What is the worst thing you forgot?

superduper123

Not the end of the world, but I forgot my dress shoes one time. So I had a choice on formal night of boat shoes, tennis shoes, or flip flops. Almost was going to do the flip flops, but decided the boat shoes would be the least objectionable.

Did the same thing, and ended up wearing my flip flops.

Not on a cruise but a trip to Disney World with a new boyfriend, I forgot to pack ANY nightgowns! He thought it was a come-on but I didn't really like him that much, ended up buying a $32 Mickey Mouse baseball nightgown which I still wear. :D With the "new improved boyfriend"

One year 6 friends came from Canada to go on a cruise, they get to the hotel in Ft Lauderdale and realize they left all the formal clothes -yes!! on the back of the door. The ladies go to Sawgrass and buy more but DH offers the husband his suit. DH is 4 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier but the husband takes it. The formal pictures look like a human in Shrek clothes. hehehehe

Did forget the toothpaste one time but CCL who we were cruising then had some samples of those travel toothbrushes with paste in them. Does CCL still do the little samples in the bathroom? Anyway, it was a lifesaver for us and those we met that day.

Went on a timeshare trip last week and realized we had forgotten a few things that WERE ON THE LIST! The secret I guess is to CHECK the list before you leave.

My wife's battery failed on her insulin meter. We wound up paying something like $10 for a $1-$2 battery in the Bahamas. My memory is it was a J battery. Didn't even try to buy one on the cruise ship.

Anything, excluding your passport (and VISA if applicable) can be easily replaced either on board or at port. It will cost you a few $$$ extra but not the end of the world.

Come to think of it any prescription meds might be an issue.

edited to add the cruise was more then 10 years ago. I might be off with regards to the cost.

Edited by Lookingforfacts

Not on a cruise but a trip to Disney World with a new boyfriend, I forgot to pack ANY nightgowns! He thought it was a come-on but I didn't really like him that much, ended up buying a $32 Mickey Mouse baseball nightgown which I still wear. :D With the "new improved boyfriend"

One year 6 friends came from Canada to go on a cruise, they get to the hotel in Ft Lauderdale and realize they left all the formal clothes -yes!! on the back of the door. The ladies go to Sawgrass and buy more but DH offers the husband his suit. DH is 4 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier but the husband takes it. The formal pictures look like a human in Shrek clothes. hehehehe

Did forget the toothpaste one time but CCL who we were cruising then had some samples of those travel toothbrushes with paste in them. Does CCL still do the little samples in the bathroom? Anyway, it was a lifesaver for us and those we met that day.

Went on a timeshare trip last week and realized we had forgotten a few things that WERE ON THE LIST! The secret I guess is to CHECK the list before you leave.

being old causes me to wonder..

Went on a cruise a few years ago which included a flight from London Gatwick to Barbados. Bristol to Gatwick is two and a half to three hour drive, so we decided to arrive a day early so as not to miss the flight. We had a nice meal that evening and retired to bed at around midnight. We both fell asleep and I suddenly woke up around 3am to remember I had not packed my dress shirts:D I am not a small chap and take a size 19/19.5 collar shirt. Too late to return home, we flew to Barbados arriving too late to shop there, I went into the ships shop and asked, any chance of a dress shirt 19 collar? To my utter astonishment, the answer came back "I wondered why we had one of these" It would have been embarrassing on formal nights turning up for dinner with no shirt just my dickey bow.:D:D

I have OCD tendencies but I'm also a bit superstitious so am too afraid to state my cruising successes.

I went against this mantra last week bragging about my very old car and how well it is holding up and now the check engine light is on :(

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Our check engine light (1994 Ford Aerovan) has been on for years. We've had it checked and found nothing. It has passed inspection every year.

Tucker in Texas

Seem to do pretty well for cruises, not so well in other travels.

One year (early'70s) a large group of us went to Sequoia NP. For a day of touring we all got into our cars, Families were split up.

After lunch we realize 12yo Billy isn't with us. Found him back at the motel up in a tree.

These days moms would be hysterical. This mom wasn't. Maybe because he was #5 of 6?

Last Caribbean cruise - was so excited about all the great new places to see, checked my camera gear out carefully, three times.

Then left the camera bag on the chair in my office. Bought a nice DSLR on the first stop and skipped some of my usual spa sessions.

Oh well.

Worst non cruise trip CRS attack - drove 10 hours to a weekend gathering. Putting the luggage on the cart, my wife asks "Bruce, where's *your* suitcase" ... Found a great big & tall store in a new town...

Which reminds me, time to recheck the packing list for next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Seem to do pretty well for cruises, not so well in other travels.

One year (early'70s) a large group of us went to Sequoia NP. For a day of touring we all got into our cars, Families were split up.

After lunch we realize 12yo Billy isn't with us. Found him back at the motel up in a tree.

These days moms would be hysterical. This mom wasn't. Maybe because he was #5 of 6?

Why was he in a tree?? How long was he up there? :eek:

I forgot my complete toiletry (dop) kit. Fortunately we were on a river cruise. At the first stop I was off the gangplank before it was completely lowered.

Two stops at a supermarket and a drug store replaced everything I needed. Now that is the first thing I check to be sure it is packed!!!

En route to the port for our first cruise on Celebrity, I quizzed DH on what he packed because Im a control freak :P He did not pack any long pants. One of my favorite things is enjoying a lovely dinner in the dining room. We stopped at Exit 9 on the NJ turnpike to get him some damn pants.

Why was he in a tree?? How long was he up there? :eek:

Why was he in the tree? He was 12 and the tree was there. When we got back he was literally hanging upside down.:p

He spent the day exploring, knowing eventually we'd show up again. Probably had to use a tree on occassion, as I don't think he had a key to the room. He also had a great bear story to tell us.

Went on a cruise a few years ago which included a flight from London Gatwick to Barbados. Bristol to Gatwick is two and a half to three hour drive, so we decided to arrive a day early so as not to miss the flight. We had a nice meal that evening and retired to bed at around midnight. We both fell asleep and I suddenly woke up around 3am to remember I had not packed my dress shirts:D I am not a small chap and take a size 19/19.5 collar shirt. Too late to return home, we flew to Barbados arriving too late to shop there, I went into the ships shop and asked, any chance of a dress shirt 19 collar? To my utter astonishment, the answer came back "I wondered why we had one of these" It would have been embarrassing on formal nights turning up for dinner with no shirt just my dickey bow.:D:D

New fad

My dentist!:eek:

2nd day of a B2B cruise I had a replacement tooth fall out...:mad:

Wandering the streets of Cozumel looking for a dentist didn't seem like the thing to do...

So toughed it out till the return to Miami and used the dentist the ship's crew used for a temp. Who knew my travel ins had better coverage than what I had at home.:rolleyes:

My dentist!:eek:

2nd day of a B2B cruise I had a replacement tooth fall out...:mad:

Wandering the streets of Cozumel looking for a dentist didn't seem like the thing to do...

So toughed it out till the return to Miami and used the dentist the ship's crew used for a temp. Who knew my travel ins had better coverage than what I had at home.:rolleyes:

In Hong Kong, my wife had a crown come off. Ship's doctor recommended Polident.

When we got into port we walk around and found a doctor’s office building and went into a surgeon’s office and asked his secretary. Where would you go if this happened to you? She directed us down the hall and we went there and had very good results.

I guess the thing to do is find local people you would kind of trust and follow those recommendations.

First off, I am a bit of an obsessive list maker. I had everything super organized for our first cruise. We were driving from Atlanta to New Orleans so no worries about over packing. I had been through these boards and had my extension cord, post its, highlighters, over the door shoe holder, collapsible hamper, small bag of first aid & assorted otc meds. Since we were going to NOLA for 2 nights pre-cruise, I was very proud of myself for packing the hotel clothes in a small suitcase so we could leave the larger cruise cases in the truck. We had a stay & park special so we could leave our truck in the hotel garage during the cruise and it was only a few blocks so we could walk to the port. Perfect planning, right?? Wrong.

Sure enough, we parked in the garage & checked into the hotel with our single suitcase and small carryon. We were able to walk everywhere in NOLA so we didn't move the truck the whole time. On Sunday morning we got ready, ate breakfast and checked out of the hotel. We joyously went down to the parking garage and put our carryon, & small case in the truck. We retrieved our 2 cruise suitcases and set off for the port. We arrived at the port and quickly checked in. Our luggage arrived just before dinner so we happily changed clothes and went to dinner. I finished unpacking around 11:30pm and it was only when I went to the bathroom to take out my contacts that I realized I didn't have my carryon bag from the hotel. Yikes!! No contact case, solutions, make up, eyeglasses, extra contacts or jewelry!! I had put that bag into the truck when I switched from "hotel" luggage to "cruise" luggage.

The eyeglasses, extra contacts and jewelry presented a huge problem. I knew the glasses & contacts couldn't be replaced but maybe I could buy a new case & solution and just get very lucky for the week. I was disappointed that I had no jewelry but most of it was costume stuff, I just prayed that no one broke into our truck because I had my emerald necklace, earrings & ring in that case for formal night. Makeup was a real pain but I could just buy some on the ship. It was the most restless night ever on vacation because I had to sleep in my contacts since the shops onboard weren't open until the next day.

Finally the next morning, luckily my contacts were still safely in my eyes, I went to the shops. I was able to get a new case & solution but all of the makeup they sold on the ship was the really high end stuff. I wound up buying a $28 tube of mascara and I had my lipstick in my purse. That was the extent of my make up for the week!

It didn't ruin any of our trip but I learned not to be so proud of myself for my organization skills until I really know that I have everything. Thankfully, many trips later and I haven't repeated it. :)

Edited by nyfarmgirl

First off, I am a bit of an obsessive list maker. I had everything super organized for our first cruise. We were driving from Atlanta to New Orleans so no worries about over packing. I had been through these boards and had my extension cord, post its, highlighters, over the door shoe holder, collapsible hamper, small bag of first aid & assorted otc meds. Since we were going to NOLA for 2 nights pre-cruise, I was very proud of myself for packing the hotel clothes in a small suitcase so we could leave the larger cruise cases in the truck. We had a stay & park special so we could leave our truck in the hotel garage during the cruise and it was only a few blocks so we could walk to the port. Perfect planning, right?? Wrong.

Sure enough, we parked in the garage & checked into the hotel with our single suitcase and small carryon. We were able to walk everywhere in NOLA so we didn't move the truck the whole time. On Sunday morning we got ready, ate breakfast and checked out of the hotel. We joyously went down to the parking garage and put our carryon, & small case in the truck. We retrieved our 2 cruise suitcases and set off for the port. We arrived at the port and quickly checked in. Our luggage arrived just before dinner so we happily changed clothes and went to dinner. I finished unpacking around 11:30pm and it was only when I went to the bathroom to take out my contacts that I realized I didn't have my carryon bag from the hotel. Yikes!! No contact case, solutions, make up, eyeglasses, extra contacts or jewelry!! I had put that bag into the truck when I switched from "hotel" luggage to "cruise" luggage.

The eyeglasses, extra contacts and jewelry presented a huge problem. I knew the glasses & contacts couldn't be replaced but maybe I could buy a new case & solution and just get very lucky for the week. I was disappointed that I had no jewelry but most of it was costume stuff, I just prayed that no one broke into our truck because I had my emerald necklace, earrings & ring in that case for formal night. Makeup was a real pain but I could just buy some on the ship. It was the most restless night ever on vacation because I had to sleep in my contacts since the shops onboard weren't open until the next day.

Finally the next morning, luckily my contacts were still safely in my eyes, I went to the shops. I was able to get a new case & solution but all of the makeup they sold on the ship was the really high end stuff. I wound up buying a $28 tube of mascara and I had my lipstick in my purse. That was the extent of my make up for the week!

It didn't ruin any of our trip but I learned not to be so proud of myself for my organization skills until I really know that I have everything. Thankfully, many trips later and I haven't repeated it. :)

Oh my! That's one of my biggest fears when I travel. Glad you made the best of it!

My wife somehow left her passport at home (she wanted to keep up with hers, I had everyone else's). But I also had birth certificates for everyone and we both had driver's licenses, and it was a closed-loop cruise. We were told several times that it'd be a good idea to get a passport (I just nodded) and we were asked for our marriage certificate to show her name change (that we did NOT have with us), but they let us on anyways. I did have a copy of her passport with us, just in case (I try to be SUPER prepared with stuff like that, I even emailed them to myself in case our electronic devices were stolen), so I wasn't overly concerned.

My wife did lose a contact on a land vacation once and had no backup; that took a day to resolve. Now we always take an extra pack, just in case.

Hi there

I cant believe I forgot this - lol.... We fly RI to Orlando for a cruise Sept 2012 on the Freedom. We got to the airport and went to baggage claim, as our bags came up my hubby told me to take a couple and go find the spot where our transportation would pick up. Everything went well until that night in the hotel before the cruise. My hubby missed the bag with all our toiletries etc....shoes, extras. We quickly called Southwest and thank the Lord they had the bag! ApparThis happens all the time Southwest advised me. Southwest was prepared to help and happy to do so for a fee of course. Plenty of other bags were being sent to port that night, we were not alone! They asked our hotel and told us to leave $55 cash at the front desk - yes it cost us dearly for not managing our luggage. The bag arrived at 2 am and the front desk had it for us the morning of the cruise. Stiff lesson learned. We BOTH stay at the bag claim and count the bags!