suppliers and food. This is a very different arrangement for NCL and they don't control the pricing only there share of the revenue.

I guess i will hijack now--- I have not seen that nin writing anywhere--NCL must still have liability for the restaurant--somebody gets food poisoning--NCL will be liable.

BG

Any good restaurant menu continuously evolves. Cooking trends change, availability of ingredients. While McDonalds may want to crank out billions of the same hamburger over decades, that's not true of a "good" restaurant. And personally, I like to return to a restaurant and see something new, instead of something I've have had a dozen times.

That said, does feel like Cagney's has somewhat cheapened its menu. And Certifed Angus beef is not very meaningful. The grade of the meat is the real measure of quality and price. True steakhouses use only USDA prime. Cagney's is using choice, which is a step below. It's what you find in generic supermarkets and chain restaurants.

Why do people post that they don't understand people voicing their opinions (negative in this case) while they don't read the entire thread realizing what's taking place.

It is NOT just one change, "raising the PP charge." It is 3 distinct things happening at once.

1) Favorite "seafood" items completely removed from the menu

2) Steak portions down-sized from 12oz Filet to 8 oz Filet

3) Per Person dining cost raised

Take those 3 things into account when considering that past NCL cruisers are posting their feedback on these boards.

Oh, and not sure how many of you Pro New Cagney's people have noticed but my fear and predictions have come true. NCL just raised Ocean Blue's cover charge from $35 to $49 (a 40% increase)! Heck I wasn't going based on the amount of food served and the price tag alone. Now my decision not to book that one is even easier. It seems that NCLs "revenue maximization" is in full swing.

Enjoy your specialty restaurant dining :)

I certainly feel that someone can voice their opinion, I just don't see the big deal. Does your enjoyment of your cruise depend on getting your favorite seafood or having a 12 oz steak versus an 8 oz one? As far as the price, prices go up; the cost of beef and just about every other food item has risen in the last couple of years. Instead of raising the price at Cagney's, should NCL raise the price you pay for your cruise? NCL is in this business to make money and if it gets to the point that I feel they have priced themselves out by raising prices, then I will make a change, but at the rate they are going, that won't be anytime soon.

First off, I'm not a pro new Cagney's person, I just don't see what the big deal is and I will wait until I try the menu. If I don't like it (which I'm sure won't be the case), I won't go back, but I won't come on here complain that my favorite items is gone (if they take the filet off, I'll find another steak to have) and I don't have a problem with them reducing the size of a steak....a 12 oz steak is 4 times what a normal serving should be, so now with the 8 oz it is almost 3 times the normal serving.

And thank you, I'm sure I will enjoy my dining experience.

Any good restaurant menu continuously evolves. Cooking trends change, availability of ingredients. While McDonalds may want to crank out billions of the same hamburger over decades, that's not true of a "good" restaurant. And personally, I like to return to a restaurant and see something new, instead of something I've have had a dozen times.

That said, does feel like Cagney's has somewhat cheapened its menu. And Certifed Angus beef is not very meaningful. The grade of the meat is the real measure of quality and price. True steakhouses use only USDA prime. Cagney's is using choice, which is a step below. It's what you find in generic supermarkets and chain restaurants.

I would have to disagree with you. Certified Anbgus Beef (USDA choice) is certainly better than standard (USDA choice). Most if not all the butcher shops and meat markets in my area have both standard beef and Certified Angus Beef. They claimed Angus was better, I tried it, and I do agree and don't mind paying more. Is Kobe (choice) no better than standard? A steak graded prime from a milk cow probably isn't as good as from a beef steer. What the animal eats will also make a taste difference. If you can't recognize the quality difference between standard and Certified Angus, you are probably in the minority. I do recognize the difference and anyone I've personally talked to do too.

Jon

Edited by NH Cruisers

I really don't understand why people think they are cheapening the menu. It is clear the cost went up. The beef from the last 2 years was the cheapest cut of angus anyone could buy and Cagney's was a ghost town on my last 6 cruises

I disagree, "cheapest cut of Angus" I don't think so. Did you mean lowest grade?

The Angus beef was wonderful, but the Mac and cheese was some of the best I've ever had! Delish :)

Mac and cheese, who woulda thought? We have a couple resturants within 35 miles of us that specialize in gormet mac and cheese. We thought it was a joke. We tried them, and are we happy we did. soooo good! Hope Cagney's is on par. I will be having the 18 oz. rib-eye too. For $10 maybe I will be a pig and get a second entree. Or not, I think I will be stuffed.

Edited by NH Cruisers

I would have to disagree with you. Certified Anbgus Beef (USDA choice) is certainly better than standard (USDA choice). Most if not all the butcher shops and meat markets in my area have both standard beef and Certified Angus Beef. They claimed Angus was better, I tried it, and I do agree and don't mind paying more. Is Kobe (choice) no better than standard? A steak graded prime from a milk cow probably isn't as good as from a beef steer. What the animal eats will also make a taste difference. If you can't recognize the quality difference between standard and Certified Angus, you are probably in the minority. I do recognize the difference and anyone I've personally talked to do too.

Jon

I may be mistaken, but I took the remark to be within the Angus Beef realm (if you read all the previous post remarks), and look at the menu, which is unclear (possibly deliberately) about the Grade of Angus beef.

I may be mistaken, but I took the remark to be within the Angus Beef realm (if you read all the previous post remarks), and look at the menu, which is unclear (possibly deliberately) about the Grade of Angus beef.

I may have been mistaken about the remark being within the Angus beef realm too. But supposedly only 1% of Angus Beef will make it to be Certified brand. So too me that is pretty stringent. Just because the beef came from an Angus that doesn't make it certified untill it passes quality inspections that 99% of it will fail. Certified Angus Beef cost a couple bucks a pound more than beef in any particular grade (Commercial, Select, Choice, Prime and Aged Prime).

To me, that could be the price increase at Cagney's alone. I do feel bad for the folks who really had favorites on the old menu that are now gone. The new menu for me I think I will like better.

Edited by NH Cruisers

I may have been mistaken about the remark being within the Angus beef realm too. But supposedly only 1% of Angus Beef will make it to be Certified brand. So too me that is pretty stringent. Just because the beef came from an Angus that doesn't make it certified untill it passes quality inspections that 99% of it will fail. Certified Angus Beef cost a couple bucks a pound more than beef in any particular grade (Commercial, Select, Choice, Prime and Aged Prime).

To me, that could be the price increase at Cagney's alone. I do feel bad for the folks who really had favorites on the old menu that are now gone. The new menu for me I think I will like better.

The Angus Beef marketing folk got you hook, line and sinker! I'd love to put you though a blind taste test.....:eek:

The Angus Beef marketing folk got you hook, line and sinker! I'd love to put you though a blind taste test.....:eek:

Absolutely...first, Black Angus is the most common breed of beef cattle raised in the US and "Certified Angus Beef" just a brand...no different than Hostess being a brand of cupcake. When you look at their registered trademark carefully, you'll see that it says "Certified Angus Beef " in big letters and underneath it says "Brand" in small type , cleverly placed in the logo in a way that it's very easy to overlook.

They complete the marketing job with the old cognitive dissonance hook by charging more, forcing you to conclude it's a better product in order for you to justify to yourself why it was the right decision to spend more for their product than a competitor's.

Edited by njhorseman

You betcha.

These are the people targeted with the words----

"You could save up to 75% or more!"

Which literally means you cou;d pay double bust-out retail and they will not have lied in the ad.

The Cagney's menu has been cut and the price has gone up. This is clear.

Is it a terrible menu? No.

Is it a menu for a place that purports to be a steakhouse? Again, no.

Was wondering about this today.

This is kind of outside the box thinking and I don‘t want to start rumors, but since NCL took off a lot of seafood options, could they be planning on changing one of the current restaurants to Ocean Blue? If they ever do, I would vote that they make the Italian restaurant a seafood restaurant.

Absolutely...first, Black Angus is the most common breed of beef cattle raised in the US and "Certified Angus Beef" just a brand...no different than Hostess being a brand of cupcake. When you look at their registered trademark carefully, you'll see that it says "Certified Angus Beef " in big letters and underneath it says "Brand" in small type , cleverly placed in the logo in a way that it's very easy to overlook.

They complete the marketing job with the old cognitive dissonance hook by charging more, forcing you to conclude it's a better product in order for you to justify to yourself why it was the right decision to spend more for their product than a competitor's.

I agree with some of what you say. Angus is a very popular breed. Angus beef like Colombian coffee varies greatly by brand. The only thing I can say with certainty is the Certified Angus Beef brand is a far better quality then the Angus NCL was sourcing the last few years. The Wagyu ground beef is not cheap either and the sliders were exceptional. Hostess is not a brand I would use in this case but it adds drama to your position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

After being on a few cruises, I look forward to a change in Cagney's hopefully for the better. Certified Angus Beef reads more than a mere marketing ploy or brand. USDA graders determine whether angus beef is Certified Angus Beef or not based on specific criteria defined by the American Angus Association... The most important of those being the degree of marbling (of fat) and marbling texture that makes a steak juicier, tender... and yummy!

While 80% of US cattle are of the Angus breed, most don't meet the criteria of CAB - Of all the beef that has been first graded by USDA as "Choice", only 8% of that is in turn certified CAB. If cattle ranchers have to incur extra cost to acquire or breed cattle with CAB characteristics, USDA graders are picking the best of the beef, and add in limited supply and demand, then CAB demands premium.

Frankly, I'm eager to try the bison...:rolleyes:

Edited by kylenyc

Just received this flyer for Meijer which is just down the road. Angus Beef (brand). :)

I've already had this "Angus" brand burger and it's no better than the Jewel/Smith's regular 80% lean burger IMO

Funny as this seems a bit ironic for those poster's that arguably defend the "New" Cagney's menu

1383849444_AngusBeef.jpg.81787f239e4383f34122ec321f474c02.jpg

Just received this flyer for Meijer which is just down the road. Angus Beef (brand). :)

I've already had this "Angus" brand burger and it's no better than the Jewel/Smith's regular 80% lean burger IMO

Funny as this seems a bit ironic for those poster's that arguably defend the "New" Cagney's menu

I think the piece you are missing is that the beef has improved significantly. In taste. Which is something you cannot see on a message board, it needs to be tasted.

I don't care what they call it, if it's better than the old beef, I'm in to at least try, I don't understand slamming something you have no first hand knowledge of.

If you don't want to go, don't. I don't get the need to slam it.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Suite breakfast and lunch menus unchanged. Crab cakes eggs Benedict still available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Sorry, I was out of town or would have thanked you sooner. So glad the daytime Cagney menus are about the same.:)

I really don't understand why people think they are cheapening the menu. It is clear the cost went up. The beef from the last 2 years was the cheapest cut of angus anyone could buy and Cagney's was a ghost town on my last 6 cruises

I disagree, "cheapest cut of Angus" I don't think so. Did you mean lowest grade?

No surprise it was a ghost town. The new menu and higher cost will continue that trend I believe