Ordering extras in Blu

ag12345687910

We're sailing AQ in May. On our last cruise w/ Royal, we were able to ask for extras of any entree. For instance, on formal night, my husband asked for another lobster tail and they brought him out 2 more.

Could we do that in blu?

It's possible, but you'd be better off asking when they take the order. Food in Blu is not as mass-produced so it is not as easy for the server to just grab another entree like they can in the MDR. We've re-ordered a few times when something wasn't to our liking and it seems to take longer to get another dish in Blu compared to the MDR.

We're sailing AQ in May. On our last cruise w/ Royal, we were able to ask for extras of any entree. For instance, on formal night, my husband asked for another lobster tail and they brought him out 2 more.

Could we do that in blu?

no problem ask , if they can, they will, was eating in Blu from April 14 to April 28

Food in Blu is not as mass-produced so it is not as easy for the server to just grab another entree like they can in the MDR.

Is this fact or fantasy?

OP, it should be no problem, just order the extras upfront.

Is this fact or fantasy?

OP, it should be no problem, just order the extras upfront.

Blu is more like a restaurant in that most items are cooked to order. The MDR is like a banquet hall where everything is prepared in advance and pre-plated irrespective of specific orders. While Blu is just as accommodating in providing additional courses, it definitely is easier to order upfront rather than to do so mid-meal. Both would generally be accommodated, but when ordered upfront it makes it much easier for the staff as well as less of a wait for the patron.

Is it possible to have different sides substitued since things are made to order? Like instead of grilled artichockes, can I just omit that and have salad? Is it possible to ask for no added salt in things they are freshly cooking? I understand that some things, sauces, etc...would have that already added, but for things that don't?

Is it possible to have different sides substitued since things are made to order? Like instead of grilled artichockes, can I just omit that and have salad? Is it possible to ask for no added salt in things they are freshly cooking? I understand that some things, sauces, etc...would have that already added, but for things that don't?

In my experience over four cruises in AQ and dining in Blu you can pretty much have your dinner prepared and served as you want when you order. My wife has a specific food allergy and the staff in Blu would always accommodate. They would also accommodate special requests; one of our friends did not like baked potatoes so requested and received french fries with dinner. I found that the staff went out of their way to make sure everyone was happy. I hope this is still the case, we leave for our next foray in Blu in nine days so we'll find out.:D

Sides are probably no problem, but if you need no salt added then I'd discuss that with the maitre d' the first night of your cruise, or even ASAP after boarding in order to have something prepared specially for you the first night. While items are cooked to order in Blu I doubt if they are cooked completely from scratch ingredients for every order. More likely sauces, seasonings and marinades are prepared in advance. But in the MDR I know that those on a special diet, including low sodium, can order a night in advance to have items specially prepared for the following night and I'm sure they'd do the same in Blu.

We do eat a lower salt diet, but never to the extent we special order at restaurants or on a cruise. But I will say that because of this we have a pretty good idea of salt content in food from taste and/or our reactions and we did not find the food in Blu nearly as salty as the food we've had in the MDR.

We just got off the Solstice 18 days cruise. We always get extras specially for desserts. Some waiter even suggested that we tried the other dishes. So, most of the time we would order our own plates and have something to share in the middle.

On the formal night (lobster) we hinted at our waiter and asked how big were the lobsters (we already knew from the table closed by). He replied right away that he will bring two lobsters each for us.

Blu is more like a restaurant in that most items are cooked to order. The MDR is like a banquet hall where everything is prepared in advance and pre-plated irrespective of specific orders. While Blu is just as accommodating in providing additional courses, it definitely is easier to order upfront rather than to do so mid-meal. Both would generally be accommodated, but when ordered upfront it makes it much easier for the staff as well as less of a wait for the patron.

I have never had a problem in the MDR with specific orders (ie variations on menu items). The dessert I have every night is not even on the menu but after the first request I get it every night. I find they are very flexible and cater to specific food (ie allergies) very well with discussions every evening regarding the next nights menu. I think both the MDR and BLU look after their customers equally well with specific requests.

Having eaten in Blu on a half dozen cruises I believe each plate is put together after you place you order, but I find it hard to believe each serving of rack of lamb, ahi tuna, filet, etc. are cooked to order.

Does anyone know or recall any of the items on the first night?

We always order the filet on the first night - there are other entrees of course but the filet is as good as you get in the Tuscan Grille without the additional charge!

• 11 months later...
We always order the filet on the first night - there are other entrees of course but the filet is as good as you get in the Tuscan Grille without the additional charge!

I would have to agree with this. Everyone at our table of six orders the filet, and they almost always come done as you request, (i.e. you can get a real medium-rare).

We never book a specialty restaurant on the first night, if we are staying in Aquaclass, regardless of the discount being offered.

We were recently on Millie in Blu and the kitchen is shared with the MDR on M class ships. As others have said, order at the beginning if you wish extras as there could be delays esp during busy periods. The staff are excellent in accomodating your desires, but are limited to the kitchen capabilities. I have been told by other PAX that the S class ships dont suffer the problems we had. Unfortunately ourselves and alot of others could never get a true medium rare at anytime. Apparently there was a change of chef which caused problems - why one chef can cause this , I dont know. Breakfasts on the other hand were faultless - worth the extra in its own right IMO

While items are cooked to order in Blu I doubt if they are cooked completely from scratch ingredients for every order. More likely sauces, seasonings and marinades are prepared in advance.

As always, Larry's right. Food is mostly cooked in advance...believe me you would not want to wait for short ribs to be prepared for your order from scratch :) Vegetables are par-boiled and so on. What's different in Blu is that dishes are finished for your order so they can more easily modify to your desires...and your dish is hot..it hasn't been sitting forever on a counter under heat lamps waiting for your waiter.

Yes, they do have a section of the MDR kitchen that can do similar things, but it's more limited and delivering hot meals for the entire table at once can be iffy.

I agree with everyone that you can order seconds or change dishes very easily and generally quickly in Blu.

Sorry. Trying not to hijack but I have a blu question and thought I'd piggyback this. What if I want something from the MDR menu at blu on solstice. I like the idea of blu, and since we're leaving in a couple days and are AQ, we'll be eating there a lot...but I'm big sure the menu will work for me all week. Any chance if I see something I'd line from the MDR menu that they'd bring it for me!

The correct answer is sometimes. Depends on the staff on your cruise. Officially, the answer is no, but sometimes they find a way to do it. Ask and be prepared to accept no..or be happy if they say yes.

I know they will provide anything on the anytime menu from the MDR which is not on the Blu menu like shrimp cocktail or French Onion Soup but I don't think it would be appropriate to ask for an Entree from the MDR. While they may accommodate you it would mean a staff member has to go to the MDR to get it for you. Maybe on M class this isn't a big deal but on S class it's quite a distance.

If you want something from the MDR menu you can always do it via room service and have a nice dinner in your cabin.

The Blu menu has a nice variety which changes daily. One thing I've done when one of the Entree's doesn't please is ask to have an Entree size of one of the appetizers or the dinner salad. Day 7 the salad has tenderloin, I ask for it as an Entree where it comes out with 3 slices of tenderloin and ask them to add asparagus as the veggie. They always accommodate.

Sorry but another question then...how/where can you see the menus for that day prior to going to the MDR or blu?

They are posted outside the dining rooms at about noon each day.

I was encouraged to order two entrees the couple of nights I ordered from the vegetarian menu. I think the waiter was afraid I would dislike the veggie entree. Turned out that the veggie entrees were among my favorite things of the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums