Star - mattress

cruisinlawn

It's been a couple years since our last cruise with Princess. Due to the poor mattresses in the past, we had requested (in advance) a mattress topper to help with the poor support. Is this still necessary? Have they upgraded? We'll be on Star this Summer for a 7-day AK sailing. TIA.

Over a year ago, I had a pillowtop mattress on the Star. At that time, not all cabins had them but I would assume that over a year later, they do.

Somewhat of an improvement. That had always been a negative with us regarding Princess ships. I haven't seen anything on it lately is the reason I wanted to ask. Used to it seemed to be a common topic. We'll be in a standard balcony if it matters. Happy Sailings:)

Just got off 28 days on the Star. There was no pillowtop on our mattress the night we departed. The mattress was too hard for both of us so we requested something. First we were told by our cabin attendant he didn't have anything but the second night he found us a pillowtop which made a huge difference. My sister had the pillowtop on her mattress from the beginning. On the final morning of debarkation, we noticed the cabin attendant took the pillowtop off.

Aft balcony on the Dolphin deck. No pillowtop on the bed. Hard as a rock, first night asked for and received a thick egg crate. Would not have slept a wink without it. Just off the South Pacific 28 day cruise.

guess we'll be making request pre-cruise and follow up first thing when we board. Thanks for the input.

Good thinking. As my Mom used to say, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.:)

On the Sapphire on C701 it was a must have.;)

I'm wondering if anyone has gone to the trouble of bringing their own mattress topper? We were on the Ruby (inside) last fall, and the beds were so hard. The steward did find me a topper of sorts, but it was pretty flattened out by the time I got it. Still, it was better than nothing, and I appreciated his efforts.

At home, we have a latex/memory foam combo topper on our bed (bad hip). We'll be on the Crown (mini-suite) this fall, and I'm debating whether or not I should buy an inexpensive topper to take with me, and just leave it on the ship after the cruise. We're staying at Pier 66 (FLL) the night before, so maybe I can mail it to the hotel to avoid airline charges? Seems like a bit of overkill, but nothing ruins a vacation like a bad night's sleep!

Of course, Murphy's Law says I will truck all this down there with me, only to find out we have lovely pillow-top beds in the mini :rolleyes:

Has anyone done this before? (We do plan on taking our pillows!)

Good luck! We were on the Caribbean Princess last week. Due to past experience, I requested one as soon as we boarded and they were already gone. Our cabin steward said 300+ requests had been made for them. He added an extra comforter to the top of the mattress. It made a minimal difference. That's my only complaint about PCL - horrible mattresses!

Where do you go on the Princess site to request the Egg Crate topper before your cruise?

Either ask your TA to order it for you or contact Princess directly to ask (if you booked directly with Princess). The last time I did this before having a TA, I recall Princess giving me a fax number to provide my written request in advance.

We just got off the Star after 28 days.I took a new memory foam mattress.Good thing the mattress in the room was as hard as a rock.I told the room steward on disembarkation day that I was leaving it.He stated it was no problem as he had a request for an eggcrate and would use it.Some lucky person got a $100 plus memory foam mattress on their bed.It was worth the price to sleep well for 28 nights.Thank you Southwest for 2 free checked bags per person.I used that suitcase to take home what I purchased on the trip.Win win for me.:):)

Thanks, TPNurse, I think that's what I'm going to do as well. It seems like the toppers are in high demand, so it would be a win-win situation if I take my own: I am guaranteed a softer bed for my cruise, and then there would be one more topper in stock for future requests.

• 1 month later...

Pegbert -- I took my own thick egg crate topper for years, on both cruises & to hotels. Hard beds & rheumatoid arthritis do NOT mix!

Last year I learned that Princess had the egg crates to request. Now, I call Princess direct & "book" an egg crate. Actually, I needed 2 last year on the Ruby; fortunately my roommate didn't need hers.

If the pads weren't available, I'd be paying extra baggage fees to take my own again.

Call Princess!

You can't count on having a pillowtop mattress pad or egg crate. I had a comfortable mattress on the Sapphire in December. It was a mini suite. I had a rock hard mattress on the Ruby in January. They found a pillowtop pad and it was still hard, but better. Ask for something right away. I have brought my own, but it isn't always easy to do that.

Name:

Booking Number-

Voyage Number & Cruise ship-

Sail Date -

Cabin Number -

Phone Number -

Web Address -

Fax Transmittal Form

To: Princess Cruises

ATTN: Special Services

Fax: 661 284 4885

Please request cabin steward place a mattress topper and a top sheet on queen arrangement bed.

Thank You

My husband has come up with what I think is an original idea and hopefully will work. He bought a couple camping INFLATABLE pads. They are of good quality and expected to hold up for at least a few cruises. They are rolled and are about the size of two beach towels rolled up. We will find out if this works in another month.

I've cruised three other lines and never found a problem with the beds. Why is it that Princess has gotten away with this for so long? Some believe that a "firm" mattress is best for backs but softening up the top will not take that away. And of course, mattresses are one of those subjective items like food and temperature that we all deal with when we travel.

Archived