midnight buffet

It has been a few years since we have been on the Explorer of the Seas. Do they still do the late night Buffet? All the cruises we have been on recently are the new larger ships and they do not seem to be doing them.

I believe they try to do a late night poolside BBQ one night during the cruise. On our recent cruise to Bermuda, it was too cold to have the BBQ outside, so they moved it to the Promenade.

Just got off the Enchantment yesterday and they had the pool deck party with the midnight buffet on Saturday ... it was great!

That's great to know. Enchantment is keeping a Monarch tradition alive.:)

It has been a few years since we have been on the Explorer of the Seas. Do they still do the late night Buffet? All the cruises we have been on recently are the new larger ships and they do not seem to be doing them.

No more Midnight Buffets....explorer does the late night party on the pool deck also....

I think the late night party is up to the Cruise Director, and then it is probably dependent on weather. I've had some late night parties moved to the Royal Promenade (on voyager class ships and higher) because it was too rainy or too cold. The old RCI mignight buffets with ice carvings are no longer, alas.

The days of the midnight buffet are gone. But most ships have some food offerings till the wee hours of the morning. On the Grand Princess, the international café (I think that is the name, its escaping me at the moment) has sandwiches, Panini's, pastries, and deserts available till at least 2-3 am. On the LOS a few years ago there was pizza, sandwiches, and deserts available until around 2 am as well.

The food at the late night deck party certainly varies by ship.

On Freedom of the Seas in October 2012, there were 2 small tables with what looked like leftover cold-cut sandwiches and some stale cookies. It was pitiful and I didn't even eat a bite of anything.

On Jewel of the Seas a few weeks ago, they had a very nice spread that was maybe 40 feet long with a much nicer selection of pastries, ice creams, and hot appetizer type food. They had some watermelon carvings, ice carvings, and breads that were baked into animal shapes.

On my last 5 cruises on the Exployer as stated they have one BBQ night buffet and if inclement weather it is held on promadade deck they also have a buffet of sorts another day sea day on way home you go from station to station seating is limited (dumb) the brunch the used to have in dining room was better and you could sit down and enjoy it.

The old midnight buffet was a terrible waste of food, but at the same time it is a shame that newer cruisers will never have a chance to experience this cruise tradition.

For those that have never seen one, they were so extravagant that the room (MDR) opened for photography only at 11:30, then you could actually eat at midnight.

It would be great if they still did them on rare occasions, like maybe on cruises during the December promotions.

Before my cruising days, but there was a time when they did a midnight buffet every night!

My guess is that midnight buffet will soon be totally gone.

Seriously, who needs more food, especially after midnight?

Acid reflux anyone?

I've been know to have pizza and beer at the Promenade pub after midnight.:)

Before my cruising days, but there was a time when they did a midnight buffet every night!

On our first cruise, Celebrity Horizon to Bermuda, they had a midnight buffet every night in the buffet area of the ship and then on one night of the week they had the grand gala midnight buffet in the dining room. It was a nice tradition but back then there was not really any other place to get some food after dinner other than from room service. Now with places available to get food on the ships almost 24 hrs. a day I think it is reasonable that these buffets have disappeared into cruising history.

Everyone needs a midnight snack!

We were so glad to discover the Park Cafe in the back of the solarium on the second night and it always had a line up. One time, they had to get extra help to deal with the all the guests that were there.

Just got off the Enchantment yesterday and they had the pool deck party with the midnight buffet on Saturday ... it was great!

I'm thrilled to know that the late night deck parties continue on the shorty cruises. I love the music, the food, the fun of it. Looks as though the spirit of the Monarch lives on!;)

I've been know to have pizza and beer at the Promenade pub after midnight.:)

Pizza and beer make much more sense than the days of carved roast beef and a smoked pig with an apple in its mouth! That's what was served on the first cruise I ever sailed on. A bit heavy for the midnight hour...LOL

Archived