Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

Is this open to all?

According to Princess "yes"...according to some staff at the dining room door "no". :(

I've been given excuses such as "in-transit passengers only" or "closed for a private party". Sometimes I've just gone to the buffet & other times pushed the issue & been admitted.

I suspect the main reason is that the MDR staff wants fewer passengers & less work on a busy turnaround day. Myself & others have mentioned this to the Maitre d' who has apologized & told his staff to follow the Princess policy for anyone to enjoy a MDR lunch between noon & 1:30 on embarkation day. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I do IT (information technology - computer stuff) for a living so what takes other hours, takes me only minutes.

I type fast so that helps as well.

I like my things in a concise list.

I started this thread after someone posted that most of the items were old on the original Princess Secrets list. I read that after starting at the first post. Someone posted that someone should start a new list and I did.

Someone posted a couple of days ago that someone should put it in a list since many things were being reposted as new. So I did make the list.

I will continue to update as I see new things. Maybe not everyday, because I do have a full time job.

Thanks,

Christie

Thanks again Christie,

Everyone was saying someone should and you're the one who did.

DW worked in IT (Informational Technology) and I worked in IT (Instructional Technology). And I must say the Instructional Technology caused a lot of confusion at conventions. Plus I was on a school board and the school's initials were MIT so then they thought I was an IT from MIT. I spent a lot of time explaining.:rolleyes:

Edited by Kentskie

With the Kindle App can you read the books that you purchased for you Kindle?

Yes, I rarely use my Kindle anymore and send books directly to my iPhone.

It's really funny watching me read a "real" book. I keep tapping or swiping the pages to get them to turn but it doesn't work. :o

It's really funny watching me read a "real" book. I keep tapping or swiping the pages to get them to turn but it doesn't work. :o

In a "real" book I sometimes tap a word to get the definition.:o

Edited by Kentskie

According to Princess "yes"...according to some staff at the dining room door "no". :(

I've been given excuses such as "in-transit passengers only" or "closed for a private party". Sometimes I've just gone to the buffet & other times pushed the issue & been admitted.

I suspect the main reason is that the MDR staff wants fewer passengers & less work on a busy turnaround day. Myself & others have mentioned this to the Maitre d' who has apologized & told his staff to follow the Princess policy for anyone to enjoy a MDR lunch between noon & 1:30 on embarkation day. ;)

Interesting. We've never had that problem and I hope we don't. One time a large BVE group was in the dining room but they still seated us. Good for you for going to someone who could help.

One additional OBC from Princess is the Loyalty. It starts when you are on your 21st Princess cruise. Amounts are:

21st thru 31st = $25

32nd thru 41st = $50

42nd thru 51st = $75

52st thru 1,000,000 = $100

Amount is per cabin based on the person with the highest number of cruises in the cabin

Anyone nearing their 1,000,000th cruise?:eek: I think anyone who does deserves the whole ship.:D

In a "real" book I sometimes tap a word to get the definition.:o

You two are so funny. I would love to see you reading a proper book. Not going to happen on a cruise though.

You two are so funny. I would love to see you reading a proper book. Not going to happen on a cruise though.

I have loved books all my life. When I was young I used to hang around libraries and spend hours lost in books. When I got older I'd visit bookstores frequently. I always said I'd never give up holding a real book in my hand for an electronic book. Then along came Kindle and I love it. I guess I'll have to eat my words or lick the screen.

Anyone nearing their 1,000,000th cruise?:eek: I think anyone who does deserves the whole ship.:D

You'd have to spend over 2700 years on board to get a million days in let alone a million cruises. Could be tough but I'll keep trying.

Edited by Kentskie

don't forget a corkscrew :) they don't usually have them to loan.

Love the pdf on all the secrets! Thanks CulverCity!

As a way not to forget the corkscrew - just put one in each suitcase you own as standard equipment, then it's always there. I put other "standard" equipment in that upper compartment of the suitcase so I don't forget them like Q-tips, scissors, banaids, etc. You know what you want. Just remember NOT to do that on carry-on suitcases.

-Rose

Love the pdf on all the secrets! Thanks CulverCity!

As a way not to forget the corkscrew - just put one in each suitcase you own as standard equipment, then it's always there. I put other "standard" equipment in that upper compartment of the suitcase so I don't forget them like Q-tips, scissors, banaids, etc. You know what you want. Just remember NOT to do that on carry-on suitcases.

-Rose

We too keep a cadre of things in our suitcase that we might need. Especially true on a cruise as there aren't stores handy and the onboard ones can't carry it all.

Thank you Lesley for the link and for responding to my question. :) I am going to surprise DH with it on our cruise when he heads out for his late evening snack. :):)

Some times you need to show them the place on the ship map handed to you on check-in where it says you are invited to have lunch in a dining room on embarkation day.

Sometimes you need to show them the Patter where it says the dining room is open for lunch that day.

regarding the Balcony Dividers being opened. We had 3 rooms next to each other and did this and it worked great except that they did not secure the doors in any way so that kept banging all the time. We took a cloths hanger and tied them so they did not bang but only took a day for those hangers to start rusting and making a mess. Next time I will back some of those plastic zip strips to secure the doors.

Thank you! That was a truly helpful Princess secret they don't tell you! I've already asked my husband for the zip ties, as we are cruising next to friends.

Some times you need to show them the place on the ship map handed to you on check-in where it says you are invited to have lunch in a dining room on embarkation day.

Sometimes you need to show them the Patter where it says the dining room is open for lunch that day.

It pays to travel with proper credentials...or as in Casablanca with letters of transit. ;)

One additional OBC from Princess is the Loyalty. It starts when you are on your 21st Princess cruise. Amounts are:

21st thru 31st = $25

32nd thru 41st = $50

42nd thru 51st = $75

52st thru 1,000,000 = $100

And after 1,000,000 you get diddly squat!:)

Also, regarding embarkation lunch, one ship we were on had a sign announcing it.

Thanks again Christie,

Everyone was saying someone should and you're the one who did.

DW worked in IT (Informational Technology) and I worked in IT (Instructional Technology). And I must say the Instructional Technology caused a lot of confusion at conventions. Plus I was on a school board and the school's initials were MIT so then they thought I was an IT from MIT. I spent a lot of time explaining.:rolleyes:

I work in public education. I do more Info Tech but still get roped into the Instructional Tech. I have been in the same district for 19 years.

I hope that this thread does not die and others will continue to post secrets not yet mentioned.

Thanks,

Christie