The Grandeur Repositions to Baltimore

Sailing in 2 weeks. Can't wait to read your full review also. I was a bit apprehensive about hearing of the sewage smell on past reviews. Really hope it has been rectified. Cabin is on Deck 7 near elevators/stairs. Also wondering about noise from them, like bells ringing when elevator stops on that deck. Thanks.

I was on this cruise too and have written my review. Great ship, great crew, great ports. Wish they were doing this itinerary again. Only complaint is they ran out of iced tea on day 8. This ship sails and entertains like a big ship.

Will look for your review to read also. We were on this cruise too. While we had a great time and would like to sail on her again we definitely do not agree that it "sails and entertains like a big ship". Just our opinion!

We had a great time. Enjoyed meeting lots of nice folks. However, we were disappointed that the new menus won't be put in place until late May. We were disappointed about no escargot. We were very disappointed in the entertainment other than Max Dolcelli and the Centrum aerial entertainment. We thought some of the crew was exceptional while other members of the crew weren't quite up to the usual RC standards.

spookwife,

Coinky dink?? LOL... had to google that one:D Congrats!!!

We're still on our honeymoon!!!

Which is wierd cuz' we never really had one ...til our first cruise - our 25th in 2005.

Are you on the same cruise with us?

Mike

ours is 19 September( I have siggies turned off so if yours is listed, I can't see it)

I am aiming to match my grandparents': seventy one years... The in laws have their 50th 2 days after ours( my parents would have also hit 50 two days earlier if Mom were still around)

what is this honeymoon thing you speak of? Mr Spook was either haze grey or otherwise deployed for our first five anniversaries. Of course we made up for it by spending a lovely vacation in Hawai'i at the end of one of those deployments....

Were Back!! We docked just after 7 am today. We had a great cruise. You are going to love the Grandeur. It is smaller than some ships, but cozy.

As we planned for our repositioning cruise from San Juan, Puerto Rico to Baltimore, Maryland I looked for up-to-date information on the Grandeur. Most that was available was from before the refit last spring.

A number of people talked about sewer smells near the Centrum. I decided I would write a very long detailed overview of our cruise and the ship. The reposition cruise had a different itinerary than the normal routes, but, many of our ports of call are included in future cruises.

If you are not interested in the rest of the review, here is a brief description of the Grandeur. I did not smell any odors on any deck during the entire 9 days of the cruise. Our cabins was not far from the Centrum on deck 8--and we visited all of the decks.

Passengers in Aft JS mentioned that they had soot on their balconies. But, the cabin steward took care of this for them.

There are still many Latin American influences on this ship. The show, "Tango Buenos Aires" is not to be missed. They have a professional Tango couple onbaord. So take a lesson!:D

The Aerial show is on the last night and is very good. We saw them practicing new routines that were not part of the show. So, there will likely be more than one show in the future.

OK--time for me to leave the ship. I will start the review of the cruise when we get home.

Dragon,

It was great sailing with you. Thanks again for arranging the tours, etc. Look forward to reading your review.

We also were on deck 8 right at the Centrum (between stairs and elevator). We never had sewage smells in any part of the ship.

We were impressed with all of the new venues added during the refurbishment but were surprised to see rust on the outside and very weathered teak railings. We would have thought they would have painted the ship and redone the railings during the refurbishment. Also we're surprised they did not add the software to the in-cabin tvs allowing you to check your account, purchase shore ex, etc like the newer ships.

OK--I am home and will start off slowly. [those of you that were on this cruise jump in and add anything you wish as I go along.] We all had different perspectives depending on where we stayed.

Before I go on I want to say we had 118 people signed up for the Meet and Mingle on this cruise. Almost everyone showed up and 50 of us took a tour together in Samana. We had a slot pull and 28 people participated. The ship is small and by the end of the cruise I felt I knew many of the passengers. If you are sailing on the GOTS in the future, work at your roll call and it will enhance your enjoyment of the cruise.:)

I agree with Skiier Girl that the GOTS does not have all the bells and whistles of the bigger ships. There is a rock wall and that is about it. If you use the golf, trampoline, skating, etc on larger ships, you may miss them on the GOTS.

Day 1--

We left from the Pan American pier in San Juan, Puerto Rico on Wednesday April 24th. It was cloudy and looked like it would rain at any minute. But, a few sprinkles were all we saw. It was the worst weather we saw in 9 days. We had very good weather.

We arrived at 11:30 and easily got through the check in process. But, then we had to wait almost an hour for customs to clear the ship for us to board. We headed to the Windjammer for lunch. We did not have any trouble finding a seat. I felt the WJ was less crowded during breakfast and lunch than other ships we sailed. We never ate dinner in the WJ.

I think one reason for this is the Park Cafe in the Solarium. It splits the crowd. :) The Park Cafe serves pannini sandwiches, the famous roast beef sandwich, soups, desserts and a small salad bar. It was fast, easy and I felt I had eaten a healthier lunch when we ate there. There were quite a few tables--but, they did fill up quickly at lunch. the Cafe is open for breakfast and late night snacking.

Sorry--I did not take any pics of the Park Cafe or WJ.

After lunch we walked around the pool deck on the way to our cabin. It was not the best pool day.

P4240113_zps7e07f09b.jpg

They added a large movie screen during the refit. Many people have said they felt it would be too noisy or detract from pool time. I did not find this to be the case. Often there was no volume.

P4240112_zpsf124336b.jpg

Also, they used the screen to post the Cruise Compass, the room service menu and something about the next port of call. I found it to be useful. There were many times it showed aquatic scenes.

The solarium is a coverd space with a retractable roof. It was always nice and warm. On a couple of days they opened the roof. I really liked the Solarium. But, I was never able to get a chair. The water did not appear to be heated.

P4240108_zpsb2c9bd25.jpg

There is a bar.

P4240109_zps5bafd219.jpg

We thought some of the crew was exceptional while other members of the crew weren't quite up to the usual RC standards.

I agree that there were a few issues on this cruise. I felt most of these were caused by too many new crew all at the same time and the difference in serving mostly Americans vs mostly Latinos.

For example when we arrived on the ship only one bar was open. No one was walking around selling drinks. It seemed deserted. We heard an announcment reminding new crew members of the inservice in the conference room.

Also, they were paracticing with the life boats and most of the crew were involved in some way. I think they had all of the lifeboats in the water. [i usually see just a couple] By around 3pm or so they made an announcement releasing most of the crew.

P4240118_zps2f34ad6e.jpg

Another view of the drill.

P4240119_zps6d3544bc.jpg

During the first day or two when we asked crew members questions they often replied that they had only been on the ship 2 days or 5 days [since it left Panama].

The Cruise Director was Jimmy Rhoades.[Alabama] He was new, as was a good part of his staff.

Here is another example. They ran out of iced tea for the last 2 nights in the MDR. DH is a tea drinker. The assistant waiter brought him a glass that looked like weak apple juice. She told him it was "home made." I never realized the tea was loaded aboard the ship in jugs. So, when they ran out someone made some with tea bags. I could see how the first night this would be an issue. But, wouldn't you think they could have found someone who knew how to make iced tea? Nope--still looked like apple juice. Our waiter could see that DH was not drinking it. So, he brought him a Coke without being asked.

They learned the lesson that Americans drink lots of iced tea. I bet they load more tea for the next cruise. LOL

Here are a few more pool deck pictures from a sunny day. You can see it got really crowded. [i missed the pool deck on the Enchantment of the Seas. Sigh!]

The pool was a salt water pool. [someone asked about that in a previous thread] It was not heated.

Here is another view of the movie screen:

P4280184_zpse31c9f74.jpg

P4280185_zpsc853a9e8.jpg

There were 4 hot tubs by the main pool.

P4280186_zps1a059822.jpg

Toilet wouldn't always flush when the button was pushed - but you would hear it flush itself a short time later.

Elevator buttons had most of the numbers worn off and keypads are low on the wall - so a lot of bending down to figure out which button to push.

We also had 3 times during the cruise where we pushed the flush button and it took a few minutes for the swoosh.

One of the two glass elevators in the Centrum [the only 2 that go to the Viking Crown Lounge] worked when it felt like it. Sometimes you would get on and it did not move. Other times it would go down 2 floors and then go back up.:confused: I stopped using it. It is the one on the left as you look at the glass elevators.

Happy Anniversary Mike! We will be sailing her again next January!:)

Thanks Paula!!!

ours is 19 September( I have siggies turned off so if yours is listed, I can't see it)

I am aiming to match my grandparents': seventy one years... The in laws have their 50th 2 days after ours( my parents would have also hit 50 two days earlier if Mom were still around)

what is this honeymoon thing you speak of? Mr Spook was either haze grey or otherwise deployed for our first five anniversaries. Of course we made up for it by spending a lovely vacation in Hawai'i at the end of one of those deployments....

Here's the deal...It's not about how long you're together...It's about keepn' the special feeling that you started with...

I've seen couples who wqere together 50 years , but couldn't stand each other:eek:There's something better than that..............

Mike

The photo of the cruise compass on the big screen- isn't the kid on the bottom left

of the screen the first one in the belly flop competition? He was entertaining in that,

and a good belly flopper- he got second even though he was 160lb. I had a good video of that.

Here are a few more pool deck pictures from a sunny day. You can see it got really crowded. [i missed the pool deck on the Enchantment of the Seas. Sigh!]

The pool was a salt water pool. [someone asked about that in a previous thread] It was not heated.

Here is another view of the movie screen:

P4280184_zpse31c9f74.jpg

P4280185_zpsc853a9e8.jpg

There were 4 hot tubs by the main pool.

P4280186_zps1a059822.jpg

I did have occasional sewage smells in my cabin and also noticed a slight whiff walking the hall. I was on deck 3 forward. Another person I met who was on deck 2 aft said she also had sewage smells.

Toilet wouldn't always flush when the button was pushed - but you would hear it flush itself a short time later.

:rolleyes: Perhaps they were serving too many bean dishes for dinner?:D:D:DThat also happened to us on the Enchantment this time.....quite annoying till we figured out that we had to open the tap in the sink for the magic flush to work. We did not have this problem on the Enchantment BEFORE the refit!:rolleyes: What wasn't broken they broke and what needed to be broken and redone, was left alone!

Elevator buttons had most of the numbers worn off and keypads are low on the wall - so a lot of bending down to figure out which button to push.

:rolleyes: yeah!

Dragon of the Seas, I am looking forward to reading your review. Thanks for posting the pictures too! We will be on the 10 night Western Caribbean in January.....hope they fix the Delayed Flush by then!:D

I did have occasional sewage smells in my cabin and also noticed a slight whiff walking the hall. I was on deck 3 forward. Another person I met who was on deck 2 aft said she also had sewage smells.

I was on Deck 2 aft and never had any sewage smells, nor anywhere else on the ship and I did a TON of walking around. I guess if you try to smell it really hard, you will, lol

have to agree with the toilet thing, flush it wait a few mins and then swoooosh! Luckily, it was not every time, just a bit sporadic.

Dragon OTS~Thanks for this review and great pix. Looking forward to reading the rest. We're sailing on the Grandeur to Bermuda then end of the month~can't wait!! Thanks for the warning about the flushing situation.:rolleyes:~Claudia

Several people asked about the location of the Diamond and Concierge Lounges. Alas, I have not reached that rare air, yet. But, Here are your pics.:) There were 1200 Crown and Anchor members on this cruise. I do not remember the exact # of Diamond and D+ cruiser. However, it was around 175 of each. There were 4 Pinnacles.

Neither lounge was large enough to hold these numbers. The South Pacific Lounge was used as the Diamond Lounge each evening. I saw part of the Viking Crown Lounge roped off one eveing. I think this was the CL overflow.

This is not a very clear picture, but you can see they created the Diamond Lounge by taking a section of the South Pacific Lounge.

P4240128_zps9fc492fe.jpg

Door to Diamond Lounge--

P4240130_zps70e50d34.jpg

A nice view inside--

P4240133_zps11ea745f.jpg

Last of the Diamond Lounge pics--

P4240132_zps25dd80f2.jpg

CL-- I scoped it out before anyone got there. I counted 28 seats. It was near the Viking Crown Lounge.

P4240126_zps37711ce0.jpg

Sailing in 2 weeks. Can't wait to read your full review also. I was a bit apprehensive about hearing of the sewage smell on past reviews. Really hope it has been rectified. Cabin is on Deck 7 near elevators/stairs. Also wondering about noise from them, like bells ringing when elevator stops on that deck. Thanks.

The elevator dings are VERY soft. That will not bother you. A few times I was standing waiting for an elevator and missed it because I did not hear it. [there is nothing wrong with my hearing]:p

One couple mentioned to me that they heard music from the Centrum in their cabin. All of the shows in the Centrum are over by 11pm.

I was on Deck 2 aft and never had any sewage smells, nor anywhere else on the ship and I did a TON of walking around. I guess if you try to smell it really hard, you will, lol

I wasn't really trying hard to smell it - was watching tv before going to bed and all of a sudden...BIG stink :eek: This happened off and on for one night (the night if the 1st sea day) and occassionally on other days. It didn't last long - maybe a minute or so, but that one night must have happened at least 15 times.

The day after departure was our first port of call-- Philipsburg, St Maarten [9:00am-6:00pm]

The port area:

P4250136_zpsfe60b996.jpg

Port shops:

P4250137_zpsacc4553d.jpg

Phillipsburg is across the Great Bay from the cruise port. You can access it by water taxi or land taxi.

P4250130_zpsd0f39c2c.jpg

We had visited St Maarten twice before so we did not feel we wanted an island tour. We took a taxi to Divi Little Bay Resort [$10 for up to 2 passemgers or $4 pp for 3 or more]. I had emailed the resort prior to our visit and they confirmed that they welcomed cruise visitors.

P4250135_zps8bf23d64.jpg

We rented chairs, which we placed under a large palm tree [$5pp], and had a nice beach day.

P4250129_zps21d58ebf.jpg

Several people asked about the location of the Diamond and Concierge Lounges. Alas, I have not reached that rare air, yet. But, Here are your pics.:) There were 1200 Crown and Anchor members on this cruise. I do not remember the exact # of Diamond and D+ cruiser. However, it was around 175 of each. There were 4 Pinnacles.

Neither lounge was large enough to hold these numbers. The South Pacific Lounge was used as the Diamond Lounge each evening. I saw part of the Viking Crown Lounge roped off one eveing. I think this was the CL overflow.

This is not a very clear picture, but you can see they created the Diamond Lounge by taking a section of the South Pacifc Lounge]

Dragon,

I think I recall it being something like 4 Pinnacle, 49 DP, and 149 Diamond. I may be wrong but I do not believe the was an overflow for concierge as there were always empty seats in there in the evening. I believe the one night you saw a roped off area in the Viking Crown was the evening of the suite party.

(Again, I could be wrong.)

I wasn't really trying hard to smell it - was watching tv before going to bed and all of a sudden...BIG stink :eek: This happened off and on for one night (the night if the 1st sea day) and occassionally on other days. It didn't last long - maybe a minute or so, but that one night must have happened at least 15 times.

What cabin did you have? Glad you didn't have to smell that the entire cruise!

Thank you DragonLady for the great review - we're so excited to be sailing a B2B2B in June. Hopefully, they'll work out all of the kinks by then!

What cabin did you have? Glad you didn't have to smell that the entire cruise!

I was in 3023. It wasn't as bad as some of the older reviews made it out to be....but it was there every so often. Didn't really impact my cruise as it only lasted a few minutes. It wasn't in the Centrum at all.

I don't know the cabin # of the lady on Deck 2 aft.

It seems like it was just a sporadic thing maybe hitting only a few places and if you weren't there when it did, you wouldn't even know about any smell.

Archived