Auto Tipping

DLepard

I am sailing NCL in August (new to the line). My first cruises were the type where you passed out the tips on the last night of the cruise. I went on a cruise last year and used autotipping for the first time... I loved the convenience, however, can you increase/decrease at the end of the cruise based on the service received? It would take something really schmucky to even consider lowering a tip, so I would be more than likely be one who increases it... BUT how do you adjust it?

Thanks!

I am sailing NCL in August (new to the line). My first cruises were the type where you passed out the tips on the last night of the cruise. I went on a cruise last year and used autotipping for the first time... I loved the convenience, however, can you increase/decrease at the end of the cruise based on the service received? It would take something really schmucky to even consider lowering a tip, so I would be more than likely be one who increases it... BUT how do you adjust it?

Thanks!

Envelopes either that will be left in your cabin or picked up at guest services...Enjoy !!

On Disney they gave us slips of paper to put in an envelope (they provided) to give to out servers/steward. I added cash in the envelope. I don't think every line gives you something to hand these people to show you have used the auto-tip. You might ask on the NCL board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107 to see how they handle it. I like to hand them the envelope and thank them personally.

Envelopes either that will be left in your cabin or picked up at guest services...Enjoy !!

Nope. NCL does not use envelopes. The "tip", actually a Daily Service Charge, is automatically added to shipboard account each day.

Since that charge is pooled among cabin steward, waiters, and others, we leave that charge in place and tip extra in person to any who have done outstanding service, such as cabin server. If we have a complaint about any service from anyone we deal with it promptly at Front Desk.

We always tip at the time for room service.

Nope. NCL does not use envelopes. The "tip", actually a Daily Service Charge, is automatically added to shipboard account each day.

Since that charge is pooled among cabin steward, waiters, and others, we leave that charge in place and tip extra in person to any who have done outstanding service, such as cabin server. If we have a complaint about any service from anyone we deal with it promptly at Front Desk.

We always tip at the time for room service.

Of course they do..however I was answering the OP's question about "how" to add "additional" tips..if that's what they were asking (which would be to use an "envelope")..apparently you thought otherwise.

I always gave additional tips in cash to who I saw fit. I leave the $12/day /person in place then give additional tips in cash if I want to. You can add additional on specialty restaurant receipts for those servers but I gave extra to our room steward in cash on the last day.

We leave the auto tips (Hotel Service Charge) in place and tip personally (in cash) at the end of the cruise those people who have made our cruise an enjoyable one.

We prefer this rather than increasing the Hotel Service Charge as we don't want that extra money to be pooled.

I think I like that idea. I am considering tipping the steward $25 on embarkation so that he really looks out for us. I did this when I took my daughter on a cruise in 2003, and the steward made extra animals, and one night we came back to chocolate covered strawberries (who would have expected that!??). He was nothing short of amazing, called us by name and always had a smile. I then tipped him again at the end of the cruise with the given envelopes. The boys are older than she was... she was 7, they will be 19 and almost 14... and it will be their first cruise...

Thank you everyone for your advice... :-)

I think I like that idea. I am considering tipping the steward $25 on embarkation so that he really looks out for us. I did this when I took my daughter on a cruise in 2003, and the steward made extra animals, and one night we came back to chocolate covered strawberries (who would have expected that!??). He was nothing short of amazing, called us by name and always had a smile. I then tipped him again at the end of the cruise with the given envelopes. The boys are older than she was... she was 7, they will be 19 and almost 14... and it will be their first cruise...

Thank you everyone for your advice... :-)

We have never pre-tipped and have always gotten excellent service

We never tip in advance either.

We have always had wonderful service and if we did not, we would address it with the steward. If that did not work, we would speak with his/her supervisor. We would not tip in advance. We always leave the automatic tip in place and tip our cabin and dining stewards etc with envelopes at the end of the cruise.

I always gave additional tips in cash to who I saw fit. I leave the $12/day /person in place then give additional tips in cash if I want to. You can add additional on specialty restaurant receipts for those servers but I gave extra to our room steward in cash on the last day.

We do the same as the above. Another thing to keep in mind if you don't keep cash on hand is that you can also go to Guest Services and get a voucher for additional tip (the value of the voucher will be added to your onboard account).

Archived