Panama Canal Fall 2014

Sorry Muffin

I was wondering what cruise line to use for my upcoming Panama Canal Cruise. I hope to sail from California to Florida.

The 3 lines currently being considered are:
[LIST]
[*]NCL
[*]Royal Caribbean
[*]Princess
[/LIST]Since I will be going as a single, and could only afford inside cabin. I want to make sure I get my money worth.

Any advise would be appreciated.

[quote name='Sorry Muffin']I was wondering what cruise line to use for my upcoming Panama Canal Cruise. I hope to sail from California to Florida.

The 3 lines currently being considered are:
[LIST]
[*]NCL
[*]Royal Caribbean
[*]Princess
[/LIST]
Since I will be going as a single, and could only afford inside cabin. I want to make sure I get my money worth.

Any advise would be appreciated.[/quote]

You first should decide what your going to pay , then chose. I would chose Princess. Have considered Holland America? Between HAL & Princess they have the most ships that do the Panama Canal on a regular basis.

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have strong opinions about which line, but I don't know you and you could love the things I hate and vice versa.

I will, however, [U]strongly[/U] recommend that you sail from Florida to California. That way, you're turning your clocks [U]back[/U] and gaining hours, not turning your clock forward and losing hours. I realize it's only three hours, but you'll thank me that night you're having a grand time in the disco and suddenly realize you have one less hour of sleep before your oh-dark-thirty wake-up call for a shore excursion.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Of the cruise lines you mentioned, NCL will normally have 1 or 2 CA to FL Canal transits early fall right after the Alaska season finishes. RCI has 1 cruise from CA through the Canal in late November, that trip is the return leg of a FL to CA transit. Princess's schedule is not out yet for the fall of 2014, but from past years experience they will have the most Canal transits available during the fall/winter Canal season. If you have a favorite of those three see if you can make the dates and prices work, otherwise the easiest choice would be Princess as long as they maintain their previous Canal schedule.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Welcome to Cruise Critic.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]I always look at the itineraries.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]There are some that are more port intensive than others. Just an example -- one cruise we looked at was 15 days but had only 5 ports while another one we looked at was 20 days with 12 ports (not including the actual Panama Canal transit).[/SIZE][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Sorry Muffin']I made up my reservation on Royal Caribbean Legend of the Sea leaving San Diego on Nov 30, 2014. Hope the weather is nice, and the ship decorated for Christmas[/quote]

It's always a good feeling to make the decision. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Congratulations on making a choice:) I will tell you that our full Panama Canal transit on Royal Carribean still ranks as one of our top 4 cruises.......it was a great experience.

You just made on of those decisions that can only be a good decision. The canal full transit is amazing!

I see you are new to Cruise Critic, so some suggestions. Go over to the Royal roll call forum and look for the roll call of your cruise, join it. Also, start to look around on the Ports of call forums to see what to do in the various ports you will visit. Finally, if you have a friend who can join you, talk them into it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived