Bringing food back to the States from Canada

tomc

Is it legal to bring food (specifically, jars of preserves) back to the United States of USA from Canada? I did it last year without attempting to hide it in my bag under dirty clothes.

But I do remember not being able to disembark in the Cape of Breton while licking my ice cream cone. Wasn't a case of national security (I mean, how many fishermen can you disable with a vanilla cone?) as much as fouling their country, eh?, with foodstuffs from the original Tea Party colony where the all the harbor needed was some sugar and milk.

But I digress.

Can I bring in four jars of pineapple preserves bought from a local (Sydney) purveyor, or am I risking a one-way trip to Gitmo?

I leave in three weeks for a b2b on the Maasdam, where RuthC (no relation) will join me for the "down" segment.

I think you can bring back jars of pineapple preserves to the US but I would check the US regulations to be sure.

When we travel to the US, we are forbidden from bringing pretty much anything other than junk food to the US. Typically, we cannot bring fruit that was originally shipped from the US, and purchased in Canada. Now that probably includes the pineapple since, to my knowledge, no one actually grows pineapple in Canada. However, since you're going to be bringing it back in a different form (preserves) I would think it would be okay. We have taken many a jar of jams and jellies to the US.

To be sure, check with your border services website. That would be the safest thing to do.

We go to the states regularly .you cannot bring citrus back in the states . Most picnic food is ok .anything sealed is ok or vacuum packed ...if you cut te food up its ok ..means fast consumption

We do lots of grocery shopping in .US and we are. Aloowed to bring it back

I brought back honey from Greece ...used it all winter ..it was in a glass jar ...no problem

I leave in three weeks for a b2b on the Maasdam, where RuthC (no relation) will join me for the "down" segment.

She's looking forward to visiting with you. It's been too long.

We go to the states regularly .you cannot bring citrus back in the states . Most picnic food is ok .anything sealed is ok or vacuum packed ...if you cut te food up its ok ..means fast consumption

We do lots of grocery shopping in .US and we are. Aloowed to bring it back

I brought back honey from Greece ...used it all winter ..it was in a glass jar ...no problem

I got a kick out of your post..When I was very young & stayed with an Aunt & Uncle for the summer in Morristown, N.Y. my Mom would travel by train from Long Island to visit..We would take the ferry from Ogdensburg to Brockville to purchase special shoes for me..They were less expensive in Canada..

Years later, when I was first married & we moved to Detroit my DH worked for an advertising company which dealt with the Auto industry..I had to give up my job in N.Y. & learn to get by on one salary..My food budget was $25.00 per week..I would go to a produce market & then cross over to Windsor to do my food shopping as prices were much less expensive in your country..

Now it seems to be reversed..LOL

Cheers...:)Betty

I am a Nexus card holder (fast pass thru custom) and suppose to know what I can/cannot bring crossing both borders. ;) However, the restriction changes often (country of origin also makes a difference), very few people could keep up. Kazu's link is excellent. Generally, perserved/can goods are no problem. Meats(even in preserved/cook form)/fresh fruits,veggies check the website.

I am a Nexus card holder (fast pass thru custom) and suppose to know what I can/cannot bring crossing both borders. ;) However, the restriction changes often (country of origin also makes a difference), very few people could keep up. Kazu's link is excellent. Generally, perserved/can goods are no problem. Meats(even in preserved/cook form)/fresh fruits,veggies check the website.

I have a nexus card too and I'm not good with knowing either. Guess I shouldn't admit it or they might revoke it:o.

I've given up bring food with me when I travel into the US. Every time I went they seem to have changed the rules. But here are a few tips that might help you...

Don't even both with fresh fruits or veggies and/or any meat products. Sometimes I suspect they are making up new rules to justify having me open my cooler.

Most packaged goods seem fine, but be sure they say were they were manufactured on the label.

sapper1 --

On a geographical note, it is called Cape Breton and not Cape of Breton.

You must not have read my continuing series of "Live from the Maasdam" posts over the years. Little touches like that sprinkle throughout the threads. Likewise my mention, above, of "United States of USA."

I might do another one of those this cruise when I am on the boat.

Quite often we drive across the border into Canada to buy a special salad dressing we can't get here in the States. Since it needs to be kept refridgerated, we have a large cooler in our trunk that we fill with ice and we'll bring back 20 jars at a time along with candy bars from my childhood that we also can't get here.

First few times the border guard looked at us as if we were nuts and asked to open the trunk and the cooler. I think now our license plate must come up with a message that says "Yes, these two kooks really are just buying salad dressing" :D They haven't looked in our trunk the last 5 or 6 times.

Quite often we drive across the border into Canada to buy a special salad dressing we can't get here in the States. Since it needs to be kept refridgerated, we have a large cooler in our trunk that we fill with ice and we'll bring back 20 jars at a time along with candy bars from my childhood that we also can't get here.

First few times the border guard looked at us as if we were nuts and asked to open the trunk and the cooler. I think now our license plate must come up with a message that says "Yes, these two kooks really are just buying salad dressing" :D They haven't looked in our trunk the last 5 or 6 times.

What kind of special salad dressing do you buy? Makes me want to try it since you go all the way to Canada to get it. :)

A lot of people from the Vancouver area buy groceries in Washington since a lot of things are cheaper including but not limited to meat, eggs and dairy. We tell the border guards we bought groceries and they just wave us through. But it is always good to check the official government websites to be sure.

What kind of special salad dressing do you buy? Makes me want to try it since you go all the way to Canada to get it. :)

A lot of people from the Vancouver area buy groceries in Washington since a lot of things are cheaper including but not limited to meat, eggs and dairy. We tell the border guards we bought groceries and they just wave us through. But it is always good to check the official government websites to be sure.

Is there a limit on how much you can spend and bring back or

on how often you can buy your groceries across the border?

Is there a limit on how much you can spend and bring back or

on how often you can buy your groceries across the border?

Canadians returning from US are allowed to :

$200 tax exempt goods if in US for 24-48 hours

$800 if > 72 hours.

there are exceptions to these exemptions - eg alcohol and tobacco products have very specific rules. I don't know any exceptions about "grocery", but suspect it could subject to tax.

Americans returning from Canada encounters very similar rules:the $200/800 pending length of stay. So theoretically, those salad dressing could be taxed on a short day trip!? So don't quite rush to upgrade and supersize your coolers yet.:D

After crossing the land border (Vancouver/Blain) dozens of times in years. I observe some interesting phenomenon: American Custom officers seldom care about taxing Canadian goods; they don't ask about how much I bought and brought from Canada, but almost always ask about food/agricultural items (salad dressing excepted). Canadian Custom seldom care about my American food stuff, but always ask about the value of my American goods (to tax), and has special "fondness" for firearms questions.

Renee's Mighty Ceaser dressing. I've tried the other Renee's dressings and didn't think they were anything special - but the Mighty Ceaser is fantastic!! Several of our friends are into it now as well, so we have quite a few jars to get while we're up there.

Renee's Mighty Ceaser dressing. I've tried the other Renee's dressings and didn't think they were anything special - but the Mighty Ceaser is fantastic!! Several of our friends are into it now as well, so we have quite a few jars to get while we're up there.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to try that one. They used to make a ginger dressing that was so good but they don't make it anymore:mad:.

What are my personal exemptions?

As a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident returning to Canada, duties and taxes are applicable on all purchases unless you qualify for a personal exemption. Personal exemptions allow you to bring goods of a certain value into the country without paying the regular duties. If you have been outside Canada for:

• Less than 24 hours, Personal exemptions do not apply to same-day cross-border shoppers;
  • 24 hours or more, you can bring in CAN$200 worth of goods free of duty and tax;

If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$200 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead you have to pay full applicable duties and taxes on all goods you bring in.

• 48 hours or more, you can bring in CAN$800 worth of goods free of duty and tax;

Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products and manufactured tobacco. For more information, visit the sections called "Alcoholic beverages" and "Tobacco products" on our Internet site.

• 7 days or more, you can bring in CAN$800 worth of goods free of duty and tax. Goods may be in your possession at time of entry to Canada but are also permitted to follow entry to Canada (via courier, mail or delivery agency).

Young children and infants are also entitled to a personal exemption. As a parent or guardian, you can make a declaration to the CBSA for a child as long as the goods you are declaring are for the child's use. Children are not entitled to alcohol or tobacco exemptions.

You should have all purchases made abroad and your receipts readily available.

Canadians returning from US are allowed to :

$200 tax exempt goods if in US for 24-48 hours

$800 if > 72 hours.

there are exceptions to these exemptions - eg alcohol and tobacco products have very specific rules. I don't know any exceptions about "grocery", but suspect it could subject to tax.

Americans returning from Canada encounters very similar rules:the $200/800 pending length of stay. So theoretically, those salad dressing could be taxed on a short day trip!? So don't quite rush to upgrade and supersize your coolers yet.:D

After crossing the land border (Vancouver/Blain) dozens of times in years. I observe some interesting phenomenon: American Custom officers seldom care about taxing Canadian goods; they don't ask about how much I bought and brought from Canada, but almost always ask about food/agricultural items (salad dressing excepted). Canadian Custom seldom care about my American food stuff, but always ask about the value of my American goods (to tax), and has special "fondness" for firearms questions.

What are my personal exemptions?

As a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident returning to Canada, duties and taxes are applicable on all purchases unless you qualify for a personal exemption. Personal exemptions allow you to bring goods of a certain value into the country without paying the regular duties. If you have been outside Canada for:

• Less than 24 hours, Personal exemptions do not apply to same-day cross-border shoppers;
  • 24 hours or more, you can bring in CAN$200 worth of goods free of duty and tax;

If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$200 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead you have to pay full applicable duties and taxes on all goods you bring in.

• 48 hours or more, you can bring in CAN$800 worth of goods free of duty and tax;

Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products and manufactured tobacco. For more information, visit the sections called "Alcoholic beverages" and "Tobacco products" on our Internet site.

• 7 days or more, you can bring in CAN$800 worth of goods free of duty and tax. Goods may be in your possession at time of entry to Canada but are also permitted to follow entry to Canada (via courier, mail or delivery agency).

Young children and infants are also entitled to a personal exemption. As a parent or guardian, you can make a declaration to the CBSA for a child as long as the goods you are declaring are for the child's use. Children are not entitled to alcohol or tobacco exemptions.

You should have all purchases made abroad and your receipts readily available.

Thanks, both of you.

I was interested in that info.

Archived