BVE on the Grand Princess

timetravler

We did the BVE on the Grand Princess yesterday so here is a short review.

First for those that don't know what a BVE is, it stands for Bon Voyage experience. The purpose is for someone to be able to explore the ship if you want to see the ship or to see you family or friends off when they are sailing. You are able to be on the ship for about 4 hours including lunch with a glass of wine, a free picture to take home and nice memories. It costs $39pp.

So our purpose was because our 2 grand kids(Amanda 13 and Kacie 10) are sailing to Hawaii on April 25th with my daughter and SIL. Thing is the 2 grandkids only found out they were going to Hawaii at about 10am of the day of sailing. They were totally shocked, but that's another story.

Anyways we saw the sign that said BVE's only and proceded inside. This was at about 11am. Regular passengers were not allowed to board until 1pm, but if your with a BVE such as my daughter and family were, you could board at that same time.I would say not including my family they had about 12 other people doing the BVE. You check in just the same as one would do for a cruise except NO LINES at all. We then were lead on the ship and into the Piazza by a future cruise sales consultant person. You can then enjoy a tour of the ship given by her or go off on your own. We have been on the Grand 3 times before, so we went on our own. First stop was to my family's cabin. Then I gave them a tour myself of the ship. At 12 noon we headed to the dinning room on deck 6 to have lunch. I ordered a loverly Salmon lunch including a house wine. It was yummy. After lunch we did more touring including the kids center, the basketball courts, the santuary, and the other swimming pools. My daughter met others on the ship who she knew which was a surprise to her.

After seeing much of the ship it was time for us to depart. It was now almost 3pm. The ship was due to sail at 4pm but did not sail until 6pm. As we left we saw lots and lots of luggage that needed to be loaded, so that may have been the delay. Also my SIL was told they had to wait for late arriving crew. As I was talking to him on the cell phone at 6pm, I heard 3 blasts of the ships horn and knew then the ship was sailing.

So to conclude, the BVE was so very worth the experience. Plus if you have family or friends sailing, they get to board before anyone else which is a big plus and no lines to wait in what so ever. I will be doing a BVE again in June for a Northern California get-together of people who are sailing in the new Royal Princess TA. What a nice place to have lunch if I may say so,

Thank you so much for the details .... we are cruising on the 20th and meeting friends at the pier who will be BVE (our reservations are linked so we can board with them).

So good to hear that you were able to go in at 11 am.

Can you explain which entrance you used or was it the main entrance to the building?

Thank you so much for the details .... we are cruising on the 20th and meeting friends at the pier who will be BVE (our reservations are linked so we can board with them).

So good to hear that you were able to go in at 11 am.

Can you explain which entrance you used or was it the main entrance to the building?

Mary:

It's the main entrance to the terminal, the only entrance to the terminal. See my photos from yesterday.

IMG_0426_zps9c9c1236.jpg

You will see the sign on the left hand door "Bon Voyage Check-In" where you tell the person at the door that you are there for the Bon Voyage Experience. When I was there in March they whisked me inside right away as they didn't want other people to see me going inside, I think, because they didn't want people asking "Why did you allow him inside?". As has been mentioned everyone goes through the same process regardless of whether they are on that cruise or not. We had the "Future Cruise Consultant" meet us and she did a short tour of the ship. Let me know if you have ant additional questions.

Tom ... thanks. Your review and photos were great. Appreciate the information about the door too. I just wasn't sure if there was more than one entrance.

Anyone know what the earliest they allow people in the terminal for the BVE check-in?

Also, my husband and I will give our luggage outside the terminal ... correct? I saw a luggage drop off sign in one of the photos.

to the op:

how in the world did you keep it a secret from your grandkids that they were going on a cruise to hawaii?

gerry

My daughter & sil told the girls they were going to stay a few days in SF then a few days in Monterey, thus the luggage. They also told them they could NOT afford a cruise to Hawaii to throw them off base. Nothing was posted on facebook. Many knew about it on cruisecritic, but the girls never heard ab0ut cc. Many of the plans were made late at night. When they were finally told 1 hour before boarding, those kids were in shock for 10 minutes at least. It was a great surprise.

BTW to answer the boarding time for a BVE, they let us in at 11am, no earlier. All BVE's may not be the same.

My daughter & sil told the girls they were going to stay a few days in SF then a few days in Monterey, thus the luggage. They also told them they could NOT afford a cruise to Hawaii to throw them off base. Nothing was posted on facebook. Many knew about it on cruisecritic, but the girls never heard ab0ut cc. Many of the plans were made late at night. When they were finally told 1 hour before boarding, those kids were in shock for 10 minutes at least. It was a great surprise.

BTW to answer the boarding time for a BVE, they let us in at 11am, no earlier. All BVE's may not be the same.

What a wonderful surprise ...

Thanks for the boarding time. I*'m sure it will be similar for us as it in just a couple of weeks.

Tom ... thanks. Your review and photos were great. Appreciate the information about the door too. I just wasn't sure if there was more than one entrance.

Anyone know what the earliest they allow people in the terminal for the BVE check-in?

Also, my husband and I will give our luggage outside the terminal ... correct? I saw a luggage drop off sign in one of the photos.

Mary:

When I went on the BVE I arrived at 10:30 am and was whisked inside the terminal right away. We were processed and boarded the ship shortly after 11 am. My only complaint was that they waited about 20 minutes for late arrivals and I thought that we should not be made to wait because people didn't arrive on time.

Tom:)

Mary:

When I went on the BVE I arrived at 10:30 am and was whisked inside the terminal right away. We were processed and boarded the ship shortly after 11 am. My only complaint was that they waited about 20 minutes for late arrivals and I thought that we should not be made to wait because people didn't arrive on time.

With all the mis-communication/confusing communication for the BVE, I can understand why some arrived later.

We probably will meet at the pier at 10:30 to 10:45 and go from there.

We did the BVE on the Grand Princess yesterday...

So our purpose was because our 2 grand kids(Amanda 13 and Kacie 10) are sailing to Hawaii on April 25th with my daughter and SIL. Thing is the 2 grandkids only found out they were going to Hawaii at about 10am of the day of sailing. They were totally shocked, but that's another story.

I went through security right after one of your granddaughters. By the time we got there, I already knew the story about the surprise cruise. Your GD told me, "We wondered why we needed to take so much stuff for two days in Monterey."

My husband said he would be interested if we tour the bridge, otherwise it is not that important for a diningroom meal and a picture. We could have a leisurely morning at our hotel instead, since we have been on this class ship before.

However for a tour of the bridge-WELL WORTH IT! Does anyone know?

My husband said he would be interested if we tour the bridge, otherwise it is not that important for a diningroom meal and a picture. We could have a leisurely morning at our hotel instead, since we have been on this class ship before.

However for a tour of the bridge-WELL WORTH IT! Does anyone know?

No bridge tour on the BVE on the Grand that I took in March 2013. Remember that they are dealing with a lot of things when they are in port. On other cruise lines they sometimes offered a tour of the ship which included the bridge for a fee. I did one on HAL Ossterdam last year and they took us everywhere. Saw areas that are only for crew members plus we all got a picture on the bridge with the captain.

Perhaps someone will respond if they had a bridge tour on a Princess ship, when and on which ship and if their was a charge.

I had a bridge only tour many years ago that was free but that was before 9/11.

With all the mis-communication/confusing communication for the BVE, I can understand why some arrived later.

We probably will meet at the pier at 10:30 to 10:45 and go from there.

Yes it was a miss-communication. The paper work said to board at 1pm. I knew this was not correct from previous experience. I have boarded as a passenger before in SF as early as 11:30 a few years ago. My sil had also called Princess and they could not give him a time to board for the BVE either. So when we boarded at about 11am, that was just a guess. It all worked out fine. I hope Princess clears this up in the future though.

Oh cute that my GD said to one of you how she wondered why so much luggage for a few nights in the city. 3 days later I am still smiling.

No bridge tour on the BVE on the Grand that I took in March 2013. Remember that they are dealing with a lot of things when they are in port. On other cruise lines they sometimes offered a tour of the ship which included the bridge for a fee. I did one on HAL Ossterdam last year and they took us everywhere. Saw areas that are only for crew members plus we all got a picture on the bridge with the captain.

Perhaps someone will respond if they had a bridge tour on a Princess ship, when and on which ship and if their was a charge.

I had a bridge only tour many years ago that was free but that was before 9/11.

Thanks Tom. Since our flights gets us to SF after 9 pm the night before, taking it easy at our hotel sounds preferable.

Mary:

It's the main entrance to the terminal, the only entrance to the terminal. See my photos from yesterday.

IMG_0426_zps9c9c1236.jpg

You will see the sign on the left hand door "Bon Voyage Check-In" where you tell the person at the door that you are there for the Bon Voyage Experience. When I was there in March they whisked me inside right away as they didn't want other people to see me going inside, I think, because they didn't want people asking "Why did you allow him inside?". As has been mentioned everyone goes through the same process regardless of whether they are on that cruise or not. We had the "Future Cruise Consultant" meet us and she did a short tour of the ship. Let me know if you have ant additional questions.

These pictures of the entrance look very different from the dock/terminal we boarded at last in San Francisco. Wonder what dock/pier Princess is using? We plan to do a BVE, so want to make sure we know where to do. Thanks.

A TOTAL NIGHTMARE.

I had no trouble filling out the Cruise Personalizer with my Passport. However, the shoreside personnel who check U in and give U your room key (which also allows U to board) did not have a clue as to how to handle it. They do not work for Princess. They are hired by a vendor.

I got a sticker and they did not have a key for me, even though I had already given them my Boarding Pass (with a green stripe at the top for Elite). I waited for wheelchair embarkation and then my daughter walked with me up the ramp. This was in San Pedro in March for the Golden to Hawaii.

We had arrived at the Port at 11:30. The ship was late coming into Port so not everyone was off; however, others were boarding. I couldn't get aboard becuz I had no room key card. I waited for an hour and my daughter finally went to put her carry-ons in her cabin.

Finally, I sat down on the stairs. We were in the aft near that nice nightclub. Finally, somebody brought me a nice glass of orange juice and a plate of fruit. At 1 PM, the Future Cruise Maven (Agent aboard) came to rescue me and took me to the dining room.

Next, we could not find my daughter. She was in a bar. The Maven finally found her and I had already ordered and eaten. I was the last person off the ship and didn't get to see much. After 32 Princess cruises, I had never been on the Grand.

I was never offered a photo. I guess they owe me one on the Royal.

I was soooo disappointed in this experience. I need to use my $39 to book a cruise within 4 months so I will book on board the Royal Inaugural in June. I pray that your BVE is a much nicer "Experience." BTW, I was the only BVE on the ship.

I asked for help debarking but was ignored. Struggling (winding) back up & down the ramp, luckily I ran into a uniformed man & woman. I recognized the Immigration Badges and asked if I may go back with them. Good thing. Elvis and everyone else had left the building. It was completely dark and we were LOCKED IN.

The girl officer went to get the key to get out the big roll-up door and I again sat down on the floor. I felt so lucky to "Escape Completely" from this fiasco.

Last Thursday when I did the BVE and my family was doing the cruise, they got their room key at the same time we got our BVE cruise card. They were able to go directly to their cabin and drop off their stuff. Then we toured the ship on our own until lunch. After lunch we toured some more. We had a fantastic time and thought the $39pp was well worth it. BTW the clerks handled everything with promptness and speed. I am doing it again in June for a get-together and can't wait.:D

Also the photo is taken right before you board. It is up to you to go to the photo department to pick it up. Perhaps SF is more organized then San Pedro is.

For those doing the BVE for the first time please make sure Princess has a current phone number on record. There is a slight chance that they can cancel the BVE at the VERY last minute due to a number of reasons. NORO and the ship arriving late. We did receive the dreaded call as we were driving to the port. We actually received two calls. One for the cancel and then one saying it was a false alarm and it was for the wrong ship. Just something to think about.

Thing is the 2 grandkids only found out they were going to Hawaii at about 10am of the day of sailing. They were totally shocked,
Bernadette... I think that was incredible that your grandchildren didn't know they we're going on the cruise until almost boarding time. I cannot understand what purpose that would serve. As you know, half the fun of cruising is the planning and excitement involved beforehand.

I guess the purpose of surprising the Grandkids was just the element of surprise. Kind of like Christmas morning when you get your first bike. To see their faces when they found out was one of those priceless moments I will never forget. It was pure joy for all.

A TOTAL NIGHTMARE.

I had no trouble filling out the Cruise Personalizer with my Passport. However, the shoreside personnel who check U in and give U your room key (which also allows U to board) did not have a clue as to how to handle it. They do not work for Princess. They are hired by a vendor.

I got a sticker and they did not have a key for me, even though I had already given them my Boarding Pass (with a green stripe at the top for Elite). I waited for wheelchair embarkation and then my daughter walked with me up the ramp. This was in San Pedro in March for the Golden to Hawaii.

We had arrived at the Port at 11:30. The ship was late coming into Port so not everyone was off; however, others were boarding. I couldn't get aboard becuz I had no room key card. I waited for an hour and my daughter finally went to put her carry-ons in her cabin.

Finally, I sat down on the stairs. We were in the aft near that nice nightclub. Finally, somebody brought me a nice glass of orange juice and a plate of fruit. At 1 PM, the Future Cruise Maven (Agent aboard) came to rescue me and took me to the dining room.

Next, we could not find my daughter. She was in a bar. The Maven finally found her and I had already ordered and eaten. I was the last person off the ship and didn't get to see much. After 32 Princess cruises, I had never been on the Grand.

I was never offered a photo. I guess they owe me one on the Royal.

I was soooo disappointed in this experience. I need to use my $39 to book a cruise within 4 months so I will book on board the Royal Inaugural in June. I pray that your BVE is a much nicer "Experience." BTW, I was the only BVE on the ship.

I asked for help debarking but was ignored. Struggling (winding) back up & down the ramp, luckily I ran into a uniformed man & woman. I recognized the Immigration Badges and asked if I may go back with them. Good thing. Elvis and everyone else had left the building. It was completely dark and we were LOCKED IN.

The girl officer went to get the key to get out the big roll-up door and I again sat down on the floor. I felt so lucky to "Escape Completely" from this fiasco.

Di Princess,

Since you've posted the same post in two threads I thought I'd respond in both places as well. Even after thinking about my first post, I can't help but feel the vast majority of your bad experience goes to the fact that your daughter abandoned you and you were not clearly informed about the process from whomever set it up for you. Clearly front others, you were supposed to tour on your own then find your way to the restaurant.

-----

Ok, I have to ask, and really am not trying to be mean, but your post has a lot of things in it that don't make sense to me. So your daughter was able to board the ship but did not seek out anyone to help get you on board. Instead she took off for a bar and left you on your own? She was gone long enough for someone to find you, for you to order and eat lunch and she still had to be tracked down to join you?

She also didn't bother to see you off the ship. Then they didn't make you leave the ship with all the others? They had to help you get off the ship? Were you in a wheelchair or just walking? You said struggling and winding up and down the ramp.... what does that mean. You walk out the exit then down the ramp in one direction and leave. I don't understand why Immigration was even on a departing ship. They are there for arrivals and no one would have been allowed to board if they were still processing exiting passengers. Why did you keep sitting on the floor, there are chairs in the terminals. I'm just at a loss on most of your comments.

Archived