Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

19 minutes ago, TheShag said:

I am prepping for my '210 day' phone call with RSSC Air. Is it fair/safe to assume that no Delta flights are to be considered [I seem to remember a while back that they no longer sold tickets to RSSC]? Thanks experts!

Just got a Delta flight earlier this week.

(See my post above about the nonstop Delta outbound flight being a smaller upgrade than a one stop with a different airline.)

However for my return flight the Delta alternative was significantly more expensive than a very similar flight on a different airline. (But it was available if I wanted to pay the extra)

1 hour ago, TheShag said:

I am prepping for my '210 day' phone call with RSSC Air. Is it fair/safe to assume that no Delta flights are to be considered [I seem to remember a while back that they no longer sold tickets to RSSC]? Thanks experts!

Delta flights here too. Routings that priced exactly the same at Delta.com can be included or upcharged. So it’s beneficial to know what routings you would like before talking to Regent. Without inside Regent knowledge it’s about impossible to predict the answers. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 9:53 AM, TheShag said:

As mentioned by others, Delta flights are still possible.  I think that the earlier comment might have been a misunderstanding by someone.  More likely it was that Delta no longer had contract seats to the particular destination not "everywhere."  We went through that a few years ago.  We live in Atlanta so Delta is our airline of choice (I'm also a retired Delta pilot).  We tried to book through Regent from Atlanta to Sydney and we simply could not fly on Delta...at all...through Regent.  However we were able to get the return from Tokyo to Atlanta on Delta with no up charge (contract rates).  So the best idea is to have a number of options acceptable to you and don't discount any airlines.  It's really based on where you are flying to and on what day and routing you want.  So include EVERY airline you are interested in.  Never hurts to ask. 

• Like 2

I am approaching the 210 day mark for booking flights, and will be deviating.I will be sending a list to my TA, and I am wondering if I should include acceptable dates (we are flexible within 3 or 4 days), and different departure cities- for instance Vancouver, Seattle, or San Fran.

We would fly into whichever city we needed to on our own. The reason for this is for instance there is a flight from YVR to Seattle, and then to Dubai, and on to JNB, but the connection time in Seattle is way too short for my comfort.

1 hour ago, vegasdriven said:

I am approaching the 210 day mark for booking flights, and will be deviating.I will be sending a list to my TA, and I am wondering if I should include acceptable dates (we are flexible within 3 or 4 days), and different departure cities- for instance Vancouver, Seattle, or San Fran.

We would fly into whichever city we needed to on our own. The reason for this is for instance there is a flight from YVR to Seattle, and then to Dubai, and on to JNB, but the connection time in Seattle is way too short for my comfort.

Can I ask why you aren't calling air deviations directly yourself?

Your TA will have to interpret your wishes and by calling directly you would hear ALL choices so as to make the best decision for yourself without a middle man.

chamima, Hi!

My TA deals with Regent on a regular basis, and I think she might have just a little more pull on getting the best flights for us. Maybe I’m wrong about this, and hopefully will get some opinions from the frequent flyers here.

On 5/20/2024 at 6:48 PM, vegasdriven said:

chamima, Hi!

My TA deals with Regent on a regular basis, and I think she might have just a little more pull on getting the best flights for us. Maybe I’m wrong about this, and hopefully will get some opinions from the frequent flyers here.

In my experience the Custom Air Agents are fantastic!  I always call them personally so I can explore all the different options.  In your case, since you are considering different days, I think you'd be better off to call them yourself.  That way you can ask about your desired flights in order of priority and see which works best for you.  Cut's out the middleman (the TA), so the decision is yours and immediate.

I don't see what benefit your TA will get since Regent either has or doesn't have contract rates on a flight.  

I am kind of surprised at not getting any other responses about this. It has always been much talked about on this site as to the great advantage of using a good TA. 
Maybe things change, but one thing that I like is being able to use email for communicating. That way I have things in writing, and can go back if I need to review. 

My TA has always been right on it in replying with answers to my questions. I just received one yesterday that I can send her a list of preferred flights, and we can look at the best ones out of YVR or SFO. 

26 minutes ago, vegasdriven said:

I am kind of surprised at not getting any other responses about this. It has always been much talked about on this site as to the great advantage of using a good TA. 
Maybe things change, but one thing that I like is being able to use email for communicating. That way I have things in writing, and can go back if I need to review. 

My TA has always been right on it in replying with answers to my questions. I just received one yesterday that I can send her a list of preferred flights, and we can look at the best ones out of YVR or SFO. 

We have a great  TA who has gotten us hard to find cabins and intervened with the cruise lines getting things done that I never could on my own.

But when it comes to which flight, on which airline and which connection through which airport at what specific time of day works for us - she just doesn't know all of my individual quirks that affect my choice. In this case I'm more comfortable hearing all of my own choices and being able to evaluate myself. I like to be able to evaluate all of the possibilities myself.  I kind of liken it to choosing which cruise we want to take - as good as she is, the cruise that looks perfect to her may not, for many reasons, be the best one for us. I choose the cruise and she does her best to get it and the best available cabin for us.

17 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

We're like Chamima.  We also have a great TA who is more than willing to send my flight requests.  We had to book flights back when Regent shutdown our ability to phone due to over loading of the agents.  So I communicated with my TA my flight requests.  Long story short, we went through a number of back and forth emails as my desired routing was not available at all (not even with an up charge).  And it took time for Regent to process my request, get back to her, and for her to forward the info to me (we were on a cruise at the time).  

Every other time I've personally called.  I have always been able to reach an agent with minimal wait time, and they have always been terrific to work with.  I sit with the airline flight schedule open on my computer so I can see all the flights that I am interested in.  If I can't get my first choice I can get the Agent to give me an alternative, I can look at the flight in real time on my computer and decide.  Once decided I can look at the seating chart and have the Agent select seats as we are talking.  For me, it's well worth the time to be able to discuss options I may not have considered, and see seats available so they can be selected (on U.S. airlines at least) immediately.  

That's one of the great things about Regent, "one size does not fit all" so they afford the opportunity to be as involved or uninvolved that we want.  I leave all the other stuff (except shore excursions and dining reservations that I do on line) in the very capable hands of my TA. 😎

Air travel did not create many problems for me until Covid, but I have let my travel agent know generally what I want and he handles it and just sends me what he has come up with for approval.  The one thing I do not really care for is the current need for up charges to get the desired flights.  Basically I am still under the old feeling that from when you entered the airport to leave to when you arrive home from the trip it was all covered by Regent. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Probably a dumb question but which website would be the best one to see all international flights on all the airlines. Thanks

Have you tried ita matrix?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Probably a dumb question but which website would be the best one to see all international flights on all the airlines. Thanks

I like expert flyer - but I have a subscription, but you can get a free account and have a limited number of queries and alerts.  I can look at and set alerts if seats become available, equipment schedule changes...

ITA matrix by google is another more basic site.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lonedaddy said:

I like expert flyer - but I have a subscription, but you can get a free account and have a limited number of queries and alerts.  I can look at and set alerts if seats become available, equipment schedule changes...

ITA matrix by google is another more basic site.

Thank you.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 6:53 AM, papaflamingo said:

As mentioned by others, Delta flights are still possible.  I think that the earlier comment might have been a misunderstanding by someone.  More likely it was that Delta no longer had contract seats to the particular destination not "everywhere."  We went through that a few years ago.  We live in Atlanta so Delta is our airline of choice (I'm also a retired Delta pilot).  We tried to book through Regent from Atlanta to Sydney and we simply could not fly on Delta...at all...through Regent.  However we were able to get the return from Tokyo to Atlanta on Delta with no up charge (contract rates).  So the best idea is to have a number of options acceptable to you and don't discount any airlines.  It's really based on where you are flying to and on what day and routing you want.  So include EVERY airline you are interested in.  Never hurts to ask. 

Thanks very much for the clarification! Booking this week to SYD.

• Like 1

Well I just did my 210 day booking to/from Australia/New Zealand from USA. Despite the best efforts of the Air Dept agent, the available flights are sub par unless I was to fork over ~ $4-6000 USD per person per segment! Now that I have that off my chest, I was wondering from more seasoned cruisers whether, as time marches on, I can change those flights? As they have me booked with United for all segments, RSW-IAH-SFO-SYD and AKL-LAX-EWR-RSW [the exception being AKL-LAX on Air New Zealand], is there any hope that I could contact UAL for more advantageous bookings? Secondly, these bookings have layovers ranging from 3 to 10 hours. Although the RSSC agent said that I have access to lounges [I'm assuming Polaris due to First/Business class tickets], is that comment as safe as 'money in the bank? I have seen comments where that seems not to be the case for some travellers on some airlines. Thanks very much for your thoughts on these issues!

11 minutes ago, TheShag said:

Well I just did my 210 day booking to/from Australia/New Zealand from USA. Despite the best efforts of the Air Dept agent, the available flights are sub par unless I was to fork over ~ $4-6000 USD per person per segment! Now that I have that off my chest, I was wondering from more seasoned cruisers whether, as time marches on, I can change those flights? As they have me booked with United for all segments, RSW-IAH-SFO-SYD and AKL-LAX-EWR-RSW [the exception being AKL-LAX on Air New Zealand], is there any hope that I could contact UAL for more advantageous bookings? Secondly, these bookings have layovers ranging from 3 to 10 hours. Although the RSSC agent said that I have access to lounges [I'm assuming Polaris due to First/Business class tickets], is that comment as safe as 'money in the bank? I have seen comments where that seems not to be the case for some travellers on some airlines. Thanks very much for your thoughts on these issues!

Really doubt you will have any luck with voluntary changes as regent generally books restricted fares 

and for sure no changes until approx 75 days before departure as while your flights are booked they aren’t paid for until approx 75 days to flight. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TheShag said:

I'm not sure they could offer you a worse routing - if you don't take it.  With united /ANZ you should have lounge access on the whole trip.  I don't think they have Lite business like QR.  Biggest issue is that is holiday travel time.  

Edited by Lonedaddy
  • Thanks 1

What out of pocket are you working with how much is the air credit $7000 pp? and they are adding 10,000 pp ?  (4-6K per person per segment? ) That is $17K per person.  I'm seeing some flights outbound RSW-IAH-SYD on 12/17 (12/19arrival) and the return varies quite a bit depending on whether you leave 1/3 1/4 1/5 1/6 but the least price is a 2 stop AKL-LAX-DEN-RSW for around $23,600 for 2 people.   There is a 1 stop to IAH with an overnight in Houston which might be ok for you after the long return flight.  There is an airport Marriot in the terminal.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheShag said:

Don’t know your exact travel dates but these are the cheapest Business Class shown on matrix.iatsoftware.com and have much better connections than it sounds like you got.

IMG_2598.png

IMG_2597.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, firefox33 said:

Don’t know your exact travel dates but these are the cheapest Business Class shown on matrix.iatsoftware.com and have much better connections than it sounds like you got.

IMG_2598.png

IMG_2597.png

I believe OP is on the SYD - AKL Dec 20 cruise which is holiday time.  Though if they have time they could spend a couple months touring Australia.    I found regent air a good deal to ANZ but sounds like they are gouging them.  I understand the extra 250 for $non gateway city but what if the OP just took the routing they gave him - could it be much worse, and they would save $20K or so.  For that I'd tell regent to just fly me to the west coast or Texas and I'll make my way back to Florida on my own dime.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your investigations. Credit is $8200 CAD/pp. Due to 3 day pre-cruise tour and international date line, we depart 15/12/24. Return home 3/1/25. The outbound flight you mentioned was a $6000 pp upcharge as was a similar RSW-DFW-SYD flight. In addition, RSW-IAH-LAX had only 45 minutes layover in LAX. I also tried a RSW-IAH-AKL-SYD but it had a 65 minutes layover in AKL which would not work for Customs and Immigration.. The return flight you mentioned had a 50 minute layover in DEN and given the time of year for weather, not an option that appealed to us. Also tried AKL-LAX-CLT-RSW but it was a $3200 upcharge. All in all, I spent considerable time in preparation on ITA Matrix along with the respective airlines' sites all for kind of...nothing! Makes we really question RSSCs value proposition for international travel. I am morbidly curious as to what I would get had I not paid for the 210 day booking fee! The only shred of light is that I hope [!!!!] to get unfettered access to Polaris lounge in IAH [3.5 hrs], SFO [8.2 hrs], LAX [10 hrs] and EWR [2.6 hrs]. 

Posted (edited)

To add, there were a couple other non-upcharge options outbounds but they had either a 45 minute layover in LAX or a 1.25hr layover in ORD. Again, with what I read on these boards, a bit too risky at that time of the year especially when I look at on-time performance stats. Am I being too risk adverse?? Should I be calling them before my 3 day time limit is up and tell them to 'try harder'?

Edited by TheShag
additional info supplied.

58 minutes ago, TheShag said:

To add, there were a couple other non-upcharge options outbounds but they had either a 45 minute layover in LAX or a 1.25hr layover in ORD. Again, with what I read on these boards, a bit too risky at that time of the year especially when I look at on-time performance stats. Am I being too risk adverse?? Should I be calling them before my 3 day time limit is up and tell them to 'try harder'?

I don’t think you’re being too risk averse at all!  Between continuing labor shortages and changing weather patterns these short connections are getting more and more stressful. In the last couple of years we have made several short connections mostly through dumb luck(a broken plane had to be replaced for example). The good luck got balanced out last month when we missed a connection by about five minutes and had to spend the night in Denver. 

we have a couple of European cruises next year and I’m looking for three hour connections where I can find them.