What is the worst thing you forgot?

superduper123

I forgot my camera once.:( We had to use our cell phones which were not nearly as good quality as they are now.

Tara

On our last sailing, I left my camera at the hotel and took a $100 cab ride to the pier before I realized it. My camera got to take its own $100 cab ride to the pier. Totally worth it: I would not have boarded that ship without it! But I had to wait forever for it. The do sell cameras onboard, and not at the price-gouging way you might expect...

I went on my honeymoon and when I went to unpack I had no underwear. I thought for sure I had and couldn't imagine how I forgot. I went "commando" most of the week. When I got home I found out the guys in my wedding party had gone back to my room and took all the underwear out as a joke.

That. Is. Seriously. Hilarious!

Forgot to renew my drivers license one year and when we went to board the plane on our way to the cruise ship and yes it was sailing the same day, the clerk says "Sir we can't use this as ID because it's expired". After a moment of panic I rememberd my passport which worked out just fine.

My wife, of course, tells me her and the kids would have left without me. :p

Mark.

lol - but isn't that silly. You are still the same person you were before your DL expired.

Same thing happened with my son & getting on the gaming boat in Indiana. I finally got it thru their heads that just because it's expired doesn't change the fact that it's him. lol

lol - but isn't that silly. You are still the same person you were before your DL expired.

Same thing happened with my son & getting on the gaming boat in Indiana. I finally got it thru their heads that just because it's expired doesn't change the fact that it's him. lol

My SIL went to renew her passport and was told that her driver's license was expired so she couldn't use that as ID. So she went to the DMV and asked for proof of her name and they told her she couldn't use her passport because it was in her maiden name. Her marriage license was from Canada so they didn't like it blah blah blah. Bottom line, it took her almost 3 months to get both renewed.

I have not had time to read the thread, just back from a cruise, however the WORST thing that I know of was that of a lady travelling solo a couple of years ago. It seems that her husband had not packed his passport!!!

john

Not me, but my friend:

We were flying to Fairbanks to begin a 3-days in Denali and then board the ship in Seward. I picked her up at her house and asked if she had all her documents. She said yes. This was when you had paper tickets for air travel. We get to the airport and she only has the ticket for her return flight from Seattle after the cruise.

Plan B: They will put her on a later flight if/when she finds it. But I have no excuse not to go. They won't let me take her luggage with me (Post Pan Am 103). So, I go to the gate and tell her that if she doesn't make it back to the AP in time I will see her at the hotel in Fairbanks.

She has to drag her luggage with her, find a cab, take a FLYING trip back to her house where she CANNOT FIND HER DOCUMENTS. After about 20 minutes, she finds them tucked into a travel magazine. She comes flying back ($125 for cab ride) and she walks onto the plane--last one on. She said the cab ride was worth the money because he used the carpool lane and would have gotten a $500 fine if caught. (Illegal for cabs to use that lane in Arizona).

NOW, when anyone gets in my car I show them MY passport and cruise documents, and MAKE THEM show me theirs.

On the return home from one trip, I decided I didn't need to keep my travel folder in my carry on since it was bulky and heavy. My checked bag had plenty of room and was below the weight allowed. I kept our airline boarding passes, but left the claim ticket and coupon we would need to get our car out of the lot at our home airport. So of course our checked luggage didn't get home the same day that we did! We arrived at the airport on one of the last flights in for the day so everything was starting to close down. We were afraid we would never get our car back. Fortunately, the parking attendant took our word as to when we parked our car and charged us that rate instead of their maximum rate like their policy says they will do if you don't have your claim ticket to prove when you parked there. That would have been really expensive! I did lose out on the coupon discount at the lot. Our suitcases did show up the next day, delivered to our home by the airline. I will not make that mistake again!

Edited by perfect match

I've had a few mishaps all created from my husband "helping" me. I'll put something aside so it doesn't get packed and he'll help me out by packing it so we don't forget it. That would be our airlines tickets that he put in with all the miscellaneous paperwork from the cruise so I had to have them open on the airport floor searching for half an hour for them. He packed his cruisecard, money and wallet once then blamed me for doing it. We come back from dinner and lo and behold he found them all in the shoes he was going to wear off the ship the next day. He packed our house keys and took over two hours going through everything to find them.... that kind of thing. The man helps every single time and I've told him repeatedly to STOP IT!

The worst thing I ever forgot was not on the way to a cruise but a trip from Vancouver (leaving out of Seattle) to Palm Springs with 4 kids. I got on the plane and realized I didn't have my purse with all my money, credit cards, ID, well you get it. I had a single credit card on me that was in my back pocket and was fortunately flying on a plane that had phones. I called the car rental agency and told them my problem. I was overwhelmed by their helpfulness. Not only did they overnight my purse to my PS destination, they didn't charge me and nothing, not a dime, was missing from my purse. I had many credit cards and over $500 in cash in that purse. Kudos to the workers at the car rental agency in Seattle. It would have been next to impossible for me to get the two kids who weren't mine home.

We hurriedly parked in the large garage at the Seattle port and had a wonderful cruise. Seven days later we got off the ship and realized we didn't have a clue as to even what floor we were parked on. Felt a little better when we started hearing car alarms and beeps as other people who had the same problem tried to find their cars.

I always take a picture of the parking garage floor number or nearest post so that I can recall where we parked when we get back. When scrolling through the pictures years later, I sometimes have a "why did I take THAT picture!?!" moment and then I remember and promptly delete it. Sometimes I have thought that I should take a picture of a recently rented car because there have been moments when I have walked out to the parking lot and thought "now what did we rent this time?!"

• 4 months later...

Awesome thread! Time to revive it. :D

So it is our wedding night. We had many problems leading up to it (which is another dozen posts on their own) including my DH running out of gas on the highway and having to hike to a gas station at 12:30am the night before, having to jump a fence in his dress rehearsal suit and hitchhike because his beloved bride to be *blush* was kind of scatter brained that day and borrowed his van to pick up her dress.

Well we kissed right before midnight and he took off and of course he, being the proper gentleman and realizing he was well below empty, decided to try to make it to a gas station instead of asking to borrow the car to go get some since he isn't supposed to see me that day before the wedding. He and all his family were from Texas and had all come up for the wedding in Chicago so he had no idea where a gas station was. He told me after we got married as to not stress me out. And he still married me! He should have learned.

Anyways, We get married and have the reception in the hotel I had stayed in that night. My beloved sisters are to blame on what was left behind. We jump in the limo after the reception and are whisked an hour away to the hotel where we were to spend a romantic night before getting up the next morning and having breakfast with all our family and out of towners then hitting the road from Chicago to our ship, Premier's the Big Red Boat, down in Florida. We timed it so we would just drive straight through and take turns driving through the night to make it to the ship.

We arrive at the hotel and I find that ALL my bags, that were supposed to make it from one hotel to the other were not loaded up in the limo by my sisters who were supposed to do this for me. We made the call as they were staying at the other hotel and they assured me they would be there well before breakfast in plenty of time for me to get ready for our departure. Which they weren't. They showed up after breakfast, when we were starting to really stress that we were not going to have enough time to drive down.

Anyways, my wedding night I didn't have my sexy lingerie that I had so carefully picked out which bothered my new husband absolutely none, ;) but in the morning I got up to shower and get dressed for our trip, but since my sisters had not shown up yet, I had NOTHING. No shampoo, razor, toothbrush, hair dryer, make up, CLOTHES. I ended up using the hotel stuff and they had no hair dryer in the room and I pulled on some of my husband's clothes which were huge on me, then, being the scraggly, dripping wet hair mess that I was, we went down to the lobby to meet up with everyone for breakfast. My new father in law, who had only met me once prior to coming up for the wedding, took one look at me and said, and I quote, "What the hell happened to you?!?!" I looked at him, shrugged, and said, "I'm married now. I don't have to try anymore." :D

Sisters finally made it and we got down to port with about 2 hours to spare before boarding. Went to a hotel so I could take a real shower and dry my hair and I could put on some real clothes before boarding. Since we only wanted a shower, we picked a rather "seedy" cheap motel. When we went in there the lady at the desk told us if we only wanted a shower, we could go to the beach. No thanks. We just want a room for a couple hours. I'm sure at this point, a room for a couple hours sounds like he picked me up on a street corner. Then she asks if we are going to use the sheets, because it will cost extra if we use the sheets. After that there was no way we were gonna touch the sheets. Ew. Took our shower and ran away as fast as we could to the boat! Our next cruise is slated for August 10th, 2014 on the Freedom. It's our 25th wedding anniversary. :) No sisters shall be invited.:p

Edited by Hurlymcgurly
spelling goof up

On my first cruise I forgot to bring SD cards for my camera, not a big deal I just had to buy one from the camera shop.

On my second I forgot to pack the bottled water so I ended up taking my meds with a soda until we got to our first port and purchased a few bottles....I couldn't bring myself to pay what they were asking for a bottle of water on the ship

Once, I forgot a swimsuit for myself. I just did without and didn't go swimming.

Another time, I forgot pajamas for myself. I bought one of those $10 TShirts that the cruiseline sells, in a super large size and used that as an comfy oversized sleep shirt.

Last time, I forgot dress socks for my husband, but luckily I was able to buy them onboard.

On my second I forgot to pack the bottled water so I ended up taking my meds with a soda until we got to our first port and purchased a few bottles....I couldn't bring myself to pay what they were asking for a bottle of water on the ship

Why didn't you just drink the water that is served on the ship? It's filtered and as good as bottled water. That's how I take my meds - I take a glass of water or juice back to the cabin from wherever we had breakfast. No need to buy bottled water.

Edited by DonnaK

Once, I forgot a swimsuit for myself. I just did without and didn't go swimming.

Another time, I forgot pajamas for myself. I bought one of those $10 TShirts that the cruiseline sells, in a super large size and used that as an comfy oversized sleep shirt.

Last time, I forgot dress socks for my husband, but luckily I was able to buy them onboard.

Why didn't you just drink the water that is served on the ship? It's filtered and as good as bottled water. That's how I take my meds - I take a glass of water or juice back to the cabin from wherever we had breakfast. No need to buy bottled water.

I just didn't think about it at the time:o

While we were staying at the Sheraton in Flushing the night before our QMII cruise out of Brooklyn, I realized that I had forgotten my underwear.

I walked over to Macy's to buy some and had a heck of a time finding an English speaking clerk in the store who could help me.

Eventually I found three more pair of the type I like and they got me through the cruise, hand washing most every morning, and laying them out on the deck chairs to dry.

A few cruises ago we were preparing for formal night and as my husband was trying to get dressed he asked where his tux pants were???? I replied hanging with the jacket......uh NO, it seems as I picked up tux after last cruise at dry cleaners I just assumed all was in plastic bag.

We were lucky, after calling to ships tux rental they had him come down to rental area an they measured him an had a pair delivered to our cabin. Thanks RCCL ! And when we came home I ck'd with dry cleaner an they had been holding the tux pants waiting for the person they belonged to ......taught me to always ck when I pick up clothes and not to worry about what we might forget because there seems to be a way to overcome it...Linda

2 cruises ago I forgot my battery charger still plugged in to the wall along with my extra batteries for my camera. Anyone that knows me on this board knows that I do complete reviews with tons of pictures and pictures are my life!

It caused me to have to purchase another camera to use for the rest of the cruise. That purchase ended up being one of the best decisions and everything happens for a reason I guess. :p

I make mistakes nearly every cruise, but two stand out. Somehow I got on Majesty of the Seas once with only the bra I was wearing and no other. I had to wash and wear it and blow dry it with a blow drier. Worse, it was black, so I couldn't wear any of the pastel shirts I had brought with me. Luckily, it was only a four-night cruise.

I did something similar, on our cruise last year I had brought 4 brand new bras with me that I ordered online. I didn't even think about trying them on since I always get the same size and style, I just threw them in the suitcase. I wore my dingiest, oldest bra on the day we travelled, went to change for dinner that night and none of the new bras fit. I ordered the wrong style by mistake. It was a long seven days with one old, Gray bra!

On my first cruise with a TravelScoot, DH charged the battery at the hotel the night before we were to board in Ft. Lauderdale. We got on the ship and discovered the charger didn't make it to the ship. The front desk of the ship offered to have it sent to our second port, but I was worried we wouldn't connect. Luckily, one of my friends sailing with us had the same scooter so her husband graciously charged mine every few days.

The ship and the hotel arranged to have the charger meet up with us in Ft. Lauderdale upon our return and at 7AM we were able to pick up the charger at the front desk.

Since walking was a real issue for me, my cruise would have been completely ruined if my friend wasn't on the same cruise.

Our story is just the opposite. My husband accidently packed the jeans, he was going to wear off the ship, the night before and put the luggage out in the hallway. When he woke up in the morning, he did not have any pants to wear off the ship....:eek: Long story short, a friend of ours went up and down her hall until she found someone with an extra pair of sweatpants. They were a little short and tight, but at least he got off the ship without too much embarrassment.:p We washed and returned them to the owner after we got home. We laugh about it now, but at the time I was a nervous wreck. Now, that is the one thing we make sure to keep out before we set the luggage out in the hall the night before.

Gwen :)

I did the same thing only with my husbands shoes. He had to walk off the ship barefoot.

You just reminded me of one cruise. My DH was upset with me for taking his cruise card and losing it. Made a HUGE deal out of it. I had mine, I didn't need his. Short argument and we go to dinner. We come back from dinner and he unlocks the cabin door. Ummm, how could you do that if you can't find your cruise card. Turns out he had packed his running shoes, socks and everything he would need to get off the ship, including his cruise card packed securely in his shoes. I told him, huh, funny how you caused this big stink about me losing your card and when you find it where YOU left it, no mention. Never going to let him forget that one.

• 1 year later...