The Grandeur Repositions to Baltimore

We got off the Grandeur yesterday. Seconds on lobster was served at no extra cost.

wow - good for you! This is just one more example of how inaccurate our staff was during the whole cruise. (although they might have told them to do that just for our repo cruise.)

We love cruising from Baltimore, and are looking forward to sailing on the Grandeur in July. As far as the lobster issue, I'm wondering if the up charge was for the Maine lobster option that was added to the MDR menu, not the "lobster night" fare.

"White-Out Party" and buffet??? That's a new one for me.:confused: What is it about? Please do tell.:p

Delta--I did not attend this event--so I will tell you waht it said in the Cruise Compass and what another roll call member told me.

Dancing Under the Stars--"White Party" Limbo contest, dancing and crazy fun. 11:00pm-1:00am poolside deck 9. Hosted by Cruise Director's Staff and the Roots Vibration Dance Band.

The person who described it to me said it was a good dance party. She wore white, but, not too many other pax did. She said the photographers seemed to follow those around that wore white.

Also listed --Pool Buffet 11:30pm to 12:30am [i think this was like the old dessert buffet they used to have one night] :confused:

I hope someone else from our cruise will jump in here and give a better description.

Thanks so much for all of the pictures!!! They were AWESOME!!! I cannot wait for our embarkation day. Finally less than 100 days!! Woo Hoo .. And if anyone has any royal family suite pics to post that would be even more awesome cause we are staying in an aft one and I cant wait to just sit and watch the ships wake ... ahh ... well Happy Mothers Day to all the mommies out there (people and pet)!!!! Bahamas here we come!! Livin the pirate life! Arrrrhhhh! If you're on our cruise just look for the pirate flag... it'll be us!!

The "White-Out Party" sounds just like the usual Caribbean night party or dancing under the stars that is usually held. Maybe the 'white' thing is more South American. Thanx for the explanation.;)

Yes, it's the same thing. Out of Colon the clientele has plenty of white to wear, since it's a staple in the Latin wardrobe, so we didn't see too many people who were not wearing white. I wondered if the event is being themed fleetwide, however, since the Majesty advised to "dress in white" for the nighttime deck party on the cruise I took last October.

It bears no similarity to NCLs White Hot Nights party, since that happens in the main dance lounge and it features an appearance by the Ship 'N Males.

Thanks so much for all of the pictures!!! They were AWESOME!!! I cannot wait for our embarkation day. Finally less than 100 days!! Woo Hoo .. And if anyone has any royal family suite pics to post that would be even more awesome cause we are staying in an aft one and I cant wait to just sit and watch the ships wake ... ahh ... well Happy Mothers Day to all the mommies out there (people and pet)!!!! Bahamas here we come!! Livin the pirate life! Arrrrhhhh! If you're on our cruise just look for the pirate flag... it'll be us!!

We did not have anyone from our cabin crawl in a RFS. I would love to see pictures, too. We hope you will post them when you return.

There is a real lack on information about Grandeur since she sailed from Europe and then Panama. But, that is changing.

Congrats on your cruise. Wehn the magic number gets to below 100 you know it is coming up soon.

Have fun.

I think I have the answer to the "lobster mystery." The lobster with an upcharge that appears on the menu each night is a whole lobster whereas the lobster served as a regular menu on formal night is a lobster tail with shrimp (Fisherman's Platter?)

You can generally get as many of the lobster tails as you want but the poster is correct that your waiter will want to bring you an entire meal instead of a lobster tail only. A waiter explained to me that this is because the plates are already prepared in the kitchen and single lobster tails are not available to the them. He said that a supervisor is right there making sure that the entire plate is taken. This, he explained, was to maintain "uniformity of presentation". I agree it sounds like a horrible waste of food but I have found this to be the case across all cruise lines. That said, our waiter on last week's Grandeur cruise was able to get my Dad a double appetizer on one plate on two occasions. Go figure.

Grandeur of the Seas arriving into Port Canaveral right now!!

www.portcanaveralwebcam.com

Just watched Grandeur sail into Port Canaveral. Can see the Windjammer from balcony as she is docked at East Terminal with 3 other ships in on Sunday. Makes we want to cruise when I have to see her all day. Wonder what time she leaves tonight.

I think I have the answer to the "lobster mystery." The lobster with an upcharge that appears on the menu each night is a whole lobster whereas the lobster served as a regular menu on formal night is a lobster tail with shrimp (Fisherman's Platter?)

You can generally get as many of the lobster tails as you want but the poster is correct that your waiter will want to bring you an entire meal instead of a lobster tail only. A waiter explained to me that this is because the plates are already prepared in the kitchen and single lobster tails are not available to the them. He said that a supervisor is right there making sure that the entire plate is taken. This, he explained, was to maintain "uniformity of presentation". I agree it sounds like a horrible waste of food but I have found this to be the case across all cruise lines. That said, our waiter on last week's Grandeur cruise was able to get my Dad a double appetizer on one plate on two occasions. Go figure.

For the repositioning cruise that ended in Baltimore, the lobster that was upcharged was not the Maine lobster, it was the Fisherman's plate that you describe. We were allowed only one plate, if we wanted a second there would be a charge. I cannot tell you the charge but someone said $22. My husband had to send his first plate back as it was so terrible, the second one was passable, but certainly would not have paid extra for another plate.

I think that perhaps RCCL was going to start to charge for second and more Fisherman's plates and they tried it out on us repositioning people and found out that everyone felt nickeled and dimed so they reconsidered this plan.

We also found that in Chops, if you wanted a second dessert you would have to pay an additional charge over and above the $35 you paid to dine there. Crazy

I would not accept any of these unusual descriptions as the norm going into the future. The reposition cruise had many new crew who still needed to learn what to do.

Also, as I mentioned earlier this was the first time the kitchen had put out the Fisherman's platter [lobster]. They do not serve it on the European cruise the Grandeur sailed last spring, nor the Panama cruises last winter/fall. They had not cooked enough lobster originally and were playing catch up. The waiter may not have known the difference in the 2 types of lobster.

They are in the second additional cruise, now. I am sure they have figured out what they need to do.

I have booked a cruise for next spring on the GOTS. I doubt I will see any of these issues.

First have to say thank you for the great review...and was so good to see Terry we had his tour when we went on a southern cruise. He is the best! Was so wild for us to go all the way there and to find out he had grown up near Pittsburgh where we only live 2 hrs away. My husband had lost his watch on the falls...well what do you expect when you go jumping off falls...I some day would love to return there. Is his wife still making her lamar jewelry?

Hello Everyone,

I do agree w/what everyone said, about this cruise, Seaing is beleiving:confused:

But going back to dinner about the lobster nite, Our waiter said that if we wanted another one, it would cost "$22.00", and this was the first time, I have ever been told, 'that there would be a cost to a second tail', but the one we had was more than enough for us- and I do beleive he was very serious. He was a very good waiter and we had a great cabin guy .

The Grandeur of the Seas does have a great Itinerary and is in a super port-, Baltimore- but they do need to update it a bit and fix those sinks:eek:

I really hope this will not be the case of the lobster..my DH would be so upset!

We got off the Grandeur yesterday. Seconds on lobster was served at no extra cost.

I hope when we go in Jan 2014 that there is no charge!

We also stopped at a “Bakery.” The bread was good. Almost all of us bought a hot loaf for $1. Likely it cost 10 cents on a normal day. LOL] She baked the dough with charcoal above the pan and below the pan.

Actually the bread costs 75 cents on a normal day and other bakers sell this bread in town for around $1.50 a loaf. Love the photos by the way!!

Actually the bread costs 75 cents on a normal day and other bakers sell this bread in town for around $1.50 a loaf. Love the photos by the way!!

Wow, I was just writing my review of our stop at Samana last week, which on the Jewel of the Seas! I am so unhappy I didn't know about your tours before we sailed. I think we saw you on the pier - a celebrity!

We absolutely loved our time in Samana. We might need to come back just to take one of your tours!

Terry--good to hear from you. We all loved your tour. :) I was not complaining about the price. $1 for a loaf of bread is always good. Especially made with the coconut milk. Yum!!

My comment had more to do with a comment from Tom regarding the scooter/taxi. [looked like a rickshaw attached to scooter] He said on cruise days it was $20 and $1 the rest of the time. :p

Wow, I was just writing my review of our stop at Samana last week, which on the Jewel of the Seas! I am so unhappy I didn't know about your tours before we sailed. I think we saw you on the pier - a celebrity!

We absolutely loved our time in Samana. We might need to come back just to take one of your tours!

We all loved Samana, too. We wamt to go back and take another tour.

Hi Terry,

We too loved your excursion-- It was great, the bread was delicious, the only thing I was sorta disapointed was, that we did not get to meet You;-), I heard you were from Pittsburgh, and was really looking forward into meeting you, but it was a bit busy that day, and it was best for us, not paying to stay in the bus (r spouse had to go in and pay:)

But it was an adventure, and we all loved it, Great Job!

SueA

For the repositioning cruise that ended in Baltimore, the lobster that was upcharged was not the Maine lobster, it was the Fisherman's plate that you describe. We were allowed only one plate, if we wanted a second there would be a charge. I cannot tell you the charge but someone said $22. My husband had to send his first plate back as it was so terrible, the second one was passable, but certainly would not have paid extra for another plate.

Just a heads-up--we left the Grandeur this morning (sailed on the 5/17 cruise to Bermuda) and our group had a similar experience. Two people in our party ordered the Fisherman's plate and one sent it back because it smelled fishy, and the other said that it was "not good quality" lobster, but ate it anyway.

Just a heads-up--we left the Grandeur this morning (sailed on the 5/17 cruise to Bermuda) and our group had a similar experience. Two people in our party ordered the Fisherman's plate and one sent it back because it smelled fishy, and the other said that it was "not good quality" lobster, but ate it anyway.

I find that food is always a subjective thing. Something that I like someone else may say is terrible. [or vice versa] DH and I thought the lobster was very good. They seemed to be bigger than I remember from our cruises last fall.

The GOTS is now on its 3rd cruise since it returned to Baltimore. Hopefully, the issues they have had are working themselves out.

Archived