Buckingham Palace

Yes and yes.

We found them most interesting and the audio guide, by Prince Charles I think, very good.

Some truly spectacular and historic rooms and then the gardens are nice.

There is a souvenir shop in a tent on the grounds which carrys things only available there so if you see something you want, get it there.

You must reserve in advance and there will be a line to get in but it is well organized and SO British. Be sure to note where you check in as I believe it is a distance from the front of the Palace.

No photos inside but good books/postcards in the shop.

We did the evening tour (cost more than the regular tour) of Buckinham Palace. It is a limited amount of people with a guide to ask questions, Buckingham Palace book and a glass of champagne at the end, discount coupon. With the evening tour you exit through the main gates.

No photos allowed, even when we were walking through the parade grounds to exit through the main gates. They check your bags.

Only bathroom was at the end of the tour. Entrance for the tour, is at the side of the Palace.

They mail the tickets to you and the enevelop is stamped from Buckingham Palace.

WELL worth it.

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk

I booked the evening tour this morning. Very excited for I have heard nothing but good things about this tour. Friday, Aug. 2 is back open. It was closed earlier when the Aug. evenings were first announced.

As others have said, it is something that should not be missed. We enjoyed our tour very much. My biggest problem is I am a decent photographer and since there are no pix allowed, it was really a chore not to be able to take any pix.

We ordered our tickets on line, had them sent to our home. They came in a real official envelope with the British stamps on it. Loved it.

Cheers

Len

Just need a little help, please. We want to do the Buckingham Palace tour and also the HoHo bus tour. Should we do the entire HoHo to get an overview of London and then do Buckingham Palace or do you think it matters? I know this sounds like a silly question but since we need to buy the Palace tour tickets ahead for a designated time I need to decide which day is best.

Should we do the entire HoHo to get an overview of London and then do Buckingham Palace or do you think it matters?
I don't think it matters whether or not you've done a tour of the city first.

Depending on where you're staying, don't forget that you may also be able to use the HOHO bus as a means of getting to/from the Palace as well as for the tour that it provides.

I would never encourage anyone to use a HOHO bus in London, of course, but that's a different issue entirely. ;)

I don't think it matters whether or not you've done a tour of the city first.

Depending on where you're staying, don't forget that you may also be able to use the HOHO bus as a means of getting to/from the Palace as well as for the tour that it provides.

I would never encourage anyone to use a HOHO bus in London, of course, but that's a different issue entirely. ;)

Do you mean, not to use the HOHO for sightseeing or not to use it as transportation to Buckingham? Just confused as to the meaning of your comment. We need all the help we can get!;)

B. Cole

Do you mean, not to use the HOHO for sightseeing or not to use it as transportation to Buckingham?
I mean that I would rather nobody ever used the HOHO buses for anything, and I wish that the companies would go out of business. These buses are the very spawn of the devil.

Anyway, you don't want to use a HOHO bus to get to Buckingham. They don't go there, as it's about 50 miles away from London.

The HOHO bus will, however, take you to Buckingham Palace.

I mean that I would rather nobody ever used the HOHO buses for anything, and I wish that the companies would go out of business. These buses are the very spawn of the devil.

Anyway, you don't want to use a HOHO bus to get to Buckingham. They don't go there, as it's about 50 miles away from London.

The HOHO bus will, however, take you to Buckingham Palace.

:D:D:D

Tell us how you REALLY feel about the HoHo buses.

Don't mind Globaliser, as you can see from his posts, as a Londoner, he despises those buses.

For us tourists, they are a wonderful way to see London :D

So if you see a man running after these buses, cane in hand, trying to swat them away, you will know who that is. LOL

Cheers

Len

Thank you for all the feedback on the Evening Tour at Buckingham palace. Based on this thread, we booked a 17:30 (530pm) Evening tour in August.

We will need to leave Buckingham Palace after the tour and get to the Tower of London for the Ceremony of the Keys, to be there by 21:15 (915pm) for the 930pm ceremony. We are thinking a taxi would be most efficient.

Questions, please:

1. Is there a taxi rank close by Buckingham palace that we should head for after the tour?

2. or can a taxi be hailed from the street once we are outside the gates upon exit from the tour?

3. What is the proper way to hail a taxi in London? Stick your hand out and stand by the curb? :o

We want to follow the proper procedure especially around the palace area!:)

Thank you for your guidance!

Melissa

St James Park underground station is close by and is straight through to Tower Hill on the District line (the green one on the tube map). A lot cheaper than a black cab and probably not much difference time-wise.

Thank you for all the feedback on the Evening Tour at Buckingham palace. Based on this thread, we booked a 17:30 (530pm) Evening tour in August.

We will need to leave Buckingham Palace after the tour and get to the Tower of London for the Ceremony of the Keys, to be there by 21:15 (915pm) for the 930pm ceremony. We are thinking a taxi would be most efficient.

Questions, please:

1. Is there a taxi rank close by Buckingham palace that we should head for after the tour?

2. or can a taxi be hailed from the street once we are outside the gates upon exit from the tour?

3. What is the proper way to hail a taxi in London? Stick your hand out and stand by the curb? :o

We want to follow the proper procedure especially around the palace area!:)

Thank you for your guidance!

Melissa

To answer your questions:

1 No need to find a rank

2 Yes and you should have no difficulty finding a cab in this area

3 Yes - and try to make eye contact with the driver so he knows you aren't randomly pointing at something :) Cabs for hire will have an illuminated sign above the windscreen. It's usual, but not required, to tell the driver your destination before you get in the cab.

Unless your tour lasts more than three hours, you could get the tube, as suggested by SteveH, but it will likely take a little longer, especially as you have to find the station and then the right entrance at the Tower at the other end.

It is worth a visit and I would purchase tickets ahead of time.

In my opinion i would not miss it.

Two hours would be fine for a visit.

Keith

We toured through the palace in Sept and didn't need to get a ticket ahead of time; we just walked up to the entrance, paid and went in. It was a fabulous tour and I'm so glad we did it. Maybe in July it would be more needful to book ahead.

"We will need to leave Buckingham Palace after the tour and get to the Tower of London for the Ceremony of the Keys, to be there by 21:15 (915pm) for the 930pm ceremony. We are thinking a taxi would be most efficient."

We went from our hotel (near Buckingham) to the Ceremony of the Keys and took a taxi. Yes, it costs more than the tube, but if you're late to the Ceremony they won't let you in! Don't take a chance on missing it because it was really good! :D Taxis are easy to hail down on any street - we used them alot, quick and easy.

Questions, please:

3. What is the proper way to hail a taxi in London? Stick your hand out and stand by the curb?

To answer your questions:

1 No need to find a rank

2 Yes and you should have no difficulty finding a cab in this area

3 Yes - and try to make eye contact with the driver so he knows you aren't randomly pointing at something :) Cabs for hire will have an illuminated sign above the windscreen. It's usual, but not required, to tell the driver your destination before you get in the cab.

Normal taxi etiquette is indeed to use the front passenger side window to tell the driver your destination before you get into the cab.

Also, we usually get out of the cab at the destination and then use the front passenger side window to pay the driver after getting out.

I once did this when using a London-style taxi in Edinburgh, whereupon the driver immediately said to me "You're from London, aren't you?" :)

It's important to get into a taxi only if it's got its yellow "taxi" light on when you hail it. I don't like to encourage the taxi drivers who want to pick and choose which journeys they'll take, and I'm prepared to wait for one who's abiding by the rules and has therefore got his light on.

If you see a taxi with his light on, and it doesn't look like he's seen you, don't be shy about waving at him to attract his attention. Sometimes, it is simply hard for a driver to see people who want a cab, because the driver does still have to concentrate on the business of driving even while he's looking for business.

Thank you to everyone for the feedback on my taxi questions.

We absolutely do NOT want to be late to the Ceremony because of the no-admittance policy. I'm so OCD on being late for anything and this event just heightens that! :o which is why this time we thought a taxi would be best. I have notes already for the Plan B utilizing the tube from St. James Park. Thank you!!

As we don't utilize taxis very often during our travels (we love public transportation), so I appreciate the tips in securing a taxi. "Look for a lighted taxi light!" Thanks!

My deepest gratitude to all of you who provide your knowledge in helping those of us in our planning stages!

Melissa

Archived