Muster (emergency) drill

swixpat

Hi all

I've posted this on the cruise line page I am travelling with, but the reply was only partial.

So here I go.

We stay the first night in the port on the boat. Embarkation time is 3 pm, sailing the next day at 6 pm. When would the muster (emergency) drill take place?

Thanks

Makes since to have it after the all aboard time prior to sailing. If there was an emergency prior to that you would not need lifeboats so there's no need to know where the muster station is, just the exits!

By law, it has to take place within 24 hours of sailing. If you want information about when your cruise line does it, you will need to tell us what the cruise line is.

not anymore. since the costa ship sank its been changed to before sailing by every cruise line. the exception is if it would take place when its dark outside for some reason, then the muster drill can be delayed but they still must conduct a safety briefing before the ship sail.

Don't worry - it will happen and if you miss it, they will track you down and ensure that you participate.

DON

If you miss lifeboat drill on HAL, you do not sail. You will be told to leave the ship. It is absolutely mandatory and they make it well known that if you do not attend, you do not sail.

If you get on board before the cutoff boarding time, I'm pretty confident you can't accidentally miss muster. The whole ship stops everything until the muster is complete. Been that way on every cruise I've been on. Believe me, you can't accidentally miss the muster - it's loud and apparent everywhere on board.

If you get on board before the cutoff boarding time, I'm pretty confident you can't accidentally miss muster. The whole ship stops everything until the muster is complete. Been that way on every cruise I've been on. Believe me, you can't accidentally miss the muster - it's loud and apparent everywhere on board.

On my last cruise, they scanned everyone's sail card to verify everyone was "all present and accounted for".

If you miss lifeboat drill on HAL, you do not sail. You will be told to leave the ship. It is absolutely mandatory and they make it well known that if you do not attend, you do not sail.

Great idea but do they actually enforce it? Does anyone know or has seen someone kicked off the ship prior to sailing because they missed the drill.

DON

Great idea but do they actually enforce it? Does anyone know or has seen someone kicked off the ship prior to sailing because they missed the drill.

DON

well if I had to stand around because some clown was either too drunk or thought it funny not to show up wouldn't need the ship to kick him off.

DON

Yes -- early in 2012 a man on the Westerdam did not want to go to the lifeboat drill -- he was taken off the ship.

There was a thread about this on the HAL section.

It obviously varies from line to line, but on Princess on our last cruise our cruise cards were all scanned by crew members at the muster. That way they have proof of who has (or has not) attended the muster.

It obviously varies from line to line, but on Princess on our last cruise our cruise cards were all scanned by crew members at the muster. That way they have proof of who has (or has not) attended the muster.

On DCL, you checkin with the lifeboat captain when you report to the muster station. Before the drill starts, they do a "roll call" by room number of those who didn't checkin to be sure they are there.

How do they know you didn't make it to the drill ?

Because they have a roster at the muster station that each person's name is on. When you report they check your name that you attended. The newest and probably most common way now is that you have to present your Seapass, Sign and Sail card or what ever your cruiseline calls your cabin keycard and have it scanned. That is how it is being done on the Allure of the Seas and probably quite a few other Royal Caribbean ships.

DON

Yes. We know for sure they enforce it.

Life Boat Drill is conducted by Staff Officer (formerly Chief Officer on HAL) and they are VERY serious about it. They verify with each life boat commander who has taken a roll call and if anyone is missing, they are paged, they are advised to get their sorry selves to their life boat station and if they do not, they are removed from the ship. No appeal, no begging, no excuse other than critically ill and in that case, they are removed from the ship.

HAL takes it very seriously.

Back-to-backers do drill the start of their second segment as though they had never been on the ship.

huh?

For this cruise it starts with an overnight stay in Venice, so they will embark on day 1, but won't actually sail until the evening of day 2. So, the muster will be held shortly before sailing, on day 2. This means that the passengers will be free to settle in on board and then come and go from the ship into the city as they wish, without having to worry about missing the muster.

Archived