Skagway-Avis or green jeep?

afoss

You can pick up your own snacks in town, and be sure that you get exactly what you like, and spend a lot less than $45 on them, even with the steep prices in AK!

I'm sure the Nissan Altima we rented from Avis was a lot more comfortable than driving around in a Jeep too... but maybe some prefer that?

This is good to know because I thought I read the Avis place had moved and wasn't sure if it was still an easy walk. Thanks!

It is a fairly simple walk (coming from an out of shape 55+ year old female :D)

You get off the boat, walk to town and just after the tracks take a right, than at the next corner take a left and the office is housed in a hotel/motel room. I got in line at 7:30 behind two, my sister ran and got us each a coffee while we waited till 8 for them to open, we were in and out by 8:25 and on the way back to the boat to pick up my ailing brother than on the road we went! Stopped at the grocery store a few blocks to the other side of main street and had our cameras in hand for the whole drive. Car was comfortable and cheaper to than the jeep and much cheaper to fill at the end of the day.

This is good to know because I thought I read the Avis place had moved and wasn't sure if it was still an easy walk. Thanks!

With no mobility issues ALL of Skagway is an easy walk. Wait until you get there, then this will be clear. :)

Used Green Jeep last year.................Avis in the past..............Train on the first trip up.

The main thing about the Green Jeep is that you can take them Everywhere and they encourage you to do just that. You cannot take Avis off main roads; that includes into Dyea. We LOVED going in, seeing the OLD cemetery and old land plots, etc. for the first time in MANY times in Skagway. We (my son drove) even drove around the "World's Smallest Desert................which, of course, was off-road. It's all sand!

No, the anacks are NOT worth a lot.............a tiny cooler, two cans of beverage and "Halloween Size" candy (one each) and small bags of chips, really small ones (again, one each). But, it sounds good!

We were met on the dock and he took us up to their Office.

Last year we saved 5% if we paid in cash; don't know if it's the same this year.

Guess more money depends on your level of "fun"............and of information gathering. We really enjoyed being in Dyea.

It is a fairly simple walk (coming from an out of shape 55+ year old female :D)

You get off the boat, walk to town and just after the tracks take a right, than at the next corner take a left and the office is housed in a hotel/motel room. I got in line at 7:30 behind two, my sister ran and got us each a coffee while we waited till 8 for them to open, we were in and out by 8:25 and on the way back to the boat to pick up my ailing brother than on the road we went! Stopped at the grocery store a few blocks to the other side of main street and had our cameras in hand for the whole drive. Car was comfortable and cheaper to than the jeep and much cheaper to fill at the end of the day.

I will also need to pick someone up back at the ship with mobility issues. How close can you get to the ship, and is there a place to sit in the area you can pick up passengers?

I will also need to pick someone up back at the ship with mobility issues. How close can you get to the ship, and is there a place to sit in the area you can pick up passengers?

It depends on which ship and which dock, but I did that last year. Got quite close to the Railroad docks (the first one anyway!), parked the car for just a few minutes to pick up the other person. They will have to walk outside the secure area surrounding the ship for sure.

Ore and Broadway dock, you park right outside the ship. On the RR dock, they do use golf carts, to the end of the dock, there is a parking lot right there.

We are doing the jeep. mostly because it is my daughter's favorite vehicle in the world. Plus is adds to the whole outdoor adventure feel. Heck the kids will probably try to convince them to take the top off. :D We figured after the little things Green Jeep added in the price difference was minuscule.

Archived