Free Laundry

spindrift

I was just thinking about the "free laundry" as a perk at a certain loyalty level. Hmmmm - I don't mind doing my laundry, which I do. I find this thread interesting as to the comments about doing laundry. ;) The room is always full.

And relative to the laundry room, I have met some folks with whom I still stay in contact. Never have I seen a "disturbance," and I hope I never do. I will just step out.

Yes, I am one of those OC travelers who do wash every couple of days. :p

I have to disagree with the statement that the laundry room is *always* full. It does make sense that it might be on the smaller ships because 684 people sharing four machines would make it seem that there is always a long line. Maybe they should set up a numbers system.

However, you can choose your times so that there is NOT a crowd, which is what we always do. It worked best when we were in the cabin directly opposite the laundry room ...

We find good times are during cocktail hour or the early dinner hour. Sea days find the laundry room packed, but if you're in port and not leaving the ship -- that can be good since so many people are off touring. Jan suggests doing laundry on the day people board if you are on a B2B. You can do your laundry before the new passengers come on board.

Mura

Well Mura, I guess I have the wrong times. We always have cocktail hour (but usually in the stateroom) and we have an early dinner so that we are up for the early tours. We aren't late evening or night people. sure don't want to waste our cocktail hour doing laundry. ;)

We get to the laundry first thing in the morning.

The laundry rooms on the Marina are fabulous--no problems there (unless the machines are broken). It is the smaller ship with just the 4 machines (hoping they are all working). We have never had a "group" on the Marina. :)

First thing in the morning COULD work, even on the "R" ships. But if you are heading out for an early tour, then that is a problem. Certainly your chances are better on the "O" ships since there are more laundry rooms and more machines in each one.

We don't do the bar scene -- maybe I have a cocktail in our room but hubby doesn't drink so this isn't a priority for us. So that's why we've found late afternoon/early evening works for us. But I would never suggest that someone should give up a desired cocktail time (where in the cabin or in one of the ship's bars) just to do laundry!

Mura

On the "R" ships, early morning or cocktail hour are the best times. Same thing with the Marina. Yes even though there are laundry rooms on each deck, there can still be a wait.

Not really, just go to another deck other than yours.

I have a GREAT idea. What about getting free laundry after so many cruises? Sounds like a winner, huh? I can just see using that free time when I would normally line up for the laundry room. Boy, would people start booking for just that benefit. :D

YES!

If they set the loyalty rewards bar to high for me can I drop a bag off at your cabin? :D

Crystal has "free" self serve laundry. However to paraphrase the economist Milton Friedman "there is no such thing as free laundry" everything must be paid for either directly or indirectly.

BTW on the Marina during this 18 day cruise we have used the laundry twice and had no problems getting a machine.

Crystal has "free" self serve laundry. However to paraphrase the economist Milton Friedman "there is no such thing as free laundry" everything must be paid for either directly or indirectly.

Yes and no.

Yes - you paid for cruises to get status (i.e. elite with Princess) but once you have it you don't pay extra (as in higher cruise fare) to get the free laundry - you pay the same as everyone else (thus your laundry IS free).

With cruise lines that do not offer this you will pay for cruises to get status with them but you still don't get this perk (i.e. free laundry and free Internet).

With Regent and Crystal you do pay for it in higher cruise fare (thus no "free laundry" there)

Can someone please tell me how much does it cost to have clothes washed on board the Riviera ship? We used the service on another cruise line and it wasn't that exi per bag (but my new bright pink t shirt came back baby pink). :o

Can someone please tell me how much does it cost to have clothes washed on board the Riviera ship? We used the service on another cruise line and it wasn't that exi per bag (but my new bright pink t shirt came back baby pink). :o

On the cruise we just left, the ship was offering 20 pieces for $20. It was supposed to be limited to a few days, but it seemed as though they were offering it all the time.

Regular prices are per piece, I believe, and are different for different items.

The self service washers are $2 for wash or dry.

• 3 months later...

We actually like the fact that O charges a nominal fee to use their washers because it discourages use and makes the machines more accessible. On Crystal, where the machines are "free", finding open machines can at times be problematic, and my wife loves to do laundry fairly frequently. Of course, the more people using the machines, the more problems with uncivil behavior in the laundry rooms. I once started a thread called "Tales of the laundry room" on the Crystal thread, which led to a variety of stories, some of rudeness and fights, to stories of fun and friendships made, pax running into celebrity entertainers doing their laundry, to people who played cards or enjoyed a glass of wine while they waited. My wife ordinarily chooses her times wisely and doesn't have a problem.

Of course, the more people using the machines, the more problems with uncivil behavior in the laundry rooms. I once started a thread called "Tales of the laundry room" on the Crystal thread, which led to a variety of stories, some of rudeness and fights,

...including being kicked off the ship, as we have witnessed on one cruise (not Oceania) :eek:

For me I take mostly wash n wear clothes & do not want my clothes washed in hot water...I take most of the micro fibre clothes from the washer & hang up on hangers in the bathroom to dry...dry in a few hours

Is 'hot' the only water temperature choice? And, what are the choice(s) for the dryers?

TIA

For me I take mostly wash n wear clothes & do not want my clothes washed in hot water...I take most of the micro fibre clothes from the washer & hang up on hangers in the bathroom to dry...dry in a few hours

Is 'hot' the only water temperature choice? And, what are the choice(s) for the dryers?

TIA

I was referring to the ship's laundry..they seem to use hot water

In the self serve machines they have different temps just like at home

Lyn

We are platinum level in Regent's Seven Seas Society program and do get free laundry and pressing. It is an amazing benefit. You not only get clothes washed during the cruise, you can have them washed and properly folded before you disembark. It did take 200 nights on Regent to reach this level.

On Silversea, you can get free laundry on your first cruise -- if you book a Silver Suite or higher. IMO, this is another great benefit.

Oceania is set up to be an ala carte cruise line. This way people do not pay for things they are not going to use. What is important to me may not be important to you. I would do almost anything not to enter a laundry room on a ship. I have no idea what happens to people when they are in the laundry room. They become angry, possessive, cruel people who will take your laundry out before it is dry, etc. IMO, it is the most distasteful part of the ship.

Most of my wash is cold water ... I have never had a problem on Oceania.

I do recall when my neighbor in Brooklyn Heights moved to London for 3 years (this is back in the early 1980s) the machines were pretty much all hot water.

Not on the ships.

As Lyn says!

Mura

Archived